PDA

View Full Version : Rant about email

fireflyknitter
06-04-2008, 05:26 PM
Sorry to rant here, I'm just really frustrated and my husband's tired of hearing about it. It's not a very big deal, but it irritates me nonetheless.

I have a really common first and last name, and my email is just my name @ provider.com and I've been getting someone else's email for the last year or so. It's not spam (for her) it's actual email, from friends and co-workers and today from her own husband! How does her husband not know her email address?

I used to reply with a brief general note to let them know that they should talk to her to get her address right because I get a lot of stuff that looks confidential. Once, I got real estate papers with bank account numbers and SSN's! I got her wedding photos for pete's sake! But it's getting to the point where I don't want to be polite anymore and I try to just delete it and block them.

Aarg! The only good thing that comes from it is that I get her Borders coupons!

iza
06-04-2008, 06:11 PM
It happened to me too! Isn't it annoying?

I received a job offer in a field I had absolutely no qualifications for. :teehee: I always wondered what would have happened if I had accepted it. :rofl: And I even received a very long and romantic love letter! :shock: At this point I was so annoyed, I asked my boyfriend to reply. He simply said "I think you have the wrong email address... otherwise... do not touch my girlfriend" :roflhard:

I also get emails for this woman with the same name as me who is active in the anti-abortion movement. :wall: They get my email address from my webpage (I am a researcher and I need one to put my publications, research interests and contact information for my colleagues) and automatically assume we must be the same person. :roll: I finally decided to put a note saying I am not this person and do not want to be contacted about these issues. It's been working for now...

I must say, the husband thing is ridiculous. :shock: A mistake can happen once in a while, but obviously you are receiving many. Since you have the husband's email, I would write him and say that from now on you will simply delete these emails. :shrug: I wouldn't feel too bad about it.

Silver
06-04-2008, 06:51 PM
Since you have the husband's email, I would write him and say that from now on you will simply delete these emails. :shrug: I wouldn't feel too bad about it.
I agree!! I wouldn't feel bad about it either. Obviously SHE doesn't know her own email address and is giving out the wrong one. Send off an email to her husband, add in any personal info you have about her and tell him if she doesn't fix the problem you're going to start posting her personal info online. And then delete, delete, (use coupons :teehee:) and delete. :thumbsup:

ecb
06-04-2008, 08:07 PM
I would not threaten to post personal info
but I would list the personal info, in the e-mail to him, and I would cc her on all replies
I would also have does a reply to all to any messeges to more than 2 people

if you are getting confidential info, I would also notify webmistress/administrator at the buisness domain

JMHO

vaknitter
06-04-2008, 10:15 PM
How Rude ! (wow, that's sad that I remember quotes from Full House isn't it) Anyway, I've never gotten e-mails for other people, but I did get phone calls for a month from a coach at Duke trying to recruit a ball player. Apparently they thought if they called 2x/day I would magically remember who Johnny was and what his new # was....

fireflyknitter
06-05-2008, 06:55 PM
How Rude ! (wow, that's sad that I remember quotes from Full House isn't it) Anyway, I've never gotten e-mails for other people, but I did get phone calls for a month from a coach at Duke trying to recruit a ball player. Apparently they thought if they called 2x/day I would magically remember who Johnny was and what his new # was....

:roflhard: to both things, my husband says "how rude" in a stephanie voice all the time. I used to get calls for someone named Tanya for a while after changing my number a couple years ago, it's still a joke that when it's a wrong number that someone was looking for Tanya.

I heard back from the husband and his wife sent me a nice email so I forwarded her what I had saved and... the plot thickens! There is yet another of us who doesn't know their own email. :rofl: Actually there are at least 3 different ones, because one lives in NY, one is in PA and one is in Canada somewhere. And then there's me :teehee:

Ivy19
06-05-2008, 07:55 PM
I hate to suggest this, but maybe you could change your email id? I know it's a pain, but at least it would stop the problem. I understand that it's already listed in publications, so it may be a no go?

fireflyknitter
06-05-2008, 09:24 PM
Ehhh... I think it would be more of a hassle to change it. I've had it for years and years and I only started getting the other people's mail a year or so ago. And now that I know that it's more than one person I feel better about it. Eventually (and I really mean eventually!) it should stop. I think it's like when you get a new phone number and for a while you get calls for the person who had your number last. It just takes longer for it to work itself out!

tarrentella
06-06-2008, 03:10 AM
Yes i got a call asking to speak to Michael. I old them i wasn't michael and didn't know who michael was. they asked if i was sure. Yes i am sure i am not Michael.
Aparantly this guy was a painter and decorater and they needed him for a job, so one guy kept asking me to pass messages on to michael,, despite me telling him i didnt know him, and then started getting angry for not passing the messages on when Michael didn't call back. I'm sorry did i not mention, I DON'T KNOW MICHAEL!

glad your emails are slowely getting sorted.