PDA

View Full Version : Rank Amateur / Pet Goats / Virgin Mohair

Kimbefly
06-19-2008, 06:56 AM
We sheared our two pet angora goats (born December) last week (got about 8 pounds), and I do not know how to best preserve its value. I know how (on paper) to wash it. Can I card it using dog brushes or do I absolutely have to buy wool carders? How big should I make the rovings?

I am not a spinner so I don't exactly know what I'm going for here. I haven't touched the wool yet. Does anybody have advice? Thank you very much.

katknit
06-19-2008, 10:33 AM
You can use dog brushes. But you know, lots of spinners buy uncombed fleece. You can sell the angora as is, or wash it first, in bags by the half pound or pound. Or, someone might buy it all. How/where are you planning to sell it?

Lousli
06-20-2008, 01:53 PM
I think you'd probably want to comb rather than card a fiber as long and lustrous as mohair. When you comb you keep the fibers parallel which makes them stronger and shinier, but when you card you have more softness, warmth and loft. I'm not sure though, because I know that there are different ways of using mohair.

If you plan to spin it yourself, you might try playing with it and doing a few different preparations of it that way. If you plan to sell it, you should probably save yourself the extra work and just sell it raw or washed only and let the spinner decide how to prepare it. It also dyes beautifully if that is something you have any interest in trying.

I'd love to see pictures of it! If I had any budget right now I'd offer to buy some of it! :aww:

Kimbefly
06-28-2008, 07:13 AM
Thank you both for your good advice. I had seen mohair offered on ebay and was thinking about selling it there, and it seems that fiber is frequently offered raw. I can save some of the fiber for you Louisli if you really want some. Should I wash it first and then wait for the spinner to comb/card/dye it? I love dying, though - that would be fun to do after washing.

If you guys have a better idea for a marketplace for the mohair, please let me in on it. Thanks so much.

Kimbefly
06-28-2008, 07:33 AM
A picture of the mohair: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28081233@N03/2618216346/?eOrig=2617385241

Kimbefly
06-28-2008, 07:35 AM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/28081233@N03/2618216346/?eOrig=2617385241

Kimbefly
06-28-2008, 07:37 AM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/28081233@N03/2618216346/?eOrig=2617385241

Maybe you can link to it. Sorry about the two empties. Kim

Lousli
06-28-2008, 01:47 PM
Wow that is beautiful! How much are you going to ask for it? I may be able to buy a small amount!

I would try Ravelry as a place to sell it. In addition to it being a great knitting/spinning/crocheting resource, there are a ton of forums there for buying, selling, and trading.

Best of luck to you!

Oh yes, on the dyeing front, you will want to use acid dyes like Jaquard Dyes on it. You also could probably Kool-Aid dye or use Wilton's on it. Mohair dyes up really nicely. Knitty.com has some articles about dyeing yarn, and you would follow the same procedure pretty much.

Kimbefly
06-30-2008, 01:28 PM
Thanks!

I am trying to figure out the price, the best way to sell it (washed, dyed, etc.), most practical quanty, and the best place to offer it. I would be happy to sell you a little. I have separated the body hair from the neck hair (curlier, better for doll hair), and the two fleeces are stored separately. I think I have about 8 pounds, but will probably sell it in 8 ounce or less quantities. Would you please let me know what is customary?

Lousli
06-30-2008, 06:56 PM
I've seen fiber sold by the ouce, but often it is sold in 4, 8 or 16 ounce quantities, or in bulk like the whole fleece.

Kimbefly
07-18-2008, 05:02 PM
Lousli, I have washed and "combed" it (just made sure it wasn't felted really, and it is lovely. I am going to ask about 2/ounce.

http://flickr.com/photos/28081233@N03/2680930996/in/photostream/

mullerslanefarm
07-22-2008, 09:41 AM
When you advertise it, be sure to state it is KID mohair. It is much softer than other mohair.

As for selling - I buy a lot of raw and washed fiber. In the raw state, as a generality, I pay about $8-$12 a pound. For washed, I'll pay up to $25/lb (but only if I have a representative lock in hand). I'm pretty particular about raw/washed fleeces because the better the prep is at the beginning, the better your spinning will be.

eta:
one other thing I just thought of. Since this is the first time you are processing fiber and since you're not a spinner, you may not want to offer the fiber at the high end prices in case what you end up with isn't a high end product.

I'm only mentioning this because I wouldn't want your future fiber sales to be compromised. Spinners remember where the high quality fiber comes from and are more than willing to repeat business if their first products are good.