PDA

View Full Version : Looks like I'm next on the cancer list

Knitting_Guy
06-22-2008, 10:42 PM
Rats!

When I shaved my head for the Summer I had noticed a rather large growth on the top of my head. At first I thought it was just a large mole or something, but it's over an inch long.

As it's on the top of my head I can't really see it so I took a photo of it so I could see it better.

Comparing it to some various skin cancer images on the web, as well as presenting the image to others for opinions, it appears I have a rather large basal cell carcinoma on my scalp.

Isn't that just ducky?

Well, at least it isn't a melanoma. It definitely doesn't look like or fit that description so that's a good thing.

Luckily bcc doesn't normally spread to other parts of the body and isn't usually as aggressive or life threatening as a melanoma so I can afford to wait until I get home again in a week or two to have it looked at.

I'll want it cut out right away but I'm sure they'll want to do a biopsy first. I'd rather they cut it out and then they can run all the tests on it they like.

Perhaps since I'm a trucker and not normally home for very long we can work that out. I don't know. I don't even have or know a dermatologist at home so I'll have to try and find one there and see when I can get in to see them.

Ah well, if it isn't one thing it's another.

KniftyKnitterGal
06-22-2008, 10:58 PM
Oh My Goodness!
I hope everything goes ok when you get it checked out. It may not even be anything. My mother has mole like things on her arms and such and it looks scary but it was nothing and there was no way it would harm her.
Anyway, always good to make sure right? Good Luck! :hug:
Jak:waving:

zkimom
06-22-2008, 11:22 PM
Mason,

I'm so very sorry to hear that. Just know that we all will be thinking of you and sending you healing thoughts and prayers.

Let us know what you find out.

Warmly,
Susan

saracidaltendencies
06-22-2008, 11:24 PM
So sorry to hear, I hope it turns out to be nothing serious :hug:

Crafty_Mel
06-22-2008, 11:31 PM
I hope its noting to worry about.

hugs

suzeeq
06-22-2008, 11:49 PM
Oy! Definitely have a Doc check it out and test it. Good thoughts that it turns out to be okay.

davespurl
06-22-2008, 11:55 PM
Hey Mason!

Bummer about that bcc. I recently found the same kind of thing on my forehead. I had a brown spot that I'd never seen before. My general doctor removed it, had it biopsied to confirm that it was only bcc and that was it! I did have to go to a dermatologist afterward to have my body photographed for future prevention, I'll check in with them once a year. But I was nervous about the whole thing just the same. Thankfully it turned out to be no big deal. It did hurt though when they stuck those needles in my head to numb me before removing the whole thing, but other than that it was painless. Fortunately, I have a high pain tolerance and I'll bet you do too. But I think your best bet is to check in with your regular doc or even an urgent care doc as soon as you can. They will refer you on, if need be.

As I said, bummer and I pray that you are correct and it is only basel cell. Best to you!!!

DianaM
06-23-2008, 01:11 AM
**HUGS**
You'll be in our prayers Mason

Jan in CA
06-23-2008, 01:19 AM
Keeping you in my thoughts, Mason! :hug:

KnittingNat
06-23-2008, 02:27 AM
Hope it's nothing to worry about:hug: Sending you good thoughts and positive energies:muah:

Nobones
06-23-2008, 04:04 AM
Will be thinking of you. :grphug:

DQ
06-23-2008, 05:06 AM
Hope you can get it sorted :hug:

rachejm
06-23-2008, 05:47 AM
Hope it turns out to be nothing serious. Sending positive thoughts your way xxx

Ingrid
06-23-2008, 07:05 AM
I just took my father to the doctor for the same thing--a growth that just kind of appeared. It looked like bcc, and they cut it off and sent it for testing. It took all of 5 minutes and they didn't seem concerned at all.

I hope yours' is as easy.:hug:

sue in canada
06-23-2008, 07:59 AM
Positive thoughts being sent. I hope you can get it looked at very soon.

jdee
06-23-2008, 08:02 AM
Your in my prayers. Hope it turns out to be nothing serious.

Ronda
06-23-2008, 08:08 AM
I hope it turns out to be nothing at all. You're in my thoughts and prayers.

The.Knitter
06-23-2008, 08:18 AM
Mason: talk to your GP and I am hopeful that it will just be bcc and can be removed easily. Hugs and positive thoughts coming your way!

CountryKitty
06-23-2008, 08:53 AM
:grphug:

I'm pretty sure if you insist they take it all off they will. A doctor tried to tell my MIL that he wanted to just watch a lump in her breast for a while before doing anything about it----she told him he could watch it in a jar.

Hope it turns out to be nothing serious...but glad you found it and are taking action right away.:heart:

auburnchick
06-23-2008, 08:57 AM
I'll be praying for you...

:hug:

figaro
06-23-2008, 08:58 AM
Sending you positive thoughts that it is nothing serious at all.:hug:

susi
06-23-2008, 10:03 AM
mason

my bf had the same thing on his head. they cut it off and said it was nothing at all. just sorted out and he hasnt thought about it since.

it dosent have to be the worst (although i know i think the worst as well as i am in the same boat with another type of cancer).

go get it cvhecked so you can deal with it

susi

stitchwitch
06-23-2008, 10:21 AM
If it is BCC they aren't that big of a deal to have removed. I've had 13 of them removed since I was initially diagnosed in '92. My doctor does it all in one sitting since I'm prone to them instead of doing the biopsy and subsequent visit for curretage. Tell him/her your situation and tell them to take enough to get a clean margin and when the biopsy comes back it will indicate clean margin or not. If it does say clean then you don't have to come back except for follow up in a few months. I know my dermotologist kind of balked when I told him to take the whole thing off because he said people have a freak out over the scarring if he takes the whole thing off and it's not cancer. I told him I don't care, I don't want to make multiple trips to have it removed, we've been on the cut and burn it off plan since then. Good luck.

tarrentella
06-23-2008, 10:46 AM
I hoe t is nothing serious. infact i hope it is not even as serious as a BCC, it is probably just some candy bar you stuck under your cap for safe keeping wich melted on your head :D.

hmm maybe not, but good luck with the docs and fingers crossed it is all sorted out quickely and painlessly!

bambi
06-23-2008, 11:10 AM
Mason!!!

Sorry to hear about it. You can get a derm name from your regular doc. Hope it's nothing but best to have someone remove and biopsy it. Keep us informed of what it is and how you are doing.

Bambi

bambi
06-23-2008, 11:13 AM
Oh, and Mason, it's a good thing you did shave your head. You may not have seen it otherwise.

B

Wanda Witch
06-23-2008, 11:36 AM
Hoping and praying it is nothing at all, not even the basil cell. I would make an emergency appointment with my regular doctor and if they feel a dermatologist needs to see it they can make a quicker appointment for you. Good luck, all of us here are pulling for you.

cindycactus
06-23-2008, 11:57 AM
Mason, I had a BCC removed from my nose (not as large as yours appears to be) and the Dr. took a big portion and then sent it off. Just don't wait too long. Be praying for you.

Silver
06-23-2008, 12:13 PM
*hugs Mason*

Sunshine's Mom
06-23-2008, 12:15 PM
Keep positive, Mason (as you always do!). Keep us posted. I'll think only good thoughts for you. :hug:

Dangles
06-23-2008, 12:52 PM
Oy, Mason, sure was a good thing you shaved your head. Hoping it's only a BCC. Sending you some prayers. :hug:

Pat in Ca
06-23-2008, 12:56 PM
I have several friends who have had skin cancers cut out..they are all doing well..most times it proves to be nothing, but the Dr's always seem to act on the conservative side and cut things out..but I know it is stressful waiting to see a Dr...sorry you are having to deal with this stress..take care..

Sewing Angel
06-23-2008, 01:31 PM
Good thing you shaved your head! I hope it all turns out well. I will be thinking of you.
Angel

ritaw
06-23-2008, 01:56 PM
I hope it is nothing serious Mason . But please get it checked out as soon as you can .

jeanius80
06-23-2008, 03:03 PM
praying for you Mason!

mks22300
06-23-2008, 07:47 PM
I hope it turns out to be nothing Mason!

Knitting_Guy
06-23-2008, 08:27 PM
it is probably just some candy bar you stuck under your cap for safe keeping wich melted on your head :D.

:roflhard:

Knitting_Guy
06-23-2008, 08:32 PM
Thanks for the positive and informative comments folks. I'll get it checked as soon as I can manage it. I also have a brown patch on my cheek that started growing about a year ago that I want to get checked as well. That one is probably just age I suppose but I may as well ask about it anyway.

I think I'll request a load for home when I get back to the yard later this week.

In the meantime I'm not going to worry about it too much. Either it is cancerous or it isn't and worrying won't change that one way or the other. I am however taking a few sensible precautions like using sunscreen more and wearing a hat to shade my face and head out in the sun. No sense being stupid about it. Probably should have been doing those things all along anyway.

Alyce
06-23-2008, 08:58 PM
I'm really sorry to hear that. Don't wait when you get back. Find a dermatologist as soon as possible. If you have a primary care Doc they can refer you if you don't know anyone. Good luck with the biopsy and all.
I'll keep positive thoughts in my head for you.http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/images/smilies/aug08_029.gif
:grphug:
Alycehttp://bestsmileys.com/fingers/1.gif
Crossed Fingers

Alyce
06-23-2008, 09:00 PM
I'm really sorry to hear that. Don't wait when you get back. Find a dermatologist as soon as possible. If you have a primary care Doc they can refer you if you don't know anyone. Good luck with the biopsy and all.
I'll keep positive thoughts in my head for you.:grphug:
AlyceCrossed Fingers

scout52
06-23-2008, 11:17 PM
Good luck Mason!! I'll be keeping you in my thoughts!!

bethany
06-24-2008, 09:10 AM
oh mason--crap. Thank goodness you shaved your head so you caught it when you did. Hope it all turns out well.

Cancer sucks.

Healthy thoughts to you.

CountryKitty
06-24-2008, 10:23 AM
Say, Mason, those fedoras like Indiana Jones wore shade all sides at once and are pretty sharp lookin' hats...and they used to sell a lightweight version at Wallyworld like what Jack Rousch wears at all the NASCAR events.

Bet you'd look good in one!:thumbsup:

Debkcs
06-24-2008, 12:48 PM
Hey Mason. I get those things all the time, in differet forms. My DH does also. We have our doc look at them, and he usually says they're nothing to worry about. We've had a few of them biopsed, and they've all been negative, even though they looked like BCC. We've had them removed from anywhere 'seeable' by anyone but us.

Will be praying lots until you let us know.

Cynamar
06-24-2008, 01:19 PM
Prayers are with you, Mason!

Knit4Fun
06-24-2008, 04:45 PM
There are a lot of birthmarks, moles and other beauty marks that aren't cancerous...wait and see what the doctor says before you get too worried. It's good that you are being proactive though. I'll keep you in my prayers! Stay safe out there...

:muah:

iwouldratherbeknitting
06-24-2008, 05:26 PM
All I know is that it can take awhile to get in to see a 'derm' especially as a 'new patient'... is there anyway you can look up some doctors in your home town and call now for an appointment? Since, they aren't likely able to see you immediately anyway? That way you can see them as soon as you get in to town- you don't even have to go to a primary care doctor if you don't want to either.

Knitting_Guy
06-25-2008, 06:28 PM
Say, Mason, those fedoras like Indiana Jones wore shade all sides at once and are pretty sharp lookin' hats...and they used to sell a lightweight version at Wallyworld like what Jack Rousch wears at all the NASCAR events.

Bet you'd look good in one!:thumbsup:

Actually a fedora is one of my favorite hat styles. I have a couple of different ones in the truck with me (along with about a dozen or so other hats). I'll be wearing them from now on. Today I've just been wearing a rather misshappen straw beach hat. It works.

evona
06-25-2008, 06:44 PM
Misshappen are the best kind of straw beach hats in mho!

Knitting_Guy
06-25-2008, 11:53 PM
Misshappen are the best kind of straw beach hats in mho!

Yup! It was kinda funny really, I showed up at the yard today wearing my ugly plaid shorts, a bright green tee shirt, navy blue deck shoes, and my beach hat and everyone kept commenting that I was wearing my Florida clothes LOL

kristaj
06-26-2008, 01:52 AM
From going through this with both my DH and my dad I know that a family practice doctor can remove and biopsy. If it does come back as something needing more attention they can get you in to a derm faster. When it comes to anything medical faster is better, the waiting is always the hardest part. My prayers and thoughts are with you. :hug:

PurlyGyrl
06-26-2008, 08:27 AM
:hug: Hope things go well for you.

Doublereeder2
06-26-2008, 09:33 AM
You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Eccie
06-26-2008, 10:41 AM
I thought I'd already responded to this but I guess I forgot to hit enter.

I'm sorry to hear this, I hope the biopsy comes out all right.

suziehomemaker
06-26-2008, 04:26 PM
I hope you're able to get to a dermatologist ASAP. My guy gets me in very quickly and we just finished removing 16 of my moles. That's not a typo - 16 moles removed. I've very fair skinned and I'm never in the sun. With this stuff it's better to be over cautious then let it spread.
There's not much pain involved in the removal - it's the numbing shots that hurt like a b%*&$ !

boo1
06-27-2008, 04:06 PM
I bet it won't be anything serious, but get it checked asap and keep us posted.

:hug:

lelvsdgs
06-30-2008, 07:12 PM
Please don't play around with this too long. It's probably nothing but why play russian roulette...
Prayers and good thoughts coming your way. Yes, never leave the house without sunscreen!

Jaxhil
07-02-2008, 10:59 AM
oh no!! I hope every thing turns out ok, and you get it taken care of ASAP~I'll keep you in my prayers.

BTW, I can just see you in that get-up :mrgreen: sounds like it was very comfy, altho possibly lacking in style-lol. (what would I know, though? hehe)

Let us know how you're doing! {{hugs}}

KnitClickChick
07-02-2008, 07:53 PM
Best wishes, Mason!:hug:

Doodknitwit
07-02-2008, 11:27 PM
Mason we pray you are fine and not off the road for long :waving:

ArtLady1981
07-03-2008, 02:53 PM
I missed this thread, Mason! :pout: (vacation, no internet access)

Good thing, shaving your head! If you haven't already done so...get your behind into a dermatologist soon. My DH has had numerous suspicious moley things...and one (on his face no less) turned out to be cancerous. Early detection, treatment and/or removal is the name of the game.

Fortunately his was detected early enough. They didn't have to hack him up too much. And, most important, it was totally removed.

Interestingly, his dermatologist has had 16 cancerous thingies removed from his own self in the past few years. He is fair haired and rather freckly.

BIG HUGS your way from the Artlady! :hug: