PDA

View Full Version : Southeast US Oddball Baby Blankets

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

nephthys8
09-15-2008, 11:16 AM
Randall and I went to Biltmore House in Asheville, NC yesterday and the Summer Olympics blanket came along for the ride!

So, first off, I'm excited to hear that this one has gotten underway! :woohoo:

On a different, but related (literally), note, I am related to Frederick Law Olmsted, the man who designed the grounds at Biltmore Estate, the National Zoo here in DC, Central Park in NYC, and several other places. We went to Biltmore years ago on vacation and I would love to go back sometime. Incidentally, my last name is Olmsted. Just thought I'd share! :mrgreen:

lizardknits
09-15-2008, 11:21 AM
yay for famous relatives!!!!!
I have definitely heard of Frederick Law Olmstead, better known as the father of the parks movement or landscaping and architectural design (My degree will be in recreation and parks management, so I have learned about the history of recreation and parks over my time here as well as stuff related directly to what I will be doing in the future....the not too distant future, I might add....Im finishing school in August of next year!!!!!!!wOOt)

nephthys8
09-15-2008, 11:32 AM
yay for famous relatives!!!!!
I have definitely heard of Frederick Law Olmstead, better known as the father of the parks movement or landscaping and architectural design (My degree will be in recreation and parks management, so I have learned about the history of recreation and parks over my time here as well as stuff related directly to what I will be doing in the future....the not too distant future, I might add....Im finishing school in August of next year!!!!!!!wOOt)

That is awesome! I went to Yosemite this summer (back in June) and went to Olmsted point as well. My family and I had our picture taken by the sign with the name on it because that's how we roll, lol.

Just a side note, too... if you use his/our last name in any papers, make sure you spell it right. It's a very common error, but there's no "a" in it. :)

HollyP
09-15-2008, 01:04 PM
Lisa, I updated the blog (http://seoddballbabyblanket.blogspot.com/) with your answers. Did you take a picture of Atlantic waves? I would love to add it to the blog as well.

Erica - that's cool! My friends have a dog named Olmsted that they found as a puppy in Central Park. I guess I didn't realize he (the person not the dog:teehee:) was responsible for more than Central Park.

Sandy and Brenda you are both making me really want to make the trip. Mom and I have been talking about it for years but haven't had the chance yet. I'll have to show her your pictures, they are beautiful!

nephthys8
09-15-2008, 04:13 PM
What is your favorite fiber?
Anything soft. I'm not super-familiar with different fibers yet, so really anything that feels nice.

What fibers do you not like?
I'm starting to understand why 100% acrylic just isn't as special as some of these others. Looking back, I wish I'd known more about yarn before I made a whole blanket out of acrylic yarn. So, anything that is rough, itchy, and/or un-natural is not really my thing.

Are you allergic to anything, knitting or non-knitting related?
Pollen, dust, and (to some mild extent) pets. But I have a cat and my roommate has a dog. I promise it isn't severe or anything.

Are there any yarn types you don't like? (eyelash, etc)
Anything having to do with lace and/or that is white. I like colors and I don't do lace... I'm just not interested in it.

What weight yarn do you prefer?
I don't think I have a preference, but so far I have only knitted with worsted and bought some sock/fingering yarn that I have yet to try. (I hope I love it, though, because I really want to make cute socks!) I would LOVE to try some bulky or super-bulky, but I have to stop buying yarn for the moment and work on the projects that I have already started.

Is there a weight yarn you don't like?
Again, probably anything that looks like it is for lace. Everything else I feel like I can find a use for.

What do you like to knit? (sock, scarves, hats, afghans, etc.)
I like practial things mostly. I've done scaves and blankets and I want to try socks (badly) and maybe gloves, too. I personally don't like wearing hats, so I can't see doing those. When I get very brave I might do a sweater, but I would also have to find a pattern that I really love, first.

What knitting accessories do you like or use a lot? Not like or not use?
I don't think I really have a lot of gadjets yet. I did buy a row-counter, but found that I really dislike the extra weight on a straight needle. I have not tried the kind that you pin to the piece, though. I just started working with circulars (I bought sizes 1, 2, and 8 so that I could do socks and basic things with worsted-weight yarn) and I am really liking those because they travel SO much easier.

What non-knitting things do you like?
I ride my bike outside for exercise and I really love that! I'm also addicted to a whole list of TV shows (Lost, Grey's Anatomy, Private Practice, Dexter, Hereos, Weeds, House M.D., I think there's more...). I LOVE sushi and chocolate, but not chocolate with coconut or nuts and dark chocolate or chocolate with caramel is extra yummy!

Favorite scent?
Lilac, Bath and Body Works Cucumber Melon or Honeysuckle (not really sure if they make either of those anymore)... anything really except vanilla (I know, I'm weird :P) and spicy scents (which I am pretty particular about).

Favorite color?
Purple has been a biggie for me for a while now, but I like all colors, so long as they are muted and not pastel. I also prefer earth-tones (blue, green, brown, etc.) and can't usually find anything to do with orange and yellow (neither of which I really like all that well).

Favorite flavor?
Chocolate! (See above.) Also, anything fruity (strawberry, grape, watermelon, etc.) with the exception of lemon and banana (gross flavors for candy, in my opinion).

Do you collect anything?
I do collect stuffed animals, but it is a very space-hogging thing to collect and I've basically stopped buying them. I can still appreciate a very nice teddy bear (the $40 ones that are super-soft), but it isn't something I really indulge in anymore. One day, I hope to have a curio cabinet to put all of them in. Also, I like unusual/local jewelery that doesn't look like what you find in department stores. For example, I have a black coral necklace that my parents bought me from the Cayman Islands, and some special celtic-inspired pieces I bought for myself in the UK.

Anything else you like that is not listed here?
I have a cat, Ellie, who is my furry baby--whether she likes it or not. I spoil her and love her to pieces. :)

Howdovely
09-15-2008, 04:20 PM
So, first off, I'm excited to hear that this one has gotten underway! :woohoo:

On a different, but related (literally), note, I am related to Frederick Law Olmsted, the man who designed the grounds at Biltmore Estate, the National Zoo here in DC, Central Park in NYC, and several other places. We went to Biltmore years ago on vacation and I would love to go back sometime. Incidentally, my last name is Olmsted. Just thought I'd share! :mrgreen:

Wow, how cool! We have only seen a tiny portion of the grounds so far, but everything near the house is just georgeous. I get so hung up on the views tho - that I miss so much else!

kellybigeyes
09-15-2008, 04:25 PM
Favorite scent?
Lilac, Bath and Body Works Cucumber Melon or Honeysuckle (not really sure if they make either of those anymore)... anything really except vanilla (I know, I'm weird :P) and spicy scents (which I am pretty particular about).

Favorite flavor?
Chocolate! (See above.) Also, anything fruity (strawberry, grape, watermelon, etc.) with the exception of lemon and banana (gross flavors for candy, in my opinion).

Erica... I don't like the scent of vanilla. I like if Iam cooking/baking with it, but I don't like lotions or candles that smell like vanilla. YUCKY!! I don't like banana flavored candy... but I LOVE LOVE LOVE lemon anything!!!

nephthys8
09-15-2008, 04:43 PM
Erica... I don't like the scent of vanilla. I like if Iam cooking/baking with it, but I don't like lotions or candles that smell like vanilla. YUCKY!! I don't like banana flavored candy... but I LOVE LOVE LOVE lemon anything!!!

Haha, YES! I am not alone!! And yes, I agree that vanilla when baking is lovely (and that's the only time). Also, I know so many people who LOOOOOOVE lemon candy. My friend Jackie from college used to down big handfuls of Lemonheads. It made me feel ill, lol. :roflhard:

Howdovely
09-15-2008, 08:56 PM

How funny! I've never known anyone else that didn't like it either! It makes me nauseous to smell Vanilla Candles, perfume, lotion - anything. :ick: Yuck :ick:

LBECK
09-16-2008, 07:25 AM
Yes, I did get a pic of Atlantic waves last night. Here she is. I am not too happy with the color that I picked after I got in on there it didn't look as good as I had hoped. Sorry.

LBECK
09-16-2008, 07:26 AM
Chocolate Mint is ready for the next knitter. According to the blog iheartmystash
is next. Just need an addy and it will be on its way.

LBECK
09-16-2008, 07:31 AM
Oh, I almost forgot to post the pic. The brown is blocks to represent chocolate candy and the mint color is supposed to be a leaf pattern to represent the Mint.

MAmaDawn
09-16-2008, 08:17 AM
Checking with the next knitter...

And I think Atlantic Waves looks GREAT!

MAmaDawn
09-16-2008, 08:36 AM
I must be loosing it.... thought I said this, guess I thought it and just didn't post it....

Chocolate Mint looks great too, I like the leaf pattern!

lizardknits
09-16-2008, 10:34 AM
i :heart: chocolate mint and atlantic waves!!!!

MAmaDawn
09-16-2008, 10:39 AM
I think I really am loosing it... I didn't post that I got Cookies and Cream... and thank you, Misha rf, for the lovely yarn... don't know what I'm going to make with it, it'll be fun looking on Rav to see what others have done and get ideas, it's sooooo soft!

misha rf
09-16-2008, 11:14 AM
I'm glad you got it, and that you liked the yarn! I was starting to worry, b/c I was an idiot & forgot to get tracking on it. :doh:

HollyP
09-16-2008, 11:19 AM
:hug:Dawn! We've all had those kind of days! My mom always says "you're not losing it it's just temporarily misplaced"

Lisa- Atlantic waves and Chocolate mint both look fantastic! I like the color you used it reminds me of the North Atlantic.

misha rf
09-16-2008, 11:20 AM
Chocolate Mint & Atlantic Waves look lovely!!

(heh. I initially typed "Chocolate Mine." Gee...what could I possibly be thinking..:rofl:)

blkirback
09-16-2008, 12:26 PM
Both blankets look fantastic! I think I am after iheartmystash, so I guess I need to go and buy some yarn...:happydance: I'm getting excited now, I can't wait to start working on them.

kellybigeyes
09-16-2008, 01:08 PM
Chocolate Mint and Atlantic Waves look beautiful!! I just wanted to let everyone know that I will be having surgery on my wrist in the morning. I have a cyst that has to be removed. There will be no knitting for me for at least 2 weeks...unless I can figure out a way!! I will be checking in on the thread, however, I may not be able to type for a few days. I just wanted to let you all know that I will be checking in... I just may not be able to respond right away. As soon as I am able to, I will let you all know how it goes. Your prayers would be greatly appreciated!! I'm not really worried about the surgery (or not being able to knit) but my DH is going to have to take care of our 16 month old for the first 5 or 6 days (since I can't use my arm at all during that time). So, my house will be crazy for the next week or so.

Thanks

blkirback
09-16-2008, 01:10 PM
Chocolate Mint and Atlantic Waves look beautiful!! I just wanted to let everyone know that I will be having surgery on my wrist in the morning. I have a cyst that has to be removed. There will be no knitting for me for at least 2 weeks...unless I can figure out a way!! I will be checking in on the thread, however, I may not be able to type for a few days. I just wanted to let you all know that I will be checking in... I just may not be able to respond right away. As soon as I am able to, I will let you all know how it goes. Your prayers would be greatly appreciated!! I'm not really worried about the surgery (or not being able to knit) but my DH is going to have to take care of our 16 month old for the first 5 or 6 days (since I can't use my arm at all during that time). So, my house will be crazy for the next week or so.

Thanks

I hope everything goes good for you.:hug:

HollyP
09-16-2008, 02:23 PM
Good luck tomorrow Kelly! You and DH are in my prayers!

lizardknits
09-16-2008, 04:12 PM
:pray:

LBECK
09-16-2008, 05:32 PM
Atlantic Waves is in route to Kayrun. Confirmation number is 03080730000040456808.

Kelly good luck with your surgery and dh taking care of things.

Shandeh
09-16-2008, 09:23 PM
Biltmore IS beautiful - we love going. That was our third time this year and we plan on going two more times. (We upgraded to an annual pass so anything after the 2nd time is basically free.)
You're so lucky! I told my hubby about your annual pass, and he is very jealous. :teehee:
......I am related to Frederick Law Olmsted, the man who designed the grounds at Biltmore Estate....
Way Cool! :thumbsup:
.....Sandy and Brenda you are both making me really want to make the trip......
Biltmore is ALWAYS gorgeous, but my favorite times to go are in the Spring or at Christmas. In the spring, there are tulips and azaleas EVERYWHERE! And the Christmas decorations are just beautiful, especially in the evening during the candlelight tour. :heart: :heart:
Yes, I did get a pic of Atlantic waves last night. Here she is. I am not too happy with the color that I picked after I got in on there it didn't look as good as I had hoped.
I think it looks neat. Reminds me of the tide moving in at the shore....the way it has different colors as it moves in and out on the sand.
........I just wanted to let everyone know that I will be having surgery on my wrist in the morning. I have a cyst that has to be removed..........
I'll be praying for you, Kelly! :pray:

MAmaDawn
09-16-2008, 09:45 PM
Still praying here too

GennyLynn1962
09-17-2008, 08:15 AM
Best of luck with your surgery! I'll be thinking about you and will keep you and your family in my prayers.

I had a cyst removed from my hand when I was 16, felt much better after I had it removed.

lizardknits
09-17-2008, 04:13 PM
I will post a reply on here once I get butterfly kisses, so that we can keep track of it. It will probably get here tomorrow (Tuesday) or Wednesday.
Guess what came in the mail today???!!!!

If you guessed HollyP's package with Butterfly Kisses, your right!!!!! :woot: :woohoo: :happydance: :yay: :hug: cloud9
the first picture is of the package
the second picture is of the blanket on my bed, with the yarn that I will add to it. Note my bed decorations :teehee: .
the third picture is a close up of the blanket with the yarn that I will add to it. I bought Caron Simply Soft in Soft Green yesterday. That is the ball of yarn that you see pictured.

Funny question, but have we all been using simply soft for this project? Cuz this yarn is really soft :inlove: :heart: cloud9 .
Thanks, Holly P.
(now that you know my address, are you gonna send me a birthday card in less than a month? :teehee: My birthday is on October 5th)

HollyP
09-17-2008, 06:49 PM
I think this blanket is all made of SS so far. I tend to use it for these projects since it is so soft, comes in so many colors, and it's cheap! The green will look great! Your b-day is 2 days after my sil's. I just realized looking at the pictures that I left a little something out. Oops!
I can't wait to see your section!

lizardknits
09-19-2008, 11:37 AM
thanks, I just started it last night/today. I really picked a good color choice. I hope to have a progress pic up soon. :D

kellybigeyes
09-19-2008, 01:04 PM
hey everyone. my surgery went well. i am in a great deal of pain. hubby is doing great taking care of me. i miss being able tp hold and take care of my little girl. it is going to be a very long 2 weeks. i am in a cast like thing for 2 weeks. so there will be no kniiting at all. :( please keep praying for us. i am really having a hard time. i cant do much for myself at all. i hate depending on other people. sorry for the typos. i am doing this with one hand. thanks so much.

MAmaDawn
09-19-2008, 01:47 PM
thanks, I just started it last night/today. I really picked a good color choice. I hope to have a progress pic up soon. :D

looking forward to seeing it

hey everyone. my surgery went well. i am in a great deal of pain. hubby is doing great taking care of me. i miss being able tp hold and take care of my little girl. it is going to be a very long 2 weeks. i am in a cast like thing for 2 weeks. so there will be no kniiting at all. :( please keep praying for us. i am really having a hard time. i cant do much for myself at all. i hate depending on other people. sorry for the typos. i am doing this with one hand. thanks so much.

Kelly I was so glad to see that you posted, good to hear from you!

I'm glad the surgery went well. I'm sorry you are in so much pain. And that it's so hard... but good job hubby with taking care of you! I will keep praying, will pray that you heal faster than the dr has even seen before!
:hug:

HollyP
09-19-2008, 07:46 PM
Kelly, big big :hug:s! I will continue to pray for you!!

Lizardknits- can't wait to see it too!

blkirback
09-19-2008, 10:14 PM

So glad to hear that the surgery went well. I'll pray for you that the healing goes quickly and you can get back to your normal life soon.

I bought some yarn last night for working on the blankets. I finally finished all of my baby projects,:eyes: I'll get some pictures of things tomorrow. Things have been hetic here for the past week and I just finally got the disk back for the camera so I can take pictures.

misha rf
09-19-2008, 10:20 PM
Kelly, I'm glad your surgery went well, & I'm sorry you're in pain. Sending you :hug: (but a gentle one!)

lizardknits
09-19-2008, 11:10 PM
thanks guys!!!! I hope to have pictures of it soon. I got a lot of the work on it done tonight. I went to student health services cuz my calf was swollen (I have been having excrucating calf pain for the past two days and got a cam boot for it) and I wanted a professional opinion as to whether it was bad enough to go to the ER because of the swelling or to get an ultrasound of my leg (blood clot had not been ruled out at this point. The doc at student health took a look at my left leg as compared to my right leg and it was definitely swollen. I got a cab to an ER and ended up spending four hours there, in between waiting and being seen and more waiting, and being seen, and bloodwork, and waiting, and finally results(I got back to campus at 10:15 eastern time). I was very glad that I had brought it with me to work on. It was also nice because since it is a blanket and since it is getting to be decent sized, when my hands got tired, I could put the blanket over my legs, and voila, i dont need a blanket (hospitals get cold and they asked me if I wanted a blanket). All in all, this has been a productive day for knitting.

HollyP
09-20-2008, 01:23 AM
Lizardknits I hope everything is OK! Good thinking bringing along some knitting! Last week I went with my Mom to the hospital for a test and didn't bring anything along thinking it would go pretty fast since she had the appt and all. Boy was I wrong! I would have given anything to have had some knitting or a book to read with me! I actually put some dishcloth cotton and a pair of needles in the car the next day. Next time I will be prepared!!

kayrun
09-20-2008, 12:11 PM
Received Atlantic Waves yesterday - -
will add my part this week (hopefully before next
weekend, as my friend's dd is getting married & I'm supposed
to be helping out for 2 days!)
Karen G
in GA

blkirback
09-20-2008, 01:27 PM
Lizardknits- I hope that you are okay and that everything turns/turned out alright for you.

Well, I got some picutures taken of the stuff that I made. I don't think that they are very good pictures but the camera hates me so I wouldn't be surprised.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3115/2873164296_e1fb9bf43e_m.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3063/2872333783_d94a68d226_m.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3239/2873162060_f1cdbfca27_m.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3083/2872331723_dae993b56b_m.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3093/2873159976_bcd6bd63f4_m.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3150/2872326157_13331dd17f_m.jpg

I didn't figure you guys would need me to explain what they were!

HollyP
09-20-2008, 02:36 PM
blkirback, Everything is so cute! Great job!

Shandeh
09-20-2008, 03:52 PM
Kelly, I'm praying for a quick recuperation. :heart: :pray: :heart:

Lizardknits, be careful with that leg! :pout:

blkirback, love your knitting! :inlove:

I have an idea for future blankets...how about we do some with college colors? (UNC, NC State, USC Gamecocks, VA Tech, UVA, Florida, etc.)

HollyP
09-20-2008, 04:54 PM
That's a great idea Shandeh!! I'm not sure I could knit on a UVA one. Were a Tech family as my bro and sil went to Tech. Go Hokies!

blkirback
09-20-2008, 07:27 PM
I like that idea. Go LSU.

Howdovely
09-20-2008, 08:05 PM
Kelly, I'm praying for a quick recuperation. :heart: :pray: :heart:

Lizardknits, be careful with that leg! :pout:

blkirback, love your knitting! :inlove:

I have an idea for future blankets...how about we do some with college colors? (UNC, NC State, USC Gamecocks, VA Tech, UVA, Florida, etc.)

I will TOTALLY knit on UNC! Go TARHEELS!

lizardknits
09-20-2008, 11:35 PM
thanks for the concern, Sandy. I can walk. As far as my follow up goes, I will probably schedule it for Monday afternoon, since I only have one class on Mondays and Fridays, and its at 8 am (my other days are two classes each and theres an online class that I am taking). My dad sent me a list of primary care doctors in the vicinity of my location as a pdf (since I had my testing done here, it would be easier if I saw a doc here). As I said, my test came back negative for a blood clot, but I did have elevated levels of creatinase, which is a found when muscle breaks down. So, we are probably back to the same diagnosis that we started with, strained calf muscle of unknown origin. Yes I did say unknown. I havent been exercising, so its not like I hurt myself from working out. :pout: If anything, this happened in my sleep, which makes it sound even worse :pout:
still, at least I can walk now (operative word being now.....:teehee:......operative being a funny word considering my next pre-op appointment is november 28th, with my next surgery being this december.....yay.....more fun :teehee:)
In other news, my section of the blanket is almost done (I have 2 more rows to do). I will try to get a picture soon. ::D::
hugs to all (especially Kelly)
lizardknits (Elizabeth)

lizardknits
09-20-2008, 11:38 PM
Dont forget UNC Greensboro!!!!
People often forget us cuz we dont have a football team :pout:

Shandeh
09-21-2008, 01:49 AM
I finished all the white stockinette, and am ready to do the duplicate stitching for my section of the "Go USA" blanket.

I decided to use an alphabet from Tink's Second Book of Duplicate Stitch Patterns for the words, and a chart for a simple star I found online.

First, I counted how many stitches I have available in the stockinette section. ( 94 stitches across, and 21 rows high)

Then, I chose the alphabet I wanted, and copied it down on a graph by hand. Next, I put it into another graph in Excel. Finally, I copied and pasted it into Paint. :shock: It didn't take as long as I thought it would. And, it was actually kinda fun!

Here's the chart I made: (click to see it large)

Shandeh
09-21-2008, 01:53 AM
I think that if we decide to do college colors for future blankets, we should choose colleges that are near the hospital where we are donating the blankets. But, I would think that MAmaDawn should make the final decision.

blkirback
09-21-2008, 10:27 AM
That is so cool how you did the graph. Maybe someday I will be able to do something like that but I'm no where near that good. I can't wait to see it on the blanket.

I agree that MsmaDawn should have the final say so with the blankets.

HollyP
09-21-2008, 11:22 AM
Sandy that is soo cool!
Feel better soon Elizabeth! I totally understanf the doing something in your sleep. I have had more than my fair share of sleep induced injuries.

As for schools near the hospital I really don't think that is too much of a concern. The hospital is located in a BIG military area. People are from everywhere! So it is very conceivable that any team we would do would have a fan. One day my sil and I were out shopping and lost count after 15 different college team shirts we saw in about 2 hours. It's definitely not like say Ohio where every one roots for The Ohio State University.

Shandeh
09-21-2008, 02:06 PM
That is so cool how you did the graph. Maybe someday I will be able to do something like that but I'm no where near that good.......
Aww...thanks! You can do it....just take your time. The first thing I did was the words. When I saw how many spaces I had left, I realized I had room for a star on each end. :)
....As for schools near the hospital I really don't think that is too much of a concern. The hospital is located in a BIG military area. People are from everywhere!
:thumbsup:

lizardknits
09-21-2008, 04:43 PM
Lizardknits- can't wait to see it too!

looking forward to seeing it

hey guys
I just finished my section for the Butterfly Kisses Oddball Baby Blanket.
here are some pictures of it for your viewing pleasure
i took a few pictures of it cuz I was having so much fun (and yes, I have not cut off the yarn yet and left a nice tail for Kelly)
enjoy
Elizabeth

blkirback
09-21-2008, 06:59 PM
That looks so good Lizardknits and everyone else who has worked on it so far. I love the colors together.

kellybigeyes
09-21-2008, 09:05 PM
Butterfly Kisses is Beautiful!!! Man, I can't wait to work on it!!

Shandeh
09-21-2008, 09:48 PM
Beautiful! :heart: :heart:

Moxiemade
09-22-2008, 01:13 AM
Butterfly Kisses looks fantastic!

I hope everyone is doing better.

I finished my section of M&M's today and as I was arranging it to take a picture I couldn't figure out why it looked a little funky compared to the rest of it. Finally I realized that I had forgotten my knitted edge stitches! GRR!! I can't believe I did that. It really stood out and so I frogged my section and started reknitting it tonight. Hopefully I'll get it done in the next day or two after work. I'm so sorry about the delay. :(

MAmaDawn
09-22-2008, 07:19 AM
Nice work Elizabeth! It really is looking GREAT! I'll check with the next knitter.

And don't worry about it taking longer Carmen, I think it's great that you took the time to frog all you did to make it look better. Sorry that you had to.

HollyP
09-22-2008, 10:49 AM
Great Job Elizabeth!!

Kelly, good to see you around. I hope you are feeling better!

Carmen, wow thanks so much for taking the time to fix it! How frustrating! You get the gold star for dedication!:star:

nephthys8
09-22-2008, 12:00 PM

I am LOVING this idea (and am jealous that I didn't think of it myself!). I didn't go to any of the big schools, so I am not really particuar which one(s) I'd knit on. But I definitely think we should do it! :mrgreen:

kellybigeyes
09-22-2008, 12:07 PM
Here are a couple pics of my arm. Look at the aweful position it's in. No knitting for another week or so.:waah: I am feeling a bit better. Just totally dependent on others (which i hate). Keep Praying!! :pray:

Shandeh
09-22-2008, 07:40 PM
I am LOVING this idea (and am jealous that I didn't think of it myself!)....
:teehee: You're so funny...
Here are a couple pics of my arm. Look at the aweful position it's in. No knitting for another week or so.:waah:
Poor Kelly! http://bestsmileys.com/comfort/2.gif

Howdovely
09-22-2008, 09:06 PM
Hello all! Just a quick note to say I finished the first section of the Summer Olympics blanket! Yay! This blanket took a train trip this past weekend too! That's when I finished it up. This blankie has seen a lot of NC! It went to Asheville last weekend, then Raleigh this past weekend. hee hee

I can't find my link to the blog so I'm not sure whose next. Just let me know and I"ll get it in the mail asap!

misha rf
09-22-2008, 10:08 PM
Awww...Kelly. That's just no fun. :hug:

MAmaDawn
09-22-2008, 10:32 PM
Kelly I'm still praying...

For the colleges why don't we start with Navy since the hospital is so close to Norfolk? And then just do which ever ones you guys want to after that.

I pm the next knitters about all the blankets that have been completed. Can't wait to see Summer Olympics.

Autumn Leaves is has another section done. Iheartmystash at Rav finished her section.... it's up on her project page.
http://www.ravelry.com/projects/iheartmystash

Great work everyone!

nephthys8
09-23-2008, 09:27 AM
The fall-inspired blanket and butterfly kisses both look wonderful!

Kelly, I am curious, are you a lefty? Also, what kind of pain killers did they give you? Do you think they are working, or making things more difficult?

lizardknits
09-23-2008, 10:34 AM
thanks
i figured you would like to see it befor you get to meet it :teehee:
what color are you thinking about adding, Kelly?

lizardknits
09-23-2008, 10:35 AM
:pray: :pray: :pray: for Kelly !!!!!

blkirback
09-23-2008, 11:40 AM
Kelly, I'm still praying for a quick recovery for you. Atleast you are feeling a little bit better, and pretty soon you will be all back to normal.

MamaDawn, I saw that we still need one more knitter on Chocolate Mint. If you can't find anyone since I am next on it I could just knit two sections, I don't have a problem with it if no one else does.

I think the idea for Navy is a good choice. I can't wait to see a picture of Summer Olympics, I like seeing what everyone does with the blankets (I'm getting excited about getting to work on one soon!:woot: )

kellybigeyes
09-23-2008, 11:44 AM
thanks
i figured you would like to see it befor you get to meet it :teehee:
what color are you thinking about adding, Kelly?

I was thinking about a light pink or purple.

Kelly, I am curious, are you a lefty? Also, what kind of pain killers did they give you? Do you think they are working, or making things more difficult?

No, thank goodness. I am a righty. I have went through 3 different pain pills. The first ones took the pain away, but made me sick... the second ones didn't work as well... the third ones work but make me feel funny. So I am now taking the first ones again, but only half.

Shandeh
09-23-2008, 03:04 PM
Last night, I did a lot of work on the "Go USA" blanket. I finished both stars, and the "SA" at the end of the letters.

I'll post photos tonight. :)

blkirback
09-23-2008, 03:18 PM
I can't wait to see pictures!!!

nephthys8
09-23-2008, 05:16 PM
Blech! That's what happened to me when I broke my legs (long story). I went through a couple of different kinds of pain killers before we found the best one for me. They still gave me funky/trippy dreams, though! :)

Howdovely
09-23-2008, 08:02 PM
Here's a pic of Summer Olympics. Sorry it's nothing much to look at - if I dared to try a pattern, I'm afraid it would never get passed my section of knitting......... I love the color tho.

It will be getting mailed to LBECK tomorrow!

Shandeh
09-23-2008, 10:31 PM
OK, here are the photos I promised! :)

To make my life easier, I viewed the chart on my computer screen, GREATLY ENLARGED....:wink:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3172/2884121828_04a256663f.jpg

And here is the beginning of the first star, with the blue part complete. I'm doing the red center:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3241/2884121182_24dc40d38e.jpg

And here's the first star!
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3017/2884120638_54ec2d19b3.jpg

Two stars:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3197/2883283315_2821f2989e.jpg

And the last two letters of USA.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3070/2883282765_573a501de2.jpg

Tonight and tomorrow, I will do the "Go U...." :teehee:

blkirback
09-24-2008, 12:06 AM
That looks so good! You have done a wonderful job on it. I can't believe how good it looks, I should though I'm sure you have a lot of experience with doing that.:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Summer Olympics looks good too, don't worry I will probably be afraid to try a pattern too.

Shandeh
09-24-2008, 12:26 AM
I can't believe how good it looks, I should though I'm sure you have a lot of experience with doing that.
Not really...I've only done duplicate stitch once before on a Christmas stocking. (I was afraid to try Fair Isle or Intarsia) :shock:
But, I've done LOTS of embroidery and cross-stitch, so I guess that experience counts for something. :thumbsup:

Thanks so much for the compliment! :)

Don't be afraid to try something new! I think our oddball projects are the perfect opportunity to try new things, since they are a small project in comparison to a sweater or afghan.

blkirback
09-24-2008, 10:06 AM
Not really...I've only done duplicate stitch once before on a Christmas stocking. (I was afraid to try Fair Isle or Intarsia) :shock:
But, I've done LOTS of embroidery and cross-stitch, so I guess that experience counts for something. :thumbsup:

Thanks so much for the compliment! :)

Don't be afraid to try something new! I think our oddball projects are the perfect opportunity to try new things, since they are a small project in comparison to a sweater or afghan.

I don't have any experience doing any of it really, I've done maybe 2 cross stitching things in my entire life and they both turned out messed up.

You're welcome.

I just don't want to mess up on them. I'm a worry wart aboout thoes kind of things. I'm trying not to worry so much so that I can try and learn new things. I figured out how to make socks and that was a major accomplishment for me, I even enjoyed making them which was a suprise to me.

HollyP
09-24-2008, 10:39 AM
Brenda - that looks great! Thanks for starting it for us and for the idea!!!

Sandy- all I can say is WOW!:notworthy: I can't wait to see it finished!

Shandeh
09-24-2008, 03:04 PM
Thanks Holly! :hug:
........I figured out how to make socks and that was a major accomplishment for me, I even enjoyed making them which was a suprise to me.
Congratulations! Socks are a great accomplishment. :)

lizardknits
09-24-2008, 06:41 PM
thanks for the well wishes guys :hug:
update- I have made a doctors appointment for Friday afternoon this week. I will keep you guys posted.

blkirback
09-24-2008, 06:55 PM
Lizardknits- I hope that everything goes good at your dr. appt.

Well, I just got off the phone a little while ago with my dbf and have had a pretty crappy day. I had to fax the registration for the truck to him and he wouldn't tell me why, then he calls me back and says "Well, I had a little accident but I'm alright" (thank god). He's doing storm clean up and has been hauling a trailer full of debris to the dump for 2 weeks now and I've been worried something like this would happen. So, I decided to call him back to see how bad the accident really was and he told me. There is a road that has 7 lanes of traffic (2 on each side are straight through lanes, two are left hand turn lanes, and one is a right turn lane) and he was turning left on a green light when some guy in the right turn lane plowed into the back half of the truck at 45 mph. So now the rear axle is pushed forward and twisted some, the bumper is messed up, and the bed of the truck is too. But he wasn't hurt so I should be happy right? Too bad that he is the one who got the ticket for careless driving and not the guy who hit him. Sorry about this I guess I just needed someone to vent to, if you guys could just please keep him in your prayers I know this is not what he needs right now on top of everything else that has been going on. Thanks.

kellybigeyes
09-24-2008, 09:41 PM
Lizardknits- Good Luck... I hope all goes well. Have you mailed the blanket yet? I am in no hurry, I just was curious, so I could be looking for it. Don't forget to get delivery confirmation.

Sandy... the blanket is BEAUTIFUL!!! I would love to know how to do that.

Shandeh
09-24-2008, 10:54 PM
Lizardknits, keep us updated. :heart:
blkirback, so sorry about your hubby! :pout:

Sandy... the blanket is BEAUTIFUL!!! I would love to know how to do that.
Thanks! I just figured it out myself, so I'm a beginner on the technique. :teehee:
I used a little booklet to help out that's called "A Beginner's Guide to Duplicate Stitch". And I bet you can find some guides online as well.

lizardknits
09-25-2008, 12:54 PM
thanks for the well wishes
I have not actually mailed it yet (sorry)
How is your wrist doing? What has the doc said about knitting?

Shandeh
09-25-2008, 03:08 PM
This morning, I finished my work on the "Go USA" blanket! :)
Who's next?
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3286/2888344464_ba6f0efdfe.jpg

nephthys8
09-25-2008, 04:13 PM
Who's next?

It looks FANTASTIC!! :cheering: :woohoo: :thumbsup:

blkirback
09-25-2008, 04:19 PM
That looks so good!:notworthy: I'm going to have to try that one day just to see if I can do it.

misha rf
09-25-2008, 05:06 PM
Autumn Leaves is here! It's lovely!!

And iheartmystash made me some gorgeous stitch markers!! :inlove: I really needed a pick-me-up today, and that worked!

I really need to find the camera cord...

Sandy, that looks fantastic!

Lizardknits, I hope your appointment goes well.

blkirback, I'm sorry about your truck, but I'm glad he's ok.

:grphug:

kayrun
09-25-2008, 06:58 PM
It looks FANTASTIC!! :cheering: :woohoo: :thumbsup:

I agree!
That is amazing!!
Karen G
in GA

Howdovely
09-25-2008, 07:39 PM
Who's next?
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3286/2888344464_ba6f0efdfe.jpg

I Love it!! Great job Sandy!!

Shandeh
09-25-2008, 09:59 PM
Thank you all! It was really a lot of fun to do. :)

HollyP
09-25-2008, 11:19 PM
Blkirback- I'm so glad to hear that hubby is ok!

Elizabeth - I hope you appt goes well and that they can find some answers!

Misha - I hope you find that cord! Mine was missing for a week and I found it plugged into the computer:doh:

Sandy that is awesome! :yay: I absolutely love it!

eta- I am going to say a prayer tonight for our little group! It seems we have had more than our share of bad lately. We really need some good things to happen!

LBECK
09-26-2008, 08:01 AM
Hey all,

I haven't had a chance to get on the pc much this past week. We have a fair going here (been workin that) and overtime at work. So I just haven't had much time left after all that and knitting on the blankets and a backpack for neices birthday in Oct. Oh, and having grandson on the weekend and working on remodeling our guest bathroom. Doing it ourselves. Whew!

"Go USA" is AWSOME, Sandy. I love it.

Blkirback - I hope all is well with dbf and sorry to hear about the accident.

Lizardknits - I hope you get some good news at your appt.

I will be sending out Chocolate mint today - sorry it took so long I have just not had the time to get to the PO.

Wishing good thoughts for everyone.

GennyLynn1962
09-26-2008, 08:06 AM
There has been a lot going on with our group lately! I hope everybody is doing ok.
DD2 (18) informed us a few days ago that she is moving out and getting an apartment with her boyfriend (also 18). :cry: It is tearing me up inside, and I don't know what to do. I guess there's really nothing I can do.
Anyway..I hope everybody gets back on track soon!

Shandeh
09-26-2008, 09:26 AM
:heart: :pray: :heart: Genny:heart: :pray: :heart:

blkirback
09-26-2008, 09:36 AM
Genny, I hope that everything works out for you.

Thank you to everyone who has had wonderful words to say about the accident. Now we are just waiting on the insurance adjuster to tell us if it is totaled or not, the fame maybe twisted so it could be totaled. :shrug: We still don't have a vehicle to drive until they get all of this figured out or until Monday when his boss will send us a vehicle:???:. But he is okay and that's all that matters, the truck can be replaced he can't be.

nephthys8
09-26-2008, 09:41 AM
But he is okay and that's all that matters, the truck can be replaced he can't be.

Exactly. That's what matters! :) :heart:

MAmaDawn
09-26-2008, 09:49 AM
Sorry I haven't been on posting here much... it's been crazy with school this week, dd has decided that it's a good idea to play around instead of doing her work and we've gotten behind, but we're caught up now and her attitude has seemed to change. I'm praying for everyone, too... I've got another cold... hoping this one go away soon... going to make soup for dinner tonight.

Going to pm the next knitter Sandy... it looks amazing! Did I miss any blankets? Are there any that are ready to move on and you don't have the next knitter's address?

blkirback, glad he's ok... that is the important part... that's crazy that he got the ticket!

GennyLynn, praying for you and your family

Elizabeth, praying for you appt and your leg

Kelly still praying for you, how are you feeling?

nephthys8
09-26-2008, 10:23 AM
Genny, look at it this way: it could be worse--she could be moving in with her 40 y.o. BF. Sadly, I watched some of my friends do that a few years ago and it even made ME sick. Stay strong and count the small blessings.

GennyLynn1962
09-26-2008, 01:18 PM
Eww, I'm really couldn't handle that!
I'm trying to be positive, and tell myself it will all work out, but it's hard to do.
I will have an 'extra' room to make into a craft/guest room.:shrug: See I am trying.

Shandeh
09-26-2008, 04:25 PM
Hang in there, Genny :hug:

We've missed you Dawn!:heart:

blkirback
09-26-2008, 04:39 PM
Genny, look at it this way: it could be worse--she could be moving in with her 40 y.o. BF. Sadly, I watched some of my friends do that a few years ago and it even made ME sick. Stay strong and count the small blessings.

I have a friend who did something like that. I was the one in the group who thought that 18 was the right age to get married and had to learn the hard way that it wasn't. So atleast she isn't doing either of thoes things.

Shandeh
09-26-2008, 04:51 PM
I got married at 19 to a guy who just recently divorced his first wife. :roll: I know....I was an absolute idiot. The "marriage" lasted about 2 years.

Thank GOD I finally grew up. :teehee:

blkirback
09-26-2008, 05:33 PM
Well, I filed for a divorce about 8 months after we got married but he had already drained my bank account and put me in debt. But I learned a lot from the situation and I think it made me a better person.

Just got off the phone a little while ago with the insurance adjuster, the truck it totaled. We owe about 20 thousand on it and they are willing to give us whatever the truck it actually worth (which isn't what we owe :waah:) and now we are fighting to get the brand new engine that we put in covered under it, that will take 5,000 off of the price. So hopefully we will be able to get that taken off of the price. Gah, now we have to find a new truck :hair:!!!!!

Shandeh
09-26-2008, 06:22 PM
Bummer! Rotten news, my friend! :pout:

blkirback
09-26-2008, 06:40 PM
They have payed the truck off completly!!!!!!!!!:woot: :woot: :woot: PLUS SOME! And that is with even charging $1,300 to buy the truck back, my boyfriend loves that truck SO much. So he is going to rebuild the back half of it and drive it. I couldn't believe though when they told us how much they were going to give us for it, I thought for sure we would still be making $700 dollar truck payments for a while. I guess now this means I can get my car!:cheering: :woohoo:

HollyP
09-26-2008, 11:38 PM
:hug: Hang in there Genny! 18 is such a hard age on parents and kids. I remember being 18(only 11years ago so it wasn't that long ago although at times it feels like it!) and thinking I knew everything. Continue to focus on the positive and know we are all here for you!!

That's great news Brandi!! :woot: Have fun car shopping!

:waving:Dawn good to see you back! It's not the same without you!!

GennyLynn1962
09-27-2008, 10:59 AM
Great news on the truck! :woot: :woot: :woot: I'm glad it worked out for you!

I got married when I was 18 too, still married to the same guy (27 years). I wasn't as smart as I thought I was at 18 either. I could have done soooo much more if I would have just waited a couple of years.
I'm trying to deal with the DD situation as best as I can. It's good to 'talk' to you all about it, that helps a lot! I really just want to feel good again.

Shandeh
09-27-2008, 10:43 PM
So glad the truck is resolved! :thumbsup:

lizardknits
09-28-2008, 12:41 AM
:pout: Hi guys
sorry I havent been on in a while
I missed my appt. on Friday, but I rescheduled for Monday morning (thats the good news)
the bad news is, my leg started hurting again
not as bad, but still hurting

:zombie: this is me right now
g2g back to sleep soon, I woke up yesterday with a severe headache, took some tylenol at like 8 pm, its gone down to being mild to moderate
ttyl
Elizabeth

MAmaDawn
09-28-2008, 07:14 AM
blkirback.... Glad to hear that everything is taken care with the truck

Elizabeth.... Sorry you missed you appt, but I'm glad you could reschedule it....

GennyLynn... sounds like you are doing all you can do. I didn't marry at 18, I was 21, a lot thought that was young too...

Shandeh
09-29-2008, 01:56 AM
I think it's cool that we are all getting to know each other well in our region. :hug:

When we were in the BIG group, there were too many of us to really keep up with everyone. I like this way better. cloud9

kellybigeyes
09-29-2008, 09:27 AM
Me too!!

blkirback
09-29-2008, 09:54 AM
I don't know what it was like before but I really like this. I like having something to look forward to every morning when I get up, talking to all of you.

HollyP
09-29-2008, 10:17 AM
:grphug: I love it too! The plan to split into regions works on so many levels it's amazing!!:woot:

nephthys8
09-29-2008, 10:26 AM
Yeah, I wasn't around before they split this up into regions, but I like knowing that the other people working on these with me live nearby, as opposed to, say, in California. It's kind of neat! :)

LBECK
09-29-2008, 01:22 PM
I sent chocolate mint out just a while ago. I couldn't get to the PO on Friday sorry. The confirmation number is 03080730000040457751. On it's way to GennyLynn1962.

I feel for you on the DD moving out at 18. I married at 18 and am still married to the same guy, almost 23 years, but they are not all that lucky. I will be thinking of you and your family. My son of 22 married his girlfriend of 17 in January and now they have a beautiful baby boy. I pray for them every day. It is so hard to make it out there these days much less with a lot of stress to complicate everything.

LBECK
09-29-2008, 01:26 PM
I almost forgot to tell you all that I have entered lots of things in the Delta fair here in Missouri. (I live in AR just across the border from MO) Anyway I won a ribbon for everything I entered. My Knitted dishcloth (one I did during the Olympics) got first place and Best of Show in the Knitting Division. I will post pics later DD has my adapter to the camera. Or if I get time I will post them on Flickr and add them here.

Did I post a pic of Chocolate Mint? If not, please let me know because I have one online that I can post to here.

blkirback
09-29-2008, 03:21 PM
I almost forgot to tell you all that I have entered lots of things in the Delta fair here in Missouri. (I live in AR just across the border from MO) Anyway I won a ribbon for everything I entered. My Knitted dishcloth (one I did during the Olympics) got first place and Best of Show in the Knitting Division. I will post pics later DD has my adapter to the camera. Or if I get time I will post them on Flickr and add them here.

Did I post a pic of Chocolate Mint? If not, please let me know because I have one online that I can post to here.

Way to go, that is awesome. :thumbsup:

HollyP
09-29-2008, 05:43 PM
That's great Lisa! :yay:The fair here is almost an hour away so I have never entered anything.
You did post a picture of chocolate mint. I have it on the blog.

misha rf
09-29-2008, 10:01 PM
Autumn Leaves is done! Who's next??

Shandeh
09-29-2008, 10:07 PM
Congratulations, Lisa! http://bestsmileys.com/tropheys/4.gif

I think it would be cool if we could plan a get-together for our region sometime. We would probably need to plan about 6 months in advance or something, and try to find some place central to us all.

lizardknits
09-30-2008, 12:47 AM
ok guys
update
I saw the doc today
I had a bunch of blood drawn (three or for tubes)
I got my electrolyte levels tested
and i will be following up in 10 days
i listed my cell as the number to call with results
so :pray:

MAmaDawn
09-30-2008, 07:46 AM
I think it's cool that we are all getting to know each other well in our region. :hug:

When we were in the BIG group, there were too many of us to really keep up with everyone. I like this way better. cloud9

Congratulations, Lisa! http://bestsmileys.com/tropheys/4.gif

I think it would be cool if we could plan a get-together for our region sometime. We would probably need to plan about 6 months in advance or something, and try to find some place central to us all.

I really like it this way too! That's a wonderful idea! And i agree we need to plan it way out.

That is wonderful! Congrats! I've never entered mine in a fair... though I might enter the Pi Shawl I'm making for Tori for Christmas... love it, it's a Christmas Pi Shawl....

Autumn Leaves is done! Who's next??

I've pmed the next knitter to make sure she's ready.

ok guys
update
I saw the doc today
I had a bunch of blood drawn (three or for tubes)
I got my electrolyte levels tested
and i will be following up in 10 days
i listed my cell as the number to call with results
so :pray:

Praying that they find what's causing the problem and that it's something easily taken care of...

I love how the blankets are coming together! It's wonderful!

HollyP
09-30-2008, 10:11 AM
That would be cool!! I'd love to meet you all in real life! Where would be a central location in our region?

Elizabeth, still praying for you!

Misha, you knit at a lightning speed on that one! Can't wait to see it!

Kelly, hope you are hanging in there! Only a few more days with the cast right?

blkirback
09-30-2008, 10:42 AM
I think that is a great idea. I would love to get to meet all of you in person.

misha rf
09-30-2008, 12:54 PM
I found the camera cord. It was buried underneath a pile of random knitting stuff on the table right next to me. :doh:

Here's a shot of Autumn Leaves, a detail of my section (it's in crossed stockinette, with garter on the ends & middle) and a shot of the stitch markers iheartmystash so kindly made and sent to me. I still haven't figured out how to get really nice closeups with this camera.

Oh, and I'd love a meet-up! That would be awesome!

LBeck, congrats on your ribbons!! That is so cool!!

Lizardknits, I hope whatever it is, it's easily fixable & they get your results SOON.

lizardknits
09-30-2008, 01:35 PM
i :heart: autumn leaves!!!!
also a related note, Butterfly Kisses will be sent out today (within the next hour) !!!!
watch for it in the mail, Kelly

lizardknits
09-30-2008, 02:26 PM
Butterfly Kisses is fluttering off to Kelly :teehee:
I just got back from the mail center. It is in a large priority mail envelope.
It will go out at 4 pm eastern time :woohoo: :cheering: :happydance: :woot: !!!!!!
Confirmation number is- 0305 2710 0002 1906 4127
:grphug:
Elizabeth

HollyP
09-30-2008, 03:38 PM
Misha that looks great! Thanks for the picture and I 'm glad you found your cord. They always show up in the weirdest places don't they!

Shandeh
09-30-2008, 10:39 PM
I really like it this way too! That's a wonderful idea! And i agree we need to plan it way out.
That would be cool!! I'd love to meet you all in real life! Where would be a central location in our region?
I think that is a great idea. I would love to get to meet all of you in person.
Oh, and I'd love a meet-up! That would be awesome!
I'm glad you're all interested in getting together!
I'm REALLY geographically challenged, so one of you can figure out a midpoint for us.

The Southeast Region includes: Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, & West Virginia

I think it would be cool if we could find a fiber fair or something where we could meet.

HollyP
09-30-2008, 10:58 PM
I'm pretty geographically challenged too! Tomtom is a life saver for me! I really need the nice machine to tell me to turn left here.:teehee:
You know what might help us find a central location is if everyone says where they are from( of course if you don't feel comfortable that's fine). I am pretty sure not all the states in our region are represented right now.

I am in Southeastern VA.

blkirback
09-30-2008, 11:22 PM
I'm pretty geographically challenged too! Tomtom is a life saver for me! I really need the nice machine to tell me to turn left here.:teehee:
You know what might help us find a central location is if everyone says where they are from( of course if you don't feel comfortable that's fine). I am pretty sure not all the states in our region are represented right now.

I am in Southeastern VA.

We have a Garmin and I hate the thing! It's always telling us wrong directions and wrong turns. I'm always threating to throw the thing out the window while we are driving but it has helped some I guess.

I'm in New Orleans, Louisiana. I don't know if it is exactly in the middle or not ( I suck at geography ) but wouldn't Tennessee be some where near the central location? I could be way off on that but I thought that would be close to it. I know for me it takes about 7 hours to get to Tenn. but I don't know about from any where else.

Shandeh
10-01-2008, 01:10 AM
Well, if you look at the US Map, it looks like Alabama is the center, but Georgia and Tennessee are close to the center as well.

I'm just really bad at knowing what cities are where without studying a map very closely. Maybe I should get out my old Road Atlas. It's easier than Google maps, because I can see the whole state on a HUGE page. :)

LBECK
10-01-2008, 07:23 AM
When I looked at the US map it looks like somewhere around Fayetteville TN or Chattanooga TN would be right in the middle. I don't know if they have fiber fairs near those places but that is just what I can tell.

GennyLynn1962
10-01-2008, 08:02 AM
YAY! I'll be watching the mail!

You sound a lot like me, I was married at 18 too, and we are still married (at least at this point). It's never easy and of course DD really doesn't know what she's getting herself into.
I'm trying to deal with it, I still feel like I've been beaten up. But it helps soooo much to talk to you all about it.

MAmaDawn
10-01-2008, 08:02 AM
I'm fine with where ever... Just so long as I can knit while I'm there..... :teehee::knitting:

MAmaDawn
10-01-2008, 08:11 AM
Sorry forgot to say where I am at... I'm in Stafford VA, it's north of Fredericksburg and south of Northern VA....

But when we meet up I will (hopefully) be in West VA... Hopefully we have found a house by then.... It's in the panhandle of West VA, right near the VA border...

Looking over at Tori School map I was thinking the North Carolina, Tennessee, Georgia border looks like the middle, but I don't know what there...

Oh and about the TomTom commericals... yes dh says "DawnDawn" where do I turn.. it was funny the first few times...

Are you guys thinking of your whole family coming? I was just thinking that I can plan something for school where ever we go.

lizardknits
10-01-2008, 09:10 AM
im in north carolina
either greensboro or charlotte
I live in greensboro for school most of the year, but my permanent address and my doctors are in charlotte

blkirback
10-01-2008, 10:02 AM
I know for me it would probably be just me. My boyfriend hardly ever gets time off of work but maybe if it was far enough in advance we could try for both of us, he wouldn't probably want to go though. I just know it's hard for him to even get time off of work for Christmas so that we can go back to our home state (we're both originaly from Michigan), his boss believes in working and I think that is about it. But I personally don't care if everyone else wanted to make it a family thing, that would be fine with me.

Howdovely
10-01-2008, 01:11 PM
Looking over at Tori School map I was thinking the North Carolina, Tennessee, Georgia border looks like the middle, but I don't know what there...

I have two ideas! I am at work, and my brain stopped working already today, so if i'm way off (yes geographically challenged also, and haven't looked at the map) please forgive me.

If this NC/TN/GA is the general central location, there are two things off the top of my head:

Lake Lure, NC. Randall and I have been checking out The Lake Lure Inn and Spa (yes, I said SPA!) for our wedding. www.lakelure.com (http://www.lakelure.com) Parts of Dirty Dancing were filmed there and the place is just georgeous. Plenty of different types of rooms to rent - cabins too. Off season seems to be December to March.

Also, in the TN mountains - outside Gaitlainburg I think - I looked into big houses/villas type things to rent that had anywhere from like 6 bedrooms, to 16 bedrooms. Pretty cool! Here's one link, but I'm sure there are TONS to choose from.
http://www.mountainchalets.com/Rentals/FivePlusBedrooms.aspx
I don't know when the off season would be in TN, but probably after Peak Leaf - probably in the Winter. I have no idea the cost, but one I looked at quickly was like $500/night for 7 bedrooms. Split that between a bunch of us and we could do it fairly cheaply. Full kitchens too, so better then a hotel room and have to eat out all meals.

OK, now my brain hurts. HAHA!

blkirback
10-01-2008, 03:02 PM
I looked around too and found one place that is in Alabama at Joe Wheeler State Park. http://www.alapark.com/JoeWheeler/GroupLodge/

It has a group facility that has 13 bedrooms and is only $350 for one night or $300 a night for 3 nights. The link shows some pictures. I don't know if anyone would be interested in this place but it looks like it wouldn't be bad, plus it's cheap.

It's not too far off of Interstate 65 in AL. which looked close to the center of the locations. I don't know, I was bored and started looking around.:shrug:

Shandeh
10-02-2008, 01:16 AM
Great ideas everyone!
I went to Gatlinburg, TN once, and really enjoyed it because everything was within walking distance on the street. (Of course, that was back when my knee didn't bother me so much.)

I'm open to whatever the rest of you want to do, because I VERY RARELY travel. I prefer to spend my money on yarn!
:roflhard:

Howdovely
10-02-2008, 07:19 AM
Haha! Yeah, money is better spent on Yarn.

Well, if everyone keeps it in the back of their mind and posts ideas - then maybe we can figure something out and put it all together soon. It would be FUN!

LBECK
10-02-2008, 08:01 AM
I looked on the site that Brenda posted in Gatlinburg, TN and found a 6 bedroom for like 150.00 per night for up to 2 adults but was only 15.00 extra per person over that. That is really cheap.

MAmaDawn
10-02-2008, 09:39 AM
It's exciting looking at all these places and thinking about meeting everyone...

nephthys8
10-02-2008, 10:02 AM
Hey everyone, sorry I am a little late to the meet-up party! I think it is a great idea, though.

I'm in Fairfax, VA which is just a little farther north from MamaDawn, so I am good with whatever everyone decides. For me, it is really just going to be about whether or not I can afford it... but, hopefully, in 6 months, I will be able to.

I have credit card debt right now :cry: but my goal is to get that paid off by February 2009. I have stopped eating out all of the time (a really bad habit to get into!!) and it has helped a LOT. I have also been getting some overtime at work (we've been busy, so that's why I'm behind on checking in here, too), so the money is coming in pretty good right now. :cheering:

It isn't excatly central, but I thought I'd just toss out the idea of going to Biltmore Estate in Asheville, NC as well. We were talking about it so much the other week, that I thought everyone might want to do something like that where we pick a destination. Just a thought. :)

Howdovely
10-02-2008, 01:49 PM
It isn't excatly central, but I thought I'd just toss out the idea of going to Biltmore Estate in Asheville, NC as well. We were talking about it so much the other week, that I thought everyone might want to do something like that where we pick a destination. Just a thought. :)

LOVE Biltmore! Going again soon! It is about 30 miles from Lake Lure, NC (the other idea posted) but I think it took us about an hour to get to it from there. The road is really windy, but a beautiful ride.

GennyLynn1962
10-02-2008, 03:49 PM
I received "Chocolate Mint" today! :cheering:

LBECK- Your section is beautiful. :inlove: I don't know if I can do it justice. Thanks for the stick-on notes and flags, you have perfect timing! I looked all over the place today for post-a-notes to mark my row on a pattern I was working on, I was completely out of them. The one's you sent are much prettier too. :teehee:

kellybigeyes
10-02-2008, 09:58 PM
Butterfly Kisses fluttered into TN today. It is LOVELY!! I can't wait to work on it!!

lizardknits
10-03-2008, 12:50 AM
thx
im glad you like it
:heart: :hug: :heart:

LBECK
10-03-2008, 07:09 AM
I am glad that you liked the chocolate mint. I get tired of doing the same pattern so I just try to mix it up sometimes. I bought a new book at HL that has 50 patterns stitches in it and I used one on the green. I think I made a mistake in it some where in the beginning because it didn't look exactly like the pic but I couldn't figure out what I did wrong. So I left it as is.

BTW: I received Summer Olympics on Wednesday. Sorry I forgot to post. Thank you, for reminding me. I am on the hunt for a pattern and yarn so that I can begin work on it.

My backpack will be done today and I will post pics as soon as I can but probably not until Monday unless I get access to fast internet before then. I refuse to get online at home (dial up) unless I have to. lol

MAmaDawn
10-03-2008, 07:26 AM
It's great to see so many blankets on the move, looking forward to seeing each of them after your new sections are added! :cheering:

Shandeh
10-03-2008, 08:28 AM
Well, if everyone keeps it in the back of their mind and posts ideas - then maybe we can figure something out and put it all together soon. It would be FUN!
I looked on the site that Brenda posted in Gatlinburg, TN and found a 6 bedroom for like 150.00 per night for up to 2 adults but was only 15.00 extra per person over that. That is really cheap.
It's exciting looking at all these places and thinking about meeting everyone...
Hey everyone, sorry I am a little late to the meet-up party! I think it is a great idea, though........It isn't excatly central, but I thought I'd just toss out the idea of going to Biltmore Estate in Asheville, NC as well.
LOVE Biltmore! Going again soon! It is about 30 miles from Lake Lure, NC (the other idea posted) but I think it took us about an hour to get to it from there. The road is really windy, but a beautiful ride.
Glad to see that everyone is interested in getting together. Maybe we should look at something in the Spring? I think it would be good if we could do something inexpensive, so that everyone can participate. I would love to go to Biltmore, but it is quite costly just to get in the door there. (almost 50 bucks a person!) But, we do have several months to save up. :think:

lizardknits
10-03-2008, 09:30 AM
update on me
the results are in
everything came back normal, except my iron (which doesn't surprise me, cuz i go between being iron deficient and being unoficcially iron deficient)
so, still no known cause :pout:

nephthys8
10-03-2008, 10:10 AM
Glad to see that everyone is interested in getting together. Maybe we should look at something in the Spring? I think it would be good if we could do something inexpensive, so that everyone can participate. I would love to go to Biltmore, but it is quite costly just to get in the door there. (almost 50 bucks a person!) But, we do have several months to save up. :think:

I'm really up for anything. My favorite thing to do, though, is to go somewhere that I have never been before. So, while I know that Biltmore is beautiful and everything, I am totally up for somewhere else--especially in TN, which is a state I have not gotten to visit yet!

Howdovely
10-03-2008, 02:45 PM
I'm really up for anything. My favorite thing to do, though, is to go somewhere that I have never been before. So, while I know that Biltmore is beautiful and everything, I am totally up for somewhere else--especially in TN, which is a state I have not gotten to visit yet!

Haha! It's funny you said that because I was thinking the exact same thing. I've never been to TN either, but have done both Biltmore and Lake Lure.

Again, WHATEVER we decide will be a blast! If we do it before Memorial Day, I wonder if that will keep costs down also? I know I have difficulties with not being able to take time off in March and April, but I'm sure I could work SOMETHING out. I'm really just stuck to this area the actual two weekends of Market.

Shandeh
10-03-2008, 06:00 PM
lizardknits, I'm glad you're okay. Hopefully, you'll figure out what's causing your problems. :heart:

About our trip, I'm open to anything too, as long as I can afford it! :teehee: We have LOTS of time between now and then, so I'm sure we'll figure out something fun. :thumbsup:

kellybigeyes
10-03-2008, 11:18 PM
I got my cast off today!! :woohoo: I am still in quite a bit of pain, since my wrist was immobile for 2 1/2 weeks. I have to be in a wrist splint for 4 more weeks. However, I can take it off at certain times. I have to do a little physical therepy myself here at home, just to get everything working like it should again. Maybe knitting can count as some of my therapy!!:teehee: Hopefully, I will be good as new soon. I will post a few pictures in the next couple days for you all to see what it looks like. I will still have to be very careful for the next week or so. He said that I should be able to tell a big difference in my wrist strength in about a week.

I love the idea of a trip. I live in TN. We love to go to Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge. Nashville is wonderful too. I can't wait to hear more ideas. If I think of anything, I'll be sure to post it.

Thanks so much for all of your prayers. :muah:

blkirback
10-03-2008, 11:26 PM
I got my cast off today!! :woohoo: I am still in quite a bit of pain, since my wrist was immobile for 2 1/2 weeks. I have to be in a wrist splint for 4 more weeks. However, I can take it off at certain times. I have to do a little physical therepy myself here at home, just to get everything working like it should again. Maybe knitting can count as some of my therapy!!:teehee: Hopefully, I will be good as new soon. I will post a few pictures in the next couple days for you all to see what it looks like. I will still have to be very careful for the next week or so. He said that I should be able to tell a big difference in my wrist strength in about a week.

I love the idea of a trip. I live in TN. We love to go to Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge. Nashville is wonderful too. I can't wait to hear more ideas. If I think of anything, I'll be sure to post it.

So glad to hear that you are doing better.:cheering:

Howdovely
10-04-2008, 08:30 AM

Glad you are feeling better!!!!

HollyP
10-04-2008, 09:11 AM
:woohoo:Kelly!!! I am so happy to hear you are feeling better. I'm sure in no time your wrist will be better than ever!

Shandeh
10-04-2008, 06:03 PM
Great news, Kelly! :cheering:

blkirback
10-04-2008, 08:11 PM
Autumn Leaves arrived today!!! I can't wait to start working on it, probably tomorrow. Thank you so much for the sock yarn! I can't wait to make some socks for myself :woohoo: :woot: :muah: :hug: !

misha rf
10-05-2008, 10:47 AM
You're welcome--enjoy the yarn! (I hadn't thought about using it for socks!)

Sandy, Go USA arrived! Thank you for the yarn! It's soooo soft & pretty!

Kelly, I'm glad you got your cast off!

And just how many sentences can I end with exclamation points?! :rofl:

Shandeh
10-05-2008, 04:25 PM
Yay! I'm glad you like the yarn. It's been sitting in my craft room for WAY too long. It's your turn to fondle it and figure out what to make. :hug:

MAmaDawn
10-06-2008, 12:25 PM
Cookies and Cream is ready to head to Shandeh's house... it will go out in the mail tomorrow.. I'll post pic later, I took them already... I finished a baby hat so I have to get that up on rav and here too...

Shandeh
10-06-2008, 02:25 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing it!
Brown is one of my favorite colors. cloud9

Moxiemade
10-07-2008, 01:59 PM
I want to apologize to everyone here. M&M's is finally ready to go, and I'm so very sorry it took me so long. I hate to have excuses but I went from a full time stay-at-home mom to a full time working mom unexpectedly. And then I got shuffled from one county to another. I have had no more than an hour or two to myself each day and that's just been keeping the house picked up. I should have just pm'ed someone and sent the blanket to the next person without my section finished but I kept thinking I could finish it. I haven't even done knitting on my own personal things for over a month. I just don't have the time.

Anyway, it's ready. My camera is not here right now but I'll post a picture tonight or tomorrow.

I'm going to politely step back away from the charity knitting until I can be sure to fulfill my obligations in a reasonable time frame. May be a couple weeks may be longer. Probably longer. I really don't see me having the time to knit anything even for myself for at least a month or two. :(

Misha? Are you ready? I can get this in the mail tomorrow.

Sorry again guys.

misha rf
10-07-2008, 02:41 PM
Carmen, you don't need to apologize! Life happens. :muah: Thanks for keeping us updated. :grphug:
I'm ready for it; send it when you can.
I finished Go USA! today--who's next for that one? (I'd look, but I'm on a library computer, and it's s.l.o.w.)

kellybigeyes
10-07-2008, 02:51 PM
GennyLynn is next (according to the blog) for GO USA. Hope this helps!! :thumbsup:

blkirback
10-07-2008, 03:27 PM
Autumn Leaves is finished. So if the next knitter is ready I can hopefully send it out tomorrow or the next day. I can't seem to get my digital camera to work right so maybe when the BF gets home I can have him take a picture with his phone, the camera on is phone is better than the digital one anyway!

MAmaDawn
10-07-2008, 04:29 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing it!
Brown is one of my favorite colors. cloud9

That's great cuz if you follow that pattern already set, the next color is brown. I didn't get it out though, I'm sorry about that I'm going to set pick up right after I'm done posting.

Sorry again guys.

Carmen, it's ok... thank you for letting us know. Suddenly having to work can be stressful! You aren't on another blanket until the 5th knitter in Jellie Bellies... I'm going to start it this weekend. Will that work you think? I can leave you there for now and if it won't either switch you with the last knitter or find someone else. It's completely up to you. I'll pm you Misha rf's addy.

Carmen, you don't need to apologize! Life happens. :muah: Thanks for keeping us updated. :grphug:
I'm ready for it; send it when you can.
I finished Go USA! today--who's next for that one? (I'd look, but I'm on a library computer, and it's s.l.o.w.)

Checking with GennyLynn now. I'm looking forward to seeing it... Thanks for answering about M&M's..

Autumn Leaves is finished. So if the next knitter is ready I can hopefully send it out tomorrow or the next day. I can't seem to get my digital camera to work right so maybe when the BF gets home I can have him take a picture with his phone, the camera on is phone is better than the digital one anyway!

Checking with the next knitter, can't wait to see it.

MAmaDawn
10-07-2008, 08:13 PM
Here is Cookies and Cream...

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e379/MamaDawn/DSCF1866.jpg

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e379/MamaDawn/DSCF1867.jpg

kellybigeyes
10-07-2008, 10:42 PM
I just wanted to let everyone know that I was able to knit 3 rows on Butterfly Kisses tonight!! :woohoo: I am so excited!! That was a big accomplishment considering my condition. However, after 3 rows, I was hurting. I will do my best to work on it everyday.

LBECK
10-08-2008, 07:19 AM
Kelly, that is great. I am so glad that you are better.

Dawn, I am really loving Cookies & Cream it is better than I had imagined it could be.

I have a question about the Summer Olympics blanket. Are we using only garter stitch or is it a free for all on the pattern. I know the colors are set, but I didn't know about the pattern or if we even had discussed that. I looked on the blog and it didn't say either way. I have started the blanket but only have a couple of rows done I will wait for an answer before I go on.

BTW: about the trip in case you all can't tell by my avatar I am in AR, just across the Missouri border. I have never been to Nashville or Gatlinburg either.

Howdovely
10-08-2008, 07:33 AM
I have a question about the Summer Olympics blanket. Are we using only garter stitch or is it a free for all on the pattern. I know the colors are set, but I didn't know about the pattern or if we even had discussed that. I looked on the blog and it didn't say either way. I have started the blanket but only have a couple of rows done I will wait for an answer before I go on.

Good question! No, we never discussed it. I loved the way the Rainbow blanket came out when it was all garter. But I also LOVE seeing all the different stitches. So I vote for either way. What's everyone else think?

MAmaDawn
10-08-2008, 09:56 AM
I just wanted to let everyone know that I was able to knit 3 rows on Butterfly Kisses tonight!! :woohoo: I am so excited!! That was a big accomplishment considering my condition. However, after 3 rows, I was hurting. I will do my best to work on it everyday.

:cheering::happydance: So glad you are able to knit again! Don't push yourself though...

Kelly, that is great. I am so glad that you are better.

Dawn, I am really loving Cookies & Cream it is better than I had imagined it could be.

BTW: about the trip in case you all can't tell by my avatar I am in AR, just across the Missouri border. I have never been to Nashville or Gatlinburg either.

Thank you!

Good question! No, we never discussed it. I loved the way the Rainbow blanket came out when it was all garter. But I also LOVE seeing all the different stitches. So I vote for either way. What's everyone else think?

I like them both ways too... I'm fine with either. Lisa what would you rather do?

Here is a link to Tori's knitting (my dd)
http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84389
Thought you all would like to see it.

nephthys8
10-08-2008, 10:51 AM
I'm fine with either one, but garter stitch might be easier for me to do the crochet boarder on when it is done. Also, time is of the essence for me and my garter stitch goes really fast when I'm really into it. :)

GennyLynn1962
10-08-2008, 11:03 AM
I'm back from our lake trip so I should be able to start on Chocolate Mint today. I didn't want to take it with me to the lake because I just knew if I did goofy me would drop it off of the boat and we would have choco mint at the bottom of the lake.

kellybigeyes
10-08-2008, 04:07 PM
I just realized that Butterfly Kisses does not have a card. Did I just miss it or what? Should I add one and sign everyone's name to it? :shrug:

LBECK
10-08-2008, 05:19 PM
I will just do it in garter because I have waited so long now to do it. I was working so hard to finish my back pack that I forgot to ask about the pattern. That way it will be done by friday or saturday.

Howdovely
10-08-2008, 08:47 PM
I will just do it in garter because I have waited so long now to do it. I was working so hard to finish my back pack that I forgot to ask about the pattern. That way it will be done by friday or saturday.
That will be perfect! I love the way the garter blankets look.

How did your back pack turn out? I haven't braved one yet, but I was eyeballing one not to long ago.

lizardknits
10-08-2008, 11:22 PM
no, you did not miss it. When it got to me, it did not have a card either.

LBECK
10-09-2008, 07:49 AM
How did your back pack turn out? I haven't braved one yet, but I was eyeballing one not to long ago.

It turned out great. She loved it. I will take a picture of her with it soon. She doesn't actually need a backpack so I think she will use it for her overnight bag. Her Mommy said it would be perfect size for that. I do have a couple of pics of it on my camera but I can't transfer them to this pc just yet. The Pc is in my husband's work office and the camera cord is at home. I do have them on my work pc, maybe I will have a little time and load them up on flickr and pull them down here from there.

HollyP
10-09-2008, 08:48 AM
Actually Butterfly Kisses did have a card, I am sure I sent it but will look around. I always keep the card in the bag so as to not misplace it .:??

Kelly- I am so happy for you!

Dawn- Tori is such a cutie! She's doing great. You'd better watch your stash!!:teehee:

I am all for what ever the majority wants on the Summer Olympics blanket. If you want it to be all garter I can put that on the blog just let me know.

blkirback
10-09-2008, 11:31 AM
I'm sorry, I still haven't got a picture of Autumn Leaves or sent it out yet. Things have been a little bit difficult around here for the past 2 days trying to get things done and in order. We have a health inspection today for the store that my bf is trying to get opened up so I maybe able to get it in the mail tomorrow, I'm really going to aim for tomorrow, today is just going to be busy. Sorry again.

kellybigeyes
10-09-2008, 11:39 AM
Actually Butterfly Kisses did have a card, I am sure I sent it but will look around. I always keep the card in the bag so as to not misplace it .:??

Kelly- I am so happy for you!

Thanks so much. Let me know if you find it... or what you would like for me to do.

Shandeh
10-09-2008, 03:56 PM
Maybe Autumn Leaves will arrive here the same time the leaves change in my area! :inlove: THAT would be cool :cool:

LBECK
10-10-2008, 07:14 AM
Okay, here it is the long awaited backpack. I think it turned out pretty good. This is the first thing that I have knitted that wasn't just a flat piece.

GennyLynn1962
10-10-2008, 09:05 AM
Great job on the backpack! It looks great!

blkirback
10-10-2008, 04:24 PM
I remembered reading in Shandeh questionaire that she was interested in NASA, we have a NASA Space Center (I think) about 8 miles away from our house and I had this picture of one of the Shuttles that they have outside of the building so I thought that I would share it with her.

Howdovely
10-10-2008, 04:44 PM
Okay, here it is the long awaited backpack. I think it turned out pretty good. This is the first thing that I have knitted that wasn't just a flat piece.
Oooh! I love it! Love the colors! Did you think it was fairly easy since it was your first non flat piece? I've only made a Booga Bag, but love the backpack idea!

Shandeh
10-10-2008, 06:37 PM
Beautiful! :heart:
I remembered reading in Shandeh questionaire that she was interested in NASA, we have a NASA Space Center (I think) about 8 miles away from our house and I had this picture of one of the Shuttles that they have outside of the building so I thought that I would share it with her.
http://www.myparentconnection.com/forums/images/smilies/jawdrop.gif
I'm sitting here with my mouth wide open....amazed.

If I saw that in person, I would stop the car and stand there for 36 days, staring at that shuttle. It is AWESOME!!!! :inlove:

You know, it reminds me of the first time I saw a buffalo at a ranch in my area. I was flabbergasted by the size of that animal. It took my breath away....literally. I think I had a panic attack when I saw it.
:thud:
I think the same thing would happen to me if I saw a space shuttle on the side of the road like that.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR SHARING THAT PHOTO, blkirback!!!!
:heart: :heart: :heart: :muah: :heart: :heart: :heart:

Shandeh
10-10-2008, 06:43 PM
Today, I received "Cookies & Cream", and it's so pretty!
:inlove:

Dawn, thank you so much for the sock yarn. I love the color!
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3002/2929553989_d8db14da24.jpg

blkirback
10-10-2008, 10:51 PM
You're welcome. I remembered that I had that one today when I was reading all of the questionaires. Maybe if we have some time tomorrow I will stop and take some more pictures. You can see the NASA building when you are driving on the express-way to our house. The building is right behind my favorite factory, Folgers Coffee, and on a really good day you can smell the coffee in the air it's fabulous. I guess that's one nice thing about living in the boondocks of the city, the good smells rather than the other ones in the city.

Howdovely
10-11-2008, 08:16 AM
You're welcome. I remembered that I had that one today when I was reading all of the questionaires. Maybe if we have some time tomorrow I will stop and take some more pictures. You can see the NASA building when you are driving on the express-way to our house. The building is right behind my favorite factory, Folgers Coffee, and on a really good day you can smell the coffee in the air it's fabulous. I guess that's one nice thing about living in the boondocks of the city, the good smells rather than the other ones in the city.

Mmmm....... you just brought back a 'smell' memory. I used to have to drive through Hackettestown, NJ moons and moons ago and I would have to drive past M&M Mars factory............ ooooooh the aroma of chocolate................

GennyLynn1962
10-11-2008, 09:21 AM
Love the picture of the Shuttle. I'm like Shandeh, I'd probably camp by the road if I saw that! Not long ago I drove to a parking lot to watch the international space station go by. :teehee:

Hey Shandeh- "Someday" we need to go to an observatory! Wouldn't that be awesome? Did I tell you a friend got me a telescope for my birthday?
Cookies and Cream looks great! :heart:

GennyLynn1962
10-11-2008, 09:24 AM
I should be able to mail off Chocolate Mint by Monday.

I used Bernet Satin in a light brown, I like the sheen that it has. I'll try to post a picture before I mail it.

MAmaDawn
10-11-2008, 09:27 AM

That looks GREAT! What pattern did you use?

That is amazing! Thanks for sharing it... I used to want to be a astronaut when I was a kid....

Today, I received "Cookies & Cream", and it's so pretty!
:inlove:

Dawn, thank you so much for the sock yarn. I love the color!

Glad you like it!

Mmmm....... you just brought back a 'smell' memory. I used to have to drive through Hackettestown, NJ moons and moons ago and I would have to drive past M&M Mars factory............ ooooooh the aroma of chocolate................

If you are going to live near a factory, one of those would the kind to live near! :teehee:

Shandeh
10-11-2008, 12:46 PM
Hey Shandeh- "Someday" we need to go to an observatory! Wouldn't that be awesome?
Oh YEAH!!! If I could just convince all of you to love astronomy as much as I do, we could have our get-together at an observatory. :inlove: That would ROCK!!
http://bestsmileys.com/stars/6.gif http://bestsmileys.com/stars/1.gif http://bestsmileys.com/stars/6.gif
Did I tell you a friend got me a telescope for my birthday?
You're so LUCKY!!! :heart: :heart: Congratulations! :cheering:

MAmaDawn
10-11-2008, 04:34 PM
Love the picture of the Shuttle. I'm like Shandeh, I'd probably camp by the road if I saw that! Not long ago I drove to a parking lot to watch the international space station go by. :teehee:

Hey Shandeh- "Someday" we need to go to an observatory! Wouldn't that be awesome? Did I tell you a friend got me a telescope for my birthday?
Cookies and Cream looks great! :heart:

We were posting at the same time...

We are going to get one after we move, it's a place that's farther out and so not as much lights at night so you can see more stars and we will be able to have a place to put it...

I think going to a observatory would be lovely!

Shandeh
10-11-2008, 05:17 PM
Dawn, I forgot to ask.
Am I supposed to add a border to the Cookies & Cream blanket?
I know I'm supposed to do one for the "Autumn" blanket.

Just want to make sure.

HollyP
10-11-2008, 07:49 PM
:waving: Sandy I am after you on Cookies and Cream and doing the border.

MAmaDawn
10-11-2008, 10:38 PM
Yup, Holly's the last knitter and doing the border

blkirback
10-12-2008, 09:51 AM
I took some pictures of the blanket before I put it in the box. My BF bought me a new phone for our anniversary so I have a great new camera! Sorry I haven't got it out in the mail yet, we had to do some running yesturday that took longer than we thought it was going to, so I miss the post office buy 25 minutes. I don't know if they are open tomorrow since it is a holiday and the banks will be closed but if I can get it in the mail tomorrow I will, if not then it will definatly go out Tuesday. Sorry again.

GennyLynn1962
10-12-2008, 03:26 PM
Check out this (http://www.starrynightstore.com/)store. The software is awesome to go with a telescope, it has 'real time' sky maps that are almost as good as a telescope. Actually I use it as more than I do the telescope.

Also...
SpaceWeather.com (http://www.spaceweather.com/)
Heavens-Above (http://heavens-above.com/)
SkyandTelescope.com (http://www.skyandtelescope.com/)
and...
Astronomy Picture of the Day (http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html)

I didn't realize I was such a geek! :teehee: :cheering:

LBECK
10-12-2008, 04:07 PM
Oooh! I love it! Love the colors! Did you think it was fairly easy since it was your first non flat piece? I've only made a Booga Bag, but love the backpack idea!

Yes, it was very easy. I will make more. I have a friend who is opening a small store with odd things in it and she wants me to crochet and knit things for the store. when I get all baby gifts done I might make a couple for the store. (in different colors.) I don't mind doing the same projects I just like to change up the colors a bit it makes me feel like I am not making the same thing. :roflhard:

LBECK
10-12-2008, 04:12 PM
That looks GREAT! What pattern did you use?

Thanks, I will have to look at it and see when I get back home. It was in a book that was sent to me with one of the first blankets that I worked on.

LBECK
10-12-2008, 04:22 PM
I am done with my part on Summer Olympics. BTW it did not have a card in it. I will add one and add you Howdovely, if that is okay? Misharf are you ready? If so let Mamadawn know and she can PM me your address. I will get it out Monday or Tuesday depending on the PO and if I have the addy by then. I will also post a pic then. For some reason my card reader isn't workin today. I do have a pic though.

misha rf
10-12-2008, 08:42 PM
Your backpack is lovely! And I do the same thing for the same reason (knit the same project in different colors). :rofl:

I am ready! I'll PM you my addy. The post office should be closed tomorrow. I'm going out of town, and won't be back until late Thursday. I was gonna say that if anyone had any blankets ready for me to just go ahead & send them. I'm not sure if I'll have computer access while I'm gone (I'm not taking my laptop).

Howdovely
10-12-2008, 09:17 PM
I am done with my part on Summer Olympics. BTW it did not have a card in it. I will add one and add you Howdovely, if that is okay? Misharf are you ready? If so let Mamadawn know and she can PM me your address. I will get it out Monday or Tuesday depending on the PO and if I have the addy by then. I will also post a pic then. For some reason my card reader isn't workin today. I do have a pic though.

I KNEW I'd forget something!!! Sorry!! Yes, that's fine to add me to it. Thank you!

MAmaDawn
10-13-2008, 08:21 AM
You guys are awesome keeping the blankets going like that!

Thank you!

Shandeh
10-13-2008, 12:35 PM
:waving: Sandy I am after you on Cookies and Cream and doing the border.
Excellent! Thanks for letting me know. I figured it out yesterday, because I looked at it and said, "Well...silly me....of COURSE the blanket needs SIX sections before a border." :doh:

I just got out my brown Simply Soft yarn last night, so I'll get to work on it now. :thumbsup:
Check out this (http://www.starrynightstore.com/)store.......I didn't realize I was such a geek! :teehee: :cheering:
Thanks for all the links! :)
And yes...you and I are space geeks. :wink:
http://www.smilieland.com/graphics/astronaut1.gif http://www.smilieland.com/graphics/man10_1kb.gif http://www.smilieland.com/graphics/raumfahrt011.gif http://www.smilieland.com/graphics2/space1.gif

lizardknits
10-13-2008, 11:31 PM
Hi guys
I went to my follow up today
I have tendonitis
its not so bad
I use ice or heat if it acts up
it might act up in the winter more
who knows
he said to keep up what i'm doing

in a related note, my blood pressure was high, but that might be a one time occurence

lets hope so

GennyLynn1962
10-14-2008, 08:40 AM
Sorry to hear you have tendonitis, but I'm glad it's not anything worse. I know several people who have it.
The BP being high could just be from the visits and stress of going to the doctor. So it could very well be a one time occurence.

GennyLynn1962
10-14-2008, 08:43 AM
Sorry I'm so long in getting Chocolate Mint mailed, it's been nuts here for several days. DD1 is home from college, and is leaving today. DD2 did move out...lots of stress.

Anyway, here's a picture. It's really cloudy and dark here so the picture didn't turn out as well as I had hoped.

GennyLynn1962
10-14-2008, 08:44 AM
:cheering: Space Geeks!!!!!

lizardknits
10-14-2008, 10:29 AM
thanks
I think it might have been from the stress in my life from school (im not doing well in two tough classes and I may have to drop my elective)

nephthys8
10-14-2008, 11:37 AM
Just popping by to say hi and let everyone know that I'm still reading and keeping up. Work is crazy busy and will probably stay that way through the end of the year.

I started a pair of socks for myself (well, the first of two) for the third time last night and I finally got it! I wanted to learn to do two-at-a-time (which is basically just two magic loops on one long needle), but it was too complicated for me since I have never done anything in the round before. I switched to do just the one sock with regular magic loop and I got it! I'm so excited! :woohoo:

Shandeh
10-14-2008, 01:38 PM
Congratulations on your sock, Erica!

Lizardknits, I have tendonitis too. Just protect your ailing parts by not overdoing it. I have tendonitis in my wrists, and arthritis in my elbows and knees. When the weather is bad, I can feel it all over. (I call myself a human barometer!) :teehee:

The thing that helps me the most is ibuprofen, ice, heating pads, rest, and warm showers.

Good luck! :thumbsup:
:cheering: Space Geeks!!!!!
:muah:

HollyP
10-14-2008, 01:47 PM
Hey everyone!:hug: I'm popping in to say hi too! I had company over the weekend and have kept up with the thread but haven't been able to take any time to post. School is as nutty/busy as always but I am doing well!

Elizabeth- I'm glad they found what was causing you the pain. At least knowing what it is means you can treat it more effectively.

GennyLynn- Chocolate Mint looks great!
nephthys8- :cheering:for getting over the sock making hump!! I really love the idea of sock knitting but haven't really truly given it a chance. I've started and frogged several pairs.

Did we ever make a decision about posting the number of stitches for that blanket has? I know there had been some discussion about it a while ago but I couldn't remember if anything was decided.

GennyLynn1962
10-14-2008, 03:33 PM
Go USA has arrived safely at my house. :cheering:

Along with some really pretty purple yarn! Thanks Misha, I love it. :hug:

Now I have the dreaded chore of going out to look at yarn to use on it. :teehee:

Shandeh
10-14-2008, 08:59 PM
I started working on "Cookies & Cream" last night, using brown Caron Simply Soft. I'm doing a "Waffle Stitch" design from a very old knitting book. It's going well!

LBECK
10-15-2008, 07:52 AM
Okay here is a pic of The "Summer Olympics" after My part is done.

nephthys8
10-15-2008, 09:48 AM
It looks GREAT, Lisa! I'm so excited to get to work on it. :)

Howdovely
10-15-2008, 01:22 PM
Yay!!! LOVE IT!!!

GennyLynn1962
10-15-2008, 01:59 PM
Chocolate Mint has finally been mailed,
Confirmation number 03080730000100131782

GennyLynn1962
10-15-2008, 02:01 PM
Summer Olympics looks great!!!

LBECK are you after me on Go USA?

kellybigeyes
10-15-2008, 02:24 PM
I just wanted to give everyone an update on Butterfly Kisses and my arm. I have 6 more rows left on the blanket. It is coming along nicely. According to the blog, LBECK is next. If someone will PM me her address, hopefully I can mail it Friday or Saturday. Crossed Fingers

The recovery on my arm is going well, but a little slower than what the doctor would like. I am still having a great deal of pain when I try to move it without wearing my brace. I have to begin physical therepy next week. I have to go 3 times a week for 3 weeks. Hopefully, it will go well. :pray:

P.S.- I am making a card to send with the blanket also.

blkirback
10-15-2008, 02:31 PM
My boyfriend took Autumn Leaves to the post office and I am just waiting for him to e-mail me the confirmation code now. I made sure to remind him about 100 times that I HAVE to have it, hopefully he remembers.

Shandeh
10-15-2008, 03:17 PM
I finished my part of Cookies and Cream last night!
I'll post a photo later. I'm feeling light-headed today, so I'm gonna go rest for a while.

blkirback
10-15-2008, 06:05 PM
Confirmation Number for Autumn Leaves 0307 1790 0004 1389 6583.

MAmaDawn
10-15-2008, 09:28 PM
Summer Olympics looks great!!!

LBECK are you after me on Go USA?

Yes, I'll check to see if she's ready for it...

I just wanted to give everyone an update on Butterfly Kisses and my arm. I have 6 more rows left on the blanket. It is coming along nicely. According to the blog, LBECK is next. If someone will PM me her address, hopefully I can mail it Friday or Saturday. Crossed Fingers

The recovery on my arm is going well, but a little slower than what the doctor would like. I am still having a great deal of pain when I try to move it without wearing my brace. I have to begin physical therepy next week. I have to go 3 times a week for 3 weeks. Hopefully, it will go well. :pray:

P.S.- I am making a card to send with the blanket also.

Thank you for making the card... I'll check with Lisa to see if she's ready for it... You are making goo progress with it!

I'm sorry to hear that your arm isn't progressing the way the dr would like it too.. I'm praying....

I finished my part of Cookies and Cream last night!
I'll post a photo later. I'm feeling light-headed today, so I'm gonna go rest for a while.

Checking with the next knitter, that was fast!

I'm having internet issues... about 1/3 of the time pages won't load. We've called our ISP and Goob actually found what is the problem on their side (techy hubby :teehee:) but they won't listen.... :wall::gah::hair:<--------- those were him today on the phone with them.... so if you finish a blanket or have an issue can you email me? I have it set up here... it's easier if I don't have to log on here and see if the pages with load. Hopefully this will be cleared up in a few days.

Thanks!

GennyLynn1962
10-16-2008, 08:14 AM
Shandeh is a speedy knitter! :out:
:teehee:

Shandeh
10-16-2008, 02:31 PM
Hey....maybe that's why I felt so light-headed yesterday! :think:

:teehee:

Shandeh
10-16-2008, 02:42 PM
Here's Cookies and Cream, ready to go to Holly P!
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2273/2946873053_58fa927f46.jpg

HollyP
10-16-2008, 04:53 PM
Cookies and Cream looks good enough to eat! :yay:

In keeping with the established color pattern I will do white. Should I also do a brown section so our cookie doesn't end up cream side out?

Shandeh do you need my addy? I'd be happy to PM it if you do but, I am pretty sure you have it:teehee:.

kellybigeyes
10-16-2008, 05:55 PM
Butterfly Kisses is done!! I have made the card and signed everyone's name to it. I have LBECK's address and I will hopefully mail it tomorrow. I will post a picture when I post the confirmation number.

kellybigeyes
10-16-2008, 05:56 PM
Cookies and Cream looks great!!:cheering:

kellybigeyes
10-16-2008, 05:59 PM
I just realized something... I received Butterfly Kisses on Oct 2. It has been exactly 2 weeks. I thought it would take me a lot longer with my arm in the shape that it is in. But it didn't!! :woohoo: *Giving myself a pat on the back* :woot:

Moxiemade
10-16-2008, 06:53 PM
Kelly, was there no card with Butterfly Kisses? I did make one and mail it with the blanket. Sorry if I missed anything, so many pages to go back on.

HollyP
10-16-2008, 07:41 PM
Carmen, the card was misplaced. I have searched high and low and couldn't find it. Elizabeth(lizardknits) is sure it wasn't in the package I sent her. I guess we are lucky that so far all we've lost is a card.

Moxiemade
10-16-2008, 08:06 PM
Oh okay no problem. I just wanted to make sure it was known that I did include one.

Thanks Kelly for making one!

Shandeh
10-16-2008, 10:03 PM
Cookies and Cream looks good enough to eat! :yay:
I agree! It made me hungry for Little Debbie's the entire time I was working on it. :teehee:
Shandeh do you need my addy? I'd be happy to PM it if you do but, I am pretty sure you have it:teehee:.
I've got it! :thumbsup:
I just realized something... I received Butterfly Kisses on Oct 2. It has been exactly 2 weeks. I thought it would take me a lot longer with my arm in the shape that it is in. But it didn't!! :woohoo: *Giving myself a pat on the back* :woot:
Cool! :wink:

misha rf
10-16-2008, 10:12 PM
Go USA has arrived safely at my house. :cheering:

Along with some really pretty purple yarn! Thanks Misha, I love it. :hug:

Now I have the dreaded chore of going out to look at yarn to use on it. :teehee:

Glad it got there, and glad you like the yarn!! :teehee:

MAmaDawn
10-17-2008, 07:17 AM
Gen and Sandy you are so funny! :rofl:

Great job Kelly!

Thanks for keeping the blankets moving everyone... hopefully my connection will be cleared up soon... (to make sure I am able to post and don't have to retype I'm copying what I type and I can paste it if it doesn't work...)

Cookies and Cream looks great! I think either way would look nice Holly... but spilling cream on the baby wouldn't be good.... :teehee:

Carmen Holly remembered there being a card as soon as Kelly noticed there wasn't one... it happens sometimes, I agree with Holly, I'm glad it just the card and not a blanket... that would make me want to cry... :waah:

And we have 5 yes 5! blankets that are with or on their way to the last knitter/crocheter... :woohoo:It's awesome how well they have moved along... you guys are great! :muah::hug::grphug:

nephthys8
10-17-2008, 10:29 AM
Hey everyone! Just dropping by to say hello and wish everyone here a happy Friday!

My socks are progressing a bit slowly. I was making a Women's Large, but it is looking rather big at the cuff, so I think I am going to grab my second ball of yarn and cast on for a Women's Medium. (In the book I'm using, my foot size is right on the borderline between the two). Either way, I will be sock knitting all weekend while I try to get inspired to make more afghan blocks for my other project.

blkirback
10-17-2008, 01:12 PM
Chocolate Mint arrived just a few minutes ago! Thank you for the yarn and the wonderful shot glass!:woohoo: I don't think I had one from Kentucky, if I do I will have to put the two of them together. Thank you again.

My plan is to start working on it either tonight or tomorrow morning and have it mailed out by Monday, if I get working on it tonight I might be able to get it in the mail tomorrow but probably not.