PDA

View Full Version : Quilters...can you recommend a good gift?

JamOKnit
06-09-2008, 04:49 PM
Hi all!
Are there any quilters out there? My mom is retiring this month and one of the things she wants to do with all of her free time :happydance: is learn to quilt! I'm looking near her to see if there are any stores or schools that give classes/lessons, but I was thinking of putting together a gift basket for her for her retirement dinner. I'd like to include one or two books good for beginners (she is a good sewer though), as well as maybe a all-inclusive quilt kit or supplies she might need to make her first quilted item.
Can you recommend some good books I could buy and/or places online to buy supplies or kits, and what types of things I might put in the basket? (She already has a sewing machine, thread, bobbins, and the basic sewing tools.)
Thanks for your help! :muah:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
06-09-2008, 08:29 PM
A rotary cutter and self-healing mat
A long plastic ruler made for rotary cutting (get one that has a lip on the edge)
A mini iron
Some "fat quarters" (they sell them in color-coordinating bundles and individually)
Other stuff i can't think of.... (hey other quilters, where are you!)

I really like the quilt in a day series of books by eleanor burns. my very first quilt was from "irish chain in a day".... and it takes more than a day ;) but the directions are super easy to follow and it tells exactly what yardage for each fabric and the tools and stuff you need.

JamOKnit
06-10-2008, 12:04 PM
Cool! That's definitely a start! Any idea of an all-inclusive kit that would have all the supplies for a starter quilt?

cftwo
06-10-2008, 01:36 PM
I did a search for beginner quilting kit and found some options:

http://www.weekendkits.com/quilt-kits.html

http://www.easyquiltkits.com/beginner-quilt-patterns.shtml

http://www.blackberryquilts.com/home/bbq/smartlist_6

If she wants to stitch by machine, look specifically for the patchwork quilt kits.

I thought JoAnn's might have some quilter kits, but I didn't see any on their site.

lucky_alf2
06-10-2008, 04:32 PM
I think Quiliting store fabric is nicer than JoAnn fabric -- but certainly more expensive. Also quilting store people are very nice and will gladly help you put together a nice fabric package. You might also look at "Fat Quarter" pattern books and buy a selection of fabric "Fat Quarters" to go with it. If she has a favorite color than choose FQs in that colorway, or go with various colors, or batiks or a theme print. Black, White and Red is a traditional colorway and Blue and white or blue and yellow combo's are generally pleasing too.
Another thought would be to buy her a quilting magazine subscription -- there are several to choose from and they would give her a range of quilting levels and styles to choose from over the course of a year. Fons & Porter is a nice one and PBS often runs their series which ties in with their magazine too.
Lastly, you might look into quilting guild information for her area and maybe even gift her a year membership to her state and/or local chapter -- it would hook her into others with the same hobby as well as probably classes -- I've learned TONS through my local quilt group.
PS. JoAnn's will have better prices on books and supplies, esp. with that 40% coupon.

Hope that helps.