PDA

View Full Version : Mason Dixon afghan and cotton yarn

LindaHLB
08-18-2008, 01:00 PM
Can someone tell me if there is a secret to working with cotton yarn. I have just started making mitered squares for a Mason Dixon pattern afghan. I know that the yarn needs to be tied on different then when working with wool, but I am unsure how to correctly do this. Also when hiding the ends, is there anything I should know?

Thanks
Linda

GinnyG
08-18-2008, 02:04 PM
Hmmm, I've been using alot of cotton recently and have not done anything differently than when I use wool. I weave in the ends the same as I do wool. With cotton I am a little more intentional about changing color on a seam but other than that there isn't a difference that I know of!

Would love to know if I am doing something wrong!

LindaHLB
08-18-2008, 08:31 PM
Well I thank you for your reply, as I have a ton of these mitered squares to do, I will just proceed as normal.

Thank you
Linda

InterNette
08-26-2008, 10:46 AM
I start my color changes on the ends and weave them in afterwards. Never thought I could do it another way. I might have to experiment now. I use my left over cloth cotton for these, and I love the stripes and not wasting. Of course it might take a year till I have enough made.

sgtpam
08-26-2008, 11:53 AM
Well I thank you for your reply, as I have a ton of these mitered squares to do, I will just proceed as normal.

Thank you
Linda
What's a mitered square and what do you use it for?

Jan in CA
08-26-2008, 12:43 PM
What's a mitered square and what do you use it for?

I'm not sure of the exact definition, but in knitting a miter is design/corner that forms a corner. You cast on x number of stitches and then decrease in the middle every other row or so. Here's one tutorial (http://pdxknitterati.com/patterns/mitered-square-afghan-project/) (there are many). They can be done different ways with different types of yarn creating some awesome patterns.

Re: Cotton - I haven't used cotton for anything except dishcloths, but I know the ends like to pop out a lot easier than wool or even acrylic. I just make sure I weave them in an extra few stitches.
http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEfall04/FEATfall04tt.html

Daylilydayzed
08-26-2008, 01:09 PM
I found a tip about using cotton yarn, after weaving in the end, before cutting the remainder of yarn off cut it a little bit longer and split the plys. Weave one ply under a purl loop and tie a square knot and kind of push it into the work. I am currently knitting with Peaches and Cream cotton yarn . When I have to attach a new skein , that is how I intend to weave in the ends.

LindaHLB
08-31-2008, 11:06 AM
Thank you all so much for your input. I am having a lot of fun making the mitered squares - But have a long way to go. The color combinations are fun and it's a easy knitting project. Can easily do watching TV or at a community meeting!