PDA

View Full Version : As a project becomes unwieldy...

janettle
10-14-2008, 04:00 PM
So I'm currently knitting a 6-foot scarf, and my next planned project is an afghan. I'm wondering how to handle the bulkiness as the project grows.

The scarf is around 3 feet long now and turning my knitting is getting to be more and more time-consuming as I need to un-twist the longer length about every other time I turn the knitting.

As this gets longer, I'm thinking of maybe rolling the length into a "jelly roll" shape and tying it with waste yarn, or maybe stuffing the bulk into a net bag of some kind, so that I don't have to stand up everytime I need to un-twist.

I've never seen this issue addressed anywhere, and I'm wondering what people do.

Thank you for your help.

DorothyDot
10-14-2008, 04:34 PM
Hi,

I can't speak for anyone else, but as for me - I just let it twist, if a scarf. So long as I can knit back and forth in pattern, the rest sort of twists. Sometimes I let it rest in my lap and, if long enough, the puppy curls up on it as I work.

For afghans, I just spread out the part I've completed over my lap while watching tv or riding in the car or whatever. During the current row, I usually can shift it from side to side with not much effort. New row = flip it over. Or sometimes I can fold it like side edges together and it is a bit more compact.

It's a matter of personal taste, really. If you feel better tying the finished portion into a ball or a roll, go for it. The wrinkles will likely block out or settle out with use. Of course, measurements are a tad more difficult in this case...

Hope this helps,
Dot

katknit
10-14-2008, 04:50 PM
I simply pay attention to the way I turn it, so it doesn't twist. Or, I switch to continental and never have to turn it at all. But I think your suggestion would probably work fine.

cam90066
10-14-2008, 05:12 PM
If you're working flat, alternate your turns on your RS and WS rows. Turn the ndls clockwise on one, ccw on the other. Each cw or ccw turn will untwist the previous row. This also works well when working with multiple skeins.

cam

teachermom
10-14-2008, 05:42 PM
I let it twist or actually try to pay attention, twist one way for a row and then go the other way for the next row... this was mentioned in one of the posts above.

The other thing that I've found helpful is using circular needles... If I know that I'll be working on a large/heavy project, I'll use the circular needles, but work straight. The weight of the project rests on the cable of circular needle and then can rest on your lap unlike straight needles that make you hold the weight of the project with your hands and arms.

Sometimes I just have to sit on the couch to work and spread my work out. I also find that a foot stool or even a nursing/typing stool helps. It raises my knees and then it is easier to balance my work on my lap. I do save my smaller projects for travel and keep the large projects at home.

Try different things until you find one that works the best for you. Sometimes you have to do something different for each project that you make.

Happy knitting

ecb
10-14-2008, 06:08 PM
Fold it, using a hair elastic (called a wiggy from here on in)
but make the folds in measurements of one foot like a Z or W
that is how I do it, when I was doing my size 24 top down knee length cardigan. I folded the sleeves in then sholders back, then made a neat square like in the store, and rolled like to fit in a drawer
it was still heavy, but not unmanageable.
I did a 15' scarf once
am I evil or what?

ecb

Mike
10-14-2008, 06:22 PM
IMO the jelly roll point is the worst. But the breaks after every row give your wrists a rest and it gives you time to inspect the work.

Once it gets where the bottom will lay independent of the top letting it twist and untwist isn't so bad.

linknit41
10-14-2008, 06:46 PM
janettle, i'm working on a Homespun afghan which is getting pretty big and heavy as it nears completion. i keep it in a laundry basket, and every few rows, just pick it up and untwist it. linknit41