PDA

View Full Version : Changing a Sweater Bottom

mare-nitt
06-18-2008, 04:34 PM
I am making Knitting Pure & Simple's Henley #9727, I am using Noro Hotaru, I got it on sale. I just love the texture.
Now the pattern calls for 1 1/2 iches of garter stitch finish to the bottom edge. Can I do a rib finish and still leave the side splits in place?
I don't want a curl up problem and when I have done garter on the edge in the past it always curls up.
Thanks

katknit
06-18-2008, 05:10 PM
Yes, I can't think of a problem with that. And besides, if you don't like it, you can change it! Let us know how it turns out!

Jan in CA
06-18-2008, 07:16 PM
Sure, you can do anything you want. There are no knitting police. ;)

HOWEVER... Ribbing has a natural tendency to pull in which is why it's used on sweater bottoms, but with a side slit it will pull in and leave a gap. You might be able to experiment and maybe do a wider ribbing that doesn't pull in as much and/or use a larger needle.. :think:

BTW garter doesn't curl if you do it wide enough. Do at least an inch and it should be fine.

cam90066
06-19-2008, 01:31 AM
When I want a ribbing that doesn't draw in very much I opt for working the rib on the RS and then P'ing the entirety of the WS. (K1P1 or K2P2...whatever you choose for the front...and then P back.) P'ing the WS will force the ribbing to open up somewhat and elim some of the pull. Just make sure you have sufficient number of sts to accommodate the rib patt you want.

cam

suzeeq
06-19-2008, 08:28 AM
Another rib you can try is k2, p1 on the RS (p2, k1 ws). It only pulls in a little and nearly looks like stockinette on the RS.

Plantgoddess+
06-21-2008, 10:05 PM
Seed stitch is another option. I did a top from Big Girl Knits that used seed stitch for the bottom edge as well as the neckline. I really like how it looks and fits.