PDA

View Full Version : Reuseable Swiffer cover

NoraCVT
09-29-2008, 10:40 PM
I love this idea but I couldn't find a pattern that I liked, so I made up my own. It is just a basic checkerboard pattern made with Sugar 'n Creme. I back stitched the flaps close to the head and then whip-stitched the edges. I don't think it turned out too bad! :thumbsup:

Jan in CA
09-29-2008, 10:58 PM
Looks great! How's it work?

NoraCVT
09-29-2008, 11:11 PM
It works well - I shoved it under the couch and it came out covered in cat hair! Wait, maybe that's not the best test - **anything** that goes under the couch comes out covered in cat hair........ :)

Seriously, it seems to work well - I used it dry and it picked up like a cotton mop. I sprayed a little Pledge on it and it did nicely on the wood floors. Tomorrow I will try it wet on the kitchen floor and report back.

Doodknitwit
09-29-2008, 11:47 PM
let me know I have dog hair:roflhard: :eyes:

sgtpam
09-29-2008, 11:48 PM
What a great idea. Mine's not a Swiffer brand and it has slots with "teeth" on the top that you push the cloth in to hold it, so I don't know why you had to sew it to wrap around it.

I happened to have a small basketweave dishcloth out and I had to go right into the kitchen and try it. I like it!! I'll have to make some the right size for it. THANKS

:woohoo:

NoraCVT
09-29-2008, 11:51 PM
I debated about putting the pockets on the ends or not - my final thought was that perhaps the teeth would snag the stitches so I put on the pockets.

sgtpam
09-29-2008, 11:55 PM
That makes sense...I think I just won't use the "good" stuff. If they snag, it'll still be cheaper than buying the disposable ones.........thanks for the great idea!

NoraCVT
09-29-2008, 11:55 PM
One other thing that I noticed is that newer Swiffer heads are a bit bigger (front to back) than older ones. They are about the same left to right, but my older Swiffer is 4" front to back and the newer ones are 4.5". Not too big of a deal but the one I made here is 7 blocks (of 4 stitches) wide and I think I would only make it 6 wide for the older one.

Just something to keep an eye on.

Jan in CA
09-30-2008, 02:05 AM
What a great idea. Mine's not a Swiffer brand and it has slots with "teeth" on the top that you push the cloth in to hold it, so I don't know why you had to sew it to wrap around it.

I wouldn't shove the knitted cloth in those holes. I think the wrap around is the best way to do it.

And Nora, I sure know what you mean about cat hair under the couch! :lol:

Debkcs
09-30-2008, 02:32 AM
Great idea,Nora. I may see if I can make a few for Christmas gifts, yes, my friends are the types that enjoy stuff like that.

Thank you!

Slim
09-30-2008, 07:24 AM
What a great idea! I like the idea of a washable, non-disposable cover. I'll have to make some of these. Thanks for posting.

dustinac
09-30-2008, 09:04 AM
:happydance: Great idea and great job!!

GirlChris
09-30-2008, 03:58 PM
clever idea and it looks great

ArtLady1981
10-02-2008, 08:50 PM
Oh cute!! Love it!! And the fact that it is washable, reusable! Great job!!