PDA

View Full Version : Freaking out!

blueeyes28
05-28-2008, 06:58 AM
Ok my husband is a diesel mechanic he has had the same job for almost 6 years and works about 60 hours a week so that I can stay home with the kids,although he has not been happy with the job for awhile he was going to wait untill after our vacation in September to start looking for a new job.Well a great opportuninty actually fell in his lap,my neighbor was talking to one of his friends who happened to mention that he was looking for a diesel mechanic and my neighbor went on and on about what a hard worker my husband is and the next thing you know he has somebody offering him a job when he has not even started looking yet.The place according to my husband is very family oriented the bennefits package is good and he will get a cost of living raise every year(he only gets raises at the other place when he threatens to leave)My problem is although he is starting at a dollar more an hour he won't get as much overtime so his take home will be less so I would like to go back to work just on the weekends doing per diem c.n.a work but I am scared that my kids won't like it and that I won't know what I am doing I have been home with kids for the last 5 years.Any words of wisdom? After 90 days my husband will get a raise of 1.50 per hour so although I know I don't have to get a job it has got me thinking about it.

auburnchick
05-28-2008, 07:30 AM
First of all, are you sure that you will have to go back to work? Can you stretch your $$ any more? It sounds like you love staying home. Sometimes we think we can't do without such-an-such when really that item/luxury isn't really a necessity.

If you still find that you will need to work a few hours each week, maybe you could find something that is more in line with your children's schedules. Are they in school yet? Could you get a job with the schools as a paraprofessional or a cafeteria worker? Then you would have the same schedule as them.

It sounds like the thing you are having the hardest time with is change. I totally understand.

I stayed home full-time for eight years. When we moved to our current location, we started traveling more for my daughter's soccer games, leading me to recognize that I needed to get a job. It totally broke my heart. However, I was fortunate to find a job that was part-time and flexible with the schedule I wanted. Plus, and this was a biggie, when I interviewed for the job, I was very up front about what I could do. That is, I told them that if my kids were sick or needed me, I had to be able to go to them without a hassle from employers. I've had two other jobs since tht first one back, and each time, I've presented my needs. It helps to be on the up and up...letting them know what you can do ("I'll work hard for you..."). You want it to be a good fit for you.

However, you'll still feel bad about missing things. You won't be able to get around that. Change is hard, but the kids will take their cue from you. How you handle it will be a life lesson for them.

:hug:

Oh, and it sounds like your dh's new job will be wonderful in the long run...more time together as a family...you can't put a price on that. :thumbsup:

blueeyes28
05-28-2008, 08:00 AM
Thanks!You are absolutely right,I am not sure that I will need to get a job but I want to feel like I am prepared to get a job ya know I feel like a shy little kid being dropped off at kindergarten for the first time.Change never bothered me before now all of the sudden it feels so scary.

bethany
05-28-2008, 08:54 AM
I can sympathize. I am able to do PRN work too, but I tend to do it when husband can be home with the kids. Maybe home care for a CNA will help you set your schedule up more like that? (and is it more $ per hour for home care for CNAs? It is for me...) ;) Good luck. Change never used to be scary for me either. I make myself change it up sometimes so I freak out less!

Cynamar
05-28-2008, 11:03 AM
Just don't get a job at your LYS!!! That will not help the finances.

vaknitter
05-28-2008, 01:03 PM
While I don't have children, I do work a PRN job. I have two professional licenses and work full-time at one and PRN at the other to keep my license. I too get that shy kid feeling going into a new PRN place, but it really is nice once you get started. You could always go in just a few hours a few days a week if the kids are in school. If the kids are not in school maybe just look at stretching the money until the kids are in school and then pick-up hours.
Not sure what PRN wage is for a CNA, but perhaps you could just work one weekend a month and have enough $$ to allow for luxuries. The kids may be resistant at first, but if they are home getting Daddy time I bet they'll be okay.

Jan in CA
05-28-2008, 04:34 PM
There may be some way that you can cut back a little to make up the difference. Check the budget before getting the job.

If you do have to get a job you know what? The kids will survive for awhile. You just have to tell them that Mommy has to do this for a little while and that you are there with them all week. Daddy can be there on weekends for them. Kids are very resilient and adaptable especially if they understand the reasons. :thumbsup:

Debkcs
05-29-2008, 03:09 AM
You might want to check out agency work. I did a lot of that as a nurse, especially after my DH was diagnosed with MS. Being able to choose your own hours is a real bonus, and often times, you can get four hour shifts, at least here in Oregon. Sorry, don't know a thing about Maine except that L.L. Bean is there.

It's also possible for CNA's to get homecare shifts. Easier on your body, and often pay a bit more, I understand.

Good luck, it's hard to think about leaving your children to go back to work. BTDT.

blueeyes28
05-29-2008, 06:35 AM
Well he gave his notice to his current employer yesterday and I think they are going to try to offer him more money to stay,this is not the first time this has happened it's more like the 3rd time he has always ended up staying before but I hope this time is different I don't want him to miss this opportunity.The last time he found a new job they gave him a raise,started paying our medical insurance and gave him another week of vacation they are not in a position now where they can offer much more than that so I will keep my fingers crossed that they just let him go.Thanks for all the advice from everybodyI am kind of looking forward to stepping out of my comfort zone a little bit .

cphkat
05-29-2008, 10:55 AM
I hope it works out for you and your DH. Change is hard but it does get the blood flowing! I read the book 'Who moved my cheese' a few years ago and thought it put life changes in great perspective. Maybe it would help you. Crossed Fingers

auburnchick
05-29-2008, 11:05 AM
Well he gave his notice to his current employer yesterday and I think they are going to try to offer him more money to stay,this is not the first time this has happened it's more like the 3rd time he has always ended up staying before but I hope this time is different I don't want him to miss this opportunity.The last time he found a new job they gave him a raise,started paying our medical insurance and gave him another week of vacation they are not in a position now where they can offer much more than that so I will keep my fingers crossed that they just let him go.Thanks for all the advice from everybodyI am kind of looking forward to stepping out of my comfort zone a little bit .

I hope that your husband sticks to his guns. It sounds like the company does what it needs to in order to keep him but then does little else afterwards. The shorter hours, regular raises, and benefits that the new company can provide sound much better.

Hugs to you and your dh. Changing jobs is difficult...lots of pressure on all sides.

:hug:

saracidaltendencies
05-29-2008, 11:36 AM
I hope everything works out for you! I know how ya feel, I've been a SAHM for 6+ years now and it's getting to the point where I'm probably going to have to seriously consider getting a job again. (haha...notice the run around even saying it?? :teehee:) I dread the thought. I think a lot of it has to do with my comfort zone right now and not wanting to face that change, but, it also has a lot to do with the fact that for the past 6 years I've stayed home with kids and have been pretty much shut off from the outside world and I'm afraid I'd have no patience with people....lol....Good luck to you and your family!

blueeyes28
05-29-2008, 11:39 AM
Thanks.I feel much better today I think I just went into panic mode because things had been the same for a long time, growing up I never had a whole lot a stability so I guess I got a little to comfortable.

blueeyes28
06-04-2008, 07:20 AM
My DH starts his new job on Monday and I have an interview today:) it is at a facility that I use to work at, I am going to start doing 1 or 2 weekends a month and maybe some holidays(not any of the good ones though:wink: ) because they are double time and a half.That is of course assuming I get the job.My husbands keeps telling me that I don't have to go to work if I don't want too but now I kinda want too,as long as I can be home all week with kids and twoo full weekends a month I think a little time away from home will be good for me,my mother stayed home with us for like 16 years and it was very hard for her to go back to work.