PDA

View Full Version : Why Did I Say That?!?

stacyk9
06-06-2008, 02:13 PM
I applied for a new job as a Staffing Supervisor with Kelly Services just a couple days ago and they called me today and asked for a quick phone interview. It threw me off a little bit, but I said sure. The very first question out of her mouth was, "What do you look for in an employer." Such a heavy question for the first question and I tried to gather myself as quickly as I could. The first thing I said was stability, and then I went blank and I said "Wow. That is a good question." Then I hear in my head- "WHAT?!?!? DON'T SAY THAT!!!!! Okay, calm yourself down and come up with another answer!" After a little stammering, I gave her another answer which I don't even remember what that was anymore, because it is now overshadowed by my next unbelievable answer. I said something to the affect that I'm looking for a company who is willing to work with someone coming into an entry-level position who doesn't have much knowledge of the position as I'm still in school and venturing into a new carrer path. Now my brain says "MAY DAY!! MAY DAY!! GOING DOWN!!!!!". I've just now let them know I know nothing about the position they are hiring for!

Okay. Now in attempt to make myself feel better, I have rationalized it all by convincing myself that if I had truely bombed on that first question, she probably wouldn't have continued the interview for the next 5 minutes. Secondly, in the job description, it does say it is an entry-level position and they were taking application from anyone who has a high school diploma with one year of customer service experience up to anyone who has a Bachlor's Degree in Human Resources, which that is what I'm studying for right now. So, obviously, they really aren't looking for anyone who has a whole lot of experience to begin with, but I certainly didn't have to remind them of that with my stupid comment!!!!!

Anyway, I just had to get that all off my chest. I'm not sure if I'm looking for validation or just to make myself feel better or what! She did say that she would let me know by the end of next week whether or not they would like me to come in for a face-to-face interview. I'm not holding my breath!!

Sunshine's Mom
06-06-2008, 02:29 PM
Hey, don't beat yourself up. Kelly Services are there to help EVERYBODY get employed. Just because you're trying to get a job with them doesn't make that a reason to freak yourself out. You applied for an entry level position. That means that they probably want someone who doesn't have so much experience that they'd be coming into the company with THEIR ideas on how to do something instead of coming into the job expecting to be trained in how the COMPANY wants things done.

They have your resume. They know what your in school for. Try to relax. They wouldn't have called you in the first place if you weren't already qualified on paper.

Besides, it's not like you answered "I want my employer to be really easy-going and allow me to take 3 hour lunches and knit at my desk all day." Or - something pompous like, "I want my employer to recognize my talents and praise me for all I do, especially by giving me big, fat raises every 3 months." You answered just fine and honestly, which matters.

I'd hire you. :thumbsup:

mwhite
06-06-2008, 02:32 PM
And I think your first answer was excellent. I also think that their "quick phone interview" was completely inconsiderate and inappropriate, sounded like someone was supposed to call you in and forgot and was covering her/his rear end. If I were you, needing work or not, I'd reconsider working or applying with these people at all. Just my opinion but whatever happened to respect?

iza
06-06-2008, 02:53 PM
Don't worry too much about it! As you say, it's an entry-level position. There's no point pretending that you know everything and that you could be the CEO!

Believe me, I heard a lot worst. A friend of mine was asked in what kind of job she saw herself in 5 years. She answered: "I'd like to get your job" to the person interviewing. :rofl: The expression on the person's face changed, and my friend realized it could sound threatening... :doh:

Someone I know was interviewing people, and one candidate had a cold. At some point she had to blow her nose, and she left her soiled tissue on the interviewer's desk!!! :ick:

And well, not to mention those who answer their cell phones during job interviews... :doh: