PDA

View Full Version : Aspie Blog

knitpurlgurl
07-22-2008, 08:57 AM
For any of you following my posts about my Asperger's Syndrome child.. I've created a blog to chronicle our journey. If you are interested, please check it out!

http://alifeextraordinary.blogspot.com/

cindycactus
07-22-2008, 10:32 AM
I just passed your Blog site on to my granddaughter. She has a little girl with Autism. God Bless you. Your family is dealing with so much. Hang in there. :hug:

Tropicflower24
07-22-2008, 10:44 AM
PMed ya Karrie~

kristaj
07-23-2008, 01:45 AM
Wow! What a great blog. You are so right, a school district is only as good as its special ed dept is. I am not a sp. ed. teacher, but I have always loved teaching the special ed kids who come through my classroom every year, especially the autism kids. They will always hold a very important place in my heart. I'm glad you have found a doc who advocates the GFCF diet. I have had a few students on this diet and I saw major improvements in each of them. I hope it works well for Brian.

knitpurlgurl
07-23-2008, 08:56 AM
Wow! What a great blog. You are so right, a school district is only as good as its special ed dept is. I am not a sp. ed. teacher, but I have always loved teaching the special ed kids who come through my classroom every year, especially the autism kids. They will always hold a very important place in my heart. I'm glad you have found a doc who advocates the GFCF diet. I have had a few students on this diet and I saw major improvements in each of them. I hope it works well for Brian.

I wish there were more teachers like you in this world... Brian had 1 teacher at this last school that was a gem: patient, stern when needed, loving, and really a unique understanding of LD kids. Unfortunately, there were so many in the school that did not share her opinions, so we got no where. Keep teaching and doing what you're doing. You have no idea what a positive influence it is on these kids. Brian still corresponds with her. He'll never forget her. :sun:

Ingrid
07-23-2008, 09:51 AM
You get the biggest round of applause:cheering::cheering::cheering::cheering::c heering::cheering::cheering:. So many parents don't find out about the disorder or advocate for their children.

My experience at my school with the Asperger's kids has been positive and interesting. One of them told me about his trials with misdiagnosis, hospitalizations, over-medication issues, etc., until one doctor in his last (psych) hospitalization realized that he just had Aspergers. He got off all the wrong drugs and got proper therapy and now is just a fantastic kid. With quirks.:shrug:We all have them.:thumbsup:

Hang in there. You got Brian for a reason.:muah:

knitpurlgurl
07-23-2008, 07:27 PM
Hang in there. You got Brian for a reason.:muah:

I just have to say, "THANKS!" You just really made my day. :)

knitpurlgurl
07-30-2008, 10:14 AM
I have posted Brian's Video on my Aspie Blog. It is about 3 1/2 minutes long.. if you get a chance, please take a peak: (It's at the very bottom of the page)http://alifeextraordinary.blogspot.com/

Ingrid
07-30-2008, 12:39 PM
I have been following your posts religiously, though I haven't figured out how to post a reply. Just want you to know that I'm thrilled that there a kids around who will play with Brian and understand how to handle his differences.:heart:

kristaj
07-30-2008, 02:20 PM
I have been following your posts religiously, though I haven't figured out how to post a reply.

Same here. I too had tears in my eyes when he was playing with others. That is Awesome! I hope things went well with his new pediatrician today. :hug:

knitpurlgurl
07-31-2008, 10:12 AM
Thanks for following my post, ladies!! Blogging really helps me to vent quite a bit. The visit with the pediatrician went really well, thanks for asking!! :)

Lindsey H
08-05-2008, 11:13 AM
I'm going to your blog right now. Ds Ben is an Aspie.

Mariblue
08-05-2008, 11:31 AM
What a great blog, thanks for being willing to share this! Boy do I understand what you meant about the parents with neurotypical kids giving parenting advice. I've been there, and have really had to suck it up and keep a polite face on.
I've got a really great gfcf bread recipe I could pm you if you're interested. I've been cooking gf for the past 5 years or so for my whole family. I've also got a corn bread recipe, if your son eats corn, that is really good. :hug:
P.S. There is a gf group (http://www.ravelry.com/groups/gluten-free-knitters) on ravelry, as well, if you're interested.

cindycactus
08-05-2008, 02:02 PM
He is a beautiful little boy. He is so lucky to have you for a parent. Someone who will fight for him. God Bless you. :hug:

Lindsey H
08-05-2008, 06:25 PM
In regards to parents of neurotypical children, the O.A.S.I.S book has a wonderful idea. Some parents actually made up some business-size cards made which stated something like this:
My child has been diagnosed with Aspergers Syndrome. For more information go to (web address here).
I wish I had heard of this back when Ben was younger and having terrible melt-downs in stores. I would have loved to have just been able to look those people in the eye and give them a card explaining my son's behavior. Of course I did not handle the melt-downs well at all and we did not even have a dx yet. Over time we have learned what to do and the best part is we are doing what the oasis book recommends.
Thank you to the teachers that replied. We homeschool but I love hearing from people who love our children. We have some great friends at church who look out for our boy and love him dearly.

knitpurlgurl
08-06-2008, 10:24 PM
YES PLEASE!!!! :)

What a great blog, thanks for being willing to share this! Boy do I understand what you meant about the parents with neurotypical kids giving parenting advice. I've been there, and have really had to suck it up and keep a polite face on.
I've got a really great gfcf bread recipe I could pm you if you're interested. I've been cooking gf for the past 5 years or so for my whole family. I've also got a corn bread recipe, if your son eats corn, that is really good. :hug:
P.S. There is a gf group (http://www.ravelry.com/groups/gluten-free-knitters) on ravelry, as well, if you're interested.