PDA

View Full Version : Desparate!! Pattern Help

knitaddict06
06-21-2008, 12:26 PM
It's been awhile since I've posted as I've been really busy trying to get several blankets made for upcoming births. Once again, I'm stuck on a pattern, and hope someone out there can help me
The pattern is for the Pretty Posies in the "Our Best Knit Baby Afghans" book. I have managed to follow the pattern from rows 1 - 28. Then Rows 29 - 53: (Work in Seed Stitch acroos to next marker, work in Stockinette Stitch across to next marker)twice, work in Seed Stitch across.
What I can't figure out is what does "twice" mean? :?? This pattern is driving me nuts, I have to finish it by the 24th of July, and I can't get any farther. :hair:
If anyone can explain it to me in "idiot" terms, I'd surely appreciate it.
TIA
knitaddict06

cam90066
06-21-2008, 12:55 PM
(Work in Seed Stitch acroos to next marker, work in Stockinette Stitch across to next marker)twice

Do what's in the ( ) 2x. 'Seed st to marker, St st to marker.' Do that sequence and repeat it once more.

cam

knitaddict06
06-21-2008, 04:23 PM
Do what's in the ( ) 2x. 'Seed st to marker, St st to marker.' Do that sequence and repeat it once more.

cam
Ok, well, I've tried doing what cam90066 said to do, and I still don't get it! If there is anyone out there that has this afghan pattern, and you have time, I will pay to have this blanket made. I desparately need it by July 24th, and although I'd love to be able to make it, I just don't understand the pattern. If you have the time and can guarantee that you can have it to me by July24th, call me and lets discuss it. [phone number deleted, pm knitaddict06 if you can help].

suzeeq
06-21-2008, 05:27 PM
Did you check out my reply in the other thread?

Btw, you don't need to start a new thread for the same question, and it's also not wise to post your phone number in a public forum. You have to be signed in to post here, but anyone can read the posts. I'm going to delete your number for your security.

suzeeq
06-21-2008, 05:28 PM
Here's my post in reply on the other thread --

"You should have 3 markers on the needle. Start the row by working in seed st to the first marker, then stockinette to the next marker, then repeat - seed st to the next marker, then in stockinette again.

knitaddict06
06-21-2008, 05:54 PM
Here's my post in reply on the other thread --

"You should have 3 markers on the needle. Start the row by working in seed st to the first marker, then stockinette to the next marker, then repeat - seed st to the next marker, then in stockinette again.
no, I have 4 markers.....I seed st to the first marker, St. st to the 2nd marker, St st across to next marker, St st to the next marker, ending with seed st. Nothing works. I've tried everything. And I didn't mean to post twice. I thought I hit reply, but it put up a new thread

cam90066
06-21-2008, 06:04 PM
I seed st to the first marker, St. st to the 2nd marker, St st across to next marker, St st to the next marker, ending with seed st. Nothing works.

It's NOT seed/st st/st st/st st/seed. Your work should look like this:

SEED M ST/ST M SEED M ST/ST M SEED

You have five sections (3 of seed, 2 of st st) divided by 4 markers.

ETA: the orig pattern states to work seed, st st TWICE which means: seed, st st, seed, st st ENDING with seed.

cam

suzeeq
06-21-2008, 06:23 PM
Ah that's right, there are 5 sections, with 4 markers, missed the last section.... You alternate the seed and stockinette sections, not do 2 st together.

knitaddict06
06-21-2008, 11:19 PM
Ah that's right, there are 5 sections, with 4 markers, missed the last section.... You alternate the seed and stockinette sections, not do 2 st together.
but it doesn't come out the way it's suppose to. If you compare the blanket to the pattern, they don't come out the same. Maybe I'm just not understanding the whole thing, but I've been working on this blanket for over 2 weeks, and believe me, I've tried every way possible to make it work. It just doesn't
Thanks to all who responded. I'm sorry I'm so stupid

cam90066
06-22-2008, 12:30 AM
Finished projects of this patt are posted on Ravelry:

http://www.ravelry.com/projects/purlygirlerin/pretty-posies

http://www.ravelry.com/projects/purlygirlerin/pretty-posies-2

As per the posted images, the first section is all seed. Next section is seed/st/seed and the third section appears just as the pattern states: Five sections alternating seed/st/seed/st/seed.

cam

suzeeq
06-22-2008, 01:35 AM
She may not be able to see the Ravelry pictures and they don't show the whole pattern. But I think I have it....

Seed stitch for the first several rows for a lower border, then switch to stockinette st for the same number of rows, then seed st again. Maybe. I don't know the pattern or if it's made from edge to edge or around.

knitaddict06
06-22-2008, 02:15 AM
Finished projects of this patt are posted on Ravelry:

http://www.ravelry.com/projects/purlygirlerin/pretty-posies

http://www.ravelry.com/projects/purlygirlerin/pretty-posies-2

As per the posted images, the first section is all seed. Next section is seed/st/seed and the third section appears just as the pattern states: Five sections alternating seed/st/seed/st/seed.

cam
I can't see the pictures because I'm not a member, I guess. When I clicked on the above links, it took me to a login page.

Azlynn
06-22-2008, 02:46 AM
Hi. I don't know if this will help or not. Maybe I'm not understanding the pattern either, but the way it makes sense to me is visually (I'm a very visual person). I made a little graphic of it. Maybe it'll help you understand, it too:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v187/terriandfamily/patternexplain-1.jpg

The grey areas are seed stitch. I'm assuming the row in question are where I put the letters, but even if not I think it might help. (S = seed stitch, Ss = stockinette stitch, and | is a marker). So the first section is seed stitch, then a marker, then stockinette, then another marker, then a loooooong area of seed stitch, another marker, a section of stockinette stitch, one more marker, then it ends with seed stitch. You're making squares going around the blanket, but you're doing it row by row.

I hope that helps, and I hoping I didn't lead you astray by the way I'm explaining it. That's just the way I understand what you're asking. *hides if I'm totally wrong lol*

cam90066
06-22-2008, 03:05 AM
I can't see the pictures because I'm not a member, I guess. When I clicked on the above links, it took me to a login page.

Sorry you can't view the links. Here's one of the pics with my notations. Hopefully this, along with Azlynn's graphic will resolve your dilemma.

cam
Hopefully purlygirlerin won't mind using her image.

Knit4Pie
06-22-2008, 06:32 AM
You probably already know this, but I thought I should point it out. Remember that it can take several inches to see the pattern get established. I know this, yet with a recent project, I forgot for a bit and was on the verge of frogging before remembering. Good thing, because after an inch or 2, I could see it take shape, as it were.

suzeeq
06-22-2008, 10:48 AM
Good digram, Azlynn. And yes it can take a few rows for the pattern to look like it's supposed to. The seed and ST st sections are not equal width either.

cam90066
06-22-2008, 12:51 PM
Remember that it can take several inches to see the pattern get established.

The poster indicated she'd worked the rows leading up to the section in question so should've experienced the transition from one area to the next (seed border becoming the field of st st with seed side borders).

The seed and ST st sections are not equal width either.

Being the poster mentioned referring to the pic of the FO in her pattern, she's aware of how the different patt areas are sized and shaped. She'd also have her marker placement as a reference. She had two markers for just the border for the second section (with its wide st st field) so would've added the two markers for the transition to the inner seed field for the next section. (She said she now had her four markers.)

It'd be helpful if the poster could post a pic of her work so we could better gauge what's going awry.

cam

suzeeq
06-22-2008, 01:10 PM
"Remember that it can take several inches to see the pattern get established."

The poster indicated she'd worked the rows leading up to the section in question so should've experienced the transition from one area to the next (seed border becoming the field of st st with seed side borders).

Yes but it may take several rows for the new pattern to emerge

cam90066
06-22-2008, 01:17 PM
I still think it'd be helpful if we either had a pic or the poster could be more specific as to what, specifically, wasn't working (other than it doesn't match the FO image). Perhaps that'd give us more insight into how to help her as we're just making suggestions that may have nothing to do with what her issue is.

cam

suzeeq
06-22-2008, 02:40 PM
Agreed. Not matching the picture isn't too specific.

knitaddict06
06-25-2008, 11:51 PM
I just wanted to take the time to say a HUGE thanks to EVERYONE who replied to my post. My biggest problem was I didn't know what the "(instructions here)twice" meant. Once that was explained, I just couldn't "see" it...I knew what I needed to do, but for some reason, it just wasn't working! When I went to bed that night (after having taken out what I'd done up to that point) I was so aggravated, I just didn't even care. But when I woke up the next morning, it was like a light had suddenly come on, and I knew what I needed to do and how to do it. I am now about 1/4 way done with the blanket, and I am sure I'll have it done by the 24th. Once again, thank you soooo much to everyone who tried to help.
knitaddict06