PDA

View Full Version : World of Warcraft

boyforpele13
08-11-2008, 08:18 PM
I feel like I've seen some of you guys mention WoW... I just started the trial version last night and managed to get sucked in for 7 hours... yeah. Anyway, just wondering if anyone wanted to help out a n00b with some stupid questions. :)
Thanks!

willowangel
08-12-2008, 02:20 PM
What do you need to know? :-) I don't have access to American servers so I can't help in game, but I can answer questions :-)

Nan101
08-12-2008, 05:44 PM
Level 70, troll rogue, tauren hunter and blood elf mage. Ask away :)

boyforpele13
08-12-2008, 07:39 PM
I knew you guys were out there! ;-)

Actually %@$ hours of gameplay later (I refuse to admit just how long I have been in there in the last 48 hours, but will say I closed the servers down last night (maintenance at 3 a.m. PDT RAWR!!!!)) I am doing much better! I did notice on the forums that I referred to myself incorrectly since a n00b is one who is not willing to learn or fix mistakes and that is not me at all. :)

Since we're here, though, I have a couple of less pressing questions...

I know there is info for this on the WoW site, but I keep clicking there and getting distracted...

What's a guild and do I need to join one? I've received several in-game requests and also requests to sign charters and just have declined because I don't know enough.

Last night I was playing with my settings and realized that the auto-battle thing was a choice, not a requirement... Is there a general preference on this from the more experienced players? I kinda like the auto-battle thing because I do other stuff when that's going on, re-reading quests, whatever but am wondering if it would be more fun/challenging the other way.

And lastly, I think, I have 2 characters right now, I was happy with one, but realized my friend who picked a different race was on another continent. Anyway, my first one is a night elf druid and I managed to overload myself with quests. I'm okay with that, BUT, I can't find anything. I just keep getting lost and yesterday probably spent 2 hours running in circles trying to find quest things... Is there a map or an easier way to do this? I found the online atlas, but it was a bit too broad. ETA: I use the map in the corner, I know about that, and can sometimes find the street signs indicating, but like when the quest says, "Find this person who hangs out north of this lake which is near here," I run into trouble. What is hysterical about this is it's EXACTLY like real life. I get lost going around the corner. ;-)

And so much for no more questions, but Nan, if you're level 70, I take it you have the Burning Crusade? I am in my 10-day trial still and wondering if I NEED the expansion right off the bat...

Okay, one more!!!! LOL! Is there a list of translations for the NPCs?

ETA: ONE more thing! How long, reasonably, does it take to get to level 30? I want a mount! I got to level 7 in one evening with the night elf and 5 in a few hours with the human, but I imagine leveling takes longer as you progress...

Thank you both!!!!

bethany
08-12-2008, 09:05 PM
You realize now, of course, that you will never knit again? ;) I'm giggling just a bit. I don't play, but husband does. Alllllll the time. For, like, 2 years. Ah, the warm memories of New Years Eves with the beautiful WOW fireworks....:teehee: Have fun!

Duessa
08-12-2008, 09:44 PM
Ok, well, I can help you out, even though you are an Alli..... : P

Something to know now, horde and alli are strongly against eachother lol

Anyway, I have a lvl 70 troll mage, 48 blood elf priest, and miscellaneous lower lvls. I still find time to knit!

I am on Andorhal. If you have any pressing in game questions you could make a character (it will have to be horde) and add Akatae and Madea to your friends. I'm on alot late at night server time. Just whisper me and say you are from the knitting forum. that goes for any of you!

as for the expansion. you only need it NOW if you want to play a draeni or bloodelf. if you don't care then you don't need it until you hit about 58 and can go to outlands.

you can get to 30, if you are dillegent and know where to quest, and this I can't help you with because i never play a dirty alli! lol, then you can probably hit 30 in a week or less.

Guild: think of them as clubs or organizations. You join one if you want. they all have different missions or purposes. I'm in one that is all fam and friends and we don't really have a point except to be able to talk to each other and share things and help each other. some guilds pvp, some raid, some lvl, some twink (excuse so many words you might not yet understand. Wow is like a new language at first and it's hard to discuss wow without using them)...etc, etc. Join one if you like to have friends to quest with and such.

as far as getting lost....no real help there. You clear your map as you go. You CAN get addons that clear the whole map for you and ones that give you coordinate and help you find quests but I'm not up to an addon tutorial here. I'm not a big fan of them but many people swear by them.

lastly, you need anything else just post or make a character on my real and whisper me. I'm playing Madea the most right now. just don't forget to say you are from the knitting forum or I might be a little cranky at being whispered out of no where while I'm trying not to die! lol

Hope you enjoy and that you come to the horde! lol (jk)

Howdovely
08-12-2008, 09:56 PM
You realize now, of course, that you will never knit again? ;) I'm giggling just a bit. I don't play, but husband does. Alllllll the time. For, like, 2 years. Ah, the warm memories of New Years Eves with the beautiful WOW fireworks....:teehee: Have fun!

Whoah, I can't believe I'm reading about WOW here. Funny. I played for a little while (liked Dungeon Seige better, only because that's what I started on so was more comfortable there.)

My x and I actually split up basically because of online games. He paid more attention to the game. haha. So yes, not only do you run the risk of not knitting again, there is a chance of not doing anything BUT gaming again.

We had a forum and were very choosey about who was allowed in, mostly because we had it to communicate and help each other. Our 'friends' were in Argentina, England, Canada, Florida and then us in NC. It was pretty cool. Even tho I don't play anymore, I say hello to them on Yahoo IM every now and then.

Good luck learning the game - it's frustrating to learn, but it is addicting. Have fun, but remember, there is life outside of gaming.

Xyza
08-12-2008, 11:15 PM
Apparently Quest Helper (http://wow.curse.com/downloads/details/9924/) is a good addon to help locate quests and such. I haven't used it myself but my boyfriend recently switched to the alliance side and has been using it to find his way around over there.

boyforpele13
08-13-2008, 01:19 AM
I just went to the "dark side" a couple hours ago on my dinner break! ;-) I now have a level 6 troll shaman. I'm on the wrong realm though! I got my friend sucked into it and we went to play in our realm and there was a 25 person wait, so we both created Horde chars (or I did, which forced her to. ;-)) I am already lost and stuck, though, can't find the medallion in the cave thingie... I did the other 2 cave quests, but can't find the stupid medallion.

as for the getting lost, i don't get it really... as a human and now as a troll, i have no trouble. if the quest says go northeast,southeast, whatever, I have no trouble... actually i'm lying, i can't find the scorpion thing on the south plateau either, but typically i can follow directions. for some reason in elf land, (Tedrassil?) I am totally dumbfounded now, map or not.

I just found an Atlas Add-on with Quest Helper so thank you both!!!!

As for k'ing, I have groups I go to on Wed, Thurs, and usually Sunday, so if nothing else, I will knit there.... I'm actually half hoping to get burnt out before my 10 days is up, but I REALLY don't see that happening. There is just too much to do and be! ACK!

Thanks for the info on the expansion, too. That is kinda what I figured. I am already foreseeing the desperation and panic when my 10 days is up and am trying to rationalizeut the spending and $20 is a lot easier to rationalize than $40. :)

now, do I thank you or curse you for feeding this fire? ;-) thank you all really! :)

Duessa
08-13-2008, 01:30 AM
fyi, you can have 1 chars on each realm, and you can be on like 50 different realms lol

Xyza
08-13-2008, 12:19 PM
Oh! I don't know why I didn't think of this last night. Wowhead (http://www.wowhead.com/) and Thottbot (http://thottbot.com/) are really good websites to use if you're stuck on quests. There's also some really helpful information on professions, classes and items.

I think this is a sign that I've played this game too much. The medallion drops off a "boss" at the back of the cave. Sad that I just know that without looking it up.

Duessa
08-13-2008, 04:47 PM
lol I knew that too but forgot that he had asked that question. The guy is up on a ledge that you can see from one room and there is a path that goes behind him and curves up and then you kill him. You are probably way past this quest by now! lol

boyforpele13
08-14-2008, 05:51 AM
yup, i'm on a couple realms already with a couple characters... i'm going to start one now on your realm, but only for an hour! ;-) the questhelper and atlas have changed EVERYTHING omg. i almost feel like i'm cheating, though, but not really because it hasn't made it easy, per se, just easiER. :) i never expected i'd like being part of the Horde so much. i LOVE my troll. :)

thanks again!

Crycket
08-14-2008, 04:24 PM
Earthen Ring - Alliance....

70 Mage - Lybrannan
70 Pally - Cyprian
70 Priest - Khriista
64 Shammy - Etobicoke...

Come join me!

Nan101
08-15-2008, 09:45 AM
The darkside? If you look at it from the Horde point of view, we are the good guys and the alliance are the darkside :)

The addons are very helpful. Questhelper and Titan panel are two I basically can't play without. Another good site to get information from is: http://wow.allakhazam.com/

Keep trying out new characters and classes until you find the one that feels "right". It will take you to about level 30 to really find out if you like them or not. My hunter was my first toon to 70 but I don't like the Tauren, so started the troll rogue. She is my main and the one who goes into instances. The mage is my battlegrounds toon. She just likes going in and killing alliance.

As others have said, a guild is nice when you find people who play the same time as you and have a laid back play style. If you jump right into a hardcore raiding guild you won't enjoy the game. One good way to make money as a lower level toon is to sign a guild charter when they are offering money for the signatures. You can leave soon as the guild is made (after they get 10 people to sign). Just type /gquit and your out. Pick up everything and sell it. If it's a grey item sell it to a vendor, other items you can put on the Auction house and make money that way.

If you really like the game, but find yourself mainly playing solo, some classes are really good at soloing. Hunters..once you get that pet, let it attack first and you stand back and shoot it from a distance. Warlocks..again, they get pets that can fight for you, while you stand back and throw spells on them. Rogues..ahhh, i love rogues. Stealth up to the mob, cheap shot it then just keep hitting it until it dies. Mages are also good. freeze them to the ground, back up then throw spells from a distance and watch them die.

Some classes will level one way and change when they hit 70. For example, if you try to solo level a healing priest your going to have trouble, but make that priest a shadow priest while leveling and things die a lot faster. Then when you hit 70, it's the healing priest that is in demand for instances.

As to how long it takes to get to 70, well that depends on how often you play and if you solo or group play. Some quests you will not be able to finish alone, you will have to group. Just enjoy the game and have a good time. But remember to walk away from the computer and enjoy the game of life. This game can be addictive and make people in your household very unhappy.

boyforpele13
08-18-2008, 09:19 AM
bump for desperate newb question! ;-)

ok, so... i have this problem over several characters at varying levels... this one in particular is a lv 10 warlock and i'm doing just fine with everything, except these 2 quests that are completed that i can't get to because i keep getting killed and one quest that isn't completed but should be able to compelte. all of them are at my level or a less, which is baffling me.

here is the problem now and always: two many mobs... i just don't know how to handle them but i would bet i should be able to. i have all the spells that are available to me and my imp at my current level. i have some good DOTs like agony and... the other one. lol.. i can't remember. i have the soul draining one which is so freakin cool, i can't stand it... not necessarily handy in this case, but yeah... corruption. i have curse of weakness and fear is good because i can make a couple of them run away, but what's happening is in the time it takes me to click them each and make them run away so i have only one to deal with, i'm getting beat up while casting, so it takes forever to cast, and when it's all done, the other mobs are back beating me up again and i die. most of my spells are still rank 1 except for shadow bolt and i think immolate is rank 2 now too... i am attempting these with whatever protection things i have, the elixirs and demon skin and whatever else and just keep croaking. over and over and over... lol

help!

thanks in advance.

Crycket
08-18-2008, 11:07 AM
What quests are you on? And what colour are the quests? Green and Yellow indicate your lvl....orange and red are way to high for your lvl!

boyforpele13
08-18-2008, 11:31 AM
right, i got the color-coded things and these are at or below. one of them is actually 2 levels below, if i'm not mistaken, and i just need to complete the quest by talking to someone's corpse to tell him how he died or something and i keep getting attacked by the little sea-looking creatures, like it starts with one and then i have 5 on me. the other is to get my new minion! WHINING!!!! i have to go defeat another warlock and take her choker necklace. i slay countless defias folk before getting to her but she has 2 body guards and in moments, i have 3 of them on me, one of them a warlock, so i'm getting ranged attacks as well as two brutes. ;) that one is actually the same level i'm on, a 10 (the new imp comes at level 10, so it makes sense. I've completed level 15 quests already though...)

that's just for the one character in particular, have to get back to you on the rest... wait, no, there's an alliance priest who i have at level 13 and i have like THREE quests that are the same way and one of those is a level 7 quest!

boyforpele13
08-18-2008, 09:22 PM
nan, i totally missed your message somehow, sorry!!!! thank you for the wealth of info! i've already been doing lots of what you recommended. i have i think 6 characters already, maybe 8... lol. i've tried them all except mage and warrior so far. i really liked my hunter a lot, but was hearing a lot of things that other players kinda turn their noses up at them because lots of newbs pick them and they also can get in trouble with their pets (I didn't pick him as one of my first, think the 5th actually, but i did really dig having a bow and arrow. i wound up moving him to a different PvP server because I wanted an alliance character in that one and now I can't get him back... he's lost in Latin America somewhere.

It's funny you mention the priest thing. I have a friend who lvld to 70 and got bored who shared her build with me and recommended a shadow priest. That was fine and all until level 13... now I'm stuck, actually for the same reasons in my most recent whiny posts, too many mobs and my tender priest can't handle them. ;) i love that character though, already advancing in professional training and weapons and have flight paths all over and he's fun otherwise... before that, my night elf druid (my first char) was my favorite until i started a toll something.... i want to say a troll paladin, but i get them all confused, and that's when i realized i loved the "dark side" or the light side. ;-) it's only been a week so I haven't yet established which side is "mine." i also LOVE LOVE LOVE my undead warlock, he is freakin bad a$$. but alas, almost all of my favorite characters i created on normal servers before i understood PvP so i'm redoing those too. sigh.

funny also you mention the rogue, he's my newest venture, this morning actually after whining here because i was stuck. that's what happens typically, i get bored or stuck so create somebody new. :) again, imagine my surprise when i discovered how i love to be a rogue! one challenged me to a duel the other day and i was intrigued to say the least.

as for grouping, i just don't feel proficient enough in any of my characters to join a group or feel that i could be an asset to any group, plus i'm still on trial membership, so want to make sure i'm sticking around, which i am like 99.99% positive i am. i mean of course my priest can do some healing at this point, but i've already started the shadow speccing and plan to stick with it if i ever can get unstuck. and when that's done, he'll be an annihilator priest. ;-) after 7 obsessed days, this morning was the very first time i wasn't like gung-ho and freaking out about wanting to play and it was because I was helping a friend like 5 levels below me so was super bored. other than that, it has pretty much taken over my existence and i haven't knit a stitch. that's how I roll though, in a month, maybe 2, I will back off, for now everything else will just have to wait. ;-)

ok, obsessed in gameplay AND babbling about it here, so I will stop, but thank you again for all of your help!!!!

Crycket
08-18-2008, 09:51 PM
Hee hee...that sounds like the warlock quest! That one is a pain in the butt...I got someone to help....Clothies suck to lvl sometimes...

My first (and still main) is a Mage(fire)...so I feel your pain....

I just finished gearing out my priest(holy/disipline)...that was an ordeal...I hate lvling her without help...I get squished easy...

Not minding the shaman I am lvling (enhancement) right now...got a little more umph...

Duessa
08-20-2008, 10:05 PM
well, here is the trouble. You are starting chars and working on quests. SOME quests, although you SHOULD be able to complete them on your own, can be hard as certain (and i mean anything but a hunter and a warrior) classes. This is because of sheer number of mobs. I don't want to insinuate that you aren't smart but you have to try these quests in a "smart" way. Look around. Is there a short cut into the area? can you "pull" (meaning, draw that character to you instead of going to him) the object of your quest or do you have to fight to him? Also, you NEED to get the Voidwalker with your warlock. With this guy you WILL be able to do these quests. he is your "tank" ( meaning someone/thing that takes damage for you while you do damage to the target, aka meatshield). The quest really isn't that hard to get him. Also, and this i must admit may upset you, sometimes you have to let a quest go a while, or even ever, as it isn't any longer worth your trouble. I have so far lvled a frost mage (yes, frost the WHOLE time and if you think I'm crazy I'll tell you my method, it's sweet if you don't HAVE to see large numbers from every spell you cast!) to 70 and it took a LONG time. She was my first char and I love her. However, in like a month and a half TOPS I have lvled a shadow priest to 52. She is in Winterspring now (which, incidentally, is three lvls above her) but once you REALLY get your char you will be able to do things like this. I don't have too much experience with anything other than a mage or a priest so I can't exactly tell you what to do. All I can say is really think about your skills. do you understand aggro and how it works? Take this example. You and your imp or voidewalker and running around. You want to kill this guy. You FIRST send your pet to attack. This means that the pet has the AGGRO. When you attack you will not have the aggro unless you do more THREAT. This is done by doing loads more damage right away or doing something that is HIGH THREAT. Usually a spell will say it has a high threat level but healing is a major way to do threat. Anyway, this tactic will help you to draw people to you. You do this by using ranged attacks. A lock has tons of them. Set your imp to fire and the creature or whatever will come to him. Then, impy has drawn them you start to dot him up! dots do minimal threat. the only thing is that impy won't live long! This is why you NEED mr. voidewalker.

Anyway, I could go on like this forever when it's in low levels. and forever plus 500 if it were a mage or priest.

What you might need to do is just ask for help. Someone else your level must be struggling with the quest to. You don't have to be good to group. It's for help, not to show off.

another thing you might do is your www.wowhead.com or any other site and search the name of the quest. it will tell you about the quest and will usually have tons of comment on how hard, how it's been done, and how to make it easier, etc. from many others. this could save your life! lol

Well, I'm typing your eyes off. I'm serious about in game messaging. Andorhal is a decent pvp realm. We are kinda new so not full at all! Never had to wait to get in. You friend Akatae or Madea and then message me when I log on! I'll be on daily i'm sure, even if it's only for a little while I'll be glad to help! I love this game and the social aspect so please, enjoy!

and if you are hooked you might as well swallow! pulling that hook out would be much more painfull! lol

and btw, trolls can't be paladin! lol maybe you are a troll hunter? they can be priests, mages, hunters, warriors, and rogues that I know for sure of! lol ONLY Bloodelves can be paladin and you can only make a paladin or Blood elf if you have the expansion which you can't have in the trial I believe. anyway, didn't want you to remail clueless!

Have fun and what professions are you lvling? so much to talk about when it is this game!

Andorhall: Akatae 70 troll Frost Mage, Madea 52 Blood Elf Shadow Priest

MAmaDawn
08-22-2008, 08:58 AM
Dh and I used to play... but life jut got too busy... you are making me want to sign back on....

dustinac
08-22-2008, 09:22 AM
My husband plays this game all the time...He has one main guy Doku and then others he uses some of the time...he will even let my son go on a slow server and they will play together.

He got an invite yesterday to be one that trys out the new game (installment something)...so it's been downloading like crazy...he told me ya know this means this weekend I'm doing nothing but WoW :rofl:

Duessa
08-22-2008, 03:18 PM
LOL, he got an invite key to test Wrath of the Litch King?!?! That is way cool! I wish I had the time for something like that! I hope he enjoys it although I hope it doesn't come out for a good long while. I won't be able to meet the specs for it unless I buy a new computer! ROFLMAO

maniago
08-22-2008, 03:24 PM
I can relate to the being "sucked in for hours"

My hubby plays eve-online, thought I would help out with simple mining and it became addictive.

Duessa
08-22-2008, 03:29 PM
Yep! That is sort of how I got hooked. "hey honey, wouldya do this quest for me while I'm at work?" LOL

I made another character then signed up for my own account and never looked back!

Moxiemade
08-24-2008, 07:51 PM
It's so odd to read this here.

I recently turned to knitting for a healthier alternative after battling a very tough addiction to an online MMORPG (not WOW). I hear WOW is far more addicting.

Have fun on the game, but do try to be balanced! It can suck your life away.

Duessa
08-24-2008, 08:50 PM
LOL, I get too frustrated with it to let it suck my life away. KNitting is so healing after getting your *** stomped by allis! Or failing a quest over and over. LOL I love that I can sit and just knit. I'm so quiet when I knit my bf always asks me over and over "what's wrong?" lol If I'm not knitting I'm talking. I really am glad I have found people "addicted" to the same things I am. I never thought I would find gamer/knitters.

Crycket
08-24-2008, 09:09 PM
have you seen this
http://www.ravelry.com/projects/allknitup/murky
or this?
http://www.ravelry.com/projects/Cilona/more-than-a-fish

Too much...! I will be knitting one eventually!

Duessa
08-24-2008, 09:20 PM
WOW! That is just great! These are like PERFECT christmas presents! what cheaper yarn can I subs for noro? lol I love the second one! So realistic! Murlocks are my FAV!

MAmaDawn
08-24-2008, 09:42 PM
AAAHHH! I HATE Murlocs... I have almost quit the quest with them more than all other combined I think! Oh and we joined back up... :teehee:

Duessa
08-24-2008, 09:55 PM
LOL, they are little boogers but I LOVE to hear them die! It is so satisfying to kill a couple hundred of them. lol I'm not weird. not at all. Troggs are nearly as satisfying. rofl