PDA

View Full Version : How do you start a blog? >>>

boo1
06-02-2008, 04:36 PM
And how do you keep it private? Like if I didn't want a friend over that could read it-can you password protect it?

I know nothing about blogs but I have a lot on my mind right now.

Thanks in advance!>

katknit
06-02-2008, 06:37 PM
I have 2 blogs at Wordpress, which makes the whole process easy. Yes, you can choose to make what you write private.
www.wordpress.com
I'd be happy to help you on Wordpress if that's the way you decide to go.

fireflyknitter
06-02-2008, 06:43 PM
I've used Blogger and Livejournal and they're both pretty easy to use. I know that Livejournal lets you make blog posts private-- you can make it so all your posts are automatically private or on a post-by-post basis. Blogger I've not used as much but I assume it would be pretty much the same deal.

Jan in CA
06-02-2008, 08:06 PM
I have one on Blogger, but I haven't updated it in ages.. pretty much since I got Ravelry. ;) It can be another time suck so be prepared.

boo1
06-03-2008, 05:54 PM
I have 2 blogs at Wordpress, which makes the whole process easy. Yes, you can choose to make what you write private.
www.wordpress.com
I'd be happy to help you on Wordpress if that's the way you decide to go.

I feel a little overwhelmed trying to start. Basically, I want the entire blog private from everyone. Where do I tell it that?

I guess i need to just get started.....?

lactosefree
06-04-2008, 10:25 AM
I feel a little overwhelmed trying to start. Basically, I want the entire blog private from everyone. Where do I tell it that?

I guess i need to just get started.....?

Hi Boo, :waving:

In Wordpress, after you set up your account, you can set the privacy settings in your Dashboard. The Dashboard is your main control area for managing your blog.

Once you're in your Dashboard, you'll see a little link called 'settings' on the very right hand side. Click on the 'settings' link and you'll see little sub-headings in the white banded area. Click on 'privacy' and it will give you three options. Click on the last one that says 'I would like my blog to be visible only to users I choose' and then not choose anyone if you want to keep in private.

I can't remember if there is a prompt when you first set up asking if you want it private or not, but if there isn't you can always use your Dashboard to control the settings.

Good luck!

boo1
06-04-2008, 11:18 AM
Since DH and I share this computer, if he were to try to read it, couldn't he just try to log in, click on 'forgot password' (assuming they have one of those) and get it?

Anyone?

Thanks in advance,
Laura

Jax3303
06-04-2008, 11:29 AM
if you want to keep things so private and hidden, then what's the point of starting an online blog?

lactosefree
06-04-2008, 12:20 PM
Since DH and I share this computer, if he were to try to read it, couldn't he just try to log in, click on 'forgot password' (assuming they have one of those) and get it?

Anyone?

Thanks in advance,
Laura

Your dh would have to know your password to log on, so you would have to pick one that he'd never guess. When you first sign on, don't click on the 'remember me' box under your username and password box and if your computer prompts you asking if you want to remember the password click no.

If you click on the 'lost your password?' link it will email you a new password. If your dh has access to your email, then you're out of luck unless you set up an email account he doesn't know about for the blog.

If you want to hide the fact that you have a blog and you share the computer, that may be difficult if he's looking at your browsing history unless you're clearing it everytime.

lactosefree
06-04-2008, 12:21 PM
if you want to keep things so private and hidden, then what's the point of starting an online blog?

I think a lot of people have private blogs as an online journal/diary.

katknit
06-04-2008, 01:10 PM
Yes, but realistically, the internet is the last place to which I'd entrust my private thoughts!
:hiding:

lactosefree
06-04-2008, 01:43 PM
Yes, but realistically, the internet is the last place to which I'd entrust my private thoughts!
:hiding:

I agree that the internet is not the safest place in the world (understatement of the year!), but the devil's advocate in me wants to say that it's much easier to have a private journal on a secure website with a password than a physical journal that could be found and read by anyone in your house.

Now if someone tried to hack into wordpress' website, then you're pretty much at a loss. However, i think when it comes to journals it's much more uncomfortable for someone you're writing about or someone close to you to read your private thoughts than a total stranger who's a hacker. I would think a private journal is far less interesting to a hacker than let's say personal financial information.

Cynamar
06-04-2008, 02:45 PM
I htink you can make your entries at MySpace private. I don't blog there. I'm at blogspot.

saracidaltendencies
06-04-2008, 10:58 PM
You can make your MySpace entries private, and, if you want to allow some people to read, you can choose exactly who sees your blog. Not sure about other blogs, I have a blogger one but it's a public blog so I've never even looked at the privacy settings. For all my truly personal thoughts, I'm old fashioned...lol...I still use journals that I hide around the house with warnings on the first page of each...lol