PDA

View Full Version : Need advice for hat measurement

hartleystudio
10-16-2008, 09:43 PM
Hi:

I'm trying to knit my daughter a hat. I want to just knit a tube and then close the top so it looks like horns (she's two, she deserves them) and then finish it with tassels or something. She has a 19" noggin and I'm going to do all stockinette with a bamboo/wool yarn. With that rolled edge, how much stretch should I allow for? I eed to swatch again, I'm having trouble getting a good gauge in the round, as usual.

When I DO get a gauge, should I just divide for 19" or should I make it a little tighter? I've looked for hours on Ravelry and can't find an example to use.

Thanks!!

Ann

suzeeq
10-16-2008, 10:37 PM
If you use a stretchy CO, you should probably make it an inch or so smaller. Hats stretch pretty well, but only to the limits of the CO.

Jan in CA
10-16-2008, 11:11 PM
Use any baby hat pattern that would fit, but don't do the decreases. That seems like it would work.
http://www.theyarncorner.com/rolledbrimstretchhat.pdf

hartleystudio
10-17-2008, 12:17 PM
I guess I was just looking for advice on how many inches I should cast on for. I'm knitting 6 sts/1" on #6's and I don't know if I should cast on for 18" or 17.5 or what. I think I'm looking for info on negative ease. I think I will try for an inch like suzeq said and see where that gets me.

suzeeq
10-17-2008, 12:20 PM
You only need to knit for about 3-4" to see if that will be okay, so if that's not the right size, you can start over easily.

hartleystudio
10-17-2008, 12:23 PM
Thanks, that's a good thought. I already knit a whole hat for her and it's like a beanie on her. I'm just wanting this one to work out, it's getting so cold here!!

Thanks!

Jan in CA
10-17-2008, 01:57 PM
Try it on as you are 'think' you are nearly done and you can tell if you need to knit more so it's not beanie like.

hartleystudio
10-19-2008, 10:40 PM
Jan in CA and suzeeq, thank you so much for the advice! I did what both of you said and it's almost done, it's really cute and I'm pretty sure it's going to fit. She moves pretty fast and is a little devil so she won't try the hat on because she knows I want her to. I got it on her enough that I'm pretty sure it's the right size. I'll post a pic when it's done.

Thanks so much again!!! :muah: