PDA

View Full Version : Wildflowers

Belphoebe
06-09-2008, 09:37 PM
When I got home today I went in back to see my garden. I had planted it with all different kinds of wildflowers to sort of have a "natural" effect. I'm from Iowa originally so I like seeing natural blossoms. Anyway, much to my horror, the landscapers had mowed it all down!!!! The poor things had just started to blossom and now they are 3/4" stumps! :waah: I hadn't had time to put out my wildflower, do not mow sign, so I guess it is my fault. I'm going to talk to our complex manager to see if something can be done. I just can't believe my babies are all gone!!!

Jan in CA
06-09-2008, 10:06 PM
:hair: Bummer!~

Eccie
06-09-2008, 10:48 PM
well that stinks :(

Mike
06-10-2008, 12:22 AM
so I guess it is my fault
I doubt it.
People do that because they don't want to mow around plantings. All you did by not putting up a sign was give them the excuse of "I didn't realize those tall flowering plants in the section of bare dirt were flowers planted in a garden".
I've had landlord workers do the same to me and the "garden" was obvious.

If any were perennial they should come back if they were cut above the seed leaves so still fence them off. It's possible that annuals will come back if cut above the seed leaves but they won't be big.

Wildflowers are pretty hardy, they are wild flowers that need to survive animals eating them and stepping on them.
I've got Horehound and St Johns Wort coming up in my strawberry patch and they haven't been planted there in a long time.
I routinely mow over the Yarrow, Shasta Daises and Dame's Rocket and they always come back.
I got a volunteer dill weed in my garden and haven't had anything of that come up in a very long time.

vaknitter
06-10-2008, 12:38 PM
WOW that really stinks. When I lived in my apt I was forever planting flowers, tomato plants and pulling weeds. Our landscaper was someone's son so he did things when he felt like - mostly he didn't so all my plants were safe for years. I put one of those cheap metal garden edge type things from Lowe's up just to make sure that if he got motivated he couldn't push his mower over them without some effort. Maybe your complex will let you put a little fence around the garden. Luckily, if they are wildflowers they should come back.

susi
06-10-2008, 02:12 PM
oh thats so frustrating.

hope they come back again next year (thats as far as my gardening knowledge goes i'm afraid)

susi