PDA

View Full Version : Ladies, plastic surgery; anyone here had B.R.?

Sharly
09-10-2008, 01:27 PM
Hey Ladies!! I need some girl talk, so naturally I came here to get the 411!
I have a consult scheduled in a few weeks with a plastic surgeon to discuss breast reduction/lift. I also want to talk to him about liposuction and/or tummy tuck. Has anyone here had these procedures, and if you are willing to share, what can you tell me? I'm particularly interested in experiences with B.R.
Thanks!!

Jan in CA
09-10-2008, 03:51 PM
I haven't, but I've thought about it for years so I'll be watching this thread. I fear it's too expensive, that they will think I am not big enough to need it, etc. :doh:

susi
09-10-2008, 03:58 PM
I haven't, but I've thought about it for years so I'll be watching this thread. I fear it's too expensive, that they will think I am not big enough to need it, etc. :doh:
hmm, its something i've toyed with as well, for me its stretch marks after having my son that i want rid of. i have seriously thought when i decide i dont want any more kids i may go ahead with it one day.

i'd love to know real stories about it not what they want you to know as well

Sunshine's Mom
09-10-2008, 04:10 PM
A girlfriend of mine had breast reduction surgury about 2 or 3 years ago. She was really large and had terrible back pain because of "the girls". She went from a quite large DD to a C. Unfortunately, she was so gung-ho to go through with it that she only went to one plastic surgeon. He showed her his book of before and afters (of course, all the good jobs) and she walked out of his office having scheduled her surgery. Needless to say, her husband wasn't too happy about it. He wanted her to consult with many doctors, not just one.

She doesn't regret the surgery, but she does regret not having shopped around for a plastic surgeon. She has massive scars (from her armpits, underneath the breast to the other side of the the breast and from just under the nipple to the the bottom cut). The scars have faded somewhat, but they're still obvious. And she has some puckering of the skin near her armpit on at least one side, that still gives her some irritation and looks kind of weird. But, it's not like she goes around flashing her boobs, so it is what it is. She's kind of butchered, but her back is much better so - there you go. She's not unhappy she did it, but would do it differently if she could go back in time.

In the end, I suggest you have consultations with a few doctors and try to get references from them or ask if you can contact any past patients. Sometimes they may have patients that have said it is okay for them to be contacted. It can't hurt to ask.

Good luck. I hope it all works out okay.

scout52
09-10-2008, 05:03 PM
My girlfriend got it done. She shopped around and was VERY happy with it. She was very large in the boob dept. She went from like a FF? to like a C. She had extreme back pain. Her plastic surgeon was able to get the surgery covered by insurance. I would see if you could as well. i believe you have to go down at least two cup sizes to get covered and have some issues, ie back pain or breathing issues. She has had minimal scarring and was back to work the next week. good luck!!

nephthys8
09-10-2008, 05:06 PM
In the end, I suggest you have consultations with a few doctors and try to get references from them or ask if you can contact any past patients. Sometimes they may have patients that have said it is okay for them to be contacted. It can't hurt to ask.

Seconded. This is really ture with any surgery, but plastic surgery of any kind is (obviously) visible. I am young and small-chested (I wear B bras, but truthfully, I am probably still an A) so I have thought seriously about having implants done. I realize that the two procedures are different, but I think that there are special ways to have either of them done so as to reduce scarring. For example, from my understanding, there are two different kinds of implants you can get, and 3 different ways of inserting them (a traditional, under breast cut, through one's nipple, and arthroscopically via the belly button--which creates the least amount of visible scarring).

I know next to nothing about reductions, but I'm willing to bet that the same is true for different ways of having it done, so definitely shop around.

Jan in CA
09-10-2008, 05:22 PM
Oh boy..I would love to be a B or maybe even an A. Small breasted women can wear padded bras, large breasted women have NO options. My shoulders are killing me as I type this. I'm really "only" a DD or maybe D, but would probably try to go down to at least a C if I could. I've already lost 20 lbs and under 130 lbs now, but it hasn't helped upstairs. Arrggg. :doh:

vaknitter
09-10-2008, 10:19 PM
I tease the hubby all the time that he better get a good job and start saving now b/c after I have children he's paying for a tummy tuck and a boob lift.

My cousin had a breast reduction and I believe ins paid a major portion of it b/c of back pain and difficulty with ADL's. She has very little scarring and is known to walk around braless in tank tops exclaiming "I love my new boobs - do you love my new boobs?" Not really a shy person ;) Her recovery sounded relatively easy (we were in different states at that time) - she wore a surgical bra for a couple of months. I think she got one small infection that was cleared easily with antibiotics. She is not married and young so she was a little nervous about letting anyone she was dating see them b/c men make stupid comments when they see that someone decreased their boob size - as if it should be illegal. She has since found that as the scars fade (massage daily for months with cocoa butter and vit E) guys really don't notice and/or don't care.

Jan in CA
09-11-2008, 01:14 AM
My cousin had a breast reduction and I believe ins paid a major portion of it b/c of back pain and difficulty with ADL's.

ADL's? :?? Her reaction is hilarious! :lol:

evona
09-11-2008, 01:32 AM
My DD is thinking about having a BR. She is currently wearing a DD bra, but really should go up one more now. I have Kaiser and her doctor has told her that because she is actually a very petite girl the size of her chest is seriously causing problems. She has trouble with her back and breathing and she actually has nerve problems because of them. Plus she can't exercise because any bounce hurts like heck and there just isn't a sports bra out there that fits right for her. In any case, Kaiser requires that she take classes before having the surgery done and consult with a number of professionals. They will cover it 100% though.

Debkcs
09-11-2008, 02:10 AM
:) ADL's are 'activities of daily living'. Like putting on your shoes, or vacuuming, etc.

My dear sweet MIL had a pound and a half taken off each side. Go heft a pound and a half of hamburger and see what it's like. She was a much happier person afterward, she didn't have half inch deep indentations on her shoulders anymore, and the surgeon was so good. He even managed to get her nipples back in the right place, which is supposedly very difficult when taking off a lot. Her back pain went away also, which made us all rejoice for her,she had been just miserable with it, or them, whatever. :) My older SIL and I joked that we'd have each happily taken a pound from her.

scout52
09-11-2008, 02:28 AM
:)My dear sweet MIL had a pound and a half taken off each side.
:noway: :passedout:

I don't have a pound and half TOGETHER!!!! That poor woman!!!! She must feel so much better!!

Debkcs
09-11-2008, 02:32 AM
I'm sorry, I'm still talking about her in the present tense. She had her surgery close to twenty five years ago. She died last month, but the difference in her after the surgery was amazing, as she no longer had that horrible back pain. Afterwards, she actually started walking a couple of miles every day and enjoying it.

Knit4Pie
09-11-2008, 06:13 AM
My friend's mother had it done and she was very happy with it. She had more scarring on one than the other, but it was not because of the surgery. I can't remember exactly now, but something happened when she was home that damaged the healing incision or something. Otherwise, her back problems really eased up for her.

I've already lost 20 lbs and under 130 lbs now, but it hasn't helped upstairs. Arrggg. :doh:

Too bad we couldn't switch places. About 6 or so years ago, I lost alot of weight. I remember when I was with my best friend, looking down at my sweater and saying to her "Losing weight is great, but I sure miss the girls!" I was a comfortable C before, and after the C was quite loose. It was noticeable to me.

cheley
09-11-2008, 07:52 AM
What about "facial" surgery???? I have these really ugly "bumps" under my eyes...I visited a derm/plastic surgeon last week... (btw very beautiful Doc from India, with skin like a babies but)after the b--ch session about SUNSCREEN, AND HOW TO USE IT!!!!! THEN PRESCRIBING, BOTOX, FILLER, AND LOTS OF LASER WORK!!!! She informed me that these "bumps" aren't removable, they are growths:ick:...so after a $5000.00 "estimate" I decided (since "she" can't get rid of em and my self esteem has been "tarnished") I better go to therapy and get to "like" what I see in the mirror!!!! OR DR. RAE 90210, are you knitting with us????

laikabear
09-11-2008, 10:34 AM
There is a Ravelry group called the Bustline that may have more info for you! Ladies with DD, F, even H sizes with good places to get bras, and I'm sure many of them have at least considered surgery.
(Personally, I don't have any info... I belong to the Rav group Itty Bitty Titty Committee...) :rofl:

Sharly
09-11-2008, 10:39 AM
Wow, thanks everyone for your input! I do have a personal recommendation for the Doc I'll be seeing. A friend from a few years ago that I have lost touch with used him and was very pleased. I should probably try to find her to see if she is still happy long-term.
I don't know yet if the insurance might cover it for me. I'm not a petite girl, so that's not an issue. I am overweight, but hope that with a reduction I will feel like exercising more. I have lost around 30 pounds and have kept it off for a while. I've pretty much quit trying, though. I'm hopeful that a change like this would kick-start me back to exercising. I am currently an "F" cup, which is the equivalent of a "DDD" (I like to say I am now appearing in 3-D) :) I would love to be a "C" cup. I do have the "groovy" shoulders, and have recently been noticing upper back, shoulder and neck pain. My posture is really suffering, too.
Anyway, thanks everyone for sharing what you know, and multiple consults is probably very good advice. I would still like to hear from someone who has personally undergone this, too!
Debkcs - so sorry to hear of your MIL's passing. I had an angel of an MIL that we lost in 2001. I know how hard that can be.

scout52
09-11-2008, 01:10 PM
(Personally, I don't have any info... I belong to the Rav group Itty Bitty Titty Committee...) :rofl:

:rofl: :rofl: I should join!! That is where I belong when I take them off at night!! :rofl: :rofl:

Debkcs
09-11-2008, 01:19 PM
Thank you, Sharly.

Sharly
09-11-2008, 01:43 PM
There is a Ravelry group called the Bustline that may have more info for you! Ladies with DD, F, even H sizes with good places to get bras, and I'm sure many of them have at least considered surgery.

Thanks Laika - can you view ravelry if you aren't a member? If so, I'll try to check it out...

Deb - you are welcome.

Jan in CA
09-11-2008, 04:10 PM
Thanks Laika - can you view ravelry if you aren't a member? If so, I'll try to check it out...

No, you have to be a member.

Sharly
09-11-2008, 04:17 PM
Thanks Jan :)

Dangles
09-11-2008, 05:09 PM
Sorry, no info here, but i'm in the same boat as Laikabear. I guess I'm fortunate that I have 'raisins on a bread board'. But good luck on your research.

Jan, good for you on the weight loss :)

Lucy78green
09-11-2008, 05:36 PM
Someone in the Bustline group in Ravelry posted a link to this documentary (BBC) called "my big breasts and me", I saw it on TV last year. There is a section where a girl who had the op shows her scars. I'm 34FF, but any back pain I have is work related (I think).
http://www.guba.com/watch/3000106762
The video link didn't work too well on my ancient computer though as the sound and picture were out of sync, but it seemed to work for everyone else :-)

jess_hawk
09-13-2008, 03:19 AM
I'm pretty big up front but part of that is my being overweight. I'm trying to lose some of that and hopefully that will get rid of enough from my chest also... Though I've always been big-chested so its literally cross my fingers and pray!

I knew one girl who had BR in high school because even at a perfect weight for her (she was the sister of a friend of mine, so I don't know what that weight was or anything, I just know that she was NOT overweight at ALL), she still had disproportionately large breasts (enough to cause back problems). After the surgery she literally glowed! She was so beautiful, but had previously been in a situation where literally all anybody could see in her was her chest.

kristaj
09-13-2008, 12:52 PM
I had BR 5 years ago, and it was the best decision I ever made. I wore an F, suffered from debilitating back pain, yeast infection rashes under my boobs, and had horrible asthma. Now I'm a C, the only back pain I have is due to the stress of teaching, no more rashes, and hardly ever have breathing problems. I do have a lot of scarring, but no more than what you are supposed to have with this type of surgery and a little bit of loss of sensation. There is supposed to be a new laser BR surgery that causes very little scarring. This was not available 5 years ago. The recovery is quite easy. Of all the surgeries I've had: wisdom teeth, thyroid, 2 c-sections and BR, this was the easiest by far. After the very first post op period was over I did just fine with plain old Tylenol and ibuprofen. It is a little messy because the incisions ooze for a little while, but I just kept gauze pads in my bra until it stopped. I do suggest checking out several docs. There is only one plastic surgeon in the town where I live, but I wish now that I had gone to the major metroplex 2 hours away from me to look for a different doc. Mine did a wonderful job, I just did not like his bed side manner. When you go to a doctor who is going to be messing with your boobs, taking pics of them, etc. you should like them and feel comfortable with them. The only problem I had was with my DH. He never expressed an opinion that I shouldn't do it, but you could tell by his unspoken attitude that he wasn't happy. He is ok with it now and seems to like them quite well (you'd think they were just as much his :teehee: ). Insurance covered my entire surgery since it was medically necessary, but they did not cover the surgeon fees since he was out of my network. I was lucky though, my grandmother said that she had watched a friend suffer with way too big boobs and she didn't want me to, so she paid for the surgeon. All said and done I am completely happy with the surgery and if I could go back in time I would still do it. The only thing I would do differently is to drive 2 hours to find a surgeon who I liked. I also may have been able to find one that was in my insurance network if I had done this. Good luck with your decision, and if you have any other questions please feel free to PM me or reply to your thread. I'll be happy to help any way I can.

Puddinpop
09-13-2008, 09:45 PM
A friend of mine had BR. They cut up to the nipples and around them and then sewed them back on. She had tubes for drainage. I don't blame anyone for having it done for back relief. Anyone that is so called "small", I wish that they would think twice about having implants. I have gained weight and my breasts are not huge, but they do get in my way and I hate it. Just be happy that you are healthy. You will look younger when you reach my age with smaller breasts.