PDA

View Full Version : An answer to our energy problem?

Pat in Ca
05-27-2008, 04:52 PM
http://www.suntimes.com/news/huntley/971442,CST-EDT-hunt27.article

whatdayathink??

Knitting_Guy
05-27-2008, 05:10 PM
I've been a proponent of nuclear power for a long time. We need more plants.

The biggest issue is what to do with spent fuel rods. Burying them in concrete is simply not a good way to dispose of them. We need a good, safe way to dispose of radioactive waste and so far nothing proposed is really a great alternative.

evona
05-27-2008, 05:25 PM
They've been trying to develop fusion technology and if I had to do it all over again I think I would become a Nuclear Scientist just to get in on the research of this interesting topic. My BF says that I would be boring if I were a Nuclear Scientist though :roflhard:

This is a snippet from this link:
http://science.howstuffworks.com/fusion-reactor.htm

Fusion reactors have been getting a lot of press recently because they offer some major advantages over other power sources. They will use abundant sources of fuel, they will not leak radiation above normal background levels and they will produce less radioactive waste than current fission reactors.

Nobody has put the technology into practice yet, but working reactors aren't actually that far off. Fusion reactors are now in experimental stages at several laboratories in the United States and around the world.

suzeeq
05-27-2008, 10:49 PM
I've been a proponent of nuclear power for a long time. We need more plants.

The biggest issue is what to do with spent fuel rods. Burying them in concrete is simply not a good way to dispose of them. We need a good, safe way to dispose of radioactive waste and so far nothing proposed is really a great alternative.

Yeah, sending them to NV or WY is not a great idea. I'm concerned with the quality of the construction too. Gov't contracts are let out to the lowest bidder, and many contractors take shortcuts or use poor materials to make more money out of them. I'm not so sure the inspection teams would catch all of them.

debb
05-28-2008, 11:17 AM
nuclear power has many problems other than the waste products which are bad enough. It requires massive amounts of water at a time in which water scarcity is a growing problem. It would not be economically feasible without the Price-Anderson Act which is basically our government insuring the industry since investors won't. The security issues are real (one of the original targets of the 9-11 hijackers was to be a nuclear plant, but they wrongly assumed it would be heavily protected.)

Renewable energy sources have not even come close to being fully developed yet - I would prefer to try the more ecological and economical friendly alternatives before resorting to nuclear.

evona
05-28-2008, 01:00 PM
Renewable energy sources have not even come close to being fully developed yet - I would prefer to try the more ecological and economical friendly alternatives before resorting to nuclear.

Many of the things we are currently developing are simply bandaids. Things like Ethanol use more coal and oil based energy to create than its worth currently. Plus, drought conditions can threaten and destroy our corn crops. Then we wouldn't only have an energy problem, we'll have a food shortage.

I don't disagree that we should continue to research these options, but I also think that nuclear energy should be developed for the long term. Nothing will be perfect, but many of these problems can be worked out if effort is put into it. Nothing - including more drilling as some people might suggest - should ever be jumped into just because we hurt now.

iza
05-28-2008, 01:14 PM
They've been trying to develop fusion technology and if I had to do it all over again I think I would become a Nuclear Scientist just to get in on the research of this interesting topic. My BF says that I would be boring if I were a Nuclear Scientist though :roflhard:

As a physicist, I object! :teehee: Nuclear scientists are hot. :roflhard:

I think that we have to be pragmatic and look at all the possibilities. I don't think there is only one solution to the problem. I don't really feel safe with nuclear reactors right now because of the waste problem. But I do think that we need to continue the research in fusion. As always in research, we don't know if it will end up being a viable solution, but I think we need to try!

evona
05-28-2008, 01:25 PM
As a physicist, I object! :teehee: Nuclear scientists are hot. :roflhard:

I think that we have to be pragmatic and look at all the possibilities. I don't think there is only one solution to the problem. I don't really feel safe with nuclear reactors right now because of the waste problem. But I do think that we need to continue the research in fusion. As always in research, we don't know if it will end up being a viable solution, but I think we need to try!

Agreed on both the nuclear scientist being hot and taking a pragmatic look at all possibilities. :rofl: