PDA

View Full Version : Who Woulda Thunk . . .

evona
05-30-2008, 07:06 PM
that by cutting costs Walmart actually forced their suppliers to be more green and thereby became a peripheral eco supporter:

http://money.cnn.com/2008/05/28/magazines/fortune/kapner_walmart.fortune/index.htm

I am not a Walmart supporter, but I'm not a rabid Walmart hater either. Just thought the article was interesting.

Ronda
06-03-2008, 07:02 AM
I don't want to take away from the original intent of your post, but your avatar and the "caption" about your makeshift shelter has me quite curious! Have you posted about this elsewhere on the board?

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
06-03-2008, 09:20 AM
that's why i buy from companies like the ones that make chlorox and windex. not only are they 10 cents cheaper than the other brand names (i HATE off brand cleaners... they don't work as well for me and they're really just baking soda and some other chemicals) and they had a commercial on about how they use the methane that's produced from a nearby dump to power their factories which enables them to pass savings on to us.

what's truly disgusting is that MORE PLACES aren't doing this. They're all worrieda bout the methane that comes from cows farting, yet if you take the I-90 or Route 5 heading west in NY, between Fonda and Canajoharie you see this field carved out of the woods with white pipes... it's the dump and that's methane coming out. In portland, Maine, regional waste systems uses the energy it gets from burning the trash in the facility to power it (and said if they were in downtown portland they could power the WHOLE CITY) and showed us the process for how they cleaned the emissions so that what comes out is nothing but clean water.

vaknitter
06-03-2008, 12:17 PM
"We're" building a new hosp and it will be partially powered by a methane generator - pulling methane from the dump across the interstate. From reading the articles in the paper collecting and compressing methane into a usable for and pumping to a facility and building/buying a generator is quite expensive. According to the planning board more expensive than a regular generator. They are doing to try and make the new hosp "green".
I definitely think companies can go to less packaging and large corporations should do more to promote recycling within their organizations.

evona
06-03-2008, 12:34 PM
I agree that business, people and the environment do not have to be mutually exclusive things. Just look at the business model of Patagonia. Not only is that brand successful, its environmentally conscious and has consistently been voted one of the best employers in the U.S. They're motto at their headquarters in Ventura is "If the waves are up our employees should go surfing" Some people think that this promotes a lackadaisical attitude among their employees, but the opposite has been true. Patagonia employees are fiercely loyal and super productive. They're child care incentives are first class as well.

And as far as big business is concerned; one day as I was drivintg down the hill above the Ralphs I usually shopped at I noticed hundreds of skylights on its roof. I thought to myself "what a neat idea" Not only does that particular store now save tons of money on electricity, which equals more savings for their customers, but they are also doing a good deed for the environment. Plus they have been buying from local farmers more and more. The environment might not have been their first concern (who knows), but I don't mind if the environment is an unintended recipient of good will - as long as its a recipient.

All that said, I usually avoid Walmart for other reasons, but I admit that there have been occasions where my pocket book could not take a hit and I had to go there for a needed item or two - like yarn . . . just kidding!!! :roflhard:

I also usually shop for produce at our local farmer's market. Much of the time its cheaper because I am not paying a middle man to bring the vegetables for the market and I'm not paying the markets rent, plus I am getting fresher vegetables that don't have to travel across country or overseas.

I just about died when I bought garlic from Trader Joes a while ago and it said "product of China". I mean come on . . . Gilroy, CA is the garlic capital. I could have driven there and back for less than what it cost to ship garlic from CHINA!!! I just couldn't stomach buying my garlic from so far away. Heck, I can grow it myself if I had a sunny spot to put it. That's when I decided that the farmers market was the place for me.

evona
06-03-2008, 12:47 PM
I don't want to take away from the original intent of your post, but your avatar and the "caption" about your makeshift shelter has me quite curious! Have you posted about this elsewhere on the board?

:teehee: No other post, but my profile states that I'm into backpacking. That particular picture was taken on my BF's and my hike back down from Clouds Rest in Yosemite (elevation 9,926 ft). It was mid September and we heard on our way up that there was an early snowstorm coming so we did our entire ascent up Clouds Rest in one day and tried to high tail it out. About half way down I was beat so we decided to stop and at least have dinner. Well, it started snowing during dinner. The remainder of our hike down was the steepest and hardest part of the trip and the sun had set. We realized that the snow made it too dangerous to get down and we had no tent (we were camping without one prior to this) so we had to find a place to rig our tarp for shelter. It was actually quite an experience and I'm glad to have had it. It was beautiful the next morning as we woke to a few people post holing their way up. We left because we didn't want to stay another cold snowy night with wet down bags, but as it turned out it didn't snow again for the rest of our vacation. Oh well, we had fun driving around the gold country after that night anyway.

Ronda
06-03-2008, 12:50 PM
Incredible! Thanks for sharing that story!

evona
06-03-2008, 01:02 PM
that's why i buy from companies like the ones that make chlorox and windex. not only are they 10 cents cheaper than the other brand names (i HATE off brand cleaners... they don't work as well for me and they're really just baking soda and some other chemicals) and they had a commercial on about how they use the methane that's produced from a nearby dump to power their factories which enables them to pass savings on to us.

Hmmm - that's interesting about how they use the methane from dumps.

I actually use baking soda, vinegar and hydrogen peroxide to clean and I have no complaints. Plus, I make my own detergent for my clothes because its cheaper and I enjoy making it.

The product I make is not really that different than commercial detergent since the bad stuff in those things are banned anyway, but I do cut down on waste considering that my detergent doesn't go in a new container every time I make it and the raw material last a whole lot longer than a bottle of pre-made detergent. I have even used baking soda, vinegar and boiling water to clear drains and it works like a charm.

My kids are 18 and 16 so I don't really have the constant need for bleach as I did when my kids were younger and would come home with any number of ground in stains so I don't really see any need to go back to commercial cleaning products for my particular household.

Pat in Ca
06-03-2008, 02:12 PM
Too funny!! I started a thread with this same article "titled"
"Largest grocer reduces prices 30%" and it always amazes me how many Walmart haters there are.. (conventional wisdom is usually wrong) I have seen other threads on Walmart and even when people poiint out the positives (there are MANY, ) people have been fed the idea that Walmart is some how different than other big retailers..Bottom line.. Walmart serves the consumer.. (that is us) ..if it did not, it would not exist.. that is how capitalism and our competitive market work..

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
06-03-2008, 04:46 PM
I use bleach not for the kids clothing really (i buy All laundry soap, it doesn't kill my allergies AND gets the clothes clean and keeps them looking new longer) but for the floors and counters. I have cats that mark and kids that spill kool-aid and dont clean it up right away. I go through a gallon of bleach every 6 or 7 months which isn't too bad AND i buy chlorox (not the cheap store brands) because it works better.

evona
06-03-2008, 04:55 PM
I use bleach not for the kids clothing really (i buy All laundry soap, it doesn't kill my allergies AND gets the clothes clean and keeps them looking new longer) but for the floors and counters. I have cats that mark and kids that spill kool-aid and dont clean it up right away. I go through a gallon of bleach every 6 or 7 months which isn't too bad AND i buy chlorox (not the cheap store brands) because it works better.

When I did buy bleach I did buy Clorox as well. I didn't think the other brands worked as well either. Seemed like they were more water.

My kitties got some very bad habits when my DD brought home a stray kitten. That teeny kitten was more like having a St. Bernard in the house and my older female cat just flipped out and was peeing everywhere. We got him his shots, got him neutered and found him a home, but because my kitties could still smell the other cat the behavior continued. I found this stuff called Anti Icky Poo. Its a really strong enzyme cleaner. I bought it from a janitorial supply company and washed my clothes with it, cleaned the cat litter box with it and mopped all my floors with it (I have all tile floors). I've had no problems since. I wash out the litter box weekly, but I still use Anti Icky Poo to really clean it once a month.