PDA

View Full Version : male chemo patient knitted gift

stitchwitch
07-29-2008, 12:39 PM
A very good friend of ours has just been diagnosed with a leukemia type of blood disease and will be going through chemo and a bone marrow transplant soon. He'll be in a bone marrow transplant facility for 60 days and then in rehab at home for several months, etc.
I know the chemo cap item but I was wondering since you all are so good with stuff like this what I can knit for him that would be masculine and something he'd be able to use while at the facility or at home recouping? I'm not entirely sure a chemo cap would be used. I need some ideas. Thanks!!!

Carole2
07-29-2008, 12:45 PM
Make the Chemo Cap! Does not have to be pink! Put a pom-pom on top and just make it fun. Another thought would be a blanket-light enought to carry - I have a great pattern for one crocheted with angels all over it - might be a bit much - but one would sure work - just to let him know you are 'watching over him'.

Go for it!

knitasha
07-29-2008, 01:32 PM
Socks.
Felted slippers.
A hat would be fine if he usually wears them.

My gut feeling is that a person with a life-threatening illness would rather get a "normal" gift that lets them know you care without reminding them that they're sick every time they look at it.
I used to work with the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, and patients often said they wanted to live as normally as possible under the circumstances.

CognizantAmiga
07-29-2008, 01:57 PM
My Daddy (who passed away almost a year ago) had cancer. Through 2 years of radiation and chemo his hair got thicker (my uncle's did as well!) He did stay cold a lot, however. My suggestion would be to go with an afghan or socks.

May God be with your friend!

vaknitter
07-29-2008, 09:28 PM
Most of my patients that go through such things say all the drugs make them feel very cold. Maybe a fun pair of socks to show off to everyone and/or a lapghan to toss over his lap while sitting to read.