PDA

View Full Version : Favorite market/string bag?

cam90066
06-10-2008, 01:14 PM
I have a couple but am looking to add a few more styles as I try to become more eco friendly (and stop using paper or plastic). Soooo many great free patterns available online! (Altho some seem like they'd be difficult to carry once full of grocery items.) Pros or cons to any that you've made?

cam

astonh
06-10-2008, 01:21 PM
I look forward to hearing pro/con bits on this topic as well! I need to make one and have been having a dickens of a time deciding which way to go.

suzeeq
06-10-2008, 01:23 PM
I make an in the round variation of the Saturday market bag that was on magknits, you can find the pattern through Ravelry. I used a Turkish CO for the bottom, did a couple rounds of garter then used the pattern stitch for the body and finished up in garter for the top, binding off and casting on some stitches at the sides for handles instead of making a strap.

Jaxhil
06-10-2008, 04:00 PM
I like the free "summer tote(?)" from Knit Picks. I've made three, but I changed the top to just solid handles. Two have one handle, and I also made one with two handles. I really like it~its fun to make and works quite well~it can hold quite a lot.

I'll try to see if I can post pictures later.

Mirl56
06-10-2008, 04:49 PM
only one i've made is the everlasting bagstopper from knitty http://www.knitty.com/issuesummer07/PATTeverlasting.html .
I like the bottom being more solid the a lot I've seen. I also like the handles being ribbon, not knit or crocheted - those kind get so stretched out.

cam90066
06-10-2008, 06:56 PM
only one i've made is the everlasting bagstopper from knitty http://www.knitty.com/issuesummer07/PATTeverlasting.html .
I like the bottom being more solid the a lot I've seen. I also like the handles being ribbon, not knit or crocheted - those kind get so stretched out.

I was making that one, got about 2/3 done, and then frogged it. (Dropped a few sts when testing it for how much it could hold...grrrr). But I agree about the base. It's also more conducive to books (vs those that are clearly 'round'). I may restart it but make it just a bit smaller. And I'd probably opt for i-cord handles.

cam