PDA

View Full Version : Sun Allergy!?

kristaj
06-23-2008, 05:45 PM
My son was just diagnosed by our family doctor with what she thinks is a sun allergy (major itchy rash over torso and face). She is sending us to a dermatologist to be sure, but it is going to be quite a while before we can get in. I had never heard of this and as we live in Texas it sounds like this is going to be a big problem. Has anyone heard of this and if you have, any suggestions?

Krista

Jan in CA
06-23-2008, 05:49 PM
Yup. I got a rash/hives twice, both times when I was in Hawaii where the sun is strong and hot.

http://www.intelihealth.com/IH/ihtIH/WSIHW000/9339/10710.html
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/sun-allergy/AN00305

evona
06-23-2008, 06:33 PM
Yes, its true. You can become allergic to the sun, but I've heard that kids can grow out of it after a while. I will keep my fingers crossed and send good thoughts for you and your son. I'm sure that when you get in to see an allergist he can give you some tips to help prevent the rash.

BTW - I have the opposite problem. I am allergic to the cold! Yep, I couldn't believe it either, but I always break out in awful hives once the temperature went down on hiking trips. I finally found out that it is an allergic reaction to cold. Well, I'm not letting it stop me from going outside. I just have to take preemptive measures to limit its occurrence, including putting on my puffy down pants long before I think i need them :roflhard:

Ellieblue
06-23-2008, 07:42 PM
I think I had it happen to me after a trip to Florida. The itching didn't start until I was home for about a week. The only thing that helped was to shake cornstarch on my bed and roll in it.(I was itching from the top of my head to the soles of my feet) TG it never happened again.

kristaj
06-23-2008, 08:08 PM
What a great idea about the cornstarch. I'll have to try it tonight when he goes to bed. Poor thing, he was up half the night itching!

stitchwitch
06-23-2008, 08:20 PM
I get it occasionally but I don't venture into the daylight much if I can help it, I'm too fair. I always go out after 4pm. I can't stand that itchy/burning rash, it's miserable. I haven't found anything that helps, I hope your son gets over it soon.

auntcrafty
06-23-2008, 09:31 PM
May I ask if the rash appeared after applying sunscreen? I'm allergic to the ingredients in sunscreen (corn, soy, and gluten derivatives), which made my skin break out in an angry red rash that made it appear I was allergic to the sun.

kristaj
06-23-2008, 09:57 PM
The first time he broke out in the rash we thought it was sunscreen. We have now tried sunscreens for sensitive skins and have watched the ingredients. He has also had the rash when there was no sunscreen used. I guess he is going to have to be one of those people who goes out only in the morning and evenings, or wears long sleeves all the time.

Knitting_Guy
06-23-2008, 10:04 PM
http://www.dermadoctor.com/pages/newsletter101.asp

scout52
06-23-2008, 11:11 PM
Yep its true. I developed a sun allergy when I was a nanny and we were spending 4 days a week at the pool and I was shocked as I am naturally tanned!!! and I was wearing spf 30 everyday. The dermatologist gave me medication to put on the rash. I did get some permanent discoloration on my back where the rash was the worse but not anywhere else. good luck!! it does go away on its own. It may flare up every once in a while if he is ill and was on anitibotics.

stacyk9
06-23-2008, 11:14 PM
I am allergic to the sun, but thankfully it's only for the first couple weeks of summer. I guess my skin get used to it after a while. The only thing that helps me is applying alot of sunscreen and staying out of the sun as much as possible. Also, as soon as I get inside I wash the sunscreen off and apply lotion for sensitive skin. It seems to help keep the itching to a minimum. I've also used prescription strength hydrocortisone.

CountryKitty
06-24-2008, 10:06 AM
When my DD had the chickenpox, the only thing that alleviated the itching was colloidial oatmeal dumped in a tub of warm water. She'd get in and roll in the water and then just sort of wallow in it, relaxing and playing, til the water was too cold to stand. It really helped her tremendously...a bath in it before bed let her get some sleep. At the time (12 years ago), it was sold under the Aveeno brand name in the Walmart Pharmacy. Hope you can find some.