PDA

View Full Version : What's Your Take On Craigslist?

stacyk9
06-09-2008, 02:01 PM
I have been looking through Craigslist for job positions and there are a couple on there that look fairly promising, but they, of course, do not list company names and such. Is this a sight I can trust?

figaro
06-09-2008, 02:36 PM
I sold a queen size bedset on Craig's list. I don't think that it is a matter of the sight it self but more of can you trust the person/people who posted the ads. If there is a phone number, I would call it and not act like you are looking for a job, maybe like you dialed the wrong number or something. Definatly (can't spell that word to save my life!:think:) check out the posting with open eyes.

Jan in CA
06-09-2008, 02:41 PM
I think it's like any site.. buyer beware. In other words do your homework and check out as much info as you can on your own.

vaknitter
06-09-2008, 03:15 PM
I have bought and sold things on Craigslist with great success. Actually, found my wedding photographer through a want ad on Craigslist. They guy replied saying he was a pro-am photographer and was able to give me his website etc. Then when we went to meet with him we agreed on a Barnes & Noble Cafe. I don't know what type of position you are looking for, but if you are going to meet with people or mail them any personal information I would make sure who they are first and always meet in a public place at a busy hour and preferably never go alone.

HamaLee
06-09-2008, 06:35 PM
Definitely Buyer-Beware, as with anything. That being said: I've found my last 3 apartments through Craigslist, landed my current job via Craigslist (and I've been here 2.5 years), and also found a temporary part-time second job through Craigslist.

I've had great luck--but I use common sense and safety. Good luck!

Raeknitsnwa
06-09-2008, 07:13 PM
I have had good luck on Craigslist buying & selling things I agree with everyone its not so much about trusting the site its the people on the site you have to worry about the most

Miss Moosey
06-10-2008, 02:44 PM
I have also been looking for a job through craigslist. I am just trying to use my best judgement as to whether a certain listing looks reputable or not. In my opinion it's best to be safe and not respond to listings that look a little sketchy.

Rebecca

evona
06-10-2008, 02:49 PM
I have had great luck with Craigslist and love the site. I agree with the others, as always do your research. If it feels funny and seems too good to be true than trust your instincts. If its obviously a scam than report the post, that's how we can make the site better and safer for others :)

Silver
06-10-2008, 06:53 PM
Craigslist is the same thing as the classified section of your newspaper, only in an online (and free) form. Each ad is posted by an individual and Craigslist has absolutely no means or responsibly to make sure the post is legitimate. Take the ad as you would if it were printed in the paper, ie buyer beware. I'd hope you wouldn't trust someone's ad just because you trust the newspaper.

stacyk9
06-11-2008, 09:39 AM
Thank you all for your responses. I think in the case of a couple of the jobs posted, they are too good to be true. They are advertising for an Administrative Assistant, or something similar, with a salary range of $42 - $47 a year. Now, in a city, that may be possible, but I'm in Southeast Missouri, and that is just unheard of!! I think these are probably deceitful. I guess I just needed someone else to confirm my feelings.

Thanks!

Carrie218
06-11-2008, 10:41 AM
I met my BF on Craigslist. Seriously. We've been together almost three years and while I'm getting ready to break-up with him, we *have* built a multi-million dollar business together so it isn't all that bad. And when I am single, I'll probably be using CL to look for a new apartment and possibly new dating possibilities.

I've also bought and sold things on the site and I see no reason why you shouldn't at least APPLY for a job you found on that site. It isn't like you are committing to accepting the job and if you don't even investigate, than you might be missing out on a great opportunity. So what if a company doesn't list who they are? A lot don't. I say go for it.

cam90066
06-12-2008, 06:36 PM
Friend of mine has been job hunting for several months and I'd recommended CL to her. (She immediately poo-poo'd the idea.) She'd literally exhausted all other options and then 'discovered' CL. (Duh!) To her surprise she garnered more responses and interviews in a couple weeks than she had over a number of months using other sources. To date, she's still looking but CL did provide quite a few potential positions.

cam