PDA

View Full Version : Crochet Sun hat for child

Karina
06-18-2008, 07:22 AM
I would like to make my daughter a crochet sun hat but have not been able to find a pattern so far.

Do anybody know of a free pattern for a hat that is crochet in the round to fit the head then have a ruffled edge to shield the eyes from the sun. not to frilly. would like to use rowan Handknit cotton to make it as I have loads of it.

Also not to complicated as I am very new to crochet. Thanks

mathwizard
06-18-2008, 08:10 AM
Crochet Pattern Central has a page just for children.
http://www.crochetpatterncentral.com/directory/hats_children.php

I looked and saw some really cute hats. Good luck!:inlove:

Karina
06-18-2008, 02:38 PM
I love the picture perfect hat. could you please tell me what a size 10 crochet cotton is. is it 4ply or DK or something completely different.

katknit
06-18-2008, 05:14 PM
No, it's a typical crochet cotton in a slightly heavier weight. The craft stores like ACMoore usually have it.

mathwizard
06-19-2008, 06:32 PM
Are you aware that size 10 is a thread. It isn't like cotton yarn but is used in filet crochet and doilies. It is thicker than sewing machine thread but is thread none the less. It will make a lovely hat. If you want something with more thickness I would suggest a lace weight or sport yarn. Worsted weight on a child's head might be too heavy.

MommaG
06-19-2008, 11:04 PM
Here's another link to hat patterns. If you scroll down there are kids hats and there is one similar to the picture perfect hat but for thicker yarn. I used it for one for my daughter and I think it took me two sittings to get it done.
http://www.headhuggers.org/patterns/patterns.htm

MommaG
06-19-2008, 11:08 PM
Here is a pic of her in her hat.

mathwizard
06-20-2008, 07:17 AM
Love the hat and the child is gorgeous!!!!:cheering:

Karina
06-20-2008, 08:41 AM
MommaG - Thanks for the link, I love the hat and your daughter is absolutely beautiful.

mathwizard - I know very little about crochet. But a size 10 sounds a bit thin to me in your description. I live in the UK and most of the crochet yarn you see in the shops are white or off white. I would like pinks and lilac etc. the cotton i have is a DK which i think is sports weight. It would be easy to get a 4ply cotton if that would work better?

mathwizard
06-20-2008, 07:32 PM
No a sport weight for that hat would be perfect. I know from talking with an English friend of mine that double worsted yarn would be too thick and heavy. Sport weight or baby yarn would be best.
I can't wait to see the finished hat upon the intended wearer.:cheering:

Karina
06-21-2008, 05:24 PM
I did start the hat but got a bit lost in the directions so have knitted my daughter a hat yesterday and today. My MIL is here today and tomorrow so she is going to try and show me what I am supposed to do. I just hope English and US crochet terminology is the same or she might get confused.

mathwizard
06-21-2008, 09:54 PM
The terminology isn't the same.
US >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>English
single crochet >>>>>>>>>>>>>>double crochet
extended single >>>>>>>>>>>>>extended double
half double >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>half treble
double>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> treble
treble>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> double treble
double treble >>>>>>>>>>>>>>triple treble

This should help.:woohoo:

Karina
06-24-2008, 06:07 AM
I decided to go with the US method of doing the crochet as most of the you tube videos are American and the pattern Picture Perfect Hat is American. Just got to confusing to try and translate etc.

Anyway just did the third row on the hat and am not sure if I did it right. I wonder if somebody could try and look at the pattern
http://www.luv2crochet.com/pictureperfectcrochethat.pdf

and see If I did it right. the way I crochet the 3rd round I did 3 dc in a dc then when it say to do 3 dc ch1 twice I did that in the space created in previous round when you ch 1 between the 3dc's. now the 3rd round look kind off squashed together and ruffled. is that right? Does any of this make sense.
any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. If I did not word this right let me know and I will try again.

mathwizard
06-24-2008, 06:56 AM
Yes you did it correctly! Just remember that after you do (3dc, ch1,3dc), you have to do

"skip next dc, work 3 dcís in next dc, ch 1, work (3 dcís in next space, ch 1) twice, ch 1] around.
Join to top chain of beginning chain 3. ~ 12 dc groups " , to finish to round.
It should be a bit ruffled as you are increasing the number of stitches.
Keep it up and let us know if you need any more help.:cheering:

Karina
06-24-2008, 07:55 AM
sorry might seem like a dumb question but what is a dc group is it every time you have completed 3 dc's is counted as one and the part when you do 3dc's twice is another group or is the whole thing counted as one. after completing row 3 I have eight 3dc's and eight 3dc ch1 twice in same hole. which gives me either 8 groups or 16 groups either way it is wrong. have just taken a photo will try and upload it.

Karina
06-24-2008, 08:03 AM

here is a photo, you can probably not see what I am doing wrong by looking at it but worth a shot.

mathwizard
06-24-2008, 06:30 PM
I read the pattern and drew a diagram. When you get to row 3, you are correct in that each 3dc and the 3dc,ch1 repeat twice is a dc group. You will end up with twelve dc groups. Since they don't give a top view from what I see you are correct so far.
>>> You should have 3dc in the same stitch as the slip st dc of row 1 and (3dc,ch1,3dc) in each ch1 space. Mind you there is a ch1 between each 3dc.
>>> The next row is a repeat of the row just done.

rearicd
06-24-2008, 08:05 PM
I am a knitter and want to learn how to crochet...I am getting the basic stitches but reading the patterns are tricky. Can anybody tell me what 11 dc in ring means? Does it mean to do a double crochet stitch 11 times? I don't have enough stitches to do so...Any suggestions on good online videos or explanations for crochet?

Karina
06-25-2008, 02:49 AM
As far as I know when you start with a ring you do your dc's inside the big hole of the ring. so if you did a ring that is only ch 6 then join you would not use each of the ch for your dc but the hole that is made by joining them into a ring. does that make sense. I spend a lot of time looking at videos on you tube, just do a search for crochet dc or sc tons of them come up.

Karina
06-25-2008, 02:57 AM
mathwizard - I am completely and utterly grateful for your patience. I am sure mine is wrong as I am suppose to have 12 groups of dc and depending how you count them I either have 8 complete groups or 16 if you split them into 3dc and the 3dc twice. I might go buy some thinner thread maybe it will be easier to see what I am doing with thinner yarn.

mathwizard
06-25-2008, 07:51 AM
I tried it with worsted weight yarn and the hat rippled just like yours. The sport yarn is a good weight I would stick with it. Frog and start again as you haven't done enough to worry about starting over. Did you check your gauge first? If you can't get the gauge then you will have problems. I have sent you a message.
>>Your explanation about crocheting into the ring was perfect!!!:cheering:

Karina
06-25-2008, 08:25 AM
Thanks mathwizard so nice to know that I am getting something right. I am now a woman on a mission. I will master the art of crochet even if it takes a while.

I have already frogged the hat this is about the 3rd time, will keep trying. got your message and sent you a reply. Thank you so much