PDA

View Full Version : The Kankuamo

Andres
10-16-2008, 06:15 PM
Today, two representatives of the Kankuamo (a native american community) came to our school.

Someone asked about the bags (mochilas) they were wearing, and the woman explained that when they knit, they're actually "writing". She said that their feelings get into their knitting (that's why they don't knit while feeling angry).

She also said that knitting a bag is like the creation of the universe (according to their beliefs), so, they start from the bottom of the bag...

Interesting!... isn't it?

thepurplegg
10-16-2008, 06:58 PM
Do you have any pictures of the type of bag? Sounds cool :D

Andres
10-16-2008, 08:18 PM
Do you have any pictures of the type of bag? Sounds cool :D

No.

By the way, when they noticed people were taking photographs, the man said:

"please, don't take more photographs. that's enough. Photographs take energy away from us"...

...or something like that...

thepurplegg
10-16-2008, 11:46 PM
Oh ok. Definately don't wanna do that. Interesting culture! I'd never heard that before.

I googled it just to get an idea, and they look like backpack type bags... I don't wanna take away their energy, but I was curious what they looked like! I figure if the people who made them were willing to put the pics online, they aren't as strict about that.

The link is here: http://www.hilosylanas.com/tag/mochilas/

KnittingNinja
10-17-2008, 12:26 AM
Wow... that sounds really awesome. One doesn't really think about knitting all poetically like that, but it's an interesting way to look at it. What's just a fun hobby for us is a cultural thingamajig with them... Awesome :knitting:

GinnyG
10-17-2008, 07:54 AM
I have always said knitting was a "Zen" experience!!

Thanks for that intersting bit.

catcook
10-17-2008, 08:37 AM
Thats very interesting, and those bags in the link are so cute. >^,,^<

Andres
10-17-2008, 04:06 PM
In fact, mochilas always have 1 strap (at least the ones they make).

I found this picture. The guy is not a kankuamo, but, that's what the bags look like:

Jessbreath
10-17-2008, 04:17 PM
That's so cool! Yeah, I have always found knitting to be a meditative thing too. If anybody is interested I just got this great book Zen and the Art of Knitting by Bernadette Murphy. A good read, this post just reminded me of the book!

thepurplegg
10-17-2008, 06:58 PM
Oh ok thanks for the pic Andres!!! Wow the bag is beautiful. It's fun to see knitting from other cultures and how much it means to them.

knitasha
10-17-2008, 08:49 PM
They look a bit like some of the designs by the indigenous people of Peru and Ecuador. Do you know whether they knit holding the yarn around their necks, as people in Peru and other places (Greece, for one) do?

I found this article about the Kankuamo.
http://www.minorityrights.org/?lid=5392
They and their culture seem to be endangered both by assimilation and politics. Very sad.

I have been two Colombia twice, once to Bogota and Cartagena on business, once to Cali to visit a cousin. I think that most norteamericanos do not know what a beautiful and diverse county it is.

Andres
10-17-2008, 11:53 PM
Do you know whether they knit holding the yarn around their necks, as people in Peru and other places (Greece, for one) do?

No... I don't know... :shrug:

...thanks for the link, knitasha! :)

I have been two Colombia twice, once to Bogota and Cartagena on business, once to Cali to visit a cousin. I think that most norteamericanos do not know what a beautiful and diverse county it is.

I'm glad you think so. :)