PDA

View Full Version : CARRY YARN OR CUT EACH ROW?

Northknitter
08-14-2008, 08:18 AM
Annies Attic....Peruvian Ruana Pattern

I emailed Annies Attic and asked them if you carry the yarn or cut and change colors before I order the pattern, but the reply was they do not know.
Has anyone knit this and if so, please let me know. Thank you.

suzeeq
08-14-2008, 09:28 AM
It would depend on how often you change colors. If it's just a few rows, 2 or 4, you can carry them. If it's more than 6 rows, it would probably be better to cut them. Looking at the picture http://www.anniesattic.com/detail.html?prod_id=22927 it seems as though you change every 2 rows.

Northknitter
08-14-2008, 09:31 AM
thanks, so one can carry the yarn up the sides ok without looking bulky. Cutting and re starting all the time seems like a pain.

suzeeq
08-14-2008, 09:43 AM
Yes to both questions. If it's just a couple rows it shouldn't be too noticeable. You might want to practice on a piece before the pattern arrives. CO about 20 sts in 1 color, knit 2 rows, then start color 2 and knit 2 rows and so on. You lightly twist one color around the other so they don't make a loose loop on the edge.

Jan in CA
08-14-2008, 11:16 AM
Those things look pretty flappy/loose so just be careful where you carry the yarn so it doesn't show, too.

Northknitter
08-14-2008, 12:50 PM
I have not seen a knitted Ruana, they do look loose, and I hadn't thought of that showing the threads. Wonder if it stays on when wearing it or will it one of those things that are uncomfortable. thanks for info.