PDA

View Full Version : It's Too Hot

kristaj
07-28-2008, 06:34 PM
I have to whine for a minute. I can't take this heat wave anymore. I just looked at the temp and it is 108. I have to take my DS to tennis lessons tonight and all I can think is that it will be too hot to knit and too expensive to run the car for AC. I'm also wondering how many kids are going to pass out from heat exhaustion because it won't be any cooler at 7:00.

figaro
07-28-2008, 06:39 PM
:hot: I am sorry, I hate it when it is that hot. Are the lessons outside? If so, I would be inclined to skip it for the night and sit outside in the sprinkler in the shade.

Tropicflower24
07-28-2008, 07:01 PM
Well, honestly, I aggree with Figaro.

I used to take cold showers for eco reasons..... but this summer is our first summer without AC (in almost my entire life... I know, I am spoiled.) and man, those cold showers feel GOOD at night. :)

rachael72knitter
07-28-2008, 07:27 PM
I live in Houston so I feel you.

How we survive in Tx-
Central A/C
Don't go outside
ceiling fan in every room
iced tea
don't turn on the oven, if you must bake, use a slow cooker
sit still for as long as possible; knitting is good for this

cdjack
07-28-2008, 07:46 PM
It was 106 here today. It's 110 in Wichita Falls where my dh's family live. Oh how I wish it would rain...

davespurl
07-28-2008, 08:18 PM
I feel for you. I hate that kind of heat! I think 108 is too hot for outdoor sports of any kind, don't you?

Wanda Witch
07-28-2008, 09:00 PM
:zombie: I detest the weather in the northern part of Texas - we live in the Dallas area - and even though the 'natives' think a certain degree of humidity is not uncomfortable it about kills me. It is now about 101-degrees, almost 8:00 this evening and it just goes on into the wee hours of the a.m. I pray for an EARLY fall. Winter? YES!! I don't want to do one thing but just sit even though we have two a/c's running full bore at 74-degrees something sort of seeps its way into the house. Ugh. :zombie:

Doublereeder2
07-28-2008, 09:26 PM
I'm right here in Richardson in the midst of the heat too (sweat, sweat).

Jan in CA
07-28-2008, 10:37 PM
Ugh, that's nasty! Stay in a/c when you find it and I find that putting my feet in cold water really helps, too.

jdee
07-28-2008, 11:37 PM
I'm in Texas, too, and I completely feel your pain. I planted some herbs in pots this spring, and now they're dying. But I just don't have the energy to go out in the heat and tend to them.

rachael72knitter
07-29-2008, 01:17 AM
I'm in Texas, too, and I completely feel your pain. I planted some herbs in pots this spring, and now they're dying. But I just don't have the energy to go out in the heat and tend to them.

We haven't been getting enough rain. I have been needing to water my basil everyday or else it gets droopy.

Debkcs
07-29-2008, 02:48 AM
What I remember most about the weather in Texas was going from the air conditioned house to the air conditioned car to the air conditioned store. That, and getting out of the shower and having to dry off after drying off.

Like Oregon a lot more~

Hope you can all stay cool!

cdjack
07-29-2008, 08:44 AM
At least it's not so humid up here where I am (outside of Denton).
Even though I grew up there, I can only take Houston's humidity now in small doses.

kristaj
07-29-2008, 11:47 AM
DS survived tennis lessons, but he was a zombie the rest of the evening and didn't complain once about going to bed. It was also the first time he completely drained his huge water bottle. It starts all over today though except no tennis. Not supposed to be any let up in the 100 degree weather for quite a while. We do actually have a chance for rain here today though, woohoo :woohoo: Its a little too late for our yard though. It looks like we are in the depths of winter. Not many places besides the desert where your lawn looks greener in winter than it does in summer.

Wanda Witch
07-29-2008, 08:54 PM
What I remember most about the weather in Texas was going from the air conditioned house to the air conditioned car to the air conditioned store. That, and getting out of the shower and having to dry off after drying off.

Like Oregon a lot more~

Hope you can all stay cool!

OMG, I do detest that. I have a fan in my bathroom, aimed right at me, but as soon as I am dry, put on my robe, etc., I am wet again. Aaaaaarrrrrrrgggggh. As an old friend in Vegas used to say, "by August you are a little bit mean." Man, was he right. I am mean now, and Christmas is as long way off. Stay cool, knitters, drink tea, lemonade, water and well whatever quenches your thrist......:wink:

Wanda Witch
07-29-2008, 08:56 PM

I hate that. Love plants and detest seeing them wither on the vine. :grrr:

Wanda Witch
07-29-2008, 08:57 PM
DS survived tennis lessons, but he was a zombie the rest of the evening and didn't complain once about going to bed. It was also the first time he completely drained his huge water bottle. It starts all over today though except no tennis. Not supposed to be any let up in the 100 degree weather for quite a while. We do actually have a chance for rain here today though, woohoo :woohoo: Its a little too late for our yard though. It looks like we are in the depths of winter. Not many places besides the desert where your lawn looks greener in winter than it does in summer.

Yup, you're right. Greener in winter than in summer. :roflhard:

jdee
07-30-2008, 03:21 AM
We haven't been getting enough rain. I have been needing to water my basil everyday or else it gets droopy.

It's so true. I feed water my outdoor cats (the ones that are too scared to come indoors) everyday, and I've noticed that it takes a while for the water from the hose to run cool. I use this time to water my pots. But weeding? In this heat, forget it. :teehee:

Knitting_Guy
07-30-2008, 10:12 PM
I'm in Weatherford, TX tonight, heading for Abilene in the morning, and yep it is a tad warm here. Even this old Florida boy was chugging down the Gatorade today while outside working.

cdjack
07-30-2008, 10:51 PM
yeah, but today ,thanks to some clouds, it was only 100 today. Down right chilly... It was 106 yesterday.

Doublereeder2
08-01-2008, 07:57 AM
And projected to have even more days over 100+ degrees. Ugh.

bookbabe
08-10-2008, 08:59 PM
I've finally given up on my garden. Seems like I can't water it enough no matter how much! so I'll try again in a few weeks if/ when this heat ever breaks...sigh..this summer has been a rough one....

Hygiene Mama
08-11-2008, 12:05 AM
If there's anything I can't handle, it's the heat! I feel for you! It's been beautiful here in Northern MN, 75-80 degrees. I like it about 68. Anyways, hope it cools off there soon!

Puddinpop
08-11-2008, 09:58 AM
It's been hot in Alabama but, Saturday morning it was 67 degrees and wonderful. I can't wait till the fall now, since I got a preview Saturday.:woot:

Jaxhil
08-11-2008, 10:06 AM
Wow, it's been hot here, but I am grateful that this part of Texas doesn't get quite as hot. Here (near Bandera, TX) it's in the hill country, so it has been a bit cooler than the Dallas area-only in the high 90's (I can't believe I said ONLY :teehee:).

I HATE the heat and I used to live in outside Dallas, for a couple of years, and I couldn't figure out why Dallas always got so much hotter than San Antonio (where I'm from). UGH. Anyway, heat STINKS!

I am jealous of people who get to experience a real fall and winter every year! (read, Sandy in Northern MN~ LOL!)

Debra Michelle
08-11-2008, 08:47 PM
I'll do a house swap with someone! ;) Up here in Maine it's been 15 degrees below normal (80)-- today it reached 65 -- woo!! I'm longing for some hot weather!!
But I agree, the heat would get old after I was warmed up for a couple of weeks. :)