PDA

View Full Version : Question on Circular needles

Sunshine's Mom
08-06-2008, 03:37 PM
I haven't knit on circulars in a while, but I'm gearing up for Christmas present knitting and I'm thinking of making flower-shaped washcloths for some of the ladies and wrapping them around nice soaps, etc.. You know, real girlie gifts?!

Anyway, here is a link to the pattern: http://whimsicalknitting.home.comcast.net/~whimsicalknitting/flowerpowerwashclothsARBM.pdf

My question is - what size cable should I use? There is a total of 90 stitches once you join the petals. AND, do I have to use 2 circulars? I've never done that before. It doesn't say in her pattern and I'm not familiar enough with work on circulars to know what the right size is. I have to buy one anyway because the smallest size circ I have is a US10.5 16".

Can anyone help? Thanks in advance.

Ellieblue
08-06-2008, 04:06 PM
I think you would be happy with using KP options with maybe a 32' cable. That way you can start building a collection of options or harmony needles. Magic loop is the way to go on your project.:star:

mathwizard
08-06-2008, 04:15 PM
I would say that the 24" circular needle is more than big enough. Some would say 16" in big enough. It does say two circular needles or use double points. I use two circulars to make both of a pair of socks at the same time and I think whether you use circulars or dp is really what you most feel comfortable with using. Magic loop or what you use is really a matter of choice. Do what you feel comfortable doing and like to do. I like the pattern and I think they will make really nice gifts!

Sunshine's Mom
08-07-2008, 10:04 AM
I haven't tried Magic Loop knitting. It looks really complicated and time consuming (although I'm sure once you get the hang of it it's not that way). I'm thinking that once I get fewer stitches on the cable that I'll have to transfer to dpns to finish it off. I could go further on the circ if I could get 90 stitches onto a 16" cable - or would that be too small a cable for that many stitches?

I'm thinking of getting the KP options, but I don't do enough work on circular needles at this point to give myself the go-ahead to buy them. Penny pinching doesn't become me, but I'm working on it!;)

Mirl56
08-07-2008, 10:16 AM
Don't think of circular needles as only being usable when you want to knit a tube or something like that. I use them for flat, back and froth row kniting all the time - in fact, I rarely use straight needles any more.

Sunshine's Mom
08-07-2008, 10:28 AM
Well, I'm going to get a pair of US7 dpns and the Options US7 circ points and the 24" cable (as that's the smallest cable I can get in any event unless I go fixed for a 16"). I know I can knit flat using circs and I can see that it will be handy for these washcloths. I'll do my best - how bad can it be?

Thanks for all the input.

Ellieblue
08-07-2008, 10:53 AM
congratulations, you're on the right track. When you think about it, magic loop is easier than dp.s since you only have to adjust your needles across two spots instead of 3 or 4.:star: