PDA

View Full Version : FO: Rick Ryan Jacket done!

ArtLady1981
08-26-2008, 09:33 PM
Pattern: My own version of a flight jacket aka bomber jacket
Yarn: Jo Sharp Silkroad DK Tweed> 12 skeins
Knit for: my only sibling, Rick Ryan!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3279/2801856788_2d73bc3df4.jpg?v=0

I still need to add facings to the inside of the buttonbands.
The black leather buttons are too heavy for the ribbing.
When the jacket is unbuttoned, the top button flops over. (sigh)

But, he loves it! With a white shirt and slacks for church, or with a pair of old blue jeans, as seen here, taken when he dropped by after work! Surprise! The jacket was ready for a try-on! I am also going to weave 4 rows of teensy (black) cord elastic through the bottom edge ribbing so that it fits his hips more snugly.

Here is a photo of how the pocket sits. The interior runs all the way over to the ribbing:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3086/2657230795_d5c6ce5aff.jpg?v=0

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3009/2801851914_575947fb68.jpg?v=0

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3091/2585054739_5decec4337.jpg?v=0

mwhite
08-26-2008, 10:00 PM
Very, Very Nice and it looks great on him! Fantastic color and as usual, you've done it very well!!! :yay: :yay: :yay:

scout52
08-26-2008, 10:05 PM
WOW that looks great. It fits him perfectly!! So far my own design trys have not turned out so well. You give me hope!!

bambi
08-26-2008, 10:06 PM
Great job! Perfect fit for him and look at how proud he looks of it!

Bambi

Daylilydayzed
08-26-2008, 11:39 PM
I am amazed that you knitted that! It looks like it fits him perfectly. I am lucky to have siblings since both of our parents have passed way. I have 3 sisters and one brother. I am the middle child of 5 .Of all of us I am the only one who sews, quilts and knits. I wish my mother could see everything I have made in the 5 years since she passed.

ArtLady1981
08-27-2008, 12:05 AM
I am amazed that you knitted that! It looks like it fits him perfectly. I am lucky to have siblings since both of our parents have passed way. I have 3 sisters and one brother. I am the middle child of 5 .Of all of us I am the only one who sews, quilts and knits. I wish my mother could see everything I have made in the 5 years since she passed.

Oh I know what you mean! My parents are both deceased...my brother and I are both 'craftsmen'! She never got to see us in our prime, cuz she died when she was in her prime (46 yrs old). He is a master woodworker, as well as a contractor/carpenter. And while I sell art for a living...I live for knitting! Anyway, my mother never really did see my knitting in full bloom! She was a seamstress, and she would have appreciated my knitting folder! I wish she was alive so that I could knit things for her!

Thanks for your kind words.

Gertie
08-27-2008, 12:08 AM
Great job on the bomber jacket. Thanks for the pic. :cheering:

Jan in CA
08-27-2008, 12:14 AM
It looks fabulous, Dollyce! I'm so glad he likes it! What will you face the button bands with?

gargoylelib
08-27-2008, 01:52 AM
That looks amazing! I really like how you did the pockets :)

Libbie

ritaw
08-27-2008, 01:58 AM
ANothe wonderful piece of knitting :) It looks great on him. Fits him perfectly!!

ArtLady1981
08-27-2008, 03:43 AM
It looks fabulous, Dollyce! I'm so glad he likes it! What will you face the button bands with?

Just as I did with my own blue (Debbie Bliss Donegal Tweed) Central Park Hoodie...I made a facing out of the yarn itself.

With my brother's...I am almost done! This time I did the facing a little smarter: I picked up stitches along the edge of the buttonband...knit 12 rows...then cast off on row 13. Then I folded it over and basted it to the inside edge that was the original pickup row for the buttonband ribbing itself. I did not do ribbing for the facing...just plain st st.

For the facing on the buttonhole side...I had to make buttonholes in the facing, of course. I used the "bind off 3" (on row 6)...then "cast on 3" on row7...then worked til row 12...then bind off on row 13 again.

The original buttonholes were 'bind off 4'...but I they were kind loosish with the weight of these great big heavy leather buttons. So the facing's buttonholes (being just bind off 3) will strengthen the buttonhole. I will, of course, bast them together...I think with DMC embroidery thread that's an exact match...using teensy invisible stitches...rather than self yarn, which will bulk the hole up.
Don't want that, but I'll keep an open mind.

I must say...the buttons like being stitched down through double thickness. They aren't floppy at all anymore.

I will post a photo of these facings...and also of the facings for my Central Park Hoodie, in which I had inserted/installed a zipper...so the edges of the ribbing seemed to need the stabilzation of the facings for some odd reason. I really like the outcome. Totally worth the effort. Just put in a movie, bite the bullet, and tinkrt with the thing til it's right! :thumbsup: Finishing techniques and the finishing touches can make or break a garment IMHO.

susi
08-27-2008, 04:21 AM
Oh I know what you mean! My parents are both deceased...my brother and I are both 'craftsmen'! She never got to see us in our prime, cuz she died when she was in her prime (46 yrs old). He is a master woodworker, as well as a contractor/carpenter. And while I sell art for a living...I live for knitting! Anyway, my mother never really did see my knitting in full bloom! She was a seamstress, and she would have appreciated my knitting folder! I wish she was alive so that I could knit things for her!

Thanks for your kind words.

i truley believe that there is an after life and they 'know' what you are doing. i know this is a bit yeah yeah yeah, but i do think that for example my gran is seeing what i do as i know how proud she'd be of me, and the fact i'l using HER patterns yarn and needles. i've not bought much as she had everything. i didnt do it when she was alive, i started month after she died.

the jacket is lovley though, the colours georgous. thin i will add tat yarn to the look at a pattern for the future list as dp would look fab in it. also the jacket hmmmm, not another one to add to the to do list :teehee:

Slim
08-27-2008, 07:14 AM
It's absolutely perfect! That yarn is the ideal choice for the design, and the fit couldn't be better. Beautiful work, as always. What a lucky brother!

dustinac
08-27-2008, 08:53 AM
:woot: Great job!!

robynbird
08-27-2008, 12:16 PM
REally nice!!!!

Jan in CA
08-27-2008, 12:28 PM
Just as I did with my own blue (Debbie Bliss Donegal Tweed) Central Park Hoodie...I made a facing out of the yarn itself.

Very clever! Good to know that info, too! :thumbsup:

Tropicflower24
08-27-2008, 12:34 PM
Way to go Artlady!!!! :) You always do a good job. :)

margz3
08-27-2008, 12:36 PM
Super!!! :cheering: Hopefully someday I'll be able to do something like that!

Debkcs
08-27-2008, 12:52 PM
Amazing piece of craftmanship. It looks so good on him, and here you were worried he wouldn't like it.

Great work!

BTW, just how do you sell art?

ArtLady1981
08-27-2008, 01:51 PM
....BTW, just how do you sell art?

I do home art shows, private consultations, etc. Please feel free to visit my website http://www.dollyce.com (http://www.dollyce.com/) I've been in the art biz since 1980!

Thanks for asking!

ArtLady1981
08-27-2008, 01:58 PM
Here are the facings for my brother's jacket, and the blue Central Park Hoodie for me. His heavy buttons were not being supported properly before the facings were added last night.
My CPH needed the facings for other reasons.

The lighting isn't the best, but I couldn't move it outside yet because the facings are still damp. I misted them earlier today.
His facings were picked up along the outermost edge of the ribbing...st st for 12 rows...the bind off on row 13. Fold over and sew into place. On the buttonhole ribbing, I had to make buttonholes on row 6&7...and then you have to stitch the buttonholes together...kind of like hand-sewn overcasting.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3252/2802954115_7b8f3a4d4c.jpg?v=0

Here is a photo of my CPH facings. They were knit separately from top to bottom, and then applied to the reverse side of the zipper's ribbing.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3133/2802954715_307fbf42dd.jpg?v=0

MerigoldinWA
08-27-2008, 02:27 PM
Dollyce,

That turned out very well. It looks good on Rick. I remember you were going to make a longer sweater, but he nixed that, and this is shorter. I expected your FO to look even shorter, more cropped. This looks like a very normal length. I think Rick was right about anything longer, it would have been too much. (Longer was more in a few years ago, but this looks more up-to-date. Your collar worked, and the pockets are nice. I love the leather buttons. Have you finally got the thing completely finished now? I'm sure the facings were a good idea, but to have to keep going back and doing things after you think you're done can be aggravating after a while. :eyes: You are very persevering. I didn't think the sweater needed the elastic, but if he needs that snugness to be absolutely happy, sis will do that too. The perfectionist in you can now rest. :thumbsup:

You're right about the versatility of this garment. It will look sharp with a shirt and tie, and casual with jeans. Great wardrobe item.

I didn't PM you about my latest FO. Did you see it? It was a little gansey sweater for my DGD. If you missed it, see--"Baby Gansey". I'm working on a hat to match right now.

laikabear
08-27-2008, 11:58 PM
The jacket looks great. I agree you get a gold star for doing all the extra finishing. But your work always looks great because of it! :muah:

I always thought you were "Artlady" because you're so "crafty." :rofl: I checked out your site, what a cool concept!

I went to an art exhibit in Salt Lake City a few weeks ago and fell in love with a Cezanne painting they had there (Mont Saint-Victoire). I was all psyched to buy a poster of it in the gift shop, but the colors were so different. It didn't do the original justice AT ALL. And, I don't think I can afford the original. :rofl:

Hygiene Mama
08-28-2008, 06:50 AM
Nice job!:heart:

sue in canada
08-28-2008, 08:00 AM
Looks great as always. Love the look of that yarn.

GirlChris
08-28-2008, 02:37 PM
Awesome job ! It looks amazing.

KnittingNat
08-28-2008, 03:00 PM
Looking really good:thumbsup:! It was a bumpy road, this jacket, wasn't it? But it turned out to be super!

Ben10
08-28-2008, 04:04 PM
I hope one day to be able to knit like this . Lovely work!

Skater
08-28-2008, 05:37 PM
That is really great! I love the cables going up the sleeves.

For the first time ever, I've added cables to the front and sleeves of a sweater, and I feel so clever! It's not half as hard as I thought it would be.

auburnchick
08-28-2008, 06:30 PM
What a lucky brother!

GREAT job!

Sewing Angel
08-28-2008, 08:22 PM
That is a great jacket and it fits him wonderfully! You did a great job. It was really interesting how you went back and put the facings on both of those jackets. What a great solution! He's lucky to have a great sister like you!

twoxover
08-29-2008, 07:28 AM
i'm just amazed at your talent! can i come to artlady camp and learn???

betsey

ArtLady1981
08-29-2008, 01:01 PM
My brother came by after work last night and took his sweater home!
I also provided him with a zippered sweater bag!

He is so happy with it! Phew! :teehee:

mhansen
08-29-2008, 02:14 PM
Wish I could see it. Is there a trick to this? I looked for a link all over and couldn't find one.

ArtLady1981
08-29-2008, 02:37 PM
Wish I could see it. Is there a trick to this? I looked for a link all over and couldn't find one.

Hi!

What trick? Adding the facings on the underside of the button/buttonhole bands? Or under the zipper? Or, installing the zipper itself?

Well, in all 3 cases, I devised the technique myself. I didn't use a book or tutorial.
I just kinda tinkered around til I landed on a solution.

Tell me which technique you are interested in. I'll try to help you.

Thanks for your interest in my knitting!

Hugs,

Artlady

mhansen
08-29-2008, 05:12 PM
Hi!

What trick? Adding the facings on the underside of the button/buttonhole bands? Or under the zipper? Or, installing the zipper itself?

Well, in all 3 cases, I devised the technique myself. I didn't use a book or tutorial.
I just kinda tinkered around til I landed on a solution.

Tell me which technique you are interested in. I'll try to help you.

Thanks for your interest in my knitting!

Hugs,

Artlady

Actually I can't see the picture. I was wondering if there was a link to it that I can't find. I am actually interested in anything that you make because you are very good. I only hope to someday be able to knit as well as you do. Thank you.

ArtLady1981
08-29-2008, 06:00 PM
Actually I can't see the picture. I was wondering if there was a link to it that I can't find. I am actually interested in anything that you make because you are very good. I only hope to someday be able to knit as well as you do. Thank you.

Hmmm, that's strange! You can't see my photos?

Well...they are uploaded into FLICKR. I "copy image location" in FLICKR, then post them into the body of our KH posts.

Here is a direct link for you:

THIS IS A PHOTO OF MY BROTHER WEARING HIS JACKET.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27848723@N00/2801008597/

This is a photo of the FACINGS.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27848723@N00/2808948723/

Once you are in my FLICKR folder, you can view my other knittings! My FLICKR is not set to private.

WandaT
08-30-2008, 08:03 AM
Absolutely gorgeous - as always!! Both the fit and color are perfect!

mwedzi
08-31-2008, 12:19 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3279/2801856788_2d73bc3df4.jpg?v=0

But, he loves it! With a white shirt and slacks for church,

Oh, I can totally picture that. That would be a nice outfit. It looks great, and I love the tweed. Very sophisticated.

mhansen
08-31-2008, 01:25 PM
Hmmm, that's strange! You can't see my photos?

Well...they are uploaded into FLICKR. I "copy image location" in FLICKR, then post them into the body of our KH posts.

Here is a direct link for you:

THIS IS A PHOTO OF MY BROTHER WEARING HIS JACKET.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27848723@N00/2801008597/

This is a photo of the FACINGS.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27848723@N00/2808948723/

Once you are in my FLICKR folder, you can view my other knittings! My FLICKR is not set to private.

Thank you very much and the sweater is beautiful!!

bethany
09-01-2008, 09:03 PM
turned out fantastic. He looks happy about it too. :) Dimples