PDA

View Full Version : Left over sock yarn.

tgwillis
08-07-2008, 09:08 PM
I just finished knitting my first pair of socks :woot: I had some yarn left. What do ya'll do with the odds and ends that are left over?

I have been bit by the sock bug and can see this is going to be a problem :mrgreen:

As some said when I posted about trying socks I have gone to the dark side.:zombie:

Any way what do I do with all the little left overs?:wink:

Crycket
08-07-2008, 09:21 PM
I make bears....little 4 inch bears...I have one for every pair of socks I finish!

jdee
08-07-2008, 09:30 PM
Aw! That bear's so cute. Is there a pattern?

Jax3303
08-07-2008, 09:33 PM
I crochet granny squares with my sock leftovers. when I get enough I'll sew them together for an afghan.

of troy
08-07-2008, 11:05 PM
here are 101 things (http://golden-apples.blogspot.com/2007/04/101-ideas-for-using-up-scraps-of-sock.html) (well not really 101 but alot!) to do with left over sock yarn.

there are lots of links to other blogs--showing finished projects.

Crycket
08-08-2008, 01:33 AM
Aw! That bear's so cute. Is there a pattern?

Of course there is a pattern...*winks*

The Knitted Teddy Bear (by Sandra Polley) amazing book...take a look at my Ravelry...riddled with bears!

PS...I want one of those Icord doohikies....

brittyknits
08-08-2008, 09:31 AM
Another thing is tiny stockings for Christmas tree ornaments (or if you're Jewish, you can give them to your Christmas celebrating friends:-). Or you can make doll clothes, or baby booties. Even if you don't have a baby or know anyone who does at the moment, they can be donated to hospitals or other charity services for parents who are in need. There's a new book coming out with finger puppets. I like Troy's glove idea in her 101 list-- I've seen patterns where the designer intended each finger to be a different color, and you could just do that. If you have pets or friends with them, you could make a dog collar. Coffee cup holders are small, and would be fine with several color stripes.

knitgal
08-08-2008, 10:00 AM
I always have little bits of sock yarn left and I'm going to borrow the idea I saw on Ravelry. A woman bought a tall clear glass container and wound each of her leftover sock yarn bits into balls and put them into the jar. I don't know if I'll ever have enough for that large of a jar, but I was thinking of finding a smaller one! Here's a picture of what she did.

KnittinMitchie
08-08-2008, 10:29 AM
That is a cute idea to display the yarn.

Mike
08-08-2008, 07:38 PM
My "sock yarn" is solids so I don't know if this will work for you, but I save the tiny balls to use as color stripes for the cuffs of other socks.

Maybe eventually that "color stripe" will get so large it's the whole sock.

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
08-08-2008, 11:59 PM
how about working on a mitered square afghan? http://www.shellykang.com/2008/02/blankie-friday-wrap-up.html

rachael72knitter
08-09-2008, 11:12 AM
I was thinking these mini-socks would be nice Christmas tree ornaments or great for key chains, also good practice but in miniature-

http://www.geocities.com/jbtocker/patterns/minisock.html

Slim
08-09-2008, 12:09 PM
I make baby socks with my leftovers, which is great sock-making practice. I save them and use them as shower gifts.

laikabear
08-09-2008, 01:07 PM
Notice no one said "just throw it away." :teehee:

Even the little scraps I cut off after I weave in ends... I'm reluctant to toss ANY YARN, EVER!!!!! :mrgreen:

Jan in CA
08-09-2008, 01:26 PM
Even the little scraps I cut off after I weave in ends... I'm reluctant to toss ANY YARN, EVER!!!!! :mrgreen:

Okay, I DO throw those away. :teehee:

Mike
08-09-2008, 01:43 PM
You can save those for toy stuffing.

But I throw them too ... eventually. I have a wad sitting next to where I knit right now someday I'll get around to picking it up and tossing it.

RuthieinMaryland
08-09-2008, 01:45 PM
Hi!:waving:

In her book, "Getting Started Knitting Socks", (pg. 80) Ann Budd talks about "Magic Ball" Socks. There is a picture of striped socks she knitted from a ball containing 5 different yarns, and they're beautiful! She fuses random lengths of the various colors together to get unique yarn for unique socks. The whole procedure is described in the book - which, by the way, is an incredible book!

Yes, I'm becoming a sock-a-holic, too!

And I LOVE the little teddy!

Have fun,
Ruthie :knitting:

farmgirl
08-09-2008, 02:10 PM
I make hair schrunchies to match the socks! They are really easy you just crochet around a hair band.

Mulderknitter
08-09-2008, 02:22 PM
Notice no one said "just throw it away." :teehee:

The horror!:roflhard:
What great ideas everyone! I might do the display thing. hmmm..... i have lots of jars....