PDA

View Full Version : Spec. Olympics: World Winter Games Scarves (Red Heart)

Mystery_Gyrl
08-26-2008, 08:29 AM
Hello, everyone:
I am not sure if this campaign has been posted already, if it has please remove the thread.

For knitters (and crocheters) who like to use Red Heart, the Special Olympics World Winter Games have started their scarf project for the 2009 games. Their main guideline requests are that the scarves be 4.5" x 50" in size and that they be made with Delft Blue and White from Red Hearts Super Saver Yarn Collection to ensure consistency and work back to the games logo; however, patterns are unlimited as long as they stay within the color and size framing stated.

More information/details can be found at these two web sites:

http://www.2009worldgames.org/volunteer/scarf-project
http://www.coatsandclark.com/Crafts/Crochet/Features/Special+Olympics.htm

Also on the Coats and Clark web site two (crochet and knit) patterns are given for people to work with if needed.

For all those who participate, happy knitting. :thumbsup:
Katrina

labeelady
08-27-2008, 07:56 PM
I've got the pattern and the yarn! I found Delft Blue at Walmart and printed out the pattern today! Will start the crocheted scarf while dinner is cooking.

HollyP
08-28-2008, 01:58 AM
What a great project! I'm in! I'll try to get the yarn tomorrow. Hmm now what pattern to use.

labeelady
08-28-2008, 07:56 AM
I'm using this one:

http://www.coatsandclark.com/Crafts/Knitting/Projects/Accessories/WR1704+Knit+and+Crochet+Special+Olympic+Scarves.ht m

labeelady
08-29-2008, 01:35 PM
The Special Olympics scarf is finished! I believe there may be enough yarn left over to make another one!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3167/2808389115_66bd7c04b0.jpg?v=0

Mystery_Gyrl
08-29-2008, 05:46 PM
Dang, you rock. :thumbsup: :yay: I am still waiting for my delft blue; since there isn't a Wal-mart near me.
Katrina

Shandeh
08-30-2008, 02:41 PM
Neat project! I'm in! :thumbsup:

MGM
09-17-2008, 07:43 PM
I blogged about this very thing on my site (http://www.hookedonneedles.com/2008/08/knit-or-crochet-scarves-for-some.html) recently and was thrilled to actually find the delft blue yarn at my local walmart.

I worked the polls yesterday for our state primary here in Massachusetts, babysitting the electronic ballot marking machine which only 3 people used all day, so I was able to get a whole scarf finished and another one well on its way. I'll be posting pictures on my site soon.

I think it's a wonderful thing to get involved in and it's nice to see so many other people excited about it too!

MGM

weezie
09-19-2008, 01:41 PM
Hi, I just joined the forum today and hope I post correctly (my first post here!)

I want to make some scarves for the Special Olympics 2009 Winter Games.... Does anyone know if they still need some? Or who to contact to see if they do? The only contacts on their website were a mailing address and a phone number, but no email address. I would call, but hate to waste their time with such a question when they probably have so many more important things to do, so thought I'd ask here first if anyone knew of an email address or whether or not they were close to their 5000 scarves.

Thanks,
weezie

Mystery_Gyrl
09-20-2008, 03:24 PM
Hi, Weezie
Welcome to the group. No, I am unaware of an e-mail address where you may contact the Special Olympics about the count; however, because it is so early in the game they most likely have not reached the desired 5000 scarf mark yet (but I could be wrong). Since the due date isn't until Jan. 15th I would send in my scarf if you would like to participate.
Katrina

Mystery_Gyrl
09-20-2008, 03:31 PM
MGM,
Its cool to see so many people interested in the scarf "project," I have seen some really lovely scarves made on a few knit or crochet blogs. I do not have a Wal-mart near me, so I had to order some delft blue through the mail.
Katrina

weezie
09-22-2008, 06:41 PM
Thanks! I didn't think they'd be to 5000 yet, but I may call the number just to see if I can get some information on where they are at and if I find out anything I'll certainly post the info here for all who are participating.

I did get to WalMart and found the Delft blue... it's a pretty blue! I had three or four other blue colors in my stash, but of course, not this one! I almost have one scarf done already! I bought several skeins and am hoping to make 20 or so scarves if possible, but I see the oddball blanket charity thread and think that would be fun to participate in too, so I'll have to divide up my time for the time being.

I have a granddaughter who is special needs and I'm sure she'll be participating in the Special Olympics in a few years when she is old enough to, so this scarf project for the Special Olympics Winter Games will be a ton of fun to work on.

Almost done with scarf number one and will be headed to number two this evening.

Thanks all!
Weezie

weezie
09-27-2008, 05:00 PM
Hi again.... I called the Special Olympics Winter Games contact number and talked to a nice lady. There was a bit of a language barrier and I'm not sure she understood exactly what I was asking as far as how many scarves they had and if they needed more, and then I also didn't quite understand what she meant about people having picked up yarn there to take home and make scarves, and something about 1000 scarves.... maybe Coats and Clark donated some and they had enough yarn there for 1000 scarves and you could come and get it if you wanted to or something.... needless to say, it was sort of an interesting conversation....:wink:

Anyway, it didn't sound like they even had gotten any finished scarves in yet, but it was pretty clear that 5000 scarves are a lot of scarves and they probably could use more, so she said feel free to send some in.

I also did a search for the SOWG scarves and did find some blogs, etc., such as Mystery_Gyrl said, and they are very nice. I went to the Coates and Clark site and the patterns they have there are for scarves that are 5-1/2" wide by 50" long, but the SOWG site stated their guidelines were 4-1/2" by 50". I noticed on some blogs that they all seemed to vary in width from 5-6" and length from 50-60" and one place even mentioned that there was leeway in the size. I'm sticking closer to the 4-1/2x50... less yarn, more scarves!

I have made three so far and am working on a fourth. I found a lot of the Delft blue at WalMart, so picked up several skeins along with some white. If I get tired of making them, the blue is a beautiful color and I could always make a sweater for my grandson or something with what's left... or save it for next year's Winter Games, though I don't know if it's the same colors every year or not. I think the Coats and Clark site had something about the scarf project that contained pictures of a bunch of people looked like they were in a stadium all wearing these blue and white scarves, so maybe that was from last year.... anybody know about that? I could always call the committee again and ask. If so, then we could get a jump on making scarves for future years too.

Anyway, just letting you who are interested know that it sounds like they still want scarves, so knit or crochet away! :happydance:

Thanks,
Sandi

knitcindy
10-15-2008, 07:27 PM
I've been teaching a knitting/crocheting class to 10-12 year old girls and we've made quite a few of these!!!! The other teacher and myself have each made 4.

I am so glad to be able to help reach the goal of 5,000!!!!

knitcindy

Shandeh
10-19-2008, 10:59 PM
Here's my progress so far on my scarf for the campaign:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3249/2956631026_1484a457b4.jpg

I'm using the "Racing Stripes Scarf" pattern from the 2008 Knitting Pattern a Day calendar.

weezie
10-20-2008, 10:03 PM
Way to go knitcindy and Sandy... love the racing stripes pattern. And good luck to you teaching the new knitters knitcindy! It's great to know that the next generation knitters are up and coming.

I've been working on the Special Olympics scarves for a while now. I have about nine done and plan on doing several more, hopefully about 20 total if I have time... more if I have even more time, but Christmas is coming and I've got to get working on some things for that. I also am ready to send close to 40 hats to the homeless veterans' shelter near me that I worked on all through the summer in my spare time. I'd like to get the Special Olympic scarves done first so they can be sent on... so much I'd like to do... so little time!!

I'll try to post a picture of the some of the scarves I've done already... if I can figure out how to post it. I kept is simple, just blocks of alternating Delft blue and white, horizontal stripes, vertical stripes, and half-and-half... I like mindless knitting for the most part, and if I don't have to think much about it, I can usually do more!

Hope all of you are having a good time working on these scarves too!

Knit on!
Sandi

MGM
10-20-2008, 11:08 PM
Here (http://www.hookedonneedles.com/2008/09/crocheted-scarves-for-special-olympics.html) are two that I have crocheted for the SO, plus a little tutorial on fringe. I have another scarf on my knitting needles right now. Great project for a great cause!

MGM

weezie
10-20-2008, 11:30 PM
Beautiful scarves Mary Grace! I knit and crochet, but have only knit the Special Olympics scarves so far... you have inspired me to get out my crochet hook and try a few of those!

Your tutorial on the fringes was excellent too!

I mentioned earlier that I have a granddaughter with Down Syndrome, so this cause is truly near and dear to my heart as I know when she's old enough, she will be participating in the Special Olympics and I love that I can help in this small way. We have participated in the Buddy Walk locally a few times and the Down Syndrome group in our area is getting quite active again so I intend to do more with them as my granddaughter gets older. I believe you have to be 7 years old to actually participate in the Special Olympic games, so she has another year or so to go before then....

She is always interested in my knitting basket on the floor by my chair and attempts to grab the needles and project on them when I'm not looking! One time she just even grabbed what I was working on and put it in her lap and pretended she was knitting! It was so cute! I've already had a crochet hook in her hand (safer than knitting needles I thought!), though she's not catching on yet....but she will...:thumbsup: ... and I'm sure she'll be happy to make scarves for this project in years to come if they keep it going.

Thanks to all who are contributing!

Sandi

momwolf
10-22-2008, 11:45 AM
I'm in :cheering: I got my yarn yesterday.Gonna try and do a Illusion
Chart of the SO symbol.Wish me luck:teehee:

Everyone's scarfs look GREAT !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shandeh
10-23-2008, 05:25 AM
Welcome Julie, and good luck! :hug:

Mystery_Gyrl
10-23-2008, 07:42 AM
Hi, Julie:
I tried my hand at doing the Special Olympics Logo in illusion knitting (first time trying the technique). If I could my camera's blasted USB cable I would post the experimental picture. I used the chart posted on Ravelry. If you are a Ravelry member there is a nice S.O.S thread you can read.
Katrina

Here is the address:
http://www.ravelry.com/groups/special-olympics-scarf-project
Just type in "chart" in the box beneath the list of fresh discussion threads.

momwolf
10-23-2008, 07:48 AM
Katrina, Thanks!!Thats where I got the chart from,just making it into a Illusion chart now.:cheering:Got half done,I would have all of it done but my program kept closing and losing all my work:grrr:
Gonna finish the other have today:woohoo:

Mystery_Gyrl
10-23-2008, 08:10 AM
You're more savvy than I am, I worked it out by hand. :eyes: :zombie:
Katrina

momwolf
10-23-2008, 08:13 AM
I could of had it done by now if I had done it by hand:roflhard::roflhard:

MGM
11-10-2008, 09:00 AM
Another election day, another scarf! I posted my election day project here (http://www.hookedonneedles.com/2008/11/election-day-project-special-olympics.html) on my site along with a picture of what I made. Merryknitter should recognize the pattern...it's her wavy crochet pattern from her Noah's Ark blanket. I think it made a really cool looking scarf!

MGM

MGM
01-05-2009, 03:07 PM
In case any of you still have not mailed your Special Olympics Scarves out yet, the deadline is fast approaching. They need to be received by January 15th. Here is the address:

2009 Special Olympics World Winter Games Scarf Project
3150 West Main Street
Boise, Idaho 83702

With each scarf you may include a personal note to the athlete without any contact information included in the note. Contact information should be on a separate card so the Special Olympics staff can send a thank you.

Last I read, they had far exceeded their goal of 5000, by more than double! Amazing!

MGM

Shandeh
01-05-2009, 04:32 PM
Here's my one scarf, being mailed this week!
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3244/3153830698_44aea912c6.jpg

MGM
01-05-2009, 09:29 PM
Sandy, that's a great pattern! And so easy...all garter stitch. I know some lucky someone will stay warm in that.

MGM

knitcindy
01-08-2009, 09:16 PM
My knitting class made 15 scarves altogether! I just mailed them to the SO address last week, so hopefully they will be getting them in time.

Has anyone heard how many scarves they've gotten so far?

knitcindy

MGM
01-08-2009, 09:53 PM
My knitting class made 15 scarves altogether! I just mailed them to the SO address last week, so hopefully they will be getting them in time.

Has anyone heard how many scarves they've gotten so far?

knitcindy

According to their website (http://www.2009worldgames.org/volunteer/scarf-project), their goal was 5000 scarves for this winter's games and they have received over 14,000!

Isn't that fantastic? :woohoo:

I have a friend who has been saying for about 12 years that she would come over and let me teach her how to crochet. This project finally got her to actually do it. She did a great job on her scarf and was going to be mailing it earlier this week. I mailed 4 on Monday myself so I think they will arrive in good time.

MGM

knitcindy
05-28-2009, 05:21 PM
I read that their final scarf total was OVER 60,000 scarves!!!! Whoo-hoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

knitcindy