PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

Tropicflower24
07-31-2008, 08:44 PM
I am making my mom a pair of gloves..... BUT I didn't realize that gloss wasn't superwash *at* the time I bought it. There is another yarn rec. for that pattern, and it's Essential by KP. I mean, I love the color on this yarn, but my mom is a country girl. It's pushing it to make her lace gloves. I don't now if I want to make]somethnig that could accidentally be felted. I know we'd both be heartbroken (even if mom doesn't wear it all the time, she loves the things I make her. :heart: )

Should I use the sock yarn for SOCKS and by super wash for her gloves?

Jan in CA
07-31-2008, 08:46 PM
I would think socks would be even worse since they are washed every time they are worn where gloves don't need it nearly as often. Especially lace ones since they aren't "working" gloves. :shrug:

Plantgoddess+
07-31-2008, 09:43 PM
I agree with Jan. I've made mittens for my x-country skiing friends and they were hand washable. They are still using them 5 years later with no problems. They only get worn once or twice a week for a few hours and only need washing once or so a season. It's easy to do.

Crycket
07-31-2008, 10:25 PM
I third the motion...

I think I made my gloves out of something not superwash from KP...and I think I only washed them once last winter....

Azlynn
07-31-2008, 10:31 PM
I bought 6 hanks (2 of 3 different colors) of their gloss yarn not realizing it wasn't machine washable! I still haven't figured out what to do with it, because I can't imagine anyone wanting socks that they can't machine wash. I'm going to make a pair of Kimono Socks (http://www.knitscene.com/issue/Fall-2008-Projects.asp#kimono) out of one color just because, but I still haven't figured out what to do with the rest. And the worst of it is that 2 hanks are brown. I don't even know what I was thinking! lol

I agree with Jan, though. Gloves are probably more sensible than socks, and even for a "country girl," everyone needs something pretty and girly once in a while. She'll just have to keep them in a special place to make sure they don't get thrown in the wash :) Can't wait to see the FO picture!

Mirl56
08-01-2008, 06:34 AM
I agree - it'll be much easier to remember to handwash the pretty lacy gloves then a pair of socks. Those socks will walk themselves into a regular wash load when you're not looking!

Tropicflower24
08-01-2008, 04:12 PM
Whoa, just want to make sure everyone realizes I meant she was a country girl.... not *just* a country girl. My mom is the sweetest person I know, and I don't want anyone to think I'm demeaning her.

But I decided just to let the cat out of the bag and tell her, and she said she loved the gloves, but she would be more likely to wear them if they were machine washable. So I'm gonna get some Essential Kettledyed in Auburn, and she loved that color, so that's what I'll make it in.

Thanks for all the aadvice!!

I do think I'm gonna just practice with the yarn, not actaully make anything to wear with it. :)

kaidyddd
08-01-2008, 04:35 PM
Does it felt? Could make a felted bag to go with the gloves? Or a felted bag for yourself or someone else? That would be fun. I'm not familiar with the yarn, but if it's thin you could double it to make a bag sturdier.