PDA

View Full Version : Sock pattern that creates the gusset first

KarenLynn
10-14-2008, 03:55 PM
I have come across a sock pattern that makes the gusset first and the heel second. I love it. It is easy and doesn't create holes. I am having difficultly though with scaling the pattern. I dunno how to do this. The pattern is written for size 0 needles.
Oh, and the pattern is in the knitting simple magazine on page 78. I am sorry, I don't know the issue.

Any one have any other sock patterns that knit the gusset first??

Jan in CA
10-14-2008, 04:44 PM
You mean before any other part of the sock? :?? Is it a toe up or cuff down?

KarenLynn
10-14-2008, 04:55 PM
It's a top down. Instead of working the heel flap first, the gusset is knitted first then the heel is turned.

KarenLynn
10-14-2008, 05:10 PM
okay, bumping and checking to see if my siggy shows up.

KarenLynn
10-14-2008, 05:11 PM
Yay me! My link in my siggy works!

Jan in CA
10-14-2008, 05:15 PM
I've never heard of a sock like that. Interesting! Be sure to post a picture in What'cha Knittin' when you're done.

And also welcome to KH!

KarenLynn
10-14-2008, 06:31 PM
My digital camera broke. I will have to see if I can get a friend to take a picture. I made a pair of baby socks using the pattern on size 2 needles. I made them for my one year old. They are still a bit big as I didn't have the right size needles.
They are really cute. I used self-striping fair-isle sockotta yarn.

KarenLynn
10-14-2008, 09:20 PM
Bump

Jan in CA
10-14-2008, 10:22 PM
No need to bump the thread. This forum doesn't move as fast so someone will see it eventually. They may be like me though and never heard of it. :shrug:

KarenLynn
10-15-2008, 06:51 AM
Yes, I have noticed between yesterday and this morning that the chatter is not like I am used to at SCS (Splitcoast Stampers).

Jan in CA
10-15-2008, 11:22 AM
Yes, I have noticed between yesterday and this morning that the chatter is not like I am used to at SCS (Splitcoast Stampers).

Sometimes it's very busy in here, but this section of the forum isn't ever as busy. However, it may be that no one knows the answer to your question, too. What exactly are you trying to do with the pattern? Make it bigger or smaller? The needle size is in relation to the yarn weight. Fingering weight yarn needs those tiny needles.

Mirl56
10-15-2008, 11:46 AM
Can you tell what issue of Knitting Simple it's in? Or even what the name of the pattern is, I can search for it at Ravelry that way.

Sounds curious - can't quite envision it either.

KarenLynn
10-15-2008, 01:10 PM
Sorry, I can't tell you what issue as I ripped it out of the magazine.

It is from Knit Simple, page78. It was pattern #10 (a group of patterns within a section of the mag) called, "Ladies' Socks". It uses Regia Java Fresh Cotton Color yarn.

I am looking to be able to knit it on larger needles. So I am clueless how to figure out what number of stitches to increase the gusset to. The directions for the gusset after knitting the ribbing and leg are [given a CO of 64 (72)]:
Rnd 1: Needle 1: knit, needle 2: k1, m1, k to last st, Mk, k1
Rnd 2. knit. Knit until you have a total of 60 (64) stitches on needle 2. end with a round 2, knit across needle 1.

I know I can figure out how many original stitches to CO, just confused right here because I want to use sz2 needles which will obviously change the gauge of the sock.

I made these socks for my baby using size 2 needles and the infant directions. They are still a bit big, but I was hopeful.
It is a fun and very easy pattern.

KarenLynn
10-15-2008, 01:17 PM
Found it!!!

http://www.sixthandspringbooks.com/product_info.php?&products_id=353

You will see the socks in the center of the groups of photos.

I made a baby socks in Sockotta.

KarenLynn
10-15-2008, 01:20 PM
I am so excited I found it! (it doesn't take much to please me)
I just had to come back to say that.
You may return to regularly scheduled activities.

Mirl56
10-15-2008, 03:25 PM
LOL -

I'm pretty sure I have that issue. I'll try to find it when I get home and take a look at the pattern.

Mirl56
10-18-2008, 05:43 PM
I have the issue. the constructin is a bit different, isn't it. Quite interesting, really. The photo on pg 38 of the sock has the description on the next page and describes it as an increased gusset heel sock. The only other patterns like that I've been able to find are toe-up; this one is top down.

Anyway, back to your original question - what yarn and what size needles are you planning to use? It gives a guage of 32 sts = 4" - are you getting anything close to that with your needles of choice?

KarenLynn
10-20-2008, 12:01 PM
Around 29 stitches to 4 inches. I want to use size two needles. Alas, I guess I guess I just got to play with the pattern and see what I figure out. Thanks for all of your help!