PDA

View Full Version : RIP Tim Russert - Only 58

Inis
06-13-2008, 04:41 PM
Tim Russert, NBC Washington Bureau Chief and host of Meet the Press died this afternoon of a heart attack.
:verysad:

Wanda Witch
06-13-2008, 04:47 PM
My DH was watching the U.S. Open and Tom Brokaw interrupted with the sad news. He was one of my favorites, along with millions of others. He will be missed. My prayers to his family and his elderly father. How tragic at that age.

Cynamar
06-13-2008, 05:06 PM
I just saw this on cnn.com. How sad. He always seemed so fair and reasonable with his opinions. I hope he really is resting in peace.

cdjack
06-13-2008, 05:15 PM
I was listening to espn radio and they interrupted NBA talk with the news. What a shock. I raced home to watch the news.

Sewing Angel
06-13-2008, 05:20 PM
Thats such a shame. He seemed like a great guy, when he talked about his family, he always seemed so happy. He made politics somewhat bearable for me. RIP Tim.

Inis
06-13-2008, 05:20 PM
A former colleague who works in the DC bureau said he hasn't seen the newsroom so sad since 9/11. He was like a father figure to everyone there. Very, very sad.

auburnchick
06-13-2008, 06:03 PM
Oh my gosh! I am just now seeing this on the news.

I really liked him...such an astute man. My dad died when he was 57 of the same exact thing...hence I think it's hitting me a little harder than I would have thought...

So sad...

:cry:

Knit4Fun
06-13-2008, 06:54 PM
Ah, another of that generation gone too soon...sigh...my prayers to his family. From such a high as college graduation (his son) to the lows of losing a parent soon after.

:verysad:

kateycp2k
06-13-2008, 08:15 PM
What a shame, and at a time in his life when he was truly enjoying his work.

The magnitude of grief was so clear in Tom Brokaw's voice, I felt the lump in my throat forming.

fireflyknitter
06-13-2008, 08:17 PM
How terrible! Hubby and I watch Meet the Press almost every Sunday... what a shame, I always liked him. :sad:

kateycp2k
06-13-2008, 08:33 PM
According to MSNBC, Dateline will air tribute to Russert tonight at 10 PM, and there will be a special "Meet the Press" hosted by Tom Brokaw paying tribute to its host in the normal time slot Sunday morning.

Passing this on for those interested.

heatherg23
06-14-2008, 01:07 PM
It's always the good ones that go. My mom is a CNBC junkie. It's very sad. :(

punkhippiemom
06-18-2008, 12:46 PM
I am still sad about this - I got a little misty watching everyone try not to cry on MTP this past Sunday.
It was wonderful in this day and age to watch someone who really was 'fair and balanced' and gave everyone their say, regardless of whether he liked what they were saying or not. He was one of the few who stuck to the facts, instead of shouting and slandering, and was obviously enjoying himself so much this election season - I was watching one night while he and Chris Matthews were waiting for primary results to come in, and they were both blatantly as giddy as kids in a candy store... how wonderful to see someone delight in their job that way!
He had become a staple in our house, and he will be missed.

kateycp2k
06-20-2008, 04:30 PM
Having just watched the MTP last night, I found the lump in my throat forming when "Thunder Road" was played at the end. And that's not normally a song that makes one cry.