PDA

View Full Version : top or roving?

Lady Violet
08-19-2008, 08:25 PM
For the century when I actually do start spinning (which better be this century :teehee: ), did you start with top or roving? I just watched the Knitting Daily that talks about the difference. Pretty cool. Which do you prefer to spin, or do you like them both?

Jen17
08-19-2008, 10:58 PM
I've only taken one class so far so I don't have an answer to your question, but could you post the site so I can watch this "knitting daily thing you are talking about?
Thanks,
Jen

Lady Violet
08-19-2008, 11:04 PM
I saw it on PBS. I just looked on youtube, but I didn't see it.

fibrenut
08-22-2008, 06:53 PM
K, I be a total noob at this whole spinning thing so could someone please explain the difference between roving and top? I do know the difference between rolags n roving (differing prep methods). But this top thing is eluding me.

Foxyie
08-24-2008, 06:53 PM
welp..to answer the question lady violet asked.. i started with commerical combed top.. i've since then spun from locks, batts, fluffs but haven't yet used a true roving.. i suppose batts pulled into roving would be close enough but nothing prepaired as roving

i like it all! :)

and to fibrenut top is basically a totally combed prep..

this thread could be helpful.. there are pictures!

http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=82189

and also there is an offsite link i posted there for a spin off article that i think explains very well different sorts of fiber prep

fibrenut
08-24-2008, 11:22 PM
Sooo, basically to put it in a nutshell, top is to roving as vaseline is to petroleum jelly.
Whereas top is the specific prep and roving is sort of a general term for prepped top or straight alligned fibres. I think I get it, sorta!!! LOL:thumbsup:

Shandeh
08-25-2008, 03:32 PM
I'm no expert, but from what I've purchased, I prefer top. It seems to be smoother, and much easier to spin.