PDA

View Full Version : I hate worrying about the weather!

figaro
05-30-2008, 05:45 PM
The weather right now is fine and predictable. They said that it would cloud over tonight and it is. They are also saying that we will have thunderstorms tomorrow and they will be severe for NYC after 3pm. That means it will hit us around noon to 1 pm tomorrow, the thunderstorms may be severe as in straight line winds and possibly a tornado somewhere. I hate this, I am worrying about it right now, and I feel stuck. I know how bad the storms are that are heading our way. And the last time it was like this, I was by myself with the 3 girls so at least hubby will be with me this time, at that time, the only way I was able to somewhat relax was to get the girls, the dog and cat into the the truck in the garage basement with my wind up radio, I was terrified. But I am not sure he realizes how bad I am right now. I can feel it in my stomach. UGH!

I know there are a lot of people who are much worse than I am but I still feel horrible right now. As much as I love it here, I miss not having to worry about the storms.

Just wanted to release a little bit here....

Becky Morgan
05-30-2008, 07:31 PM
We understand, believe me. The way son and I dealt with it was to educate ourselves. Tomorrow, you can watch local radar and see hazardous weather updates on this site--
http://www.erh.noaa.gov/phi/
and get a lot of good information on this site--
http://www.spc.noaa.gov/
(which will also give you a constantly updated radar loop.)
Now, if you notice that first site, there's a SKYWARN link:
http://www.erh.noaa.gov/phi/skywarn/training.html#sched
Tomorrow evening, there's a SKYWARN class in Stroudsburg, PA, if that's close enough to you, and there are several more coming up. It's a two-hour class anyone can understand and enjoy, and it teaches you what to look for. We've all been SKYWARN trained, and as a matter of fact we all took the advanced class last year.
If you like that, you and your kids can look at some of these links...
http://www.srh.weather.gov/jetstream/
Jetstream is "online weather education for everybody"--really interesting!
http://www.fema.gov/kids/
This one has a lot of games, coloring pages and such.

We live where it used to be safe but isn't any more. I can't remember my parents being seriously afraid of flash flooding when I was a kid, but these days it's a constant worry. We set the world rainfall rate record in 1990, for pity's sake! Our local TV stations try to whip up panic to get ratings, while they often miss real severe weather by a mile, so we NEED to know what's really going on.

Wanda Witch
05-30-2008, 08:43 PM
Oh, my, this is about the first time I've lived in tornado alley. I had no idea when we moved here, Northern Texas, that it was in this path. In the suburb of Dallas we live in we have experienced several touch downs, or whatever they are called. I know where you are coming from. I wish, in the parts of the country, prone to this they, the builders, would put in basements. I was here over a year ago by myself, with my little dog, Pequina, and there was the wailing of a siren. At first I had NO idea what it was. Nowhere to go in a house this size, which is large enough, no closets inside the depths of the house, etc. Tuned into the TV and thought well this might be it. I hated earthquakes, and who does not, when I lived in Southern and Northern California but tornado scares are beyond me. Oh, and by the way, when my DH came home from, the hospital of all things in the New Orleans area, he wondered why I had been so frightened. I understand completely. One can become terrified. And, with children, that must be the very worst scenario. I will be glad to see autumn here. How 'bout you?

saracidaltendencies
05-30-2008, 10:25 PM
I know just how ya feel. :hug: Today was a gorgeous day but thunderstorms were predicted for the evening...Well, it has finally clouded up and the lightening is starting in, and, we're currently under a tornado watch for another half an hour. We've actually been pretty lucky so far this year, this is the first tornado watch despite all the horrible storms we've been having.

Hopefully the weather won't get too bad over there!

JessicaR
05-30-2008, 10:57 PM
We are 15 miles south of the EF5 tornado that has killed 7 so far in Iowa.

katknit
05-31-2008, 09:48 AM
Oh Debbie, I understand that terrible anxiety. I think Becky is correct in saying that feeling prepared helps. Perhaps you can consult with your local fire dept or emergency services and set up a place at your home where you can always go for safety. Stock it with water, a little food for the kids, and some books, toys, or games so you have something to occupy the kids and yourself with.
Best wishes,
Linda

figaro
05-31-2008, 10:03 AM
I have been all over the weather sites and it looks like we are going to have thunderstorms, no one is saying the potential for a tornado is there (I hope!Crossed Fingers) but we are going to be in the basement while the thunderstorms are around, dog and cat included. This is one thing I was not prepared for while on the west coast. We had earthquakes and yes I hated those too (they just happen, no way of predicting one at all). At least I am aware of the weather more over here. I keep hoping and hoping that most of the storms dissipate before they make it here (that has happened quite a bit so far).

Thank you all for not making me feel like a worry wart over nothing!:hug:

Mike
05-31-2008, 10:19 AM
I'm here in tornado ally, and I don't have a basement. Plus I have Panic Disorder.

Maybe it's because I've lived here where tornadoes are common most of my life, or maybe it's because worrying about them won't do anything, but they don't bother me.

The only time a storm bothered me was when I was pretty much stuck at home because of agoraphobia and trying to get over it by having people take me places while I was on Xanax.
My sister took me to Hobby Lobby and a storm blew up.
Then I felt trapped.

I would feel a lot better if I had some kind of shelter (except I would worry it would collapse, which is what you generally die from in a tornado anyway) but I don't so I just take a nap.
If it happens it happens.
I just wish I could get back to that Taoist way of life for everything else I worry about.

I started crochet (and then kitting) because of the PD getting out of control. Just go to your shelter and knit. By the time you've done a few rows (if you're as slow as me) the storm will be over.

Also instead of hiding where you're be wondering what is going on and if every gust of wind you hear is a tornado you may do better if you watch the storm. It's the waiting and wondering that really gets the anxiety to build out of control.

knitncook
05-31-2008, 10:40 AM
Do you have a weather radio? I *love* my weather radio. It has a battery back up (simple 9V for when the power goes out). It has been a lifesaver, literally. We live in a part of the country that has more tornados than even Tornado Alley (although we don't get the great big super T4's and T5's - all T1's or T2's - "twisters in comparison but they can still mess up your house). We have thunderstorms on a weekly basis with tornado watches/warnings.

There is no need to cower in the basement during a thunderstorm, but be prepared. When we are under tornado watches, the kids have to have their shoes on. If we need to run to the hallway (no basements down here) they will already have shoes on so that they can safely get out just in case. The kids know the whole routine and are familiar with "Get up! NOW! Tornado" even in the middle of the night.

The nice thing about the weather radio is that you can track where the storms/tornados are going. And being familiar with your area is important. So when the automated voice says, "The storm will be over Warrington at 7:45, over Beulah at 7:55, over Cantonment at 8:00" I know that it is a fast moving storm that is moving to the west of us and isn't coming this way.

Also "test" your local television stations to see which one gives you the best coverage. We have one down here that can do street-by-street coverage of where storms and tornados are going. Very helpful in relieving those anxieties. Just because a tornado is in Pensacola doesn't mean it is going to be anywhere near us. But *knowing* that is important.

gailf
05-31-2008, 01:10 PM
The thunderstorms are starting now in NYC.