PDA

View Full Version : How to adapt this shrug pattern?

rosiknitzar
09-16-2008, 02:55 PM
http://www.berroco.com/exclusives/rena_venus/venus.html

I found what I want to knit, but I want to knit it faster--larger needles and I am using worsted weight yarn.

So how do I figure out how to adapt the # of sts for each section? What if I want to use a stitch pattern (not st st)--how do you deal with increases and dec and keep the st pattern?

I've only made rectangles so far...

rosiknitzar
09-16-2008, 03:03 PM
SHRUG
Back: With smaller straight needles, using CC, cast on 162(186) sts.
Row 1 (RS): K2, * p2, k2, rep from * across.
This part I don't understand:

Row 2: P2, * k2, p2, rep from * across. Rep these 2 rows until piece measures 5” from beg, end on RS. Change to circular needle and MC and p the next row, dec 67(77) sts evenly spaced across – 95(109) sts. Work even in St st for 1(2)”, end on WS.

Why the dec at this point? How do you make the dec "evenly spaved across"? How do you decide? Do you just k2tog? ssk?

suzeeq
09-16-2008, 03:04 PM
This is pretty much one piece - knit up the back, CO sts for the sleeves, then do the fronts and pick up sts around for the cuffs - see the drawing http://www.berroco.com/images/exclusives/nz/rena_venus/VENUS.gif

You might be able to knit the smaller size using larger needles, the original yarn is a worsted weight, the size 5 needles are for the ribbing. But you could try your yarn on size 10s and 8s and see if it will match the measurements you need.

suzeeq
09-16-2008, 03:08 PM
Row 2: P2, * k2, p2, rep from * across. Rep these 2 rows until piece measures 5” from beg, end on RS. Change to circular needle and MC and p the next row, dec 67(77) sts evenly spaced across – 95(109) sts. Work even in St st for 1(2)”, end on WS.
Why the dec at this point? How do you make the dec "evenly spaved across"? How do you decide? Do you just k2tog? ssk?

Yes, either ssk or k2tog, and evenly spaced means to spread them out over the entire row, not bunch them up. So you'd k1, k2tog or k2, k2tog across the row. The decs are because the ribbing is knit on much smaller needles, so the same number of sts measures less. To keep the same measurements, you have to have less sts on the larger needles.

rosiknitzar
09-16-2008, 03:56 PM
thank you for helping me. I like the idea of using larger needles and directions for smaller size.
Will knowing that I get 3sts to the inch help me? I think I get it. What about inc when I'm using a st pattern?

suzeeq
09-16-2008, 10:33 PM
If you want to start with smaller needles (like 8s), then switch to the larger ones as in the pattern, you'd make enough decs to equal the original gauge.... so the 67 sts in the original = about 19" worth, so for 3sts/inch that would be 57 sts. For the incs they're 1 on each end of a RS row 10 times which is 20 rows, or 4" in the original pattern, so it would be as many rows as 4" in your row gauge, probably you inc only 7 or 8 times. For the CO incs at the sleeves, CO the same number (2 or 3, but not as many times.