PDA

View Full Version : Knitting in Public: I Love Getting Stared At

Arielluria
08-01-2008, 10:28 AM
I was at a Dr.'s waiting room yesterday and when I take out my knitting (especially if it's on DPNs) people look at me like I have 2 heads or something. A lady was trying to seem as if she wasn't looking, I caught her eye and I said, "it's OK, I'm used to people staring", she smiled and said "I'm just amazed that you can do that with 4 needles and without looking" :teehee: so we had a short conversation and it seemed like others were dying to opine as well but were shy.

I think it's cute when they stare. I think if I ever walk into a waiting room and find another knitter or a crocheter, I'll just faint out of surprise!:thud:

Spending time here I seem to think everyone in the world knits and then when I go out into the real world I find out they don't.
:teehee:

MMario
08-01-2008, 10:42 AM
I knit in public a lot - and very few people react at all.

knitgal
08-01-2008, 10:46 AM
I knit in public sometimes. At the doctor's office I get a lot of looks and smiles as I don't think most people are used to seeing a 22 year old knitting. I had one woman approach me while I was knitting a very easy ribbed hat in the round and tell me she tried to knit but never could.
I also overheard an older lady in the ER commenting to her husband in surprise that I was knitting a beautiful scarf and "pretty fast too". I was so flattered.
One thing I think is funny is that people seem to think it's perfectly fine to touch whatever you're knitting. I don't mind, but I can see how others might!

Arielluria
08-01-2008, 10:47 AM
That's great. I guess it depends on where you live too. I don't consider the staring a bad reaction, I chuckle at it. I hear some (men mostly) get some downright rude comments.

The.Knitter
08-01-2008, 10:55 AM
When I am going to KIP, I usually wear my t-shirt that says "Knit or Go Home" and I get laughs from that. I also notice that people won't look directly at you when you are knitting, they sneak peeks! Let them. I am proud of my knitting abilities!

Agata
08-01-2008, 11:15 AM
I enjoyed this post. As a working mother of 2 toddlers I try to squeeze in knitting where ever I can.... in the car, at the doctors office, at my desk with my kniting on my lap and my chair pushed in, basically anytime I feel like I am idle... I also like it when people watch and ask questions it make me feel like I am a member of an elite and ancient club.

MMario
08-01-2008, 11:37 AM
"One thing I think is funny is that people seem to think it's perfectly fine to touch whatever you're knitting"

*grin* I remember giving a lace shawl to someone - and when she saw what was in the package her response was "you take it out, I'm not touching that; I'd ruin it!"

susi
08-01-2008, 11:45 AM
"One thing I think is funny is that people seem to think it's perfectly fine to touch whatever you're knitting"

*grin* I remember giving a lace shawl to someone - and when she saw what was in the package her response was "you take it out, I'm not touching that; I'd ruin it!"
lol, thats priceless. people dont get it sometimes that what we do is very practicle and useable do they.

i knitted for the first time in public last week, i got some really funny looks. it was abnother case of OMG whats a 26 year old doing with needles. i was in a kids play area on a ferry.

i'm very self consious of people looking at me, so drawing attention to myself with knitting is a no go usually for me. i thought in a kids play area with no other adults id be ok.

Knitting_Guy
08-01-2008, 11:47 AM
I get lots of looks and comments. Most people do ask my permission before touching my work though.

I was in a little honky tonk in Texarkana last night and one youngish guy commented that with my size and tattoos I just didn't fit the stereotype of a knitter. :rofl: I considered that a great compliment.

Jan in CA
08-01-2008, 11:48 AM
I notice the sneak peeking more from young to middle aged women, the older ones will sometimes comment and kids just stare outright. :teehee:

HollyP
08-01-2008, 11:56 AM
I laugh at the sneak peeks! I get them all the time. I was sitting in a Drs office a few month ago and a little girl was staring and her dad was sneaking looks. I guess people see some one knitting and they expect to see gray hair and arthritis. I'm only 29. Hopefully the gray hair and arthritis will stay away for awhile:teehee:

KnittinMitchie
08-01-2008, 12:35 PM
Yesterday was our weekly trip to speech class with my 3 yr old. Now We have been going since November '07 so those who are back in the speech area KNOW I knit. Well yesterday hubby was off from work and I did have a crochet project but didnt feel like working on it. And wouldn't you believe it the one guy who work in the speech dept. actually asked me WHY I wasn't working on something. LOL I told him cause I had hubby to keep entertained. He laughed and went on down th hall.

Crycket
08-01-2008, 12:49 PM
I find that KIP brings forth curiosity....

Different everywhere...On the subway: it brought chatty ppl...on the streetcar: starers, at work: surprized comments (surprized like in "I don't knit, that is amazing" from customers, not surprized as in, "OMG you are allowed to do that here!")

I find it also depends on what you are knitting...DPNs bring a lot of awe, most ppl think it looks complicated....

MAmaDawn
08-01-2008, 01:13 PM
I find it also depends on what you are knitting...DPNs bring a lot of awe, most ppl think it looks complicated....

Ha ha, knitters secret that it's not! :teehee:

Abbily
08-01-2008, 01:19 PM
I love KIP too. I get most of my knitting done at my kids' events (gymnastics class, ballet class...). I think kids are the best, they will usually just walk up and ask what you're doing. Then the parents sneak-listen in. :) I knit in my sunday school class too, and it seems I've drawn out several other knitters in my class who had never brought their knitting with them until they saw me do it.

KnitsAway
08-01-2008, 01:33 PM
You all are brave! The only place I knit in public is football practice. Last year there was a grandma that knit at practice too. That was cool. Once I pulled it out once or twice I was comfortable cause they all expected it.

I don't like to draw attention to myself. I either knit at practice or I work on my laptop (unfortunately the work is beating out the knitting this season) and the first time I did that too I have to force myself to just do it. I know people will stare and it makes me uncomfortable.

I drive a fancy convertible. I prefer to wear a hat because then I feel more hidden from people staring. :aww:

Tropicflower24
08-01-2008, 04:19 PM
I KIP all the time. Which most people thinks is freaky since I'm a teen. But I knit almost all the time at home, and when we leave, and there is nothing to do..... KNIT TIME!!!

I have knit from places such as a meuseum/nature conservatory to the middle of Walmart and Home Depot. I'm not shy. :)

knitternut
08-01-2008, 04:44 PM
I get a lot of knitting done while KIP. I knit at kids practices and at Drs. offices. I get lots of glances but rarely will anyone say anything. I did have one dad at hockey tell me he use to knit as a kid, his mother had taught him. He would always come over to see what I was working on. I did have one lady tell me she thought it was great that I was keeping the tradition of knitting alive and not to stop.:?? Ummm...OKay?

Eekee
08-01-2008, 05:40 PM
I KIP all the time. I'm at my doctor's office weekly for injections and have to wait 30 minutes before I can leave. I have an hour on Mondays while I wait for my son during his therapies. I knit in the car while parked in carline at school awaiting my kids. I knit at the park or McDonalds while my kids play. Almost every where I go, I seem to get the same reactions.

"Wow, that looks so complicated! I could never do that!"
Well, maybe, but I think driving is a bit more involved and you made it here didn't you?

"I have a daughter, aunt, mother who does that!"
What a coincidence! My mother, niece and son could say the same thing!"

"I don't have the patience for that."
Hmm. I don't have the patience to sit here WITHOUT knitting.

"Isn't that boring/tedious?"
Not any more than talking to you.

(Obviously, these are responses I'd LIKE to give, but I generally just smile and nod.)

Arielluria
08-01-2008, 07:03 PM
I especially love it when kids stare. They're not shy about showing their interest, and I had the chance to chat with a 4-year old who was REALLY interested in it. I was making a dog sweater, so I took out my pattern book and showed her the pictures of the pretty pups with their handknitted items and she loved that. I gave her a ball of waste yarn I carry around and showed her how easy it was to do a K and a P. Her grandmother was interested too and I encouraged her to get something for kids at Hobby Lobby since she was so interested (more than most).

DPNs do get a whole lot more stares and especially socks. I must admit a year or so ago I myself would have been the one staring should I have seen someone actually KNITTING A SOCK :thud:... one older gentleman recently saw me knitting and said "I grew up watching that, my mom did it all the time" and my mom's doctor said "that's a lost art". It's not anymore, but he obviously didn't know that!

desidiva
08-01-2008, 10:37 PM
I knit anytime I have to wait around. I keep a scarf in my purse (I carry enormous purses) so I can knit whenever I get a chance. If I'm early for a meeting, I'll find a Starbucks or a park and get a little knitting done. I get a lot of knitting done on the train. I've never noticed anyone staring. But then considering some of the things that people do on trains in nyc, knitting is probably pretty tame.

Andres
08-02-2008, 11:03 AM
I have never knitted in public, I just can't concentrate. I'd probably end up frogging the project.

But, I'll try to do it.

blkirback
08-02-2008, 11:52 AM
I love to knit when I am in the airport. I have had a lot of people stop and look at me when I am doing it. I don't know why, maybe it's because I'm young or maybe not. I was knitting on the airplane once and the lady sitting across the isle from me was looking at what I was making, I think it was a scarf, and she just kept staring as I was knitting.
I used to knit all the time at work last summer, that's acutally where I learned to knit! My boss would knit all the time and I was curious how to do it, so she taught me while I was working. It was great, I was getting paid and doing something fun. What could be better?

tokmom
08-03-2008, 10:15 AM
Yesterday was our weekly trip to speech class with my 3 yr old. Now We have been going since November '07 so those who are back in the speech area KNOW I knit. Well yesterday hubby was off from work and I did have a crochet project but didnt feel like working on it. And wouldn't you believe it the one guy who work in the speech dept. actually asked me WHY I wasn't working on something. LOL I told him cause I had hubby to keep entertained. He laughed and went on down th hall.

I also knit while waiting for my daughters therapy to start. The first time I hauled it out, an OT came around the corner and was excited to see someone else knit. She's only 29, so she is a young knitter. I'm trying to get her to try socks. So far she's a purse girl.:mrgreen:

Debkcs
08-03-2008, 10:54 AM
Love this thread~

Last time I took out my knitting in an airport, the gentlemen around me started a debate on whether or not I'd be allowed to knit during takeoff and landing. Yes! Never had a problem getting my things on the plane with me.

The women complemented me on what I was making.

Personally, I can't stand to have waiting time and not to be doing something with my hands.

blkirback
08-03-2008, 11:17 AM
Love this thread~

Last time I took out my knitting in an airport, the gentlemen around me started a debate on whether or not I'd be allowed to knit during takeoff and landing. Yes! Never had a problem getting my things on the plane with me.

The women complemented me on what I was making.

Personally, I can't stand to have waiting time and not to be doing something with my hands.

Why would anyone think you wouldn't be allowed to knit during take off and landing?!?! That's just crazy. I've never had any problems knitting from the time I sit down until I have to get off of the plane. Unless, there is a screaming 2 year old sitting next to you who wants to chew on your yarn, had that happen once.

I usually end up with a 4 hour lay over so I have to have something to do. I've never had any problems getting through security with my knitting, I went to web site to see exatly what I could and couldn't take on an airplane.

Usually, people leave me alone when I am sitting there knitting but sometimes people come over and talk to me about it. I don't consider myself to be a great knitter so when people compliment me on what I am doing I'm usually in shock.

I think this next flight I will try to make a pair of socks while waiting in the airport, let's see how many people look at me funny then.

Terpsichorean
08-03-2008, 12:28 PM
I love knitting in public. I'm the "resident knitter/general crafty person" in my Latin class (I'm the "expert" if the lesson talks about weaving/sewing/other textile type things the Romans did), and the "grandma" in my theatre department. My friends normally just stare at me while I knit. Especially when I break out the DPN's. "There are more than two of them!" On the topic of flying; I once had a stewardess strike up a conversation with me about what I was making (a shawl to wear that evening).

I'll agree with all of you who've said you'd go crazy without having something to knit in other "waiting" times. If I don't have my knitting (or a crochet hook, or anything crafty, really) with me while I wait, I start to get twitchy.

Debkcs
08-03-2008, 03:01 PM
These guys were golfing buddies going to a tournament in Florida. They were dressed for golfing, and had hit the '19th hole' at the airport. They were arguing and betting each other on everything. They kept teasing me about poking my eye out, hence the remarks about takeoffs and landings. They weren't serious, but one of them kept leaning on me more and more to let him try my knitting-not!

KnittinMitchie
08-03-2008, 08:50 PM
My other favorite place to knit is in the car on LONG road trips. I can knit a pair of in under 2 days in the car. This is while I meet the demands of the 3yr old who dropped a toy or needs a sippy cup refill along with helping navigate. It takes us 2 days to go see the family in Ohio or Florida so I plan several projects and take my HUGE Lion Brand tote with me so I can cram all of my yarn and extra supplies in.

Weather or not I get any knitting done once I get to where we are going is a different story. In February I got lucky nad knitted 75% of a sweater while on vaction in Florida and got it all finished before we got home :)

auntcrafty
08-04-2008, 01:37 AM
I haven't knit in public, yet. However, I & my shopping cart got stared at several times today in Wal-Mart when I bought 9 brightly colored skeins of yarn. I can't wait to see the reactions the first time I knit at the beach here.

Dimpledapple
08-04-2008, 02:42 AM
Ditto on airport/airplane knitting! I recently went on vacation and during a very, very long layover, I knit my first sock :woohoo:
Also, since I've flown (and knit!) quite a bit this past year, it's gotten to the point where one of the janitors at the airport recognizes me! This last trip he approached me and said, "Oh, the knitting girl! What are you working on now?" Kinda cool :teehee:

farmgirl
08-04-2008, 07:29 AM
I always have my knitting with me too. I have started carrying larger purses so I have room! I think kids are the best. You can hear them ask their parents what that lady is doing and then finally gather the courage to come over and ask you.

I hate sitting anywhere without knitting. I always sit and think how much I could be getting done!

Sometimes DH wants me to go with him while he runs errands & I just sit in the van and knit. Now I never get irritated if things take longer than he thought. Knitting as marriage therapy.:heart:

KnittinMitchie
08-04-2008, 07:41 AM
Sometimes DH wants me to go with him while he runs errands & I just sit in the van and knit. Now I never get irritated if things take longer than he thought. Knitting as marriage therapy.:heart:

Girl you hit the nail on the head. Knitting has giving me a hobby and has helped my marriage :) I am am allowed to bring yarn in th house in small quanities and DH doesnt say too much other than what ya gunna do with it.