PDA

View Full Version : Linux Screenshot

Knitting_Guy
05-27-2008, 09:32 PM
I know most folks aren't familiar with Linux. It's just an operating system used to run the computer.

I have mine set up with what I think are some pretty cool features. I can have as many desktop screens as I like, and each one can look different if I want. I have some special effects set up for mine using some software called Compiz-Fusion and associated support applications.

It provides some pretty cool eye candy including window animations like wobbly windows, open, close, maximize, and minimize animation effects, and a bunch of others. Probably one of the coolest effects is that I have my four desktops set up on a cube that I can rotate from one desktop screen to another.

Yeah, it's mostly eye candy, but I like it.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2202/2529949848_d25dc7216f.jpg?v=0

knitasha
05-27-2008, 09:38 PM
Neat. Are there any disadvantages versus danged Windows?

Knitting_Guy
05-27-2008, 09:42 PM
Neat. Are there any disadvantages versus danged Windows?

Not really. Some of the hardware makers, especially printers, refuse to cooperate and either create Linux drivers or release the code to make drivers (which we can do ourselves), but if you buy good quality hardware there's no problems. HP has always been the best as far as working with the Linux community and all of their stuff works in Linux without any hoops to jump through.

I have been able to make any hardware work, but sometimes it takes a bit of work to do it.

Advantages: no virus, no spyware, very hard to crack, it's 100% free.

Disadvantages: Not all hardware is supported. Yet. Minor as most is.

Did I mention it's free? :mrgreen:

hummingbird
05-27-2008, 10:27 PM
I have both Linux and Windows XP on this computer. I have the windows for some games.

HamaLee
05-27-2008, 11:53 PM
I've been running Linux on this machine since I got it, I love it. Everything works just dandy. I can also run Windows XP on a virtual machine within my Linux set up. I set that up in case there were incompatibility issues (and also to teach myself how to do such a thing).

I've had no issues and haven't even run the virtual machine in the months. The only reason I ever did was to watch/hear some audio and visual stuff while I figured out how to get all my hardware working. There are plenty of helpful Linux forums to get you through things.

I'm currently running Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbons, haven't upgraded to Hardy Heron yet. I've heard there are some issues to sort out playing commercial DVDs, but there are already fixes available. The version of Linux I use is like Linux-lite for fakers. It's a graphical user interface, very intuitive and almost exactly like Windows. So far the few things I've found different from Windows are things that I said "Oh man, that's SO much better!" :teehee:

Oh! And I LOVE that my operating system has NEVER been sullied with the evil that is Internet Explorer! :lol: Ubuntu comes prepackaged with all the software you need to get up and running, like Windows. So you have media players, games, blah blah blah and Firefox as the browser.

Debkcs
05-28-2008, 12:24 AM
I'm SO confused. Just when I have myself convinced to buy a Mac, Linux sounds really good.

Did he mention it's free?;) :p

Ronda
05-28-2008, 07:30 AM
That looks cool - sounds cool - and it's free!?! I would love to switch over, but since I work from home and I work full time and I'm afraid I'll royally mess up my work computer if I try to set that up myself, I'm afraid I won't be able to do it. I bet my computer guru guy would do it for me (for a price), but I can't afford to be without my computer long enough for him to do it!

HamaLee
05-28-2008, 09:10 AM
That looks cool - sounds cool - and it's free!?! I would love to switch over, but since I work from home and I work full time and I'm afraid I'll royally mess up my work computer if I try to set that up myself, I'm afraid I won't be able to do it. I bet my computer guru guy would do it for me (for a price), but I can't afford to be without my computer long enough for him to do it!

What kind of work do you do? It's really easy to set up--stick the CD in and go. I burned a copy of the OS from the website and use the CD like any other. If you need to be using complicated graphics software, etc, it may be more involved than that though.

You could partition your drive and run Linux on one half and Windows with all your work stuff on the other for awhile, to get used to things.

I understand being nervous though when your work is in the balance. Maybe you can save making the switch until the magical day you have a "spare" computer. Hehe.

And yes--FREE, totally free! And the forums give better support than I've ever received from Microsoft. Again--for free! You can also buy some How-to books at a bookstore for each build.

Miss Moosey
05-28-2008, 11:10 AM
Very cool! My brother is also a worshipper of Linux; he begged me to knit him this idol of Linux: http://knitty.com/ISSUEwinter04/PATTpasha.html

Rebecca

iza
05-28-2008, 11:29 AM
Oh cool! I haven't used Linux in a while but I worked solely in Linux for many years. I LOVED having multiple desktops screens - this is really what I miss the most. :teehee:

My old desktop machine is dual boot (with an old Red Hat version) and I'm thinking of using it as a Linux box... But I don't know much about distributions anymore so I have no idea what I should install.
I heard really good things about Ubuntu, maybe I'll go with that. I want to do software development for Linux, do any of you guys know if the IDEs (like Eclipse) work on most distributions? :??

Jaxhil
05-29-2008, 08:46 AM
My DH has Linux set up on our comp and he's showed us that cube thing-my 3 boys (and the girl, too, lol) loved it-its really cool, eh?

Seems like I have used Ubuntu, too...I of course know nothing of the inner workings of my computer..I just wanna turn it on and surf :mrgreen: Thank God for my sweet hubby :p

knitasha
05-29-2008, 07:41 PM
Oh! And I LOVE that my operating system has NEVER been sullied with the evil that is Internet Explorer! :lol: Ubuntu comes prepackaged with all the software you need to get up and running, like Windows. So you have media players, games, blah blah blah and Firefox as the browser.

My first computer was a plain vanilla IBM with a white-on-green display and DOS; no Internet or email. Imagine!) But I've never ever stooped to using Explorer. Hey, if Firefox ever dies, I've got Opera as a backup. I LIKE the idea of having Windows XP installed virtually. This Vista thing is not much to my liking; XP and I were much more compatible.