PDA

View Full Version : Wii?

Ronda
06-17-2008, 07:08 AM
We've owned a Super Nintendo (still have it - it looks brand new), a PS1 (it's sitting in a closet), a PS2 (my son uses it to watch DVDs in his room), and a Game Cube (looks brand new - hasn't been touched in a year). I guess I should be proud of my kids for NOT being game addicts (I knew one kid who spent his entire summer in front of his TV and refused all requests to come out and play with anyone!). Still, from time to time they have expressed interest in these things, so they got them for Christmas gifts and then rarely used them. Oh, DD also has Nintendo DS. She plays that in spurts. One day it will be what she does all day long and then she will go literally months without even touching it.
So now they want a Wii. They say it's different from the others because you have to be more "active." I looked at them. It's $250. Does anyone know if that comes with everything I need? Does it came with any preinstalled games or included games? I can just see me spending $500 in one shot and my kids not touching the thing and that would just make me irate. I'm willing to pay $250 if that's going to be all I (originally) need (I know they'll want other games later...which they will have to earn!)

Incidentally, I played it myself at a friend's house the other day. We played bowling. It was great. I could actually see me playing with the Wii...

bethany
06-17-2008, 08:22 AM
First, I'd recommend selling the other game systems to get some of the $ towards the Wii if the others aren't being played. Wii comes with one controller and a set of games do come with. It's much more physical and there isn't the "zoning out" factor as much with the Wii, so the kiddos will still get the physical activity while playing video games.

Then there's the Wii Fit, which looks fun to me! yoga and all sorts of fun stuff! It's fun for adults too.

Ronda
06-17-2008, 08:49 AM
Yea, I figured it might be fun for me. I played the Super Nintendo when we first got it because my son was only 4 or 5 and so it was something we did together. I never got into the other systems.

I asked last night at Game Stop if they bought used systems. They do, but they won't take my PS1. DS will keep his PS2 for watching DVDs in his room. They said they'd give me about $15 or $30 for the Game Cube, and that's it. DD wasn't too sure she wanted to get rid of it, and I figure at only $15, it's not worth it.

Yoga, huh? Now THAT sounds like fun. I might have to get the Wii just for me! ;-)

GinnyG
06-17-2008, 10:04 AM
I am getting dh a wii for his birthday in July!!

Raeknitsnwa
06-17-2008, 10:10 AM
I have to say I love our Wii its just me and the bf we have no kids lol..I like it due to the fact you can be more interactive with the Wii then you can with the other systems(which I suck at anyways) I enjoy playing bowling on the Wii tennis can really kick you butt when you get going but its fun none the less the Wii Fit looks fairly cool too :cheering:

auburnchick
06-17-2008, 10:14 AM
I'd say buy the Wii. From a technological point of view, it's fantastic. Your kids can grow with the game...there's a lot offered...for them and for the adults.

As far as selling the other items, sell them on Ebay around Thanksgiving. You'll get more money for them. I hold on to things and do that, and I make a lot of money. The Monday after Thanksgiving is known as "Black Monday." It's the day when online retailers make the most money. From experience, I know this is true.

Good luck!

Ronda
06-17-2008, 10:56 AM
the Wii Fit looks fairly cool too :cheering:

That's what I want!

saracidaltendencies
06-17-2008, 01:24 PM
When we bought our Wii, we bought the sports pack. It came with a disc that contains the sports games such as bowling, golf, tennis, etc. It also came with one controller. There's a boxing game on the disc that you need the nunchucks for and those are sold separately. You don't need the nunchucks for a whole lot of games, but, you must have them to play the games that require them. Also, in order for more than one person to play, you'll definitely need to buy at least one additional controller. The total for us for an additional controller and 2 nunchucks, plus the system with the sports pack was a total of about $300.

I absolutely love the Wii! I love the games the sports pack came with, and, my hubby was lucky enough to find a Wii Fit that he bought me for my birthday. The Wii Fit is AWESOME!! I have a lot of back problems and after I started doing the Fit, my back has been pain free! The Fit really shows you how off balance you may be and helps you correct your posture so your weight is evenly distributed. The kids love doing the Fit as well :)

What also makes the Wii such an awesome system is the games are more family oriented; everyone can get involved in them, and, they really help keep you off your butt...lol...True, you can sit down and do many of the games, but, I choose not to because every bit of exercise helps ;)

The Wii has been a great investment for us (hubby is also addicted to Guitar Hero...lol) and I play the Wii a ton. I never really got into the Playstation or anything like that (I was all about the old school systems: Nintendo, Super Nintendo, Sega...haha) but the Wii has replaced all those for me...though I still can't part with those old systems...lol.

I say get it...I agree with the others, if the other systems aren't being used, sell those and replace them with the Wii. Even if the kids lose interest, I guarantee YOU will love playing the games!

jjminarcik
06-17-2008, 02:46 PM
Ditto with everything that Demonica said!

It's just me and DH and we :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: the Wii!!!!! All our friends love it, too, and they come over and play. Some games (like Mario Kart) have online play. As long as it is hooked up online you can play with people all over the world, and even friends you know.

We also have WiiFit. The only word to describe it - AWESOME! And it was worth every penny! :thumbsup:

Karina
06-18-2008, 07:34 AM
I would buy it for you then let the kids play on it. that way you won't be disappointed when they stop using it. We have had the Wii since it came out and my kids (13, 7) are not that bothered with it. have learnt to use the controllers with just a flick of the wrist so they definitely don't benefit as far a being active with it. They prefer the 360 and the PS3.

I might just steal the Wii back for me and get the Wii fit. So I would say treat your self if you would like to use the Wii fit.

fireflyknitter
06-18-2008, 09:57 AM
Also the Wii can play your Gamecube games so if you want the extra $$ from trading it in, I would go ahead and do it.

Ronda
06-18-2008, 10:07 AM
Everyone talking about WiiFit makes me want it just for me! I'm going to have to get one. They're very hard to find around here right now though. Is it that way all over?

Ronda
06-18-2008, 10:41 AM
I'm hearing about the Wii everywhere!! My husband just told me that his aunt and uncle (in their 60s) bought it for themselves, and his parents went over and played it and enjoyed it.

I also just typed a report on a patient who had a stroke and got the Wii and purchased 2 games that specifically help him with his coordination and reflexes.

Hmmmmmmmmm. Someone must want me to get a Wii....

iza
06-18-2008, 11:29 AM
Uh oh... Now I'm in trouble! :teehee: I played the Wii only once but I really loved it. And now you all make me want to buy it. :doh: :teehee:

Ronda
06-18-2008, 11:37 AM
:teehee:

fireflyknitter
06-18-2008, 01:32 PM
Everyone talking about WiiFit makes me want it just for me! I'm going to have to get one. They're very hard to find around here right now though. Is it that way all over?

Unfortunately yes, from what I understand! I can't find it anywhere here. A couple weeks ago, hubby called 40 (!) stores and none of them had any in stock or knew when they would be getting some. Looks like it's going to be like when we got our Wii all over again.

jjminarcik
06-18-2008, 01:35 PM
I'm not sure about everywhere, but Wii's are scarce where we live. So are the WiiFits! But you can go to http://www.wiialerts.com/ and sign up to receive notification (via email and text message) when they are available online. That's how we ended up with our WiiFit. But be near a computer - they can be gone in as quick as 5 minutes!

Duessa
06-18-2008, 01:57 PM
Wow, they are scarce where you all are? We don't have any trouble getting them here now. They were scarce when we got ours the day they came out. My BF actually bought two and sold one to a friend and then bought another and sold it to his aunt in Cali. lol this is the first time I've heard of a benefit to living in IN. lol

On another note, it seems you have decided to buy it. Don't buy it because you think it will keep your kids more active. There are a few games that do that (sports, Fit) but many of the others do not. They are, however, challenging for the mind because they often break with the *rules* of traditional video games. Try playing Super Mario Galaxy and not having to warp your mind a little. LOL It is a ton of fun and the great thing is that the *extra* pieces you need are cheap and do not break easily. I recommend Mario cart, Super Mario Galaxy, and Super Smash Brother Brawl. The first and last are multi player for any age. Tons of fun! The second is a one player but the stages are VERY short and like huge puzzles. It is great. I hope you enjoy your Wii. It is used as much, if not more, than our 360 and is what everyone wants to play. (well, when they don't want to play Rockband. lol)

saracidaltendencies
06-18-2008, 02:10 PM
Yeah, both the Wii and Wii Fit are impossible to find here too. We bought our Wii just before x-mas and Best Buy had 5 of them is stock. Hubby and I were debating about whether we really wanted to spend the money on it and in the short time we were talking, 2 other people came up and grabbed a couple. That right there made up our minds...lol...Within about 10 minutes, Best Buy had sold 3 Wii's (ours included). I'm really glad we got it when we did because my sister has been trying to find one since we got ours and everyone is out of stock. Hubby went to 8 different stores in our area last month trying to find the Fit. He had luck at his last stop, they had ONE Fit left and told hubby if he wanted it he better buy it then because that was the last one in stock and all the stores all over the region were completely sold out.

You may also want to check e-bay, I've seen a lot of them on there. Just really scrutinize the sellers and thoroughly read the buyer feedback on the sellers.

Ronda
06-18-2008, 05:51 PM
A couple weeks ago, hubby called 40 (!) stores and none of them had any in stock or knew when they would be getting some.

:passedout:

SBG
06-19-2008, 09:25 PM
My MIL bought a Wii for our house (they live w/ us). After a few months of it sitting there not being used, we resold it on Ebay. I thought it was really dull, personally, but I've never been into video games.