PDA

View Full Version : DO I have to wind hank into ball?

blueygh2
05-26-2008, 12:04 PM
Just a general question,...

I found out that my yarn is actually a hank, but didn't bother me much. Just opened it and started working off it...

Now I'm already into the knitted piece, and didn't have much difficulty knitting from the hank, with the hank around my neck.

So do you (should you) wind the hank into a ball before you start knitting ? (I have more hanks)

Knitting_Guy
05-26-2008, 12:05 PM
Most people do but if it works for you that way and isn't getting tangled up, go for it. There's no wrong way if it works for you.

blueygh2
05-26-2008, 12:07 PM
Ah I knew you would answer :D
(Ha! Intuition!! :D)

Well, sometimes it's a little tangled but overall, there isn't any problem, and it keep my neck warm :D

panchita
05-26-2008, 12:12 PM
I've found some hanks to be VERY tangly. Nice LYSs will wind hanks into balls for you. If it's not tangling up on you, save time: go with the hank!

khaosx5
05-26-2008, 12:19 PM
I usually wind into balls - use the kids to help!
:knitting:

Cirrus
05-26-2008, 06:57 PM
It could turn into a tangled mess, but if it's working ok so far, well then stick with it. However, there is a tutorial here on how to wind it if you change your mind. (Actually, it may be too late now unless you can find the other end.)

If it gets too hot around the neck, you could loop it over the back of a chair.

ecb
05-26-2008, 08:07 PM
(Actually, it may be too late now unless you can find the other end.)

if you DO decide to wind it into a ball, do a CPB (center pull ball) so you can start from the end U R working with right now
it will make sense, you just start on the working end of the yarn from your stuff now

ecb

nitewyngs
05-28-2008, 09:35 PM
You don't have to. But the one time I have not done so caused me to have an unruly mess. It has been two days and I am still working on the tangled mess. :(

redheadrachel
05-29-2008, 07:11 PM
It should be fine if you keep it around your neck, but it's generally inconvenient :) I'd say wind it up, it's good practice! And you won't have difficulty dealing with it between knittings, when you take it off your neck.

blueygh2
05-29-2008, 07:14 PM
But the one time I have not done so caused me to have an unruly mess. It has been two days and I am still working on the tangled mess. :(

I can feel your pain and frustration... really...
I have made it into a ball now, but I find it less convenient to work from than working from the hank around my neck, honestly....

Lisa R.
05-30-2008, 09:33 AM
[quote]But the one time I have not done so caused me to have an unruly mess. It has been two days and I am still working on the tangled mess. :([(quote]

I can feel your pain and frustration... really...
I have made it into a ball now, but I find it less convenient to work from than working from the hank around my neck, honestly....

Well, I have to say, I haven't ever had the Knitting Police show up at my door, so I'd say do whatever works for you. The general consensus is that working with an "unballed" hank is tangly and inconvenient---but you don't go to knitting jail if you find that not to be so. :-D

ArtLady1981
06-03-2008, 05:04 AM
You don't have to, but...I would... and I do.