PDA

View Full Version : Best Chicken Recipe?

Crycket
09-05-2008, 03:48 AM
Hello there...

I thought everyone might rise to a challenge.

I have been making chicken for my hubby-to-be lately (we have a farmers market near by and the chicken delicious!)

Just wanted to know what everyones favorite was!

Mine so far is definatly....

http://www.recipezaar.com/54988

Knitting_Guy
09-05-2008, 07:31 AM
My favorite chicken recipe is pretty simple. Chicken and yellow rice.

Boil chicken. I use boneless but if not, de-bone after chicken cools.

Tear boiled chicken into small pieces (if you had to de-bone this step is probably already done).

Make yellow rice according to package directions.

Add chicken to rice , along with some early baby peas.

Allow all to play together on low heat for a few minutes.

Eat. (my favorite step)

MMario
09-05-2008, 10:15 AM
I've always found the BEST chicken is a simple roasted chicken. Just salt and pepper the cavity, rub with a little butter or oil and perhaps a dash of garlic.

jess_hawk
09-05-2008, 10:24 AM
I usually include chicken in a stir fry, but my favorite is when dad grills it with a little bit of seasoning salt and serves with potatoes and onions (grilled in butter).

One that I am trying to re-create: When I was in Australia, I found a packet of "Hainanese Chicken" spices at Cole's. The directions said to cube the chicken, boil it, then remove from water and boil rice in this water. I don't remember if the spices were put in the rice, on the chicken, or both, but it was amazing. It had a very light flavor, and was a big hit with all of my friends, particularly after a week of overpowering Peanut Satay leftovers! Anyway, I'm searching for a simple recipe that has the same flavors - I have some options but haven't gotten to the store to buy things yet.

knitasha
09-05-2008, 10:32 AM
I've always found the BEST chicken is a simple roasted chicken. Just salt and pepper the cavity, rub with a little butter or oil and perhaps a dash of garlic.

Simple and delicious -- but SO hard to do perfectly. I salute anyone who can turn out a great roast chicken every time. The temperature, the quality of the chicken, whether you put it in a hot oven then lower the heat or keep it at an even temperature, the phase of the moon -- there are so many variables. After years of trying (and reading Cooks' Magazine) I still can't be sure I'll turn out a flabby bird with dry meat or something edible.

Meanwhile, there's always Chicken Scarpariello. (Shoemaker style.)
Brown chicken parts in olive oil (not extra-virgin); sprinkle with chopped garlic, let the garlic soften but not brown. Cover and cook until chicken is done. Uncover, add salt, pepper and lemon juice, stir and cook a few minutes to make a thin sauce. Best with skin-on thighs, legs and breasts, but we use skinless cutlets to reduce the fat.

Crycket
09-05-2008, 01:07 PM
I usually include chicken in a stir fry, but my favorite is when dad grills it with a little bit of seasoning salt and serves with potatoes and onions (grilled in butter).

One that I am trying to re-create: When I was in Australia, I found a packet of "Hainanese Chicken" spices at Cole's. The directions said to cube the chicken, boil it, then remove from water and boil rice in this water. I don't remember if the spices were put in the rice, on the chicken, or both, but it was amazing. It had a very light flavor, and was a big hit with all of my friends, particularly after a week of overpowering Peanut Satay leftovers! Anyway, I'm searching for a simple recipe that has the same flavors - I have some options but haven't gotten to the store to buy things yet.

Take a look here...is this it?
It looks like a lot of steps :shock:

http://www.recipezaar.com/133760

MMario
09-05-2008, 02:25 PM
from the looks of the recipe the "hainenese" spice was probably just a mix of ginger and garlic and salt.

bambi
09-05-2008, 02:33 PM
How many chicken recipes do you want?

BH&G Grilled Chicken June 1971

6 pieces chicken
17 ounce apricots, canned, drained and chopped
1/2 cup apricot juice, reserved from can
1/4 cup ketchup
2 tablespoons onion, chopped
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon Worchester sauce
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard

In a saucepan, combine all ingredients and add the reserved apricot juice. Cook until sauce thickens and baste chicken with sauce as it cooks.

bambi
09-05-2008, 02:35 PM
You can do this with ground chicken or put a lb of chicken chunks in a food processor with the rest of the ingredients. I have to add a little sweet thai chili sauce to the sauce to get it thin enough.

Chicken Burgers with Peanut Sauce

Servings: 4

Ingredients:

Sauce:
2 T peanut butter
2 t low-sodium soy sauce
1 1/2 t dk. sesame oil
1 t water
1 t rice vinegar
1 garlic clove, minced

Burgers:
1/2 cup finely chopped green onions
1 T chile paste with garlic
2 t peeled, grated fresh ginger
2 t low-sodium soy sauce
1/4 t salt
1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast, chopped
cooking spray
4 (2 oz) sandwich rolls w/ sesame seeds
1 cup onion sprouts or alfalfa sprouts

Directions:
To prepare sauce, combine first six ingredients; stirring well w/ a whisk.

Prepare grill; place onions and next 5 ingredients in food processor; process until coarsely ground. Divide mixture into 4 equal portions, shaping each into a 1/2 inch thick patty.

Grill 4 minutes on each side or until done. Grill rolls, cut side down, for a minute or until toasted. Place 1 patty on each roll, top with 1/4 cup sprouts, 1 T sauce.

Nutritional Information
CALORIES 341(28% from fat); FAT 10.6g (sat 3.2g,mono 3.5g,poly 3.3g); IRON 2.7mg; CHOLESTEROL 49mg; CALCIUM 67mg; CARBOHYDRATE 32.8g; SODIUM 769mg; PROTEIN 28.5g; FIBER 2.5g

bambi
09-05-2008, 02:37 PM
PF Chang's Chicken Lettuce Wrap Clones
16 ounces skinless boneless chicken breast
8 ounces canned water chestnuts
1 1/2 cups fresh shiitake mushrooms
1 cup scallions
1 tablespoon sesame oil (try peanut oil and finish with sesame oil)
3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon cornstarch (omit to make this CORE)
3 cups Iceberg lettuce
cellophane noodles (optional and not included in points)

1. Wash and separate 8 - 10 ice berg lettuce leaves. Refrigerate covered with a wet paper towel until ready to use.
2. Finely dice chicken breasts, mushrooms, green onions and water chestnuts.
3. Heat sesame oil in a large pan. Add chicken and cook until it starts to brown, stirring constantly. Add waterchestnuts and mushrooms. Add 2 Tablespoons of soy sauce. Cook until chicken is brown. Add green onions.
4. In a small bowl, dissolve cornstarch in 1 tablespoon of soy sauce (use a whisk to remove lumps). Add to skillet. Cover and simmer 5 minutes until sauce thickens. Remove to serving plate. Place several spoonfuls of chicken mixture in lettuce leaves and roll up burrito style. Serve over cooked cellophane noodles. Serve with extra soy sauce for dipping.
Serves 4
Per serving: 217 calories, 3 g fiber, 5 g fat
Lettuce Wraps Clone

bambi
09-05-2008, 02:42 PM
Peruvian Chicken and Rice

1 whole chicken, cut up and skinned
1 bunch cilantro
1-3 cloves garlic, minced
1 large onion, chopped
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups water
1 cup uncooked rice

Blend water and cilantro in a blender. Sweat onion and garlic until onion is translucent. Add chicken and brown on both sides. Add water and cilantro mixture and salt and poach chicken until done. Spoon chicken out of liquid and set aside. Add rice and cook until rice is tender then re-add chicken.

Serve with a side of diced tomatoes, seasoned with salt and lime juice.

bambi
09-05-2008, 02:44 PM
This is great for that leftover baked chicken or those thanksgiving turkey leftovers (for the US crowd). May not even take 8 oz chicken:

Chicken Enchiladas

6 Servings

Ingredients:
8 oz chicken breast, cooked, skinless
1/2 tsp table salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 small onion(s)
1 clove garlic clove(s)
12 small corn tortilla(s)
12 sprays cooking spray
2 oz monterey cheese
8 oz reduced-fat sour cream
1/2 small onion(s)
2 Tbsp canned jalapeno peppers
1 cup fat-free, reduced-sodium chicken broth

Instructions:
Cook chicken with 1/2 chopped onion, chopped garlic, salt, pepper, and cumin. Chop chicken mixture finely and set aside. Shred cheese and set aside. Coat each tortilla with cooking spray and heat for 30 seconds per side in skillet. Roll tortillas with chicken and cheese and set in casserole dish. Set aside. In saucepan, saute 1/2 chopped onion and jalapenos until translucent. Whisk in broth and sour cream. Pour over enchiladas. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes

bambi
09-05-2008, 02:46 PM
Some of my fav sites for recipes are cookinglight.com and eatingwell.com if I need a bit of inspiration. Also, you could use the chicken burger recipe I posted to stuff wonton wrapper and make pot stickers.

Can you tell that cooking is my other fav hobby?

B

Crycket
09-05-2008, 03:37 PM
Ha Bambi...you are too funny! I will definatly have a go with a few of those! *winks*

The.Knitter
09-07-2008, 05:23 PM
I came up with this recipe at the trailer and it works really well on the bbq as well as in the oven.

CRANBERRY ORANGE CHICKEN
First pierce or score and then marinate four boneless skinless chicken breasts, in half a bottle of Kraft Mandarin Sesame Salad Dressing (475 ml), overnight (or for 12 hours) in the refrigerator. Remove chicken from salad dressing and coat with Chicken Shake and Bake or any chicken coating that you like. Bake in the oven at 350F for twenty minutes. While the chicken is cooking, combine one can of whole berry cranberry sauce, one half tsp. of ground cloves and the half bottle of salad dressing you marinated the chicken in. I sometimes also add a small can of mandarin orange pieces chopped into the sauce if I am using the recipe for dinner guests. When the chicken has baked for twenty minutes pour the sauce over the chicken, return to oven and bake for another twenty minutes. Serve with rice or my DH's personal favourite is to have this recipe with Stove Top Stuffing and a vegetable or two.

Plantgoddess+
09-07-2008, 05:28 PM
My DH's favorite is Chicken Piccata.
4 boneless halves of chicken breast
2 tbsp cooking oil
1/2 cup chopped onions
couple cloves minced garlic
tbsp of dry sherry
tbsp of chicken broth
tbsp of lemon juice
chopped parsley
Flatten boneless chicken breasts between pieces of wax paper. Dust with flour. Heat frying pan with tbsp of oil and add chicken. Brown on both sides until cooked, about 10 minutes. Remove chicken and add a little more oil and add the onions and garlic and saute until lightly browned. Remove onions and garlic and add sherry, stir to deglaze pan. Add broth and lemon juice and return chicken and onion/garlic to pan. Sprinkle with chopped parsley and turn chicken to coat and serve.

Duessa
09-07-2008, 08:54 PM
well, we eat chicken more than ANYTHING else so here goes a few of the top favs!

Home made chicken strips (lol I know but it's the BF's fav)
2-3 servings

1-2 boneless skinless breasts sliced thin (about 1/4 an inch)
1 egg
bread crumbs
seasonings
butter (melted)

Beat the egg. dip chicken slices (egg wash). Roll Chicken in the bread crumbs that you have added your own spices to. We use cayenne, garlic, salt (very little), fresh ground black pepper, chili powder, and red pepper (this is the HOT version. I go with my whim) Once the chicken is coated place on a cookie sheet and drizzle melted butter over it. You DON'T want to drown the chicken but this will make the baked chicken crunchy! Nice alternative to deep frying. bake on 400 degrees for about 20 ish minutes. I never time this. The breading should be crunchy and the chicken cooked!

Chicken parmesan (my fav)
2-4 servings

2-4 chicken boneless skinless breast halves
1 egg
melted butter
1 jar of your fav spaghetti sauce
Italian bread crumbs
dry italian dressing mix
spaghetti (or other fav pasta)
fav cheese (we use mozz because it melts easier)

Beat the egg
dip your chicken in the egg
mix the bread crumbs and the italian dressing mix and roll the chicken in it. (sometimes I add italian seasoning, garlic, etc)
place chicken in a baking dish and drizzle melted butter over it.
put in over 375-400 degrees until the breading starts to brown.
boil your pasta and heat the sauce. I add seasonings and cheese to my prego. Pour a little sauce on top of and around each breast half. let cook for a few more minutes. Sprinkle cheese on top. Cook until melted.
To serve: place the chicken on top of the pasta and drizzle sauce over all! Add garlic bread and some nice wine or champagne and you are set!

Gourmet chicken (very simple!)
2-4 boneless skinless breast halves
1 family sized can cream of mushroom soup
1 package of italian dressing mix
1 package cream cheese
pasta, rice, couscous (your choice!)
lima beans (or another veggie, this is our tradition)

let the cream cheese set out until softened (maybe the day before!)
mix the cream cheese, soup, and dressing mix in the crock pot. Add the chicken. Cook until the chicken is done! I don't have times and temps because I just toss this in whenever. I've cooked on high for a few hours and low all day!

serve the chicken and the gravy over pasta, rice, couscous, and steamed lima beans. potatos work too!

One more! I love this website!
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Anniversary-Chicken-I/Detail.aspx

Sunshine's Mom
09-12-2008, 11:13 AM
Chicken Divan -

In a casserole dish

1 can Cream of Mushroom soup
1 can Cream of Chicken soup
Any kind of veggies you like (I like broccoli and cauliflower)
Chicken Breasts (skinless, boneless)
1 cup Minute rice
Bread crumbs

Put all ingredients in dish. Top with bread crumbs. Put in 350 deg. oven for 1 hour or until chicken is cooked through and it's bubbly. Enjoy!

cacunn
09-12-2008, 11:38 AM
I start brineing my chickens after finding out how good a brined turkey was. They always come out moist and tender. Basically you soak the chicken or turkey over night in a salt solution. This draws and locks in the moisture that cooking normally bakes out.

I normally fake the recipe but start with any of a number from FoodNetWork (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/michael-symon/honey-brined-chicken-with-lemon-and-sage-recipe/index.html).

Next time I want to try a Maple Syrup glaze on which ever foul comes up first.

Miss Kittie
09-12-2008, 12:14 PM
My fav.
Beer-Butt Chicken
1 whole chicken (about 3 pounds)
1 tablespoon sweet paprika ( I use regular)
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon Black pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenna powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
mix together- after you wash the chicken and pat dry, rub this mix all over inside and out..
1 can 12 oz. beer
small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, diced
Pour off about 1/2 the beer and stuff the garlic and onion in the can.
Ease the chicken over the beer can, feet down until the chicken is resting on the can and the legs.
Grill for and 1-1 1/2 hour, until the legs and wings wiggle easily.
Or in oven at 350.

knitpurlgurl
09-12-2008, 12:54 PM
I make balsamic chicken and serve over angel hair pasta with diced tomatoes and basil to garnish. I take equal parts balsamic vinegar, EVOO, and sugar and blend well. Meanwhile, brown chicken coated in herb and garlic seasoned salt in skillet. Then pour enough of vinegar mixture to cover chicken. Add a can of italian diced tomatoes. Simmer until mixture reduces by half and has thickened. Prepare angel hair pasta according box instructions. Place cooked pasta on platter. Put chiken and sauce over top. Garnish with more diced tomatoes and basil.

ecb
09-13-2008, 03:58 AM
my version of "Sunday Chicken" from the I Hate to Cook Book

Chicken, cooked or not
Med Sweet onion
some granny smith apples
Curry Powder
Cream of ___ Soup
Bag of Frozen Mixed veggies, your choce
Milk
Butter

sautee Onions in butter and curry powder
add peeled cored sliced apples, and coat with butter
simmer till flavors mixed well
If chicken is not cooked add while flavors are mixing till cooked
If Chicken is leftover, put in baking dish then pour Frozen veggies in baking dish
pour Cream of soup into simmering flavors, mix with enough milk to make the sauce the right consistency, while adding as much zip and curry powder as needed for taste
then pour over the veggies and bake for about 30 min

IF you have a steamer, put a red zinger tea instead of just water when you cook your rice.

Most people love this once they try it

ecb
09-13-2008, 04:03 AM
I take equal parts balsamic vinegar, EVOO, and sugar and blend well.
So a Quarter of a Cup of Sugar, a Quarter of a Cup of Balsalmic Vinegar, and a Quarter of a Cup of Olive oil

I rarely use sugar in cooking entrees, so i want to be sure

ecb

cheley
09-13-2008, 05:44 PM
Simple and delicious -- but SO hard to do perfectly. I salute anyone who can turn out a great roast chicken every time. The temperature, the quality of the chicken, whether you put it in a hot oven then lower the heat or keep it at an even temperature, the phase of the moon -- there are so many variables. After years of trying (and reading Cooks' Magazine) I still can't be sure I'll turn out a flabby bird with dry meat or something edible.

Meanwhile, there's always Chicken Scarpariello. (Shoemaker style.)
Brown chicken parts in olive oil (not extra-virgin); sprinkle with chopped garlic, let the garlic soften but not brown. Cover and cook until chicken is done. Uncover, add salt, pepper and lemon juice, stir and cook a few minutes to make a thin sauce. Best with skin-on thighs, legs and breasts, but we use skinless cutlets to reduce the fat.O.k. try this..I always( of course wash off inside and out) pat dry, then salt and butter inside the cavity and outside all the skin (kinda give it a good rub-down) then under all the skin (breast, legs etc) I always shove fresh garlic under with more butter. cram some garlic, onion pieces and seasonings in the cavity...I always use carrotts and celery to hike the little guy up ( cause I am too cheap to buy a fancy rack) put some chicken or veg broth around him, bake at a very low heat ( 335) for a few hours, remove the lid and let brown...da da there ya go..works everytime for me (PS- always grosses me out to cook em that way but it's worth the praise afterwords) Turkeys too:ick:

Crycket
09-13-2008, 09:32 PM
I am loving this thread....so many tasty tasty things...

losnana
09-14-2008, 08:59 AM
I am loving this thread....so many tasty tasty things...
ME TOO!!

Plantgoddess+
09-14-2008, 06:38 PM
There are some great recipes here, it almost makes me want to go to the kitchen and cook---almost.

cacunn
09-16-2008, 01:20 PM
Try roasting your chicken breast side down. The juice from the legs and thighs will run down into the breast. Turn over for the last 15 minutes to brown breast skin.

I've seen a number of recipes in other threads, there needs to be a separate thread "KnittingHelp Cook Book"

Crycket in

http://tickers.tickerfactory.com/ezt/d/4;10701;98/st/20081031/e/My+Wedding/k/da35/event.png

(plus 2 week honeymoon) could then print it out and give it to her new husband, pointing toward the kitchen. :rofl:

Hey I'm a guy I can get away with male bashing.

MoniDew
09-21-2008, 12:44 PM
I've seen a number of recipes in other threads, there needs to be a separate thread "KnittingHelp Cook Book"
Here, here!! :cheering: :yay:
________
YAMAHA DT200 HISTORY (http://www.yamaha-tech.com/wiki/Yamaha_DT200)

Hildegard_von_Knittin
09-21-2008, 06:28 PM

We do talk about food a lot, don't we???

I'm having Oven Fry chicken tonight... it's like Shake and Bake, but better!!!!!!!!!

Daylilydayzed
09-21-2008, 07:55 PM
This is a recipe my mother used to fiv:
Take one chicken , cut into pieces. Place a casserole dish on table and place 2cups of rice in the dish. Place chicken on top of rice, sprinkle the contents of a dry onion soup packet over the chicken and the rice. Then take one can of cream of mushroom soup and a can of waterpour over the chicken and rice. Rinse the can of soup out and use the rinsing water as the can of water.
Place in a hot oven aat 350 degrees and cook for 1 hour.

After you pour the water in , stir it around so the liquid gets down in the rice.

Puddinpop
09-21-2008, 10:13 PM
cellophane noodles (optional and not included in points)

Where do you find cellophane noodles and what are they made of?

MoniDew
09-22-2008, 03:40 AM
Where do you find cellophane noodles and what are they made of?
You can find them in the asian food aisle of the grocery store or in an asian market. They can be rice noodles, or mung bean noodles. Sometimes, they are made of another type of starch. You don't boil them like pasta. You pour boiling water over them and let them soak until softened. Then drain them and toss them into your stir-fry (or whatever.)
________
Hiroshima Plant (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Hiroshima_Plant)