PDA

View Full Version : Can I use wool with this pattern?

audradh
07-12-2008, 04:06 AM
Hi you yarn junkies,
I found a cute toddler jacket pattern knit in organic cotton. I'm thinking I'd like to try this in wool for the winter. Will it work to substitute or am I better off finding a pattern intended for wool?

If wool is fine what should I be looking at to make sure I'm substituting an appropriate weight wool. I still have to rely on the helpful souls at the LYS to help me match the yarn weight to my pattern:wink: (In fact I have a bunch of great yarn and always end up buying new yarn to make things because I can't make sense of it in my mind!) The pattern uses an organic cotton (1.75 oz./50 g (82 yd/75 m.)

Here's the pattern:

http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/70260A.html?noImages=0

Thanks!

Knit4Pie
07-12-2008, 07:43 AM
I would **think** that you just need to make sure you have the right weight (worsted/aran weight). Most times, it's written on the label whether it's worsted, chunky(bulky), or whatever you might need.

knitgal
07-12-2008, 08:46 AM
I think you could definitely make it in wool! You would want to get a yarn of the same weight (in this case worsted weight) and make a swatch to ensure your gauge is the same. The pattern's gauge is 20 stitches and 40 rows= 4 inches so 5 stitches per inch. As long as you achieve that gauge with your yarn, your pattern will turn out the size you want it to.

cam90066
07-12-2008, 11:08 AM
You can certainly make it in wool but make sure you purchase yarn that can handle whatever care methods you intend to do. Esp given it's a child's sweater. Some wools will shrink/felt if washed. You might want to go with a blend which would give you more care options. And make sure you do a swatch (with the care method) to ascertain if any sizing adjustments need to be made.

cam