PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one on this planet that thinks Blueberries don't have any taste?

bailsmom
07-28-2008, 04:15 PM
DH went blueberry picking on Sat and I took the pup for her walk at the park. Didn't have time to do both together. So when I went to pick him up he had this huge bag (it's just the 2 of us) and I had a few and said once again as I've said for the past 5 years or so, "These don't taste like anything at all."

He just looks at me like I have a deer on my head and says, "Yes they do!" Am I just weird or did I lose my blueberry taste buds? Yes, I am weird, but is this normal? You know how a strawberry tastes like a strawberry and a raspberry tastes like a raspberry and a grape like a grape, but a blueberry, well, it has no taste to me.

Am I the only one? :shrug:

Ingrid
07-28-2008, 04:24 PM
:?? I find that blueberries don't have the same taste as "blueberry-flavored" stuff, but if they're ripe, they're sweet, at least.

ETA - Grape flavored stuff doesn't taste like grapes, either. They taste purple, not grapey.;)

Mike
07-28-2008, 04:46 PM
I only managed to get a few blueberries before the plants died but they had taste. I guess I don't think much of blueberry flavor because I can't place the flavor of blueberry yogurt even though I've had it a lot.

I've only had hybrid raspberries taste like raspberry, wild ones are bland. I've never had a grape that tasted like grape.

Debbie
07-28-2008, 05:02 PM
Buleberries are yummy !

stitchwitch
07-28-2008, 05:39 PM
In all fairness, I think it depends upon the blueberry. I've had some that left me unamused.
There's a place by us that is somewhat like a co-op, they have the absolute best blueberries (sweet, flavorful, juicy) and we've gotten ten pounds of them from there over the past two months, we've eaten over five pounds already. I'm afraid of turning into Violet Beauregard!:roflhard:

cdjack
07-28-2008, 06:19 PM
I agree with Stitchwitch. Very good blueberries are delicious and I can never find enough things to put them in or on. However, bad blueberries or blueberries that aren't ripe enough can be rather bland and somewhat mealy. I usually have to go to the Central Market or Whole Foods to get really good ones.

newamy
07-28-2008, 06:56 PM
I don't really like blue berries. I've never thought they were very sweet, and I suppose the description of lacking taste is almost right. But perhaps I have never had really good ones.

Actually I don't really like strawberries unless they are very ripe and sweet and then I only eat 1 or 2 and then in a fruit salad or something, not by itself and I much prefer them all sugared up.
I think raspberries are too tart.
I think blackberries are tart too but not as bad as raspberries.
So Actually I don't like berries much at all--why??? I did not grow up in the Willamette valley where I now live which is bursting with berries. My parents did not feed us fresh berries. I've alway looked upon berries with suspicion. I didn't eat jam growing up either and while I occasionally have it with certain things I am a bit mistrustful of that too, though I can't say I dislike it.

My daughter loves all kinds on berries as does my husband, but my son is suspicious of berries too.

sugarfunpouch
07-28-2008, 07:14 PM
I remember my great grandma and I always ate blueberries with sugar, it gave them a lot more flavor. Just like stick the blueberry on a toothpick and roll it around in a little sugar! Yum ;)

rachael72knitter
07-28-2008, 07:29 PM
They have flavor when you put them in pancakes, muffins, or pie!

mks22300
07-28-2008, 07:30 PM
I agree with everyone else who said it depends on how ripe they are and the better they taste. I'm thinking that I want to make some blueberry muffins or pie now with all this blueberry talk! :teehee:

stitchwitch
07-28-2008, 07:43 PM
Blueberry compote for over pancakes or ice cream

1/4 c sugar
1/4 c water
1 1/4 tsp lemon juice
2 cups blueberries
Stir water, sugar and juice on low until dissolved. Add berries and boil for about two minutes, reduce heat and simmer until thickened.
(I add about 1/2 tsp of corn starch mixed with water to the mix to thicken it up a little more)

Pour over pancakes or icecream!!:clink:

Plantgoddess+
07-28-2008, 07:59 PM
I think the wild blueberries have more flavor than commercially grown ones and depending on the cultivated variety you can have a wide range of flavor. The very best flavor though is huckleberry and even though they only grow in the wild there is quite a range of color, flavor, and bush size.

bailsmom
07-28-2008, 09:24 PM
Well, they are ripe because they have the powder color on them and they are quite plump. They aren't sour or bitter, and not overly sweet (to me anyway). I don't know how to explain it any better than that. Maybe I'll try the dipping in sugar suggestion and see if that makes a difference.

I don't think they taste gross or anything, just lacking a blueberry flavor. We do go to a blueberry farm too so it's not like it's a wild blueberry or anything. Who knows!

Bring on the recipes people!! DH is looking to make something new this year with all of his blueberries. And he's going back next weekend for more. Oy vey. :teehee:

stitchwitch
07-28-2008, 09:49 PM
Oh man, you're in for it now! I have a ton of blueberry recipes!! I will not be held responsible for expanding waistlines. :roflhard:

Blueberry Buckle (odd name, great little cake, kind of like a coffee cake)
1/4 cup butter softened
3/4 cups sugar
1 egg
2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup milk
2 cups fresh blueberries
Topping
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/3 cup cold butter

In small mixing bowl cream butter and sugar. Beat in the egg. Combine flour, baking powder and salt, add to creamed mixture alternating with milk. Fold in blueberries. Pour into greased 9 inch square baking pan.
For topping, combine sugar, flour and cinnamon in a bowl, cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over blueberry batter. Bake at 375 for 40-45 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.

vaknitter
07-28-2008, 10:05 PM
HMM - I guess everyones taste buds are different but seriously - you don't LOVE blueberries? I drag the hubby blueberry picking every year and we eat blueberry pancakes, blueberry muffins, blueberry shortcake - all made from scratch of course..and there are still a few left over to just plain ole eat.
Maybe you could have a tastebud transplant ??

Jan in CA
07-28-2008, 10:35 PM
Mmmm blueberries! I think everyone's taste buds are different so maybe yours don't have the sensitivity to taste blueberries? They don't have a strong flavor really. I love them in vanilla yogurt or pancakes!

suzeeq
07-28-2008, 10:57 PM
Huckleberries, oh yum! And you're right in the middle of where lots of them grow. I prefer them to blueberries, even good blueberries. Huckleberries are larger and tarter and very good.

rachael72knitter
07-28-2008, 11:20 PM
I was so inspired that I bought blueberries tonight to put on top of my fruit pizza. I can't wait!

Debkcs
07-29-2008, 02:43 AM
I have five quarts of blueberry pie filling on my kitchen table, a blueberry pie on the counter, and enough blueberries to make a bunch of blueberry marmalade and to freeze. Maybe you just got hold of some older ones?

My DH and I love them. Two year old Kate calls them "Bouys"! :heart: She'd rather eat 'bouys' then any other fruit or sweet.

GinnyG
07-29-2008, 09:15 AM
I love blueberries!:heart:

MMario
07-29-2008, 09:21 AM
If the farm irrigates their bushes that could be - in wet years , or when irrigated, blueberries tend to have less flavour. Berries in general as well....

bailsmom
07-29-2008, 11:43 AM
Mmmm blueberries! I think everyone's taste buds are different so maybe yours don't have the sensitivity to taste blueberries? They don't have a strong flavor really. I love them in vanilla yogurt or pancakes!

This is what my husband thinks too. He says my taste buds are screwed up. :teehee: So I'm kind of wondering if he's partly right. But really, it's not only this years crop, last years and the year before is when we started to pick our own and to be honest I didn't eat blueberries before we started going to the pick your own farms. Maybe I had a bad batch when I was younger or something because I haven't eaten a blueberry in years before DH took me to the farm.

So, no, I don't love blueberries, but I'm eating them because they are good for you. They just don't taste like a berry to me. I just keep saying at least they aren't gross so I am eating them! Maybe I should seek out treatment for a tastebud transplant. :rofl:

MMario
07-29-2008, 12:25 PM
well - the probably wouldn't taste like a berry to most people.

Blueberries actually are a berry; but most of the things people think of as berries are not berries.
A tomato is a berry, but strawberries, raspberries and blackberries are not berries. *grin* botanical terms and food terms are often wildly different.

dmknits
07-29-2008, 01:40 PM
A while back I bought blueberries and used them in pancakes and muffins. I couldn't taste them much (or at all), so I haven't bought any since.

knitasha
07-29-2008, 01:53 PM
It's not you. Most commercially grown blueberries, including those at pick-it-yourself farms, are bred for size and, in some cases, sweetness. If they're ripe they may taste sweet but there's not much of a distinctive flavor. They're better with a drop of lemon juice as well as extra sugar.

The island where we spend summer vacations (Long Island, near the ocean) is loaded with wild blueberry bushes that are just coming into season. If you can get to the ripe berries before the birds and the kids do, they're a wonderful treat -- tiny, more tart than sweet and full of rich, almost winy flavor. I've never been able to gather enough for a pie, but half a cupful takes care of breakfast, either on cereal or in pancakes.

Krystal
07-29-2008, 03:15 PM
seems I am the only one here who thinks they are super gross. haha.

I can't stomach the smell or taste of them... We bake blueberry muffins at work and it makes me feel nauseated just smelling them.

I do LOVE raspberries though, and blackberries.

cdjack
07-29-2008, 06:05 PM
This really has nothing to do with blueberries, but I just read this article and immediately thought of this thread:

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/manitoba/story/2008/07/28/sasquatch.html

:p

stitchwitch
07-29-2008, 07:02 PM
This really has nothing to do with blueberries, but I just read this article and immediately thought of this thread:

I guess I shouldn't have cancelled my spa appointment to go berry picking. Calling me sasquatch though was a little rude. :teehee:

cdjack
07-29-2008, 07:27 PM
I guess I shouldn't have cancelled my spa appointment to go berry picking. Calling me sasquatch though was a little rude. :teehee:

:roflhard:

No, really, I'm sure the sasquatch didn't want to scare those woman, he just didn't want them taking his blueberries.

Puddinpop
07-29-2008, 09:49 PM
I like them on pound cake. They are yummy. My uncle grew huge ones in Florida. I like them in muffins, also.

bjc1050
07-30-2008, 02:44 PM
IMHO, the blueberries that come from New Jersey are the BEST. I only buy the ones that are packed in Hammonton, NJ. Must say that area is where I spent many summers and my aunt and uncle had wooded areas where I could pick LOTS of them. Love blueberries.

knitgal
07-30-2008, 03:15 PM

Okay, first of all I love that you found this!

Second, these women had the right idea. Blueberries picked in Northern Ontario are famous and probably the best I have ever had. They aren't the "farmed" ones. They're tiny and taste absolutely wonderful. They're also very expensive. They're sold at stands all along the side of the highway going up north and you will pay a pretty penny to get a taste of those berries!

ArtLady1981
08-01-2008, 04:12 PM
I think some do, some don't. The frozen/[artially thawed blueberries my brother put on our vanilla ice cream last week DID NOT have any flavor nor sweetness.

However, the blueberry pie I ate at a restaurant DID have a lot of blueberry flavor.

Maybe it has to do with ripeness, freshness, and species/type.
There are wild blueberries, cultivated blueberries, teeny blueberries, and large blueberries.

Our blueberries are very flavorful and sweet. Just have one bush that we cherish and relish!

Our blueberries, on ripening, are about the size of a plump green pea. No bigger.