PDA

View Full Version : Hey there..

ladydorkness
10-13-2008, 10:44 AM
Hi my name is Cassie. I am new here to knittinghelp.com, and new to knitting! In fact, I don't even have a knitting kit yet, which will hopefully change today. I was wondering if any of you guys could give me some pointers on where to begin? Thanks in advance!

Puddinpop
10-13-2008, 10:48 AM
Go to the home page on this sight and find an easy pattern. After that, look at the videos on the home page and practice. You can then start on your pattern. Also, read, read, read about knitting. This forum is great about giving tips on the Questions and Answers.

Abbily
10-13-2008, 10:50 AM
Welcome! I love your screen name. :) Any advice I could give you would only be good if you plan to become completely addicted to knitting- if not you wouldn't want to spend the money. :) I would find an easy pattern, get the needles and yarn you need for that pattern, and see where it takes you. Then if you become addicted, we can give you all sorts of advice on the best tools and yarns. :)

ladydorkness
10-13-2008, 11:05 AM
thanks guys, this is much appreciated!

dustinac
10-13-2008, 11:11 AM
:woot: Welcome to KH!! You will be addicted to knitting (and here) in no time :teehee:

ladydorkness
10-13-2008, 11:15 AM
:woot: Welcome to KH!! You will be addicted to knitting (and here) in no time :teehee:

:D That's what I'm counting on!

ladydorkness
10-13-2008, 11:17 AM
About how much do knitting kits usually run for anyways?

sgtpam
10-13-2008, 11:20 AM
My advice for yarn
1. Resist the temptation of all that fancy, sparkly, fuzzy, "fun" yarn till later. Anything fuzzy or furry looks great on the store shelf...leave it there for now! Save those for after you are comfortable with your new talent.:wall:
2. Also resist any really thin yarn, it can also be frustrating if you're just learning the basic stiches :hair:
3. A nice medium, acrylic is great to learn on...some are softer than others
4. CLEARANCE! Go straight to the clearance yarn (ask if you don't see it). :woohoo:

HAPPY KNITTING :knitting:

ladydorkness
10-13-2008, 11:22 AM
My advice for yarn
1. Resist the temptation of all that fancy, sparkly, fuzzy, "fun" yarn till later. Anything fuzzy or furry looks great on the store shelf...leave it there for now! Save those for after you are comfortable with your new talent.:wall:
2. Also resist any really thin yarn, it can also be frustrating if you're just learning the basic stiches :hair:
3. A nice medium, acrylic is great to learn on...some are softer than others
4. CLEARANCE! Go straight to the clearance yarn (ask if you don't see it). :woohoo:

HAPPY KNITTING :knitting:

Great thanks! :mrgreen:

suzeeq
10-13-2008, 11:58 AM
You don't really have to buy a kit, it's much less expensive to get some medium thick, smooth light colored yarn and needles about size 10/6mm. That's all you need to start.

cindycactus
10-13-2008, 01:35 PM
You don't really have to buy a kit, it's much less expensive to get some medium thick, smooth light colored yarn and needles about size 10/6mm. That's all you need to start.
suzeeq is right. And the videos on this site are great and you will learn so much if you watch them over and over till you have each stitch down. It takes practice and more practice. Good luck and welcome to the best knitting site on the web. :happydance:

gailf
10-13-2008, 01:50 PM
Watch the videos.
I couldnt figure out how to even cast on until I saw the video here.
I cant believe how much I learned in the past few months.

Jan in CA
10-13-2008, 01:55 PM
Welcome to Knitting Help!! :yay:

I agree, no kit is necessary. I suggest getting some nice, soft worsted weight yarn like Caron Simply Soft and some US size 8 or 9 needles. That's all you really need to learn to knit. To actually learn how to cast on and the stitches you can view the KH videos linked at the top of the page. If you need to have still pictures to print out and sit next to you while you learn (I did) check out these sites, too.

http://www.lionbrand.com/cgi-bin/faq-search.cgi?store=/stores/eyarn&learnToKnit=1
http://community.knitpicks.com/notes

ladydorkness
10-13-2008, 05:31 PM

Okay thank you. :)

ladydorkness
10-13-2008, 07:00 PM
Thanks to EVERYONE who replied to my thread, you've all been a big help! :aww:

mks22300
10-13-2008, 07:11 PM
Welcome to Knitting Help! Knitting is lots of fun and you'll be addicited as soon as you get the hang of it! :)

davespurl
10-14-2008, 10:43 AM
Welcome and good luck with your knitting endeavor! I hope you wind up loving it as much as we all do!!!

ladydorkness
10-14-2008, 11:27 AM
I know I will it's just taking a little time to get the hang of it. :)

Wanda Witch
10-14-2008, 01:06 PM
Practive, practice and a little more of the same. I feel if you want to learn to knit you can. The videos here are superb and there is always someone here to answer any question you might have. As others have stated no kit is necessary yet. Just keep it up, you will become another addict. Welcome aboard... :thumbsup:

Abbily
10-14-2008, 03:02 PM
I'll third or fourth the "skip the kit" advice. Check out the "Knitters Knear You" section- you might find someone that would be willing to get together with you and help you learn. Knitters are a friendly bunch. :)

Knitting_Guy
10-14-2008, 04:19 PM
Welcome to KH!

I agree with the others on not bothering with a kit. Get a decent pair of needles in a comfortable size, 9 or 10, and some worsted weight yarn that feels nice to the touch, and just start knitting.

Don't expect your knitting to be perfect at first, just work on getting the hang of knits and purls, worry about even tension and such once you're comfortable with the stitches.

It takes time and patience to get the hang of it, but it's also very relaxing if you don't allow yourself to stress over minor mistakes (or even major ones) as that's just part of the learning process.

You'll be addicted before you know it :mrgreen:

ladydorkness
10-14-2008, 07:04 PM
I'll third or fourth the "skip the kit" advice. Check out the "Knitters Knear You" section- you might find someone that would be willing to get together with you and help you learn. Knitters are a friendly bunch. :)

I just might do that.

KnittingNana
10-19-2008, 10:39 PM
Welcome from one newbie to another. I'll go along with all the others about "the kit". Do you have a tote bag? Put your yarn & needles in one to keep everything together in one place. As you add little items such as a yarn needle (to tuck the yarn tails with), markers, row counter, etc, put those in a smaller zipper bag, like an old make-up bag or just a baggie.

One thing that helps me is using sticky notes as you go along the rows in a pattern. I use a row counter too in case I lose the sticky note. LOL!

Good luck!

Knitting_Guy
10-21-2008, 12:19 PM
Row counters are invaluable, just make sure to jot down the number on the counter when you set down your knitting. It's amazing how those things can be accidentally bumped and the number changed.

lelvsdgs
10-21-2008, 12:26 PM
Welcome!! I'm going to agree with everyone else about the kit thing. I would recommend that along with other recommendations that you do get a row counter. It will make it easier to keep track of what you are doing until you get the hang of what is what.

Be patient with yourself and above all have fun!!! And the folks on this site are invaluable for support information and advice!:happydance: