PDA

View Full Version : Southeast US Oddball Baby Blankets

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Shandeh
07-07-2008, 01:11 AM
Hello friendly charity knitters and crocheters!

We work together to make Oddball Baby Blankets for charity. Our blankets will be made according to the requests of our local hospital(s), so keep watching this thread to see our guidelines.

HollyP (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/member.php?u=11248) will be the leader for the Southeast Region Oddball Baby Blankets.

The Southeast Region includes: Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, & West Virginia

If you would like to volunteer to help make our blankets, please send MAmaDawn a private message, and she'll help you get started!

Our project will begin in August, so let's start our plans!

MAmaDawn
07-07-2008, 07:53 AM
I am very excited to be working with everyone on these blankets.

I'm working on the blog. And getting everything set up.

HollyP is helping me (thank you! :hug:)

I'll post the link to the blog as soon as it's ready.

kellybigeyes
07-07-2008, 10:02 AM
Hey MAmaDawn... I just wanted to make sure that you add me to the list. Do I need to send you my address in a PM? I'm sure you know that I have been working on blankets already with Shandeh. So I'm familiar with how everything works. I can't wait to get started next month. I look forward to working with you.

MAmaDawn
07-07-2008, 12:00 PM
Yup you are on the list. The only parts that may change is making the blanket meet the needs of the hospital. HollyP is checking on that part.

As soon and she is able to find out what the needs are for the hospital we choose then we can start planning blankets.

HollyP
07-07-2008, 07:24 PM
Hey everybody! I called the hospital today and the volunteer coordinator is on vacation. She'll be back in the next couple of days. Hopefully I'll be able to get an answer then.
The hospital I am hoping to be able to donate to is Children's Hospital of the King's Daughters in Norfolk, VA. Here is a link to the hospital - CHKD (http://www.chkd.org/About/) . As I already told MamaDawn, CHKD has a really special place in my heart. My youngest brother spent a lot of his youth there due to major congential heart defects. Our family credits this hospital with saving his life multiple times. Thankfully he is now a healthy happy adult.
I will let you all know as soon as I know anything!!

LBECK
07-08-2008, 06:42 PM
I am very excited to get started. You can count me in. I have been working on a couple of the blankets so far. I got in kinda late but have already done 3 now. I will PM you my address MAmaDawn.
I can crochet so I will be glad to help on the borders as well.

I also have several ideas in mind for blankets but will have to post more later about that.

Shandeh
07-08-2008, 07:30 PM
Go Southeast! :woohoo:

MAmaDawn
07-08-2008, 10:28 PM
Shandah is going to be our cheerleader now... :teehee:

I have everyone that has pmed me or posted here on my list... just waiting till the volunteer coordinator gets back from vacation... Remember patience is a virtue... too bad that it's not easier... ;)

Shandeh
07-10-2008, 12:07 AM
Shandah is going to be our cheerleader now... :teehee:
Yes I am! :)

MAmaDawn
07-10-2008, 07:09 AM
Yes I am! :)

:roflhard: That is so funny!!!!

MAmaDawn
07-10-2008, 01:47 PM
Holly any word yet?

Shandeh
07-10-2008, 02:46 PM
:roflhard: That is so funny!!!!
:wink:

HollyP
07-11-2008, 12:56 AM
Hi again. No word yet! I'm hoping it is just because her in-box is overflowing from being on vacation. I'm going to search the website and see if maybe I can get her email. My friend who is a nurse told me that a lot of the staff at her hospital are better about returning emails than phone calls. If I don't get a hold of her tomorrow I will go to the hospital on Monday and try to talk to her in person.

MAmaDawn
07-11-2008, 07:53 AM
Thank you Holly for taking care of this.

I wanted to know what everyone thought of this idea. I was thinking down the road we can ad more hospitals that we knit for. Moxiemade I know you said you have several you can check out too. Do you all like this idea?

And is the a section y'all prefer to knit on? Or not to knit on? And I know that Lisa and Holly both of you have crocheted borders is there anyone else that would like the help with that? It doesn't have to be anything fancy, just a single crochet or double crochet even makes it just look so together.

And I can't wait... I have one idea for a blanket. Autumn leaves.... I won't start on it till August so I think it will be done in the fall.

HollyP
07-11-2008, 01:10 PM
I just got of the phone with the coordinator!:woot: They are very excited about receiving our blankets. I had given her the blog in a voice mail. When I talked to her she had just finished looking at the blog. She told me she was in awe of our talent and willingness to give.

They have a need for everything! She said anything from preemie isolette covers - twin beds.
They ask for soft washable like we've been doing. She really stressed soft! She also asked us to stay away from all yellow or all green blankets. Apparently jaundice and other sick babies look much sicker under a yellow or green blanket than other colors. We can include a card, if we want, but we have to refrain from get well and religious messages. So it's really not all that different from what we were doing.
I'm really excited, it seems more real now. I keep thinking of themes during the most random times. I'm going to have to keep a little notebook or something with me.
I'd be happy to do a boarder. I can also do the last section. I'd also be happy to start some. So really just let me knit and I am happy!:teehee:

MAmaDawn
07-11-2008, 01:20 PM
:woot:

It really does seem real now doesn't it? So what are everyone's ideas for new themes. I'm thinking to start lets stick with the kind we have been making. And we can branch out later. Does that sound good to everyone?

Thank you Holly...:hug: I'm glad she's excited to get the blankets

MAmaDawn
07-11-2008, 01:42 PM
Our new blog is up....

http://seoddballbabyblanket.blogspot.com/

YAY! Seems even more real now

HollyP
07-11-2008, 02:39 PM
Yeah!!

Shandeh
07-11-2008, 05:48 PM
Way to go ladies! You rock!! :thumbsup:

I'll be busy for a while, finishing up my current stack of preemie blankets and wrapping up the last of the regular baby blankets.

So, you can probably count on having me as a knitter and basic crocheter in September or October.

It's so cool to watch our region take shape! :)

Howdovely
07-12-2008, 01:47 PM
This is so awesome everyone! How excited to still be a part of all this, and I love the idea that the blankets will now be completed in full closer to home.

I may not be able to jump right in when we start up again, but I certainly will keep up with the forum and blog to see how they are all coming along.

August September and October will be real busy for me, but hopefully during the end of the year, I can start to pitch in again. I now want to learn to crochet the borders so that I can help with ALL aspects of these blankets!! Ugh, like I need another addiction. haha.

Go Southeast!!

Brenda

misha rf
07-12-2008, 05:20 PM
Yay!!

You don't want me crocheting borders. It would not be pretty.

Me + crochet hook = DOOM! :rofl:

Shandeh
07-12-2008, 06:37 PM
:teehee:

MAmaDawn
07-12-2008, 07:12 PM
This is so awesome everyone! How excited to still be a part of all this, and I love the idea that the blankets will now be completed in full closer to home.

I may not be able to jump right in when we start up again, but I certainly will keep up with the forum and blog to see how they are all coming along.

August September and October will be real busy for me, but hopefully during the end of the year, I can start to pitch in again. I now want to learn to crochet the borders so that I can help with ALL aspects of these blankets!! Ugh, like I need another addiction. haha.

Go Southeast!!

Brenda

So glad to have you with us! Even if it's not right away. I can't crochet off of a chain, but I can on the blankets.

Here is a site that helped me learn... http://www.nexstitch.com/v_single_crochet.html

Yay!!

You don't want me crocheting borders. It would not be pretty.

Me + crochet hook = DOOM! :rofl:

Ha Ha ha! :rofl: That's funny!

Howdovely
07-12-2008, 08:06 PM
Here is a site that helped me learn... http://www.nexstitch.com/v_single_crochet.html

haha, i peeked at that site, and now i'm hooked!!!! ugh!!! I don't have time to learn something else. man, i guess I need to give up sleep..............................

MAmaDawn
07-12-2008, 08:14 PM
haha, i peeked at that site, and now i'm hooked!!!! ugh!!! I don't have time to learn something else. man, i guess I need to give up sleep..............................

If you figure out how to do that let me know... I could use that time....

kellybigeyes
07-12-2008, 11:40 PM
August will be here before we know it. Do we need to be getting a list together of blanket names/themes and a list of knitters that will be working on them? Just curious!:eyes:

MAmaDawn
07-12-2008, 11:46 PM
I actually came up with some more today... Post any ideas you guys have as you have them, even if we can't start them right then, I'll add them to the spreadsheet I'm keeping so we can make sure we do them.

Autumn Leaves
Little Boy Blue
Little Bo Peep
Cupcakes
Pudding (Or since we are the south, we could say puddin' :teehee:)

kellybigeyes
07-12-2008, 11:56 PM
Are we getting needles from Shandeh or will we be providing the needles?

MAmaDawn
07-13-2008, 06:54 AM
I have a few, you can use ones you have if you want, and Shandeh is sending me some, so I can send needles anyone who needs them. just let me know what size you would prefer.

Does anyone know how to make the buttons?

HollyP
07-13-2008, 07:52 PM
I love puddin' :teehee:
blanket ideas I've had:
M&Ms
Smurfy
Lucky Charms
Primary colors
the patriotic ones were very cool
diagonal rainbow - a big granny's favorite dishcloth
Camo
the neon one have been great too
spring in the garden
birds
fruit salad
crayons
ocean I would love to do a ocean themed one with feather and fan pattern throughout. I'm pretty sure they did a preemie blanket like this and it was gorgeous
Finding Nemo
Little Mermaid
Sunset

MAmaDawn
07-13-2008, 08:07 PM
Those are GREAT ideas! I have them all listed. I was just thinking that we could chose about 3 after everyone who has ideas puts them out there. To start with... :teehee:

kellybigeyes
07-13-2008, 10:13 PM
HollyP... those are great ideas. I thought of the M&M's too. :teehee: Here are a few others:

Tip-Toe in the Tulips
Blue Sky
Skittles
Banana Split
Splish Slash
Lemon Drops & Gum Drops

I can't wait to get started!

HollyP
07-14-2008, 01:41 AM
We seem to have a lot of food related ones. What does that say about us in the south east?:teehee:

Shandeh
07-14-2008, 02:49 AM
You guys are making me hungry! :teehee:

I love all the names you're coming up with. :thumbsup:

MAmaDawn
07-14-2008, 08:53 AM
These are GREAT! Love how many we are getting! I was a little worried about coming up with enough names, but boy we are not going to run into problems anytime soon with all these great names.... and it very funny how many are tied to food, and sweets at that! :teehee:

HollyP
07-14-2008, 09:46 AM
I asked over in the OT board for help making a button for us. I know we have a ton of talented button designers. Hopefully we'll have a button soonCrossed Fingers!
I found a needle we can use while cleaning out my couch last night! So far I have 4 (3 from other blankets I have finished) we can use. I'll look more closely through my needles tonight when I get home from school. I'm sure I have more.

MAmaDawn
07-14-2008, 10:31 AM
Great idea about asking in the OT board. It might get some others looking here too.

And that's great about finding the needles.

MAmaDawn
07-14-2008, 11:33 AM
Would you each like to start one of the blankets ideas you had?

I'm going to double check who I have that has sent me a pm or signed up here and send messages out to everyone else.

I'll post the list here and then add it to our blog.

MAmaDawn
07-14-2008, 02:03 PM
Who I have currently is:

LBECK, Moxiemade, kayrun, Howdovely, kellybigeyes, HollyP, misha rf, Shandeh, losnana, doodknitwit and myself.

Crocheters LBECK, Shandeh, HollyP, myself and I have 2 friends that maybe joining us. One will knit and crochet on the blankets and one will just be crocheting.

I hope I'm not leaving anyone out... But we are starting off with 11! That's awesome! :grphug:

Howdovely, should I put you down as crocheting? Have you been working on that instead of sleeping yet? :teehee:

HollyP
07-14-2008, 10:57 PM
Dawn I would love to start one(or 4:teehee:)!

kellybigeyes
07-14-2008, 11:07 PM
I wouldn't mind at all to start one either. I think we should make sure of who is starting what. We might even want to discuss if there are some that we would like to do more than others. I think it would also be great if we do some rainbow blankets. I love the way those have turned out in the past. They are so colorful and cheerful. Just a thought.

MAmaDawn
07-15-2008, 08:11 AM
Yup I was going to ask which ones you wanted to start... you've thought of what I was think twice now I think Kelly.... :teehee:

I've still have several (ok 5 with the premie ones... :teehee: ) of the original blankets, so I won't start until Aug is actually here. But I'm going to start Autumn Leaves. Which ones do yall want to start?

When you said talk about some we would like to do more than others, did you mean what types of blankets? I think that's a GREAT idea and I love the idea of doing more rainbow blankets.

LBECK
07-15-2008, 08:33 AM
I have a few ideas for blankets and I would love to start one of them as well. I think I have maybe 2 sets of size 8 needles. And to follow suite they have food themes. lol

Chocolate mint- alternating chocolate brown with greens.
Cookies and cream - alternating chocolate and off white.
Olivia - using chocolate - soft pink - and offwhite
Charles - using chocolate - baby blue- and offwhite

I love chocolate. lol

I would like to start the cookies and cream.

MAmaDawn
07-15-2008, 09:03 AM
OK so lets start with Cookies and Cream, Autumn Leaves and the ones that Kelly and Holly want to start. That will be 4 to start with.

Now who wants to knit on these? We can get them all set up so we are ready when we start them.

With the green and yellow ones we just want to make sure that we don't do too much of green or yellow. I never thought of that with the kids. I don't think that doing the green with brown will be too much(For the Chocolate Mint). With Banana Split, I was think it would be fun to do the ice cream and maybe end with red for the cherry on top. Don't have to do it that way though, I just love the cherry! :teehee:

HollyP
07-15-2008, 10:04 AM
What great ideas everyone is having! :yay:I love it! We will definitely never run out of ideas with such a creative group!
As far as the yellow and green goes I think they will be ok as long as they are not the only color. She said avoid all green or all yellow. I'll call today to clarify.
I love the idea of the "chocolates" with the other colors. It's such a huge trend in home decorating now. They will look so chic!

I would like to start the ocean waves, feather and fan blankie- it needs a name. I was thinking something with Atlantic to represent our ocean. I'm drawing a blank.

If anyone needs a needle PM me! I have three available right now.

MAmaDawn
07-15-2008, 10:14 AM
As far as the yellow and green goes I think they will be ok as long as they are not the only color. She said avoid all green or all yellow. I'll call today to clarify.

...I would like to start the ocean waves, feather and fan blankie- it needs a name. I was thinking something with Atlantic to represent our ocean. I'm drawing a blank.

That's what I thought about the greens and yellows. Thank you for handling that part for us.

I'll try to think of a name... not the best at stuff like that.:think:

kellybigeyes
07-15-2008, 12:34 PM
When you said talk about some we would like to do more than others, did you mean what types of blankets?

All I was saying is this... we have made a really big list to start off with... and I just thought that there may be a couple that is "more important" to us than others. So we may want to start those first. I hope that makes sense now. :??

I love the idea of the "chocolates" with the other colors. It's such a huge trend in home decorating now. They will look so chic!

I would like to start the ocean waves, feather and fan blankie- it needs a name. I was thinking something with Atlantic to represent our ocean. I'm drawing a blank.

If anyone needs a needle PM me! I have three available right now.

I also love the chocolate idea. Chocolate always make me feel better!!:teehee: This is just an idea for the ocean blanket... I think maybe something as simple as "Atlantic Waves" might be nice. It is simple and to the point!! It would be nice if I could get a needle from you, HollyP. Since I am still sort of new... I haven't built up my stash of needles yet. And I hate to go buy one when we already have some. But I can... it's no big deal.

I also wanted to clarify something... are we only doing baby blankets and NOT preemie, or are we doing preemie also?

MAmaDawn
07-15-2008, 01:03 PM
OK I think choosing which ones we want to do first is a great idea.

So which ones do you all like the best?

Oh and you all can start whichever ones you want to.

I do like Atlantic Waves for the ocean one.

We are starting off with baby blankets. We will add premiee ones down the road.

kellybigeyes
07-15-2008, 01:34 PM
MamaDawn... I think I would like to start the M&M's blanket. (If that it ok with HollyP?) We both thought of it, but she posted it first. So if it is a problem, I can start a different one.

Here are the colors for M&M's:
Red
Yellow
Green
Blue
Orange
Brown

I think this would be a good order for the colors since Red and Brown are darker colors, I think it will help to anchor the blanket. Then you have a lighter color beside those (yellow and orange) and then you have the other 2 darker colors in the middle (blue and green). You can see the colors in this order on the M&M website. I thought it was a good combo.

I am currently working on a preemie blanket (Salt Water Taffy) and I am expecting a baby blanket (Sugar and Spice) within the next week or so. I will need to get those finished up before I start on this one for August.

Just let me know if this is alright with everyone. Thanks so much.

MAmaDawn
07-15-2008, 02:05 PM
I think that's great Kelly! I have to say that I like having some blankets that have assigned colors and some that don't. It's different see them grow when you know the order of the colors and when it's something like the Happy Bluebirds and seeing it come together.

I'm so excited!:happydance:

kellybigeyes
07-15-2008, 02:16 PM
I forgot to ask this earlier....

When we send the blanket to the next knitter, it always has the paper in it that tells how many stitches there should be, knit 3 at the beginning and 3 a the end, etc. For the ones that are starting blankets... we will need a way to print that letter off so we can include it. Do you have a copy or do we have to make our own? I do think they should all say the same thing (except for the number of stitches). I just didn't know if we needed to see if Shandeh could post the letter or if we needed to come up with one as a group. It should be specifically for the SouthEast.

And... I have never worked on a blanket that followed the same pattern (like the feather of fan)... I think we should include the pattern that is being used so that everyone will know exactly what the pattern is.

I hope I am not posting to many things. I just keep thinking of things to ask and things to mention. I am a little bit of a perfectionist... so I like to know that I TOTALLY understand things. :thumbsup:

Thanks for putting up with me!! I hope I am not making everyone want to pull their hair out.:hair: :teehee:

MAmaDawn
07-15-2008, 02:24 PM
No Kelly not at all. I really need the help... I have a copy of the paper that goes with the blankets. I'll send it to you, LBECK do you need a copy too?

And yes if we have a pattern like the father fan one or the diagonal rainbow we will include the pattern for it. And we can even put stitch markers to help with making sure the pattern is coming out right when needed.

kellybigeyes
07-15-2008, 02:37 PM
Are you going to PM me or mail it? Or do you want my email address?

MAmaDawn
07-15-2008, 02:41 PM
I just pmed it to you.

I've made changes to it since somethings have changed (like not sending the notebook, mine was from when we did) so anyone that makes a new one will need this new memo. I will try to make sure I send it to everyone when you need it but if I don't remind me and I will.

kellybigeyes
07-15-2008, 02:46 PM
I got it!! Thanks... the only question that I have... it this... it still has Shandeh's information. I just wanted to see if that is correct? Since we have branched off... do we still need to contact her or you?

MAmaDawn
07-15-2008, 02:50 PM
I must have attached the wrong one... I'll send the other one now... sorry about that!

kellybigeyes
07-15-2008, 03:13 PM
Thanks so much!! I got it and I now have it saved to my computer. I was reading over the sheet and thought of something else. It says to end with a row of knit stitches on the WRONG side. I have had a problem with a couple of the blankets that I have worked on recently where the knitter before me did not end on the correct side. I just wanted to clarify for myself and everone else that may not understand...When it says, "just be sure to end your section on a WRONG SIDE ROW with ALL KNIT STITCHES"...

That means to be looking at or having the wrong side of the work facing you when you are doing the last row of knit stitches... correct????

And one other thing... I normally use the long tail cast on for my projects. It just seems to be easier for me. Is that ok when starting a blanket or should I use another type of cast on?

MAmaDawn
07-15-2008, 04:44 PM
Just about any type of cast on is fine, except maybe invisible... so yes go ahead and use long tail, that's the one I use for the blankets too.

And yes it's the wrong side means that the back or wrong side is facing you as you knit it. I have had one that was that way too, I didn't even realize it until I had done my 3 knit rows and was working out how my pattern would work.

Howdovely
07-15-2008, 08:21 PM
Howdovely, should I put you down as crocheting? Have you been working on that instead of sleeping yet? :teehee:

Huh?....... Whah?...... Sorry, I was just dozing since I have NO OTHER TIME TO SLEEP!!

Haha, just kidding. No, don't put me down for crocheting. I just got word today that the buyer for my house FINALLY got his financing set. So, I need to move in 3 weeks. And um, yeah, I'm on vacation to NY and Canada for one of those weeks.

Yikes.

But I'm excited I sold my house is today's economy!

HollyP
07-15-2008, 08:56 PM
Congrats Brenda!! That is an accomplishment. My neighbor's house has been on the market for 4 months now and they are really getting stressed about not selling.

Kelly I have no problem with you starting M&Ms! Once I put my ideas on this thread I considered them "Southeast" property not mine. Kelly please don't think you are asking too many questions! This is new and we all have questions.

I have a pattern picked out and printed for Atlantic Waves( I love the name thanks!). I will definitely be sending it along with the blanket! I'll also probably be adding stitch markers if needed. It's been a while since I done feather and fan so I'll see.

MAmaDawn
07-16-2008, 05:45 AM
:yay: Brenda so glad that you sold your house!

Thank you for printing the pattern, Holly!

LBECK
07-16-2008, 07:51 AM
I got the memo. Thanks, yes I did need one. I don't get to get online as quickly as I would like to sometimes sorry for not answering back.

Yeah :cheering: for Brenda selling your house! How exciting and nerve wracking at the same time. lol

Kelly thank you for asking so many questions I had some of those questions myself. I will have to watch how I am ending and I hope that I am not the one that sent the blankets wrong since I am so very new to knitting I would not doubt that it was me. If so I am very sorry. I tried to end them with my yarn end on the same end as the yarn before me ended. That is what I was judging as the wrong side.

MAmaDawn, I will work on any blankets that you want to put me on just let me know where I am at on them and I will be waiting. I will start Cookies and Cream if that is okay just let me know?

HollyP
07-16-2008, 09:47 AM
Momwolf :muah: very kindly made us several buttons to choose from! Here is the thread (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1130142#post1130142)

and here are our choices!!!!! Should we all have the same one or does it matter as long as it says Southeast baby oddball? If we all want the same, please place you vote for 1-4 left to right.

kellybigeyes
07-16-2008, 10:15 AM
Before I vote... I have a question. Will the image be this size or will it be smaller? Because numbers 1 and 3 are a little "fuzzy" now... if they are made smaller, it will be even harder to see.

momwolf
07-16-2008, 11:48 AM
I am going to remake 1 & 3

MAmaDawn
07-16-2008, 12:13 PM
My favorite is 1, but I think it's wold be fun to let everyone pick which one they want.

And momwolf :hug:thank you so much! It's so wonderful of you to take time to do this for us!

Shandeh
07-16-2008, 12:14 PM
Great work everyone! :cheering:
It's so cool to see how alive and exciting our SE Region has become!

MAmaDawn
07-16-2008, 12:22 PM
Lisa sorry forgot to respond to what you said.... see I need to use the quote plus, like Sandy showed us...

You can start Cookies and Cream and mail it on in Aug. How many blankets do you want to be on?

Right now we have 4 blankets, Autumn Leaves, M&M's, Cookies and Cream, and Atlantic Waves. The M&M's has assigned colors so if you want a certain one let me know which one.
Here are the colors for M&M's:
Red
Yellow
Green
Blue
Orange
Brown

Does everyone that's starting a blanket have needles or needles on the way?

kellybigeyes
07-16-2008, 01:52 PM
MamaDawn... since I am starting the M&M blanket, go ahead and put my name down for the Red section. I would also like to work on Atlantic Waves. I think the pattern will be fun... I have never worked on one like that before. HollyP is sending me a needle to get started. I will be willing to work on some of the other blankets if needed.

momwolf
07-16-2008, 02:06 PM
Sorry ladies couldn't use yellow background.

kellybigeyes
07-16-2008, 02:13 PM
momwolf... I LOVE this one!! :woohoo: It looks great!! By far, my favorite of them all. :yay:

kellybigeyes
07-16-2008, 02:18 PM
Like I said in an earlier post... I am waiting on needles from HollyP. Therefore, I will not be starting on the blanket until those arrive. So... I wanted to get everyone's opinion on the M&M blanket. Should we just use garter stitch throughout (or some other simple pattern) or should we let everyone choose their own pattern? I haven't worked on any of the 'rainbow' blankets, but I have seen on the blogs that some of them have just been garter stitch throughout. What do you all think will look best? We have some time to decide while I am waiting on the needles to get here. So let me know what you all think!!

momwolf
07-16-2008, 02:53 PM
Sorry ladies had to change the backgrounds in order for it to work.And I changed the size so you don't have to:teehee:

MAmaDawn
07-16-2008, 03:00 PM
MamaDawn... since I am starting the M&M blanket, go ahead and put my name down for the Red section. I would also like to work on Atlantic Waves. I think the pattern will be fun... I have never worked on one like that before. HollyP is sending me a needle to get started. I will be willing to work on some of the other blankets if needed.

Yup have you down for the red one starting it... and I now have you down for the Atlantic waves

Like I said in an earlier post... I am waiting on needles from HollyP. Therefore, I will not be starting on the blanket until those arrive. So... I wanted to get everyone's opinion on the M&M blanket. Should we just use garter stitch throughout (or some other simple pattern) or should we let everyone choose their own pattern? I haven't worked on any of the 'rainbow' blankets, but I have seen on the blogs that some of them have just been garter stitch throughout. What do you all think will look best? We have some time to decide while I am waiting on the needles to get here. So let me know what you all think!!

What about if we did Chevron stitch? It's not too hard, just knit and purls. And there are several different types. What do you all think?

Sorry ladies couldn't use yellow background.

That looks AWESOME! I like it best too! Thank you SO much! :muah::hug:

MAmaDawn
07-16-2008, 03:02 PM
We were posting at the same time Momwolf, I like the cradle one best.

kellybigeyes
07-16-2008, 11:27 PM
I went to WalMart tonight and bought some yarn to start to the M&M Blanket when the needles arrive. But I am having issues I think...

I really really dislike Red Heart. And that is what I had to buy. I really like using Caron SS. But they did not have it in red. The next closet store that sells yarn is an hour away. I am really torn about what to do. Does anyone know of a website where I can get Caron SS in red and not have to pay a lot of shipping? Since I am waiting on the needles to arrive, I have some time to order yarn and wait for it to get here.

What do you all think?

kellybigeyes
07-16-2008, 11:31 PM
What about if we did Chevron stitch? It's not too hard, just knit and purls. And there are several different types. What do you all think?

MamaDawn... I have the book Knit & Purl and I looked in there at the Chevron stitches and I did not care for them. There are like 3 or 4 different ones. Is there one in particular that you were thinking of?

Shandeh
07-17-2008, 12:02 AM
I went to WalMart tonight and bought some yarn to start to the M&M Blanket when the needles arrive. But I am having issues I think...
I really really dislike Red Heart. And that is what I had to buy. I really like using Caron SS. But they did not have it in red. The next closet store that sells yarn is an hour away. I am really torn about what to do. Does anyone know of a website where I can get Caron SS in red and not have to pay a lot of shipping?

I'll send you some red Caron SS tomorrow, my friend.
:muah:

kellybigeyes
07-17-2008, 12:09 AM
Oh Sandy... you don't have to do that. I will be more than happy to pay you for it. I don't mind to buy it from a website somewhere... I just hate to pay a lot of shipping on something that is only $3 or so.

Shandeh
07-17-2008, 12:13 AM
Oh Sandy... you don't have to do that. I will be more than happy to pay you for it. I don't mind to buy it from a website somewhere... I just hate to pay a lot of shipping on something that is only $3 or so.
I really don't mind at all. It's just sitting here at my house. It was probably given to me for my charity knitting. :thumbsup:

It's not an entire skein, but it's more than enough to use for one of our baby blankets. :)

Besides, I was going to mail it to MAmaDawn anyway. :teehee:

And, believe me....I can certainly spare it. I have over 100 miles of yarn in my stash. HA!!

kellybigeyes
07-17-2008, 12:16 AM
Well... Thank you so much. I really appreciate it!!:muah: I will be looking for it. Oh by the way... did you hear anything about "Sugar and Spice"? Just let me know. Thanks again for the yarn.

Shandeh
07-17-2008, 12:21 AM
Well... Thank you so much. I really appreciate it!!:muah: I will be looking for it. Oh by the way... did you hear anything about "Sugar and Spice"? Just let me know. Thanks again for the yarn.
You're very welcome! :hug:

"Sugar & Spice" is MIA right now. I've contacted the last knitter several times over the past few months, with no response. I'll send a postcard this weekend. (Please don't ask who it is, because I prefer to keep these situations private.)

MAmaDawn
07-17-2008, 07:22 AM
Glad you are getting some yarn... I thought that someone would have some. What I do for buying yarn online is I don't buy just one skien. I look at what they have a just add a few to my stash. Also when I'm ordering some for other projects (like Christmas and such) I look for some that I think will be good for the oddball blankets.

Was it Red Heart Super Saver? I don't like that one either. Have you tried Red Heart Soft yarn? HUGE difference if not.

And Sandy thank you!

Oh and about the stitch, we can use something else. There wasn't one that I thought of over the others. And I don't want to do one that you don't like. What about this (http://www.knittingonthenet.com/stitches/diagonals.htm) Stitch?

LBECK
07-17-2008, 07:46 AM
i really like the first one. But they are all very cute and I will use which ever one is chosen. I will have to have help on how to get them on there I think I have forgotten how to do that.lol

Momwolf :muah: very kindly made us several buttons to choose from! Here is the thread (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1130142#post1130142)

and here are our choices!!!!! Should we all have the same one or does it matter as long as it says Southeast baby oddball? If we all want the same, please place you vote for 1-4 left to right.

LBECK
07-17-2008, 07:49 AM
I would like to do yellow, but if you already have someone for that I would do brown.

Lisa sorry forgot to respond to what you said.... see I need to use the quote plus, like Sandy showed us...

You can start Cookies and Cream and mail it on in Aug. How many blankets do you want to be on?

Right now we have 4 blankets, Autumn Leaves, M&M's, Cookies and Cream, and Atlantic Waves. The M&M's has assigned colors so if you want a certain one let me know which one.

Does everyone that's starting a blanket have needles or needles on the way?

kellybigeyes
07-17-2008, 09:54 AM
Glad you are getting some yarn... I thought that someone would have some. What I do for buying yarn online is I don't buy just one skien. I look at what they have a just add a few to my stash. Also when I'm ordering some for other projects (like Christmas and such) I look for some that I think will be good for the oddball blankets.

Was it Red Heart Super Saver? I don't like that one either. Have you tried Red Heart Soft yarn? HUGE difference if not.

And Sandy thank you!

Oh and about the stitch, we can use something else. There wasn't one that I thought of over the others. And I don't want to do one that you don't like. What about this (http://www.knittingonthenet.com/stitches/diagonals.htm) Stitch?

It was Red Heart Super Saver... it is not soft at all. I went ahead and bought it, but now that Sandy (Thanks!!) has been so kind to send me some wonderful Caron SS... I will be taking it back. I don't like the feel of it on my skin and I sure hate to make a blanket with it that will be touching a baby's skin.

That is a great idea about buying extra yarn. Since I have only been knitting since Oct of 07, I haven't built up a stash yet. I just buy exactly what I need. I'm sure that will eventually change. :teehee:

I am using a really pretty stitch on a blanket right now. It is in the Knit and Purl book. It is called the Alternated Smooth Stitch and Tier. I tried to find a link but I couldn't. It is a simple 4 row repeat. 1-K, 2-P, 3-K, 4-K. I really like it and it's really easy.

Sometimes, depending on the pattern... I have problems remembering to bring my yarn to the front when purling. I am still not very good at going back and fixing my mistakes either.:shrug:

i really like the first one. But they are all very cute and I will use which ever one is chosen. I will have to have help on how to get them on there I think I have forgotten how to do that.lol

LBECK.... did you notice the most recent one. It is in a different post than the 4 pics. It is a baby in a cradle with a blue background. Check for that one if you haven't seen it yet. It is great!!

Howdovely
07-17-2008, 11:14 AM
That is a great idea about buying extra yarn. Since I have only been knitting since Oct of 07, I haven't built up a stash yet. I just buy exactly what I need. I'm sure that will eventually change. :teehee:

Oh boy.... you have no idea how much that will change....... be prepared........ it's scarey. My yarn, and I'm sure it's just mine, multiplies when I'm not looking. Really.

HollyP
07-17-2008, 12:24 PM
If no one else wants it I will take brown for M&Ms that way it is already here to be donated when done. I'd also love to do a border.
I was thinking( and I might be in the minority) that maybe we could let everyone choose their own pattern for this one since the colors are already assigned. I don't mind doing a set pattern though if that is what everyone else wants!

Shandeh, have you sent the yarn to Kelly yet? Because I am about to send her a needle and I have plenty of red to share! Let me know!

Kelly, www.joann.com (http://www.joann.com)has SS on sale all the time. I know it's on sale now! I think they also have free shipping when you spend x amount of money.

Momwolf, thanks again for the buttons. They are all amazing!!!:woot:

HollyP
07-17-2008, 12:31 PM
I forgot to post this a minute ago! I talked the coordinator again today and got the clarification we were looking for. The blankets can have yellow and green. She suggested just not starting or ending with them. That shouldn't be too hard!

kellybigeyes
07-17-2008, 01:33 PM
If no one else wants it I will take brown for M&Ms that way it is already here to be donated when done. I'd also love to do a border.

I was thinking( and I might be in the minority) that maybe we could let everyone choose their own pattern for this one since the colors are already assigned. I don't mind doing a set pattern though if that is what everyone else wants!

Kelly, www.joann.com (http://www.joann.com)has SS on sale all the time. I know it's on sale now! I think they also have free shipping when you spend x amount of money.

Hey HollyP...I am ok with everyone doing their own pattern also, if that's ok with everyone else. What color border did you have in mind for the blanket? Thanks for the tip about joann. I'll have to check that out. You and Sandy can decide who is sending the yarn. ;)

I meant to ask the other day... what pattern do you have picked out for Atlantic Waves? Just curious!

kellybigeyes
07-17-2008, 10:29 PM
Can HollyP or someone tell me how where I can get the button for the SE. I want the one that HollyP has. I know how to add it... I just don't know where to go to get it?

Thanks

momwolf
07-17-2008, 10:35 PM
Page 8

kellybigeyes
07-17-2008, 10:46 PM
What about page 8?:shrug:

momwolf
07-18-2008, 12:35 AM
Go to page 8 of SE and the button of the cradle is there for you to use.
Just click on it and save it to your computer.

Shandeh
07-18-2008, 01:26 AM
...now that Sandy (Thanks!!) has been so kind to send me some wonderful Caron SS... I will be taking it back.
Shandeh, have you sent the yarn to Kelly yet? Because I am about to send her a needle and I have plenty of red to share! Let me know!
You and Sandy can decide who is sending the yarn. ;)
HollyP, as I said on my private message to you, you are more than welcome to send the red yarn to Kelly in the package with the needles. Thanks so much! :hug:

I'll be sending some Caron Simply Soft yarn to MAmaDawn for our region. I'll also include some other soft yarns.
:thumbsup:

LBECK
07-18-2008, 08:00 AM
LBECK.... did you notice the most recent one. It is in a different post than the 4 pics. It is a baby in a cradle with a blue background. Check for that one if you haven't seen it yet. It is great!!

Yes, I noticed that it had changed and I still like it the best. Are we using that one or is everyone just using the one they want to use?

LBECK
07-18-2008, 08:05 AM
What about page 8?:shrug:

I got it from page 2 of this thread.

HollyP
07-18-2008, 08:57 AM
Thanks Shandeh! I did get your Pm. I decided to Pm after I posted to make sure you saw it. Sorry for the duplication.

Lisa (LBECK)- I wasn't sure if we were all doing the same or choosing our own. So I decided to take one and if everyone else decided on a different one I would change it. I just was really excited to put our button up!!!

Here is a link to the Feather and Fan pattern (http://knitting.about.com/od/stitchglossary/g/feather_fan.htm) in case anyone else is interested.

kellybigeyes
07-18-2008, 09:23 AM
I tried to copy it from the attachment, but I couldn't. I did highlight it and copied it from under HollyP's name... I saved it to the computer, but when I tried to add it. It told me that it was too big. PLEASE help. This is driving me crazy!!:hair:

MAmaDawn
07-18-2008, 09:37 AM
I would like to do yellow, but if you already have someone for that I would do brown.

Got you down for Yellow

It was Red Heart Super Saver... it is not soft at all. I went ahead and bought it, but now that Sandy (Thanks!!) has been so kind to send me some wonderful Caron SS... I will be taking it back. I don't like the feel of it on my skin and I sure hate to make a blanket with it that will be touching a baby's skin.

I am using a really pretty stitch on a blanket right now. It is in the Knit and Purl book. It is called the Alternated Smooth Stitch and Tier. I tried to find a link but I couldn't. It is a simple 4 row repeat. 1-K, 2-P, 3-K, 4-K. I really like it and it's really easy.

Sometimes, depending on the pattern... I have problems remembering to bring my yarn to the front when purling. I am still not very good at going back and fixing my mistakes either.:shrug:

Yes I'm sure your stash will grow! And We can help you if you need it, just let us know. And uf you are getting yo's when you don't want them, you can drop them off the next row and just knit or purl the next stitch a little tighter. That will pull the slack up. That pattern sounds similar to one I have used.

Momwolf, thanks again for the buttons. They are all amazing!!!:woot:

Thanks for sending her yarn, Holly. And I have you down for the brown section.

I forgot to post this a minute ago! I talked the coordinator again today and got the clarification we were looking for. The blankets can have yellow and green. She suggested just not starting or ending with them. That shouldn't be too hard!

That's great, thanks for getting that cleared up!

Can HollyP or someone tell me how where I can get the button for the SE. I want the one that HollyP has. I know how to add it... I just don't know where to go to get it?

Thanks

You can also use the one in her signature.

HollyP, as I said on my private message to you, you are more than welcome to send the red yarn to Kelly in the package with the needles. Thanks so much! :hug:

I'll be sending some Caron Simply Soft yarn to MAmaDawn for our region. I'll also include some other soft yarns.

Thank you Shandeh! I'm looking forward to getting it!

Yes, I noticed that it had changed and I still like it the best. Are we using that one or is everyone just using the one they want to use?

I think it will be cute to have different ones. The one you pick may catch someone's attention that the one I pick won't. May get more people coming over. What's everyone else thoughts?

I got it from page 2 of this thread.

It's on my page 2, also. I have it set to have the max amount of posts per page. That's what make the difference.

Shandeh, thank you for telling us about the Quote+ thing. I was very happy to be able to use that this time!

kellybigeyes
07-18-2008, 10:05 AM
This is soooo frustrating. I finally got the SE button added, but it deleted my Oddball Blanket button with the stork. Can someone PLEASE tell me how to fix it and keep all 3 buttons? I know it MUST be easier than this.:think: :whoosh:

momwolf
07-18-2008, 10:22 AM
Do you have Photobucket?

MAmaDawn
07-18-2008, 11:02 AM
If you don't have photobucket you can sign up for it. You can also use flicker and maybe pisca (the online part). (Shandeh can you use pisca?)

But in that box where you can wrote stuff for you signature. You add it as an image from one of the above websites. Photobucket has an line after it called IMG code. That's what you use, just click on it and it will copy it for you and then paste that in your sig box.

HTH!

momwolf
07-18-2008, 11:31 AM
Why does everyones button look blurry and small?I copied mine from Photobucket and added it to me signature and it doesn't look blurry see

kellybigeyes
07-18-2008, 02:58 PM
Do you have Photobucket?

I didn't have Photobucket... but I do now. :yay: Go ME!!!:woohoo:

Why does everyones button look blurry and small?I copied mine from Photobucket and added it to me signature and it doesn't look blurry see

When I just copied and pasted the picture to my computer (the first time)... when I went to upload it, I was told that it was too big. So, I had to shrink it so it would load. But when I uploaded the original pic to photobucket, it looks fine now.

If you don't have photobucket you can sign up for it. You can also use flicker and maybe pisca (the online part). (Shandeh can you use pisca?)

But in that box where you can wrote stuff for you signature. You add it as an image from one of the above websites. Photobucket has an line after it called IMG code. That's what you use, just click on it and it will copy it for you and then paste that in your sig box.

HTH!

Thanks so much MamaDawn... what would I do without you!?!?! You made it so simple for me to understand.
This is me before: :whoosh: :think: :shrug: :hair:

This is me during: Crossed Fingers :pray:

And this is me NOW: :figureditout: :woot: :yay: :woohoo: :happydance:

Sorry for all of the pictures. I am just so stinkin' excited!!! Thanks again. :muah:

kellybigeyes
07-18-2008, 03:14 PM
MamaDawn... I just wanted to check and see how far along we are on listing knitters for the blankets? Do you have a list compiled yet and will it be added to the blog? Thanks

momwolf
07-18-2008, 03:33 PM
Good job Kelly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shandeh
07-18-2008, 11:05 PM
Thanks Shandeh! I did get your Pm. I decided to Pm after I posted to make sure you saw it. Sorry for the duplication.
:hug:
Shandeh, thank you for telling us about the Quote+ thing. I was very happy to be able to use that this time!
You can also use flicker and maybe pisca (the online part). (Shandeh can you use pisca?)
Gosh, I don't know. :??

MAmaDawn
07-19-2008, 07:51 AM
Thanks so much MamaDawn... what would I do without you!?!?! You made it so simple for me to understand.
This is me before: :whoosh: :think: :shrug: :hair:

This is me during: Crossed Fingers :pray:

And this is me NOW: :figureditout: :woot: :yay: :woohoo: :happydance:

Sorry for all of the pictures. I am just so stinkin' excited!!! Thanks again. :muah:

So glad to help! Having a techie husbands works out great again. And I liked all the smilies! I'll post later how you can turn that pic into a link that will bring people to this thread!

MamaDawn... I just wanted to check and see how far along we are on listing knitters for the blankets? Do you have a list compiled yet and will it be added to the blog? Thanks

No I haven't gotten that yet, sorry. I have the list, just haven't had a chance to post it. Wed was my daughter's 6th birthday (that reminds me need to update my sig) and Thursday we went to an amusement park with 3 of her friends (that was interesting). And yesterday we all went swimming. But I will get it up today. sorry for the delay.

Now the blankets....

We need 5 knitters for Cookies and Cream and Autumn Leaves, 4 for Atlantic Waves, and 3 for M&m's (colors green, blue and orange). Autumn Leaves, Cookies and Cream and Atlantic Waves all need borders too.

I have not put myself down yet cuz I really don't have a preference as to wich I do, but will add myself to them. And these aren't starting until Aug, just wanted to try to get them all set to go. So who wants to knit what? :knitting:

MAmaDawn
07-19-2008, 09:16 AM
OK so if you want make the button a link to here this is what you do.

Go into your sig. Highlight where you have the IMG code. Then click the world pic (you can see it up here too) it says Insert Link. A window will pop up... copy paste this:

http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81358

And click ok. And save sig.

That's it.

I do love this type of message board, it's so much easier than others I have used!

HollyP
07-19-2008, 09:40 AM
Dawn, there is no need to apologize! In my humble opinion a child's birthday is more important than uploading a list. I've been skimming the other regions and it looks like we are aheadof the game. We have a ton of ideas, a place to donate, an enthusiastic group, and four blankets ready to be started. So don't stress too much!!!!!:hug:

What amusement park did you go to? I can't imaging taking a group of little girls! That must have been a handful! My mom, cousin, his wife, my brother, sil and I took a birthday party of 4 little boys to Busch Gardens for my cousin's( their son) birthday. My bro,sil, and I thought it would be a fun easy day of riding rides since it was only 4 boys. How hard could it be? Man were we wrong! We( the adults) had them outnumbered almost two to one and still were we exhausted at the end of the day. 2 years later my cousin's daughter wants the same party. I think I am busy that day:teehee:

MAmaDawn
07-19-2008, 11:49 AM
Thank you Holly, I wasn't stressed. And I am very happy about where we are too. I love our group!

We went to Kings Dominion. We have season passes and we get discount tickets for friends we bring with us.

It WAS a handful! Two of the girls wanted to always be about 20 feet ahead and 2 wanted to be 20 feet behind us. Keeping them together was quite exhausting. We did have a blast though! Our younger daughter was with us part of the day and we had them all holding hands and it was so cute watching them walk together. Wish I had my camera.

Shandeh
07-19-2008, 06:18 PM
No I haven't gotten that yet, sorry.........I will get it up today. sorry for the delay.
Dawn, there is no need to apologize!So don't stress too much!!!!!:hug:
I agree with HollyP 100% :wink:
No more apologies, Dawn. Just do what you can. That's what we'll all be doing. :)

We need 5 knitters for Cookies and Cream and Autumn Leaves.
Put me down as the last knitter on both of those. :thumbsup:
I should be ready to knit by then.

MAmaDawn
07-19-2008, 09:47 PM
OK no more apologizes... :hug::grphug:

And thank you Shandeh got you down for those 2, now.

kellybigeyes
07-19-2008, 10:49 PM
I was looking for a card to include with the M&M Blanket. And I realized, I have NO idea what kind of card to get. :shrug: I have never started a blanket before. I know there are certain things that we are supposed to refrain from saying. What kind of card do you recommend?

MAmaDawn
07-19-2008, 10:55 PM
I get packs of blank cards. You just don't want anything religious or anything like "Get Well soon".

This blanket was made with love. Hope you enjoy this blanket as much as we enjoyed making it. Things like that are good. And then just the name of the blanket and we can each sign it.

I also thought of another blanket, Diggers! (you know like bulldozers and stuff) I added it to the list that I have.

Shandeh
07-20-2008, 12:29 AM
I was looking for a card to include with the M&M Blanket. And I realized, I have NO idea what kind of card to get. :shrug: I have never started a blanket before. I know there are certain things that we are supposed to refrain from saying. What kind of card do you recommend?

I would look for a picture of the M&M guys, and print it out on a piece of paper. Then, I would glue it to the front of a blank card, and just write the name of the blanket in the card. Each person can sign it as they work on the blanket.

But that's just an idea. :wink:

misha rf
07-20-2008, 06:59 PM
I'll knit on any/all of them if you want. Put me in wherever you need a body. Just don't ask me to do borders, please! :rofl:

kellybigeyes
07-20-2008, 10:08 PM
I was reading some of the other threads tonight and came across the West Coast thread. They had a very good discussion going that I have not thought about. They were wanting to know which of the knitters were allergic to pets or smoke. This is just something to think about while planning for the blankets. It might be good to know who has pets and who smokes. They were talking about putting people that were allergic to pets or smoke on the front end of the blanket, so they don't come in contact with it. Anyway... I just wanted to mention that.

MAmaDawn
07-21-2008, 07:02 AM
I have a dog, I do not smoke.

I don't like the smell of smoke, but I'm not allergic.

MAmaDawn
07-21-2008, 07:09 AM
I'll knit on any/all of them if you want. Put me in wherever you need a body. Just don't ask me to do borders, please! :rofl:

Ok I placed you on all 4 blankets. (If that's too many please let me know) I did try to space them out so that you won't have all of them at once.

Howdovely
07-21-2008, 07:29 AM
I have a cat. I don't smoke.

HollyP
07-21-2008, 08:36 AM
I have 2 cats and a dog. I don't smoke.
I'm very very sensitive to smoke. I once got an oddball blanket that smelled of smoke and incense. I had to air it for a couple of days before I could get near it.

MamaDawn, I will do borders anywhere you need. But I don't want to take away from anyone else who wants to do one. Same with the blankets put me where you need me w/out leaving out some one else.

kellybigeyes
07-21-2008, 09:45 AM
I have no animals and we do not smoke. I agree with HollyP. I am very sensitive to smoke. It really bothers me.

Moxiemade
07-21-2008, 12:15 PM
SOOOO Sorry about piping in so late in the game. I got sorta distracted with life.

I quickly read through the 13 pages of this thread so forgive me if I've missed anything.

I have two small nearly hairless dogs. I don't smoke.

I'd be happy to knit on a blanket or two or three. Sign me up wherever you need me. As far as crocheting borders, I cant yet (baby steps!) but I can do an applied I-cord if needed.

I'd also be more than happy to start a blanket. I made a dishcloth yesterday and I ADORED the stitch. It's the butterfly stitch and I thought it'd be beautiful on a baby blanket. I even imagined a blanket called "Butterfly Kisses" with that stitch used throughout on the different knitters yarns. Just an idea. Here's an upclose pic of my dishcloth.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3270/2687826060_7b6ffa4867.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3128/2687013253_5b539ea9ef.jpg

Just let me know where I can help. I'll be out of town this Friday through Tuesday but can do whatever after that.

HollyP
07-21-2008, 12:19 PM
Carmen you are not late! We are technically not starting until August. Butterfly kisses is a great idea! I love it! What a pretty dishcloth.

LBECK
07-21-2008, 01:20 PM
Love that dishcloth.

I do not have pets. I do not smoke but my DH does. HollyP I have sent a blanket to you did it smell like smoke to you? I have taken them to work with me and asked the coworkers and they said that they didn't smell smoke. But I didn't know because I live in that house so I don't know if I would really notice it like someone else. If you did do you know of something I can do to make it not smell like smoke. Maybe spritz a little febreeze on it?

LBECK
07-21-2008, 01:21 PM
Oh, and I will work on Atlantic Waves and any other one that you want to put me on MAmaDawn. Just let me know.

MAmaDawn
07-21-2008, 02:19 PM
If it's coming to me please do NOT spray it with Frebreze.. That and lysol I do have issues with.

My husband used to smoke but not in the house. But letting it sit in the sun should air it out enough. Was that what you did Holly?

I have added you all now that have asked and tried to vary where you are at so you don't get all of them at once. I'll post a list of them later. I think we are just about covered now.

kellybigeyes
07-21-2008, 02:26 PM
MaMaDawn...I think you should have me down for Atlantic Waves and of the the M&M blanket since I am starting it. I would like to work on more if you need me too. But I would also like for everyone to have a chance. So just let me know.

kellybigeyes
07-21-2008, 02:28 PM
Moxiemade... I love the dishcloth. The stitch is beautiful!! I think it would be a great idea to do a blanket called "Butterfly Kisses". I think is would look wonderful if we did either pastel colors or maybe even bright colors.

LBECK
07-21-2008, 05:33 PM
I will not spray any of them that might not be a good idea as far as the hospital is concerned anyway. It was just that I didn't want to send it to anyone if it smells bad.

If it's coming to me please do NOT spray it with Frebreze.. That and lysol I do have issues with.

My husband used to smoke but not in the house. But letting it sit in the sun should air it out enough. Was that what you did Holly?

I have added you all now that have asked and tried to vary where you are at so you don't get all of them at once. I'll post a list of them later. I think we are just about covered now.

HollyP
07-21-2008, 05:54 PM
No Lisa, it wasn't you!

I agree we should probably refrain from spraying anything on the blankets for the babies' sake. I'm willing to wash them before I donate with unscented baby detergent. I don't have kids but my dog has really bad allergies and that is all I can use on his bedding with out causing him to break out in hives.

To air the blankets that I have gotten that smelled like smoke I put out on my clothes line during the day and let them sit overnight in my sunroom with the windows open. It seemed to get rid of the smell. I try to avoid using chemicals when ever I can due to my own and my dog's allergies. I sun/air a lot of things before trying anything else.

LBECK
07-21-2008, 05:58 PM
No Lisa, it wasn't you!

I agree we should probably refrain from spraying anything on the blankets for the babies' sake. I'm willing to wash them before I donate with unscented baby detergent. I don't have kids but my dog has really bad allergies and that is all I can use on his bedding with out causing him to break out in hives.

Good I was worried about that because I try no to knit for other people when he is smoking. Most of the time when I am knitting he is in bed. That is because it is after work between 8 and 11 pm. lol

LBECK
07-21-2008, 06:01 PM
I am not having any luck get my buttons to work. I can get one but I cannot manage to get more than that. I have tried to put them on flickr but I don't know what to do from there and I am dummy 101 about this kind of stuff.:verysad: :help:

MAmaDawn
07-21-2008, 08:42 PM
I will not spray any of them that might not be a good idea as far as the hospital is concerned anyway. It was just that I didn't want to send it to anyone if it smells bad.

That's a good point about not spraying them cuz of the babies too.

And I don't know how to get them up from flicker, I just don't know flicker. I've used it a few times but I don't know my log in or password anymore.

I don't know if you want to use photobucket, but I posted how to get it up from there.

I'm sure though someone can tell you how from flicker.

misha rf
07-21-2008, 08:46 PM
That works for me!

Also: We have cats, but I make a point of keeping any charity projects bagged. This is actually more for my sanity than anything else. (Not that they ever mess with my knitting, but it would be my luck that they'd pick one of these projects to eat.)

I'm also sensitive to smells. I've had to air out other blankets before I could work on them. (Which, in my house, means spreading it out in the closet so the cats can't get to it.)

Shandeh
07-21-2008, 09:13 PM
I am not having any luck get my buttons to work. I can get one but I cannot manage to get more than that. I have tried to put them on flickr but I don't know what to do from there and I am dummy 101 about this kind of stuff.:verysad: :help:

There is a link in my signature on "how to post photos". You can use the same procedure to add images to your signature.

I use Flickr all the time.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2296/2172902969_ebea45a81e_m.jpg

Howdovely
07-21-2008, 09:16 PM
There is a link in my signature on "how to post photos". You can use the same procedure to add images to your signature.

I know that girl who standing next to you! haha. What a great day that was!!!

Shandeh
07-21-2008, 09:24 PM
:heart: :muah: :heart:

LBECK
07-22-2008, 01:44 PM

Thank you, Sandy that was very helpful and as you can see I got it.:woot:

Lisa

Shandeh
07-23-2008, 04:49 AM
You GO girl! :thumbsup:

kellybigeyes
07-24-2008, 04:42 PM
MamaDawn... I just wanted to check and see if you had put me down for anymore blankets?

kellybigeyes
07-24-2008, 04:43 PM
Moxiemade... where did you find the butterfly stitch pattern?

HollyP
07-24-2008, 07:50 PM
Hi everyone! If anyone else needs a needle I still have 2. Just let me know.
Kelly- I found the butterfly stitch while going through some patterns I had printed a while ago, here (http://ribbedforyourpleasure.wordpress.com/2008/04/04/christmas-cloth-pattern/) is a link to a dishcloth using it. Enjoy!

Lisa- Way to go!

Moxiemade
07-24-2008, 08:51 PM
Yes, the link Holly posted was the pattern I used to make my cloth. :)

MAmaDawn
07-24-2008, 11:31 PM
OK here is the line up for our blankets...

Autumn Leaves
Me
HollyP
Kellybigeyes
Mish rf
(need a knitter here)
Shandeh
Border: Shandeh (is that ok? I can do it if not)

Cookies and Cream
LBECK
Moxiemade
Mishrf
MamaDawn
HollyP
Shandeh
Border: HollyP

Atlantic Waves
HollyP
Mish rf
LBECK
(need a knitter here)
Kellybigeyes
MamaDawn
Border: MamaDawn

M&M's
Kellybigeyes (red)
LBECK (yellow)
MamaDawn (Green)
Moxiemade (Blue)
Mish rf (Orange)
HollyP (brown)

Butterfly Kisses
Moxiemade
MamaDawn
HollyP
(need 2 knitters)
LBECK
Border: LBECK

I actually think having a few open slots for a little while will be ok, we have a few that will be able to knit on blankets later in the fall and I knew that the friends that I talked to and want to join wouldn't be able to see the site because of vacations and such for a little while. So I know that they will get filled. I think we are doing GREAT!

kellybigeyes
07-25-2008, 10:22 AM
MAmaDawn... I would really like to work on Butterfly Kisses also. If you want to take me off of Autumn Leaves and put me on Butterfly Kisses that would be great. I don't want to take up another spot. I can do both... but I would rather work on Butterfly Kisses. Just let me know what you decide to do. Thanks

OK here is the line up for our blankets...

Butterfly Kisses
Moxiemade
MamaDawn
HollyP
(need 2 knitters)
LBECK

MAmaDawn
07-25-2008, 12:56 PM
MAmaDawn... I would really like to work on Butterfly Kisses also. If you want to take me off of Autumn Leaves and put me on Butterfly Kisses that would be great. I don't want to take up another spot. I can do both... but I would rather work on Butterfly Kisses. Just let me know what you decide to do. Thanks

OK I changed you, you are right after HollyP on butterfly Kisses. So we need 1 knitter for butterfly kisses, and 2 for Autumn Leaves

kayrun
07-25-2008, 09:48 PM
I'd be happy to work on either Atlantic Waves or Autumn Leaves if there is still room....
Karen G
in GA
(one of those who has been on vacation & just getting caught up with the boards)
P.S. A dog lives here but this is a non-smoking house.

Shandeh
07-26-2008, 12:56 AM
Autumn Leaves
Border: Shandeh (is that ok? I can do it if not)

I would LOVE to do the border for the Autumn Leaves blanket. Autumn is my favorite season! :heart:

blkirback
07-29-2008, 06:46 PM
Hey everyone.

I hope I am not to late to maybe get in on this. I would like to get to help with a blanket. I was thinkink that maybe I could get in on the M&M's blanket if there are any spots still open. I would love to orange if it is not taken, it's one of my favorite colors, if it is any other one would work. I am rather new to knitting so I hope I hope a simple pattern for my spot is okay.

I will say that we don't have any pets here but that we are a smoking household. I can try my best to stay away from the smoke when working on it and will do everything in my power to not have it smell like smoke.

I really think it is a great idea that you guys have come up with doing this. I have a neice and nephew that were preemies and I wish someone would have done something nice for them like this.

kellybigeyes
07-29-2008, 07:57 PM
Hey everyone.

I hope I am not to late to maybe get in on this. I would like to get to help with a blanket. I was thinkink that maybe I could get in on the M&M's blanket if there are any spots still open. I would love to orange if it is not taken, it's one of my favorite colors, if it is any other one would work. I am rather new to knitting so I hope I hope a simple pattern for my spot is okay.

I will say that we don't have any pets here but that we are a smoking household. I can try my best to stay away from the smoke when working on it and will do everything in my power to not have it smell like smoke.

I really think it is a great idea that you guys have come up with doing this. I have a neice and nephew that were preemies and I wish someone would have done something nice for them like this.

Welcome to the forum. :hug: You are not too late at all. We are not really starting until August, but we are making the final decisions on everything. I believe that the M&M blanket is full, but I think there is a spot left in the Autumn Leaves blanket which you could still use orange. The Butterfly Kisses blanket and the Atlantic Waves blanket are going to have a certain pattern to go by. But you are welcome to work on those if you think you can. I have only been knitting since Oct of 2007, so I totally understand what it feels like to only what to do a simple pattern. It is perfectly fine to do what ever pattern you choose (as long as it is not a blanket that is using the same pattern). I used garter stitch (knit every row) on the first couple blankets I worked on. MAmaDawn is our director so she will have to make the final decision on the blankets. We are so glad to have you!! We are a wonderful group to work with...you'll see!!

blkirback
07-29-2008, 08:34 PM
Welcome to the forum. :hug: You are not too late at all. We are not really starting until August, but we are making the final decisions on everything. I believe that the M&M blanket is full, but I think there is a spot left in the Autumn Leaves blanket which you could still use orange. The Butterfly Kisses blanket and the Atlantic Waves blanket are going to have a certain pattern to go by. But you are welcome to work on those if you think you can. I have only been knitting since Oct of 2007, so I totally understand what it feels like to only what to do a simple pattern. It is perfectly fine to do what ever pattern you choose (as long as it is not a blanket that is using the same pattern). I used garter stitch (knit every row) on the first couple blankets I worked on. MAmaDawn is our director so she will have to make the final decision on the blankets. We are so glad to have you!! We are a wonderful group to work with...you'll see!!

Thank you very much. I wouldn't mind doing the autumn leaves blanket. I just know that I need to try and stay within the limits that I have. I have made one baby blanket but it was 24 blocks that I had to put together. I think it turned out rather nicely but I made it so I should think that.:wink:
I started knitting in June of last year but I stopped for awhile, I was carrying a really full schedual trying to finish my degree and had to focus on that. I just recently started back up and have been a knitting fool recently.
I think that this would be a great way for me to try and expand my horizins, or atleast I hope so.
I'm sure you guys are a wonderful group to work with, everything I have read makes me think that. Hopefully, I can fit it well...

HollyP
07-29-2008, 08:49 PM
Welcome blkirback !:waving: I'm so glad you decided to join us!!

To make it official all you have to do is send a PM to MAmadawn. You just to need to give her your name and address.
If you have any questions please ask away. As Kelly said we are a friendly bunch!

Moxiemade
07-29-2008, 09:22 PM
I think that this would be a great way for me to try and expand my horizins, or atleast I hope so.

I started doing oddball blankets a couple months ago, when I first started knitting. It was wonderful because it encouraged me to continue knitting and to learn new stitches. Plus, you can't beat the feeling you get knowing your work combined with others will touch little lives. I think you'll love it.

Shandeh
07-29-2008, 09:57 PM
Hi blkirback! :)

I'm sure that MAmaDawn will be glad to add you to our list of knitters. :thumbsup:

And our oddball blankets are a PERFECT project for beginning knitters, especially if you knit one of the middle sections. You don't have to cast on or bind off - all you have to do is add your yarn, knit your section, then mail it to the next knitter.

blkirback
07-29-2008, 11:12 PM
Hi blkirback! :)

I'm sure that MAmaDawn will be glad to add you to our list of knitters. :thumbsup:

And our oddball blankets are a PERFECT project for beginning knitters, especially if you knit one of the middle sections. You don't have to cast on or bind off - all you have to do is add your yarn, knit your section, then mail it to the next knitter.

That's one reason that I thought this would be good for me. I don't do too awful with casting on and binding off but I have attendency to make both really tight, I am working on that though or atleast attempting too!

I started doing oddball blankets a couple months ago, when I first started knitting. It was wonderful because it encouraged me to continue knitting and to learn new stitches. Plus, you can't beat the feeling you get knowing your work combined with others will touch little lives. I think you'll love it.

I think I will love it too. I want to be able to have my knitting make other people happy, it's on reason that I started doing it. I know a few stitches already and have been working on others. I thought this might help me to learn many many more.

Welcome blkirback !:waving: I'm so glad you decided to join us!!

To make it official all you have to do is send a PM to MAmadawn. You just to need to give her your name and address.
If you have any questions please ask away. As Kelly said we are a friendly bunch!

I already sent her one! I did that before I even posted in this. I wanted to make sure that there was still room available for me and to see exactly what it is that I would be doing. I'm sure I will have A LOT of question a long the way. Hopefully I won't be asking too many and bothering everyone. I really want to use this as a learning and growing experience.

LBECK
07-30-2008, 07:32 AM
Hey blkirback,

Welcome to our group. I am really new to the group and knitting. I have only been here about 2 or 3 months and I love love love it. I too like to make people happy with my knitting (and crocheting). I know you will enjoy doing this it is very rewarding work.

HollyP
07-30-2008, 11:52 AM
Hey everyone:hug:!
I have a question about which stitch pattern to use for Atlantic Waves. I've been on a dishcloth kick lately. Last night I finished a Garter stitch Chevron cloth and it really looked more like waves to me than feather and fan. I also knit a f&f for comparison. I should have done them both in the same yarn for a better side by side but... So what do you all think? The first one is Garter stitch chevron and the second it feather and fan.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3142/2717147514_4a26a614da_m.jpg it's hard to see in the picture but there are 5 garter rows between stockinette so it is rough then smooth. It really reminds me of waves crashing.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3197/2716333547_06e0df6ee5_m.jpg The feather and fan is also really pretty and wave like.
Both patterns look more difficult than they really are.
Any opinions?? Thanks!!

kayrun
07-30-2008, 12:21 PM
Holly, I like the first one also!
I've done that pattern before & it comes out really nice
& ocean-like :)
Karen G
in GA

kellybigeyes
07-30-2008, 01:02 PM
Holly... I like the first one also. Where did you get the pattern?

MAmaDawn
07-30-2008, 01:20 PM
I'd be happy to work on either Atlantic Waves or Autumn Leaves if there is still room....
Karen G
in GA
(one of those who has been on vacation & just getting caught up with the boards)
P.S. A dog lives here but this is a non-smoking house.

I've got you down for it now... sorry I missed your post before... thanks for the pm!

Hey everyone.

I hope I am not to late to maybe get in on this. I would like to get to help with a blanket...

I can try my best to stay away from the smoke when working on it and will do everything in my power to not have it smell like smoke.

Welcome! Glad to have you, I got your pm and I'll add you to the list on the blog.

One thing you might want to try to get rid of the smoke is to let it sit in the sun for a day or so.

Thank you very much. I wouldn't mind doing the autumn leaves blanket. I just know that I need to try and stay within the limits that I have. ...

Hopefully, I can fit it well...

I know you will, everyone brings a new part to the group and makes it better... and just do what you can! It's the fact that you are giving that important. And I have you down for Autumn leaves now. Orange is taken on M&M's but oragne will be perfect for Autumn Leaves.

Hey everyone:hug:!
I have a question about which stitch pattern to use for Atlantic Waves. I've been on a dishcloth kick lately. Last night I finished a Garter stitch Chevron cloth and it really looked more like waves to me than feather and fan. I also knit a f&f for comparison. I should have done them both in the same yarn for a better side by side but... So what do you all think? The first one is Garter stitch chevron and the second it feather and fan.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3142/2717147514_4a26a614da_m.jpg it's hard to see in the picture but there are 5 garter rows between stockinette so it is rough then smooth. It really reminds me of waves crashing.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3197/2716333547_06e0df6ee5_m.jpg The feather and fan is also really pretty and wave like.
Any opinions?? Thanks!!

I like the first one better too!

kellybigeyes
07-30-2008, 01:21 PM
I cast on for the M&M blanket last night... and I just sat down to work on it for a bit... and I realized something...

I have never cast on for a blanket and I need to know...

Do I need to knit 3 rows first before starting my pattern?

kellybigeyes
07-30-2008, 01:28 PM
Nevermind... I went back and read a past post by Sandy....

"You will need to knit every stitch for the first 3 to 6 rows to make a nice garter stitch border."

SO... I answered my own questions!! LOL:figureditout:

kellybigeyes
07-30-2008, 01:32 PM
Here (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=79558) is the link that I found that information. I think everyone should refresh their memory (if needed) about knitting on the blankets. If you decide to look over this information, please make sure that you start with the first post. They may be backwards depending on you settings. I hope this helps. I will be reading them in greater detail this afternoon.

MAmaDawn
07-30-2008, 01:32 PM
We also have a new Ravelry knitter! Welcome iheartmystash!

Here is an updated list of our blankets:

Autumn Leaves
Me
HollyP
iheartmystash (ravelry)
Mish rf
blkirback
Shandeh
Border: Shandeh

Cookies and Cream
LBECK
Moxiemade
Mishrf
MamaDawn
Shandeh
HollyP

Atlantic Waves
HollyP
Mish rf
LBECK
Kayrun
Kellybigeyes
MamaDawn
Border: MamaDawn

M&M's
Kellybigeyes (red)
LBECK (yellow)
MamaDawn (Green)
Moxiemade (Blue)
Mish rf (Orange)
HollyP (brown)

Butterfly Kisses
Moxiemade
MamaDawn
HollyP
kellybigeyes
(need 1 knitters)
LBECK

So we have filled 4 blankets and the fifth one only needs one more knitter! YAY! You all are awesome! And all the borders are covered, too!

kellybigeyes
07-30-2008, 01:36 PM
I'm sure I will have A LOT of question a long the way. Hopefully I won't be asking too many and bothering everyone. I really want to use this as a learning and growing experience.

Trust me... you CAN'T ask too many questions. I am ALWAYS asking questions. :teehee: That is how we learn from one another. People have asked questions before and I was going to ask the same questions. So feel free anytime to ask.

kellybigeyes
07-30-2008, 01:38 PM
MAmaDawn... I think you were supposed to put me on the Butterfly Kisses blanket. Just wanted to check on that.

Thanks

MAmaDawn
07-30-2008, 01:39 PM
Kelly is right, you can't ask too many questions. We all have had lots in the beginning. Ask away! And you never know someone might be reading along that's not knitting with us and the answer to a question you ask might make them realize that they CAN to it!

kellybigeyes
07-30-2008, 01:39 PM
OK I changed you, you are right after HollyP on butterfly Kisses. So we need 1 knitter for butterfly kisses, and 2 for Autumn Leaves

Here is the post... I should be after HollyP.

MAmaDawn
07-30-2008, 02:01 PM
I'm sorry I cut and pasted it from before, and forgot to change that, but that is how I had i in my spreadsheet and just forgot to change that one. Thanks for catching that!

HollyP
07-30-2008, 03:26 PM
OK I'll start with the garter stitch chevron! Thanks helping me decide!

Dawn- Please take me off any of the blankets if you need to make room for new people. I'm really flexible!

Kelly- I don't know where I got the pattern. I tend to save patterns on my computer and print them out when I need/want them. I'll see if I can find it.

MAmaDawn
07-30-2008, 03:37 PM
OK so I'm subscribed to this thread and I got an email with your post Holly and all I saw at first was " Dawn- Please take me off any of the blankets" and I thought Oh no, what wrong... then I read the rest... **sigh** I will keep that in mind Holly.

And if you are on too many let me know. It's ok to say I've put you on too many!

LBECK
07-30-2008, 05:23 PM

I like both of them very much. I hope they are not too difficult I am still very new to patterns. But, I am improving every project.

Moxiemade
07-30-2008, 07:13 PM
Just out of curiosity, when do these blankets start? Also, are these preemie or regular baby blankets? Sorry if the answer is on this thread, but I can't seem to find it.

HollyP
07-30-2008, 07:21 PM
Dawn- Sorry, I didn't mean to make you worry!:hug: I'm not going anywhere! I love being a part of these wonderful blankets. I just want to be sure that all the new people have a chance to knit too!
I will be sure to let you know if it is too much. I had 5 blankets at once recently and didn't think it was too much

Lisa- the stitches involved are: K2tog (knit 2 together),KFB( knit into the front and back of a stitch) and SKP (slip one, knit one and pass slip stitch over). (Not all on the same stitch). Don't worry, there are videos here for each of these direction if you need more help. I'm sure you can do it!

kellybigeyes
07-30-2008, 07:24 PM
Just out of curiosity, when do these blankets start? Also, are these preemie or regular baby blankets? Sorry if the answer is on this thread, but I can't seem to find it.

We are technically starting in August. I am starting the M&M blanket and I cast on a couple days ago. I think some of the others are not going to start until next week. To my knowledge, these are only regular baby blankets. I think we may add the preemie blankets later on. Hope this helps.

HollyP
07-30-2008, 07:25 PM
They are regular sized blankets for now. I don't think we have said a specific start date. We are starting in August so I guess in 2 days.:woot:

Moxiemade
07-30-2008, 08:17 PM
Okay great, thanks!

MAmaDawn
07-30-2008, 09:22 PM
Thank you guys for answering her questions. And LBECK I know you can do it! If you need any help you can ask on here or in the help questions section.

blkirback
07-30-2008, 10:40 PM
Okay, so I have a question already.

I went to buy some yarn today and I know that there is a list of yarns that are okay, I just wanted to know is there a specific yarn that we are using on the blanket or do we just use on off of the list?
I just want to make sure that I do this right and don't mess up on my first one.

kellybigeyes
07-30-2008, 10:55 PM
Okay, so I have a question already.

I went to buy some yarn today and I know that there is a list of yarns that are okay, I just wanted to know is there a specific yarn that we are using on the blanket or do we just use on off of the list?
I just want to make sure that I do this right and don't mess up on my first one.

No, you can use any yarn as long as it is 100% acrylic. Just make sure that it fits into the color scheme and you are good to go!! I hope this helps.

LBECK
07-31-2008, 07:29 AM
Thank you guys for answering her questions. And LBECK I know you can do it! If you need any help you can ask on here or in the help questions section.

Lisa- the stitches involved are: K2tog (knit 2 together),KFB( knit into the front and back of a stitch) and SKP (slip one, knit one and pass slip stitch over). (Not all on the same stitch). Don't worry, there are videos here for each of these direction if you need more help. I'm sure you can do it!

Thank you guys so much. Thank you HollyP for putting the stitches out there so I will know what I am up against. I think I have used all of these before so I should be good to go.

Shandeh
07-31-2008, 08:52 PM
No, you can use any yarn as long as it is 100% acrylic. Just make sure that it fits into the color scheme and you are good to go!! I hope this helps.
The list of yarns I made was based on trying different yarns with our baby blankets. The hospital we were working with requested 100% acrylic, and they wanted the yarn to be SOFT. So, that's why we chose those specific yarns.

MAmaDawn might have different guidelines now, depending on the needs of the hospital or other organization that will receive the blankets.

But, I think we can safely assume they would want the yarn to be soft, if it's for babies. Red Heart Super Saver would probably NOT work well, since it's not really that soft.

But, this is just my opinion. MAmaDawn will tell you for sure.

HollyP
08-01-2008, 12:48 AM
As far as the yarn goes Shandeh is completely right. The coordinator stressed soft and washable. If you find a yarn that fits that criteria go for it. I do think we should stick to acrylics for the easiest care. The hospital will be washing everything in hot water. I recently knit a cotton baby blanket and it was a piling and fading nightmare once I washed it.

MAmaDawn
08-01-2008, 07:36 AM
The only new thing was the colors, she requested not starting or ending with yellow or green, it can make some of the children look sicker.

Moxiemade
08-01-2008, 11:00 AM
I was reading over the Oddball blanket guidelines and I sort of got worried. Butterfly Kisses sort of breaks some rules. It isn't really reversible, and has slipped stitches, is that going to be a problem?

MAmaDawn
08-01-2008, 11:09 AM
Really I think it will be ok. What's everyone else's thoughts?

Moxiemade
08-01-2008, 11:12 AM
The explaination given to avoid slipped stitches was that it tended to pull the blanket inward. For this blanket the slipped stitches are all over and it gives the blanket a puffy-ish appearance, which is nice and cuddly, IMO. As far as reversible I guess it depends on taste.

Shandeh
08-01-2008, 11:26 AM
I'm sure it will be fine, as long as everyone does the same stitch. :thumbsup: This will make it consistent from start to finish.

If all else fails, one of us can add a fabric backing when it's complete. I'd be willing to do that on my sewing machine at home.

Moxiemade
08-01-2008, 11:35 AM
Thanks, I feel better now. Sandy, it's completely up to you if you want to do the backing, how nice of you to offer. I personally think it looks fine with the purl stitch back, but that's just me.

HollyP
08-01-2008, 12:20 PM
I couldn't sleep last night so I knit. Here is Atlantic Waves. I used Caron simply soft brites in blue berry. http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3137/2722948536_33a06a44df.jpghttp://farm4.static.flickr.com/3086/2722126103_3ebc848f8c_m.jpg

Moxiemade
08-01-2008, 12:29 PM
Fancy schmancy!! That's beautiful!

MAmaDawn
08-01-2008, 12:37 PM
That looks great!

Shandeh
08-01-2008, 01:16 PM
So pretty! :inlove:

Thanks, I feel better now. Sandy, it's completely up to you if you want to do the backing, how nice of you to offer. I personally think it looks fine with the purl stitch back, but that's just me.
Let's see how it turns out. When the blanket is almost done, we can all make our decision then. Just let me know! :)

kellybigeyes
08-01-2008, 02:09 PM
Holly... I love Atlantic Waves. It's beautiful!!:yay:

blkirback
08-01-2008, 05:37 PM
That looks great. I want to be able to knit that good!

misha rf
08-01-2008, 10:14 PM
That's pretty!!! :inlove: And I just realized I get it when you're done! Woo! :woohoo:

kellybigeyes
08-01-2008, 11:50 PM
Lisa (LBECK)... According, to the forum and the blog, you are next for the M&M blanket (yellow). I should have it ready to mail on Monday. YEAH!!! :woohoo: If you will PM me your address, I'll get it to you soon.

Thanks

MAmaDawn
08-02-2008, 09:34 AM
Wow y'all are fast!

kellybigeyes
08-02-2008, 09:42 AM
Wow y'all are fast!

:teehee: I have been working on it for a few days!! I will post a picture soon. MAma Dawn... if you want to PM me Lisa's address that would be fine too. :muah:

Moxiemade
08-02-2008, 12:03 PM
This is the first oddball I've started and I'm a pretty newbie knitter so forgive me for the incessant questions. I don't feel worthy, lol!

I had cast on (Butterfly Kisses) with 103 stitches and knit most of the first section but I then decided to rip and redo with 113. With the puffy design of the blanket, 103 stiches only comes out about 19" wide. Comparing it to the preemie blanket I have here it's the same size. 113 stitches should make it about 22". That sound okay?

Here's my main question. I was trying to get the repeats even for each knitter and it looks like that will make each section just under 5". We can do that or I can shorten it where each knitter knits 1.5 repeats and it'll come out about 3.5", but it may seem a little uneven and short. So which would you all rather? 3.5" per section (about 23" total length) or 4.75ish" per section (about 30" total length)?

Thanks!

PS- the stitch looks beautiful on a baby blanket. Making me drool! Someone must get pregnant right this very minute so I can knit this for their gift!

HollyP
08-03-2008, 09:11 AM
This is the first oddball I've started and I'm a pretty newbie knitter so forgive me for the incessant questions. I don't feel worthy, lol!

I had cast on (Butterfly Kisses) with 103 stitches and knit most of the first section but I then decided to rip and redo with 113. With the puffy design of the blanket, 103 stiches only comes out about 19" wide. Comparing it to the preemie blanket I have here it's the same size. 113 stitches should make it about 22". That sound okay?

Here's my main question. I was trying to get the repeats even for each knitter and it looks like that will make each section just under 5". We can do that or I can shorten it where each knitter knits 1.5 repeats and it'll come out about 3.5", but it may seem a little uneven and short. So which would you all rather? 3.5" per section (about 23" total length) or 4.75ish" per section (about 30" total length)?

Hi. I'm leaning towards the longer blanket. I agree that 23 inches seems short. Part of what I like about the hospital we are donating to is they don't have specific size guidelines. I know whatever size the blanket ends up being will be used!

LBECK
08-03-2008, 09:25 AM
Hi. I'm leaning towards the longer blanket. I agree that 23 inches seems short. Part of what I like about the hospital we are donating to is they don't have specific size guidelines. I know whatever size the blanket ends up being will be used!

Agreed.

Moxiemade
08-03-2008, 12:46 PM
Okay, I made it longer.

Butterfly Kisses is ready for the next knitter. Here's my section done in Caron's Simply Soft in light blue. I just have to transfer to different needles and it's ready to go:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3184/2728866262_b9af076b33_o.jpg

Seperate each knitters section by a garter ridge (knit the last row on the wrong side) or let the pattern flow?

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3034/2728039871_72d0005bf5.jpg?v=0

HollyP
08-03-2008, 03:27 PM
Let the pattern flow!!! It's gorgeous! :inlove::inlove::inlove: The color changes will indicate the change in knitters.

kellybigeyes
08-03-2008, 04:16 PM
I say let it flow also. It is beautiful!!

MAmaDawn
08-03-2008, 05:03 PM
Thank you for keeping the blankets going guys! And I agree with both that y'all said.

You are working so well on these!:thumbsup:

Shandeh
08-03-2008, 09:14 PM
What a beautiful design! It looks like a puffy quilt. cloud9

kellybigeyes
08-04-2008, 01:49 PM
Hello Everyone!! I have the confirmation number for the M&M Blanket. It was mailed off to LBECK today. The conf. # is

0308 0070 0002 1949 9945

I could not find a card that I liked, so I took Sandy's tip and made one of my own. I hope you all like it!!

Here are a couple pictures...

Red is such a hard color to take a picture of. But I think you get the idea!!

Let me know what you all think!!

blkirback
08-04-2008, 01:54 PM
All of the blankets look so good. I can't wait till I can work on one.

LBECK
08-04-2008, 01:55 PM
Hello Everyone!! I have the confirmation number for the M&M Blanket. It was mailed off to LBECK today. The conf. # is

0308 0070 0002 1949 9945

I could not find a card that I liked, so I took Sandy's tip and made one of my own. I hope you all like it!!

Here are a couple pictures...

Red is such a hard color to take a picture of. But I think you get the idea!!

Let me know what you all think!!

I like the card. I will be looking for M&M to come my way soon. Thanks.

HollyP
08-04-2008, 03:27 PM
Atlantic waves was sent today too! The delivery confirmation is in my car. I'll post it if need be.

ETA: Kelly- looks great! The card is cute-way to go!

MAmaDawn
08-05-2008, 09:04 AM
M&M's looks great and I like the card, very cute!

lizardknits
08-05-2008, 10:50 AM
mama dawn
I am interested in joining the butterfly kisses blanket knitters

MAmaDawn
08-05-2008, 01:04 PM
Welcome lizardknits! Just pm me your address and you will be all set up! I have you down after kellybigeyes on Butterfly Kisses.

All of our blankets are filled! :woohoo:Why don't we plan some more... we won't have to cast on for these right now, but just plan who's knitting on what and all...

So here are a few ideas that everyone had... Little Boy Blue, Diagonal Rainbow, Lemon Drops and Gum drops, Chocolate Mint, Blue Ridge Mountains, Skittles, and Puddin'. I can list more if you all want... and we don't have to set all these up now...

blkirback
08-05-2008, 02:32 PM
I had an idea for a blanket, All That Glitters. It could maybe have some stars and diamonds on it, something else that looks like it glitters. Maybe do it in some like pinks and purples and some bright pinks and purples. I don't know, it just sounded good in my head is all.

MAmaDawn
08-05-2008, 02:34 PM
I had an idea for a blanket, All That Glitters. It could maybe have some stars and diamonds on it, something else that looks like it glitters. Maybe do it in some like pinks and purples and some bright pinks and purples. I don't know, it just sounded good in my head is all.

That sounds cute! I'll add it, we can use it in the next set or later.

Moxiemade
08-05-2008, 03:49 PM
M&M looks great!!

I love the glitter and glam idea. Cute!

Are you looking more for names of potential blankets or themes? You have some fantastic ideas already, too. I love the idea of a diagonal.

An idea I had for a pattern-throughout blanket was a ballband (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/ballband-dishcloth)type with a single-color base throughout and bright colors (or pastels, or whatever the theme) for the bricks in each section. we could call it Baby Blocks or something (cant think of a good name), I dunno.

Excuse me for all my dishcloth examples. It's just that is where I find the coolest patterns.

I love the looks of the blankets with repeating patterns, but I also love the mixed ones too.

I'd be happy to start another blanket whenever is needed.

MAmaDawn
08-05-2008, 04:47 PM
Those were some of the ideas that everyone posted before, not all mine, in fact most of them weren't. I was just listing some ideas to see what everyone would like to set up for.

MAmaDawn
08-05-2008, 04:51 PM
Sorry posted before I was done. I like Ballband idea too... I've never made on of those.

I'm wondering if we should limit how many ones we do at a time that have assigned patterns... I know that they can be intimidating for new knitters. What are your thoughts, everyone?

kellybigeyes
08-05-2008, 04:54 PM
Sorry posted fro I was done. I like Ballband idea too... I've never made on of those.

I'm wondering if we should limit how many ones we do at a time that have assigned patterns... I know that they can be intimidating for new knitters. What are your thoughts, everyone?

I agree. I think it would be ok to do a couple, but then let's have others that we can use the stitch of our choice.

MAmaDawn
08-05-2008, 05:04 PM
I forgot about this... I was thinking it would be nice for each of us to post what things we like to knit, types of yarns we like and dislike (or are allergic to), knitting items that we use a lot (like stitch markers, row counters), and anything non-knitting we want to include. I was thinking about this for the extra little things we can send. PLEASE, don't think that you have to. I don't want this to make anyone feel pressured. I was thinking what I was going to send with Autumn Leaves and the other blankets I have that that I would like to know what everyone likes. Some LOVE novelty yarn others don't... just things like that.

What are you thoughts? Ideas of stuff for each to post? Should we do it as a questionaire or just let eveyone post it on their own. IF (and we don't have to at all) do this do y'all mind it being on our blog so everyone can easily access it when they need to?

blkirback
08-05-2008, 05:06 PM
Some patterns intimmidate me, so I would be very hesitant about doing one. I like to knit and try new things, but I would rather mess up one of my own projects then one that everyone else has worked on.

If there is atleast one that I can do something simple on I am good.

Moxiemade
08-05-2008, 05:36 PM
I think that no matter the pattern (or lack of), any blanket made by us will be treasured for years to come. I love the look of the oddball ones, because each section does tell its very own story. The blankets with patterns throughout are nice too because they give a certain oneness to the blanket that pulls everyone in. Either way I don't think we can go wrong.

kellybigeyes
08-05-2008, 05:56 PM
MAmaDawn... I LOVE the idea of doing a questionaire. I was thinking the same thing the other day. It is so hard to know what to send, because we don't know what everone likes. I think it would be better to do it as a questionaire instead of people just doing it on their own. And the reason I say this... is because someone else may think of something that I haven't. If it were to be written in question form, then we would see it right there and it would not slip our minds. (or my mind at least :eyes: LOL) I would be more than happy to fill out something like that, and I don't have a problem at all with it being on the blog. (I'm really getting into this blog thing, I started one not too long ago and I am loving it!) Just my two cents!!

kellybigeyes
08-05-2008, 05:58 PM

I LOVE this idea!! I think is a beautiful idea!

HollyP
08-05-2008, 08:56 PM
I think we will be OK as long as we make sure we don't have all assigned patterns. Like if we have 5/6 blankets going only having 2 w/ assigned pattern so that the people who are not comfortable doing them have other choices.

What are you thoughts? Ideas of stuff for each to post? Should we do it as a questionaire or just let eveyone post it on their own. IF (and we don't have to at all) do this do y'all mind it being on our blog so everyone can easily access it when they need to?

Great idea! Having everyone's likes and dislikes on the blog would make it much easier when sending. A simple questionnaire might be good.

I think that no matter the pattern (or lack of), any blanket made by us will be treasured for years to come. I love the look of the oddball ones, because each section does tell its very own story. The blankets with patterns throughout are nice too because they give a certain oneness to the blanket that pulls everyone in. Either way I don't think we can go wrong.
Agree 100%!

Love the glitter and glam idea!
quote plus is fun!! :yay:

LBECK
08-06-2008, 07:56 AM
I like the questionaire thing. It will be fine with me to post on the blog.

Limiting assigned patterns is a good idea. This is coming from a newbie who is ready to attempt new but still timid about it.

MAmaDawn, you can put me on any of those blankets that you have listed. I like them all so I don't have preference. I will start one if you want me to also. Just let me know when and which one.

I also, like the Glitter and Glam idea and Baby Blocks is a good name for a blanket.

HollyP
08-06-2008, 12:51 PM
Hey Southeast!:hug:
I just wanted to let you all know that I am going out of town late this afternoon until Sunday afternoon/night. I may or may not have internet access. If any blankets need to be sent to me go ahead and send them. I'll work on them the minute I get home!

MAmaDawn
08-06-2008, 12:55 PM
Thank you for letting us know Holly, hope you enjoy your trip!

LBECK
08-06-2008, 06:22 PM
Cookies & Cream went out to Moxiemade today. The confirmation number is 0308 0070 0001 1386 7765

Hope you enjoy it.

There is a spot where I think I tried to fix a mistake and it has a small loop. If you know how to fix that after the fact please feel free to help me out. I didn't know how to fix it and didn't notice until I had finished. Sorry.

Shandeh
08-06-2008, 09:03 PM
I agree. One of the things I love about our oddball projects is that they are perfect for beginning knitters....especially if they knit one of the sections in the middle. They don't have to cast on or bind off - they just add their yarn and start knitting. And garter stitch looks good with everything.
I forgot about this... I was thinking it would be nice for each of us to post what things we like to knit, types of yarns we like and dislike (or are allergic to), knitting items that we use a lot (like stitch markers, row counters), and anything non-knitting we want to include.
Good plan. I have a wish list on my website, and lots of people like to refer to that when they want to send me something. :wink:
I'd be willing to fill out a questionnaire. I think we should include a section where we can write in simple things we like, that might not be knitting-related. For example, I like to get old magazines, because I can't afford to subscribe to many of them. It's cool to get them in the mail from friends. cloud9
Love the card! :thumbsup:

MAmaDawn
08-06-2008, 10:11 PM
OK so some of the Questions... PLEASE add ones you think of and we can all answer it when everyone has had a chance to add ones. (You don't have to...)

What is you favorite fiber?

What fibers do you not like?

Are there any yarn types you don't like? (eyelash, etc)

What weight yarn do you prefer?

Is there a weight yarn you don't like?

What do you like to knit? (sock, scarves, hats, afghans, etc)

What knitting accessories do you like or use a lot? Not like or not use?

What non-knitting things do you like?

Are you allergic to anything, knitting or non-knitting?

MAmaDawn
08-06-2008, 11:27 PM
Favorite color?

LBECK
08-07-2008, 07:43 AM
Favorite fragrance?
example: I like anything vanilla, pumpkin spice, melon, wild honeysuckle, or gingerbread.

such as: candles, lotions, fresheners, etc.

kellybigeyes
08-07-2008, 09:55 AM
Are we supposed to be filling this out now or just thinking of new questions and then filling it out later? Just wanted to check and see.

MAmaDawn
08-07-2008, 10:34 AM
Just thinking of questions right now....

blkirback
08-07-2008, 10:54 AM
What about a favorite store to shop in? I was think if someone didn't know what to get a gift card is always nice.

kellybigeyes
08-07-2008, 12:18 PM
LBECK... I saw that the blanket should have been delivered. I just wanted to make sure that you got it.

Thanks

misha rf
08-07-2008, 01:30 PM
Atlantic Waves arrived yesterday! It's so pretty!! I tried posting, but something went wonky & the site wouldn't load. I'm planning on starting it today or tomorrow.

LBECK
08-07-2008, 05:09 PM
LBECK... I saw that the blanket should have been delivered. I just wanted to make sure that you got it.

Thanks

I don't know yet I haven't been home from work I will let you know tomorrow.

misha rf
08-08-2008, 10:41 AM
I'm almost done with Atlantic Waves--I can most likely mail it tomorrow. Who's next??

MAmaDawn
08-08-2008, 10:55 AM
Wow that was FAST! I'm checking with the next knitter.

Shandeh
08-08-2008, 03:20 PM
GO Southeast! :cheering:

misha rf
08-08-2008, 06:36 PM
It's done! I took pics. Now, where's that camera cord... :rofl:

HollyP
08-10-2008, 06:24 PM
Hey everyone I'm back from my mini vacation!
Misha that was fast! Where are those pictures??:tap::teehee:

LBECK
08-10-2008, 08:42 PM
I am almost done with the yellow on M&M blanket. MAmaDawn if you will send me an address I will send it on it's way one day next week.

MAmaDawn
08-10-2008, 09:20 PM
I want to let you all know that this next week my dh is out of town and the kids have been with their Grandparents for a week, and they SPOIL THEM! So if I'm not around it's because their adjusting it's taking a lot of time. Just wanted to let you know.

Welcome back Holly!

Lisa, I'm next so I'll send you my address now...