PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone else a terrible procrastinator?

Duessa
06-17-2008, 02:59 AM
I was just wondering because I can be. I am getting worse as time goes on. I would really rather someone else show up and pack all my stuff for my move in less than 3 weeks. I just want to lay down and sleep because it sounds good. lol

Debkcs
06-17-2008, 03:39 AM
If I had the money to move right now, I'd be packed in an instant.

When I've had problmes being motivated to do something, I've just started by picking up one item. "OK self, just one item, right now." Then you see the next thing and the next, but it all starts with just one item at a time.

Ronda
06-17-2008, 07:11 AM
I'm not, but my DH is and it drives me absolutely INSANE.

susi
06-17-2008, 08:20 AM
oh im terrible, i leave it until the day before then just chuck everything into boxes oops lol.

exdp (ds's dad) it used to drive him crazy hehe, so had its pkuss side for sure hehehe

susi

knitgal
06-17-2008, 09:10 AM
Sometimes I have a hard time getting motivated, but generally I'm okay. I just have to set myself a schedule and stick to it. I've been like that since I was a little girl- at 10 I had an agenda for my day!

iza
06-17-2008, 09:26 AM
I'm not too bad, but I do procrastinate sometimes. But I guess I'm doing it right now by writing this post instead of starting to work. :oops: :teehee:

I have a friend though who is a very serious case. He can't get anything going, really. Instead of working on his master's, he browses the web, or find any other excuse not to work on his thesis. He's been doing it for years! :shock: And now he actually might get in a lot of trouble for it. At this level it's actually a very serious matter, and he needs professional help IMHO. There's no way he can have a job, he would be fired within weeks. But try to get a procrastinator to make an appointment for psychotherapy... :shrug: I'm very worried for him. :pout:

knittingymnast
06-19-2008, 07:39 PM
Oh, goodness. Sometimes I'm on top of things like that! *snaps fingers* But, on the other hand, I can be terrible, absolutely horrible, and it is pulchritudinous.*

*Pulchritudinous means beautiful, BTW, so pretty, basically. I just like big words.

fireflyknitter
06-19-2008, 10:18 PM
I'm a terrible procrastinator. It's gotten worse as I get older, it would really interfere with my work performance. If I had a deadline, everything would always get done before the deadline, but I would be scrambling to finish the day before. It's usually only bad when it's something I don't want to do/have no interest in, but in any case it's not a good thing. I was spoiled as a teenager because whenever I had a school assignment due I knew I could do it the night before and pass with flying colors-- it's harder now!

JessicaR
06-20-2008, 12:55 AM
I am the Princess of Procrastination :teehee:

Silver
06-20-2008, 01:47 AM
I'll procrastinate on little, non-urgent things (like finishing up my lace stole). For big things like a job or moving? I'm on it like white on rice. I do not like to have to rush a big job because I've waited too long.

Knitting_Guy
06-20-2008, 08:05 AM
I would procrastinate but never seem to get around to it.

Sunshine's Mom
06-20-2008, 11:51 AM
I used to procrastinate when doing projects for school. I'd always do them at the last minute and then get an "A". If I actually worked on something early - I'd inevitably get a "C". Weird.

I don't really procrastinate with my work now, but my boss does and it makes me mental! He waits until the last minute to do a Notice of Motion or some other project, but what he fails to realize is that once he has dictated it - I still have to type it! Usually this ends up keeping me late because once I've typed, he reviews, makes changes, I do the changes, he reviews, makes more changes, I do the changes, he reviews, HOPEFULLY it's finished, he signs, now I have to make copies, prepare letters and envelopes and otherwise mail them out. I will say, however, that he does some of his best work this way and I'm used to it by now. I cut him some slack because I used to be the same way.

Otherwise, he's a great guy to work for. I wouldn't have stayed 10 years if he wasn't.

gingerbread
06-21-2008, 09:03 AM
Nope, but I did marry one.:roflhard::roflhard::roflhard::roflhard:

:waving:

jheatherley
06-21-2008, 10:48 AM
Never. My standard reply to, "You don't have to do it right now", is, "What's wrong with right now?"

Duessa
06-21-2008, 10:53 AM
LOL, I thought it might be a College Kid thing. I'm so bad. currently I have until the first of July to pack my whole house and....well...we won't talk about where I'm at (1 room might be considered half way packed). currently I would rather knit, watch movies (Indiana Jones was great!), hang out with friends, post here about the situation, and anything else that arises. I'm the same way with dishes, assignments for classes that I dislike, and any kind of official paperwork/contact. wow, that is a bigger list than I thought. It's never been a problem before but I promised my BF that I wouldn't make him do any packing last minute because the conditions of the move are I pack and he will get us moved in on the second day we have the apartment. Competely. I don't want any limbo. He is in charge of getting the guys, the trailer or uhaul, and organizing that whole part. It might seem like a bad deal for me but last time we moved I packed completely and did all that and it was a nightmare. lol And we had less stuff. anyway, anyone have some motivation for me? LOL

Plantgoddess+
06-21-2008, 04:37 PM
I have found that about 25% of the time if I procastinate long enough that things change and I don't have to do what I was procastinating on after all. I do much better with things that have to be done in a timely manner. Animals, plants, meals, bills etc.

ecb
06-21-2008, 07:05 PM
I am ABSOLUTELY a Procrastinator, I will be a laz-a-bones and knit for hours, surf the web, chat, do spreadsheets or whatever. My Clothes only get folded when i pack or move or travel. I assign the jobs I hate the most to the cleaning lady or the kids (they all have to agree to do them)
BUT
I am compulsively early to appointments, I consider other peoples time worth much more than my own.

When Tran makes me a To Do list, i get to almost everything on it before the next week rolls around, but its either because I do it THAT DAY, or the day before she comes back.

even my Knitting progects never get done when I have a schedule, i start and sometimes finish a new one before getting to the one that HAS to get done.

in my Xhs eyes, this made me a darned BAD person, and a worse mother. He was wrong, but i still listen to those old tapes sometimes (ykwim?)

saracidaltendencies
06-22-2008, 12:27 AM
I've been meaning to post a reply but I just kept putting it off :p

kristaj
06-23-2008, 01:32 AM
I am ABSOLUTELY a Procrastinator, I will be a laz-a-bones and knit for hours, surf the web, chat, do spreadsheets or whatever. My Clothes only get folded when i pack or move or travel. I assign the jobs I hate the most to the cleaning lady or the kids (they all have to agree to do them)
BUT
I am compulsively early to appointments, I consider other peoples time worth much more than my own.

When Tran makes me a To Do list, i get to almost everything on it before the next week rolls around, but its either because I do it THAT DAY, or the day before she comes back.

even my Knitting progects never get done when I have a schedule, i start and sometimes finish a new one before getting to the one that HAS to get done.

in my Xhs eyes, this made me a darned BAD person, and a worse mother. He was wrong, but i still listen to those old tapes sometimes (ykwim?)

I am exactly the same way. If it's something that has to be done, is assigned, has a deadline, etc. I put it off to the very last minute. College was a nightmare of very late nights scrambling to get papers finished. But when it comes to being somewhere on time I'm usually 20 minutes early. :teehee: