PDA

View Full Version : What kind of stitch would this be?

AAngels
10-12-2008, 04:14 PM
Check out this web page and their is a cute hat there called
shar pai hat, love how that is done and would like to try and make it. They also have a scarf too.
www.tahajo.com can't seem to figure out this stitch.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Kathy:knitting:

suzeeq
10-12-2008, 04:30 PM
The scarf is a chevron type stitch - similar to this this one I think... http://www.knittingonthenet.com/stitches/chevron.htm

cam90066
10-12-2008, 04:32 PM
As for the hat, looks to be just reg stockinette but the yarn, based on how it's plied and/or twisted, may be causing it to look more like |/ than the traditional \/. The hat it worked long and allowed to slouch.

cam

AAngels
10-12-2008, 05:22 PM
Very different. Can't find a pattern like it.

suzeeq
10-12-2008, 06:29 PM
You could try this hat pattern - http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=213038.0 with maybe a few less sts for the cast on, then just knit a tube with the same finishing or a more decreased one. It's quite similar, just worn a different way.

AAngels
10-12-2008, 09:40 PM
Thanks

Spokaloo
10-13-2008, 05:34 PM
There is a stitch that actually knits wrinkles into the fabric. It's in the Vogue Stitchionary Volume I, but I can't remember what it's called or how it works.:??

I'll try to remember to look it up tonight and let you know tomorrow.

AAngels
10-13-2008, 08:48 PM
Thank u

Spokaloo
10-14-2008, 05:59 PM
I found it! It's called a Pucker Stitch. Here's what the books says to do:

Cast on 40 sts (don't forget the book is just creating a swatch; you can cast on as many sts as you want/need).
Row 1: Knit
Row 2: Purl. Repeat rows 1 & 2 (St St) for 23 rows total.
Row 24: P3, reach down 10 rows and pick up stitch bump for 4th st in that row and place on left needle, purl together that stitch bump and the next st on your needle (pucker st made); repeat over next 17 sts; purl remaining sts in row..
Row 25-47: Work St St.
Row 48: Purl 20 sts, do pucker sts in next 18 sts, purl remaining sts in row.
Repeat Rows 1-48 as needed.

The picture in the book shows very straight and even puckers, while the hat in your link shows them very NOT straight, rather meandering. I haven't tried this yet, but I'll bet you get that result by working the pucker sts at different levels in each section. For example, in your first set of pucker sts, work the first 2-3 sts 10 rows down, then move down another row and do 3-4 sts, move up 3 rows and do a few more, etc. before resuming your St st. You'd have to experiment, but I'll bet that's how it's done!

Hope that helps! Post some pics if you get a chance! I'd sure like to see how you do if you decide to go ahead!

AAngels
10-14-2008, 06:04 PM
OHG,
Thanks I will give it a try as soon as I am done with the current project I am doing.

I might have to buy that book too. So I can see pictures. Where did u find the book? I know Amazon has it.

Thanks so much for your time looking.

Kathy

Spokaloo
10-14-2008, 07:57 PM
You are certainly welcome! And Amazon.com is where I found it. It's kind of spendy (or else I'm just cheap which may be closer to the truth!!), but it has a lot of wonderful stitch patterns that you can adapt to dress up those generic patterns, like bare bones cardigans and socks, to make them uniquely yours!