PDA

View Full Version : MacGyvered Little Great Wheel!!

fibrenut
08-04-2008, 01:23 AM
I was curious as to what and how a spinning wheel would work so I searched online for some instructions n found this, www.pjsadventures.com/DragonsKeep/personal/PVCWheel.html (http://www.pjsadventures.com/DragonsKeep/personal/PVCWheel.html)
Here's what I came up with. Had to McGyver a couple things (OMG how hard could it be to find a stupid pully wheel without those dang bearings in it?) It does work but I had to adapt how I drafted for it to work in somewhat of a consistent fashion.
I think the next one I'll use a dowel that's sharpened at the end to make a longer spindle and I'm trying to figure out how to make a treadle for it.
ETA: Oh yeah, it's ratio is a halfway decent 10:1

Foxyie
08-04-2008, 01:35 AM
you made this? wow, great work! :yay:

i'm not sure great wheels can use a treadle.. i think the point of them is to spin it by hand? i could be totally wrong of course.. i've only seen videos of regular sized ones on youtube and none of them had treadles.. but i suppose it could be done! heh

katknit
08-04-2008, 10:11 AM
Foxyie is correct - another name for the great wheel is "walking wheel", as the spinner had to stand and take a few steps back to spin and forward to wind the yarn onto the spindle.

mullerslanefarm
08-04-2008, 11:24 AM
There are Great Wheels with treadles.

All 'walking wheels' are great wheels, but not all great wheels are walking wheels!

I'll have to find a picture for you, but they did/do exist!

They're called pendulum wheels!

http://www.spwhsl.com/iss_46/detail46.htm

Foxyie
08-04-2008, 02:23 PM
ah! you learn something new everyday. :)

MAmaDawn
08-06-2008, 04:42 PM
That is awesome that you MADE that! WOW!

fibrenut
08-12-2008, 03:25 AM
Well to update ya'll n stuff.
I tore that one down........... (sighs all around)
BUT, I AM building myself a spinning wheel WITH a Mother of All
yep yep yep, I'm building myself a ghetto bobbin lead bicycle wheel spinning contraption. I'll show ya pics as soon as I finish it. WITH yarn on the bobbin..... WOOHOOOO!!!

I know, I know, I just could not leave well enough alone.

fibrenut
08-13-2008, 10:09 PM
K, more on the update,
I finally figured out a manageable way to attach the footman (good grief, that was a PITA!!!) And :woot: :clink: it actually works O M G !!! No it isn't perfectly balanced, nope it's definitely NOT quiet but hey, it's an addiction n what cha gonna do but git yerself a fix uh huh!! Maybe one of these days when I win the lotto (if I ever play that is) I'll get myself a proper wheel.

Cynamar
08-14-2008, 11:17 AM
Awesome! You are a clever one!!!!!!

Dangles
08-14-2008, 05:46 PM
That's some awesome MacGyver-ness :thumbsup:

fibrenut
08-22-2008, 07:43 PM
K for all of ya'll who wanted to take a look at the "ghetto" spinning wheel here are a couple pics I took and yes a bobbin of singles on there to boot....

ragtimelil
08-24-2008, 03:18 PM
WOW! Can we see a pic of the treadle? Are you going to post instructions at some point? I did make a charka wheel, but it SHOULD be torn down. I do use it as a bobbin winder though....lol.